Final Fantasy XIII-2 Announced. Coming out 2011 in Japan

Allow me to level into this game a bit now that I've progressed a bit.

#1 - Wild Artefacts being required to progress is a stupid idea. Especially since you'll be unaware when you need them.

#2 - Having to get a Pre-Emptive Strike to get a 5-star rating is almost always required to get a 5-star rating. It stinks.

#3 - Some of these side-quests are pretty terrible. 100% of the Bestiary. 100% of Map Completion. I'm assuming there will be an all items one, too, because this thing loves to hate me.

#4 - The Story. I'm nearing the end of Chapter 4 and I think the only big WTF moment was
when Serah yelled at Hope through time to stop making a monster and did. Also when Hope traveled 300 years in time for no damn reason.
Other than that, it's...okay, but maybe my brain just shut itself off early on and I can no longer pay attention to it.

#5 - The Crystarium/Monster Raising. It sucks that you can screw yourself over by not knowing how to raise a monster/Serah/Noel. The game should really just have each Role separated out into their own Crystarium until you can get everything. As is, it went from brain dead simple to overly complicated when all they needed to do was make customization more apparent.

This game is good, but it still has a lot of problems, like its' predecessor. At least with XIII's story you could kind of enjoy it. I also hate the loading times and framerate issues. The lack of polish really shows. I can only imagine in FFXIII that
all of this was in Lightning's mind because she was doing Crystal as a drug or something.

Beastiary isn't actually that bad once you get the battlemaster 'perk' or something like that. The map completion is more of a pain because of each zone breakdown. No items though, thank god.

And believe me, I felt like a complete idiot figuring out that the large nodes were giving bonuses to whatever role I filled them with once I was level 17 or something. Luckily I had been spacing things out well enough that my stats weren't completely fucked, but I could've min/maxed so much more.

I got all the artefacts except the beastiary. I went back and tried to enjoy the game again after I beat it a month earlier and found that I dont even want to look at the game anymore. Maybe one day if there is a FFXIII-3, I'll play them all in order again. If not, then I'll wait for the next iteration or a FFVII remake lol.

There's one thing I also hate. Enemies that are randomly a lot stronger than the enemies you're fighting in a particular area, especially since you can't avoid them usually. This has happened to me a lot in this game, and against the last boss I fought.
THAT fuckING CHEATING ODIN MOTHERfuckER!
I had to bump it down to Easy against him because he's a cheating ass. I'll be back though. Once I can reverse time in this area, I'm coming back maxed out and decimating his sorry butt.

I haven't been back since I beat it. I had my character pretty high before the end but one of the optional bosses was giving me issues. I might play again sometime, but not anytime soon. I wish they would have released some decent story driven dlc for it. I think I have like 4 fragments to go, but a few don't seem like they are worth the trouble. Watched the extended special ending on YouTube and thought it was more pointless that the normal Ending, which was meh

This game is kind of wearing on me, to be honest. I've hit a part of the game where they are just padding it out. The same thing over and over again, with more of these things to do again and again. It's boring. In addition to having to find Wild Artefacts to progress, along with a story that hasn't quite gone off the deep end for me yet, it makes me wonder if Square knows how to develop great games anymore.

EDIT:
Alright that's it. I've had enough of this shit. I'm taking a break from this. It's worn me down to the point where I can't take it anymore. Padding, bullshit side quests that I need to do to get fucking Wild Artefacts to progress. No clear story direction at the moment, and haven't had one for hours. Absolutely terrible. I'm going back to Arkham City, finish up the DLC Challenges before the Harley Quinn DLC comes out.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='KingBroly']This game is kind of wearing on me, to be honest. I've hit a part of the game where they are just padding it out. The same thing over and over again, with more of these things to do again and again. It's boring. In addition to having to find Wild Artefacts to progress, along with a story that hasn't quite gone off the deep end for me yet, it makes me wonder if Square knows how to develop great games anymore.

EDIT:
Alright that's it. I've had enough of this shit. I'm taking a break from this. It's worn me down to the point where I can't take it anymore. Padding, bullshit side quests that I need to do to get fucking Wild Artefacts to progress. No clear story direction at the moment, and haven't had one for hours. Absolutely terrible. I'm going back to Arkham City, finish up the DLC Challenges before the Harley Quinn DLC comes out.[/QUOTE]

How the hell did you plat Arkham City but you can't plow through Xiii-2 which is much easier?

I wrote a Trophy Guide for Arkham City. That's how. I also got Plat on AA. They're not really time consuming games, nor do they require mental toughness to get through. XIII and XIII-2 require them, as well as endurance.

I'm going to get back into it soon actually. I just need a breather from the BS of padding that the game had for a while there. Hopefully I'm past the worst of it.

Just beat it. I really hate that final area. I thought I was overpowered going into that final area and it felt like I was constantly under-leveled. The difficulty curve was not kind for this game.

As far as the story goes...I don't really mind the ending. People complaining about it either haven't been paying attention to it or just watched it on youtube, because it made sense to me. More than it probably should have. They said it would happen, too.
The cheery music while it's happening at the end though...I don't get it. It's like their making fun of the situation.
The story as a whole makes no sense, but the ending was okay.

I think it's time for Square to hire people who can actually write stories though. I think this 2-game, possibly 3-game experiment has gone on long enough.

[quote name='panzerfaust']You are completely beyond my understanding, lord broly. Any story makes sense when you throw in "a god did it."[/QUOTE]

I was mainly referring to
Serah dying and hell being unleashed. They said Serah was a Yeul reincarnation, and that Caius had the goddess in his heart. I don't exactly know how the power was supposed to be trasnferred to Noel though. I would've liked a better explanation for that. Lightning came and said 'if Etro dies, hell will destroy everything.

Now the only shit that doesn't make sense to me was
everyone can time travel all of a sudden for no damn reason.

[quote name='KingBroly']Just beat it. I really hate that final area. I thought I was overpowered going into that final area and it felt like I was constantly under-leveled. The difficulty curve was not kind for this game.[/QUOTE]
By the time I finally got to the end, I was nearly max level. You have no idea what a joke it becomes since you can just turn on relentless assault and things die. Really cheapened the game for me having no real challenges until I started going after the l'cie in the Steppe.

When I beat the game I had cleared Stage 16 of the Crystarium. So the last part was a bit rough for me. I'm going through the other areas to get the rest of the Fragments and some of these are extremely convoluted and roundabout to get. I read up on one
that's a Paradox Ending
and I have no idea how I'll ever beat that. I have about 120 Fragments now, which is a good thing.

I'm glad you guys are posting this information because between this game and XIII I think these will be the first two FF games I'll pass on playing (and I've played them all save 11 and 14), I still have 13 sealed at home. I'll just wait till versus comes out and play it instead and maybe give my copy of 13 away so I don't waste my time on it. (just like I skipped the Gamefly sale because of what I've read about it, not worth the time for any price and I have better RPG's to spend my time with like Xenoblade which I haven't played more than 15 mins. of anyway)

I just got Platinum in this before the House finale started. 56:25:02 is my final save time. It would've taken me 2-3 hours sooner if I realized I got the Lucky Coin Fragment earlier.

Overall, I like XIII more than XIII-2. For starters, XIII is just a more polished game. The story is better, although I thought the ending was better here. As a starter Final Fantasy, I wouldn't recommend it. I'd recommend any 2D game before this. I wouldn't recommend XII before this since XII is really hard.

The DLC isn't much either. Especially the Valhalla Lightning Scenario, which is just flat out terrible.

I enjoyed it on the whole I guess. Poor framerate and loading times really hurt this for me though.

[quote name='uncle5555']I'm glad you guys are posting this information because between this game and XIII I think these will be the first two FF games I'll pass on playing (and I've played them all save 11 and 14), I still have 13 sealed at home. I'll just wait till versus comes out and play it instead and maybe give my copy of 13 away so I don't waste my time on it. (just like I skipped the Gamefly sale because of what I've read about it, not worth the time for any price and I have better RPG's to spend my time with like Xenoblade which I haven't played more than 15 mins. of anyway)[/QUOTE]

If own already own it, play it for an hour. That's enough time to tell if you'll enjoy it or not, and you might enjoy it a whole lot. It's well made, it's just kind of a love or hate it experience.

bread's done
Back