Final Fantasy XIII Date announced, $56.99 at Amazon.

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']
For those who haven't experienced a FF, jump in with both feet. It's the best series of all time (minus XII). Then, go back and play 6, 7, 9, 10 and 10-2. Then PM me and thank me. :D[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Ryuukishi']No love for IV or V, or even the original? And you're the one who feels old? :)

Besides, XII is tied with VI as the best game in the series. :cool:[/QUOTE]

I agree, Final Fantasy is my all-time favorite series of games. I played the first one to death when I was a kid, but FF Tactics and XII are my two favorite. XII had by far my favorite battle system of the main series, although some may consider the story a little weak in comparison to the other FF's. I liked it though.

chubbyninja, I cannot believe you would put X-2 in the same league as the others. The battle system was pretty mediocre, but the story just didn't suck you in like the storyline in the other games. I would think most people would say X-2 is the weakest in the series... but maybe I'm wrong? I can understand that maybe someone wouldn't like XII because the battle system is different... but I just couldn't get myself to devote even 20 hours of playtime on X-2.

[quote name='addicted2games']Not connected to the others in any way and it not one of the best of the series. Parts 2,3,4,7 are great starters into the series.[/QUOTE]

2 is regarded as one of the worst games ever, not really newbie friendly. I feel like FF games are like Entenmann's cakes, everyone has a favorite. I will agree that IV is a great game though, it was my first Final Fantasy.

I think starting with one of the DS or PS1 titles might be a good idea. XII doesn't really feel like a Final Fantasy game, so it would be an odd place to start.

I'm really hoping for a CE... I hardly get CE's but FF13 is my most anticipated upcoming game. In fact there are a few CE's I'll be getting... GoW3 and ME2, but I REALLY hope they announce one for FF13

[quote name='sabanoo']I'm kind of surprised you'd want to after FF III. The game where your party should consist of all Red Mages :lol:
Hoping for a nice LE/CE this time instead of the FF XII Gamestop meh edition.[/QUOTE]

Heh - well, it was the first one I played and I liked it. FF IV did seem much easier though ;).

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']Wow, I can't get over how many people are saying they haven't played or purchased a FF title. Makes me feel old. Thats like saying "you know, I don't think I've ever brushed my teeth" or "Gosh, I've never worn a shirt before". I can't wrap my head around it.

For those who haven't experienced a FF, jump in with both feet. It's the best series of all time (minus XII). Then, go back and play 6, 7, 9, 10 and 10-2. Then PM me and thank me. :D[/QUOTE]

I haven't gotten myself to pull the trigger on downloading VII for my PS3. I just don't have the time for it given all the other things I'd want to play first. And did you play Zork or the original text-based Adventure on the old Vax or PDP-11 systems? I just viewed FF as some sort of new-fangled fad for the kiddies to play compared to those. So don't talk about feeling old.

But damn did it cheese me off to be in Gamestop today and hear their promo for NSMB Wii where the two guys were getting into it over how old they were when they played the NES SMB. One said he was in 8th grade and the other put him down saying he was in 5th grade. Man, wanna talk about feeling old (I was in college when the NES came out). I guess I need to come to grips with the fact that I'm no longer in the prime 18-35 marketing demographic ;).

I thought I was old and I was 5 when I played Super Mario Bros. in the laundromat arcade. My first home console was a Super Nintendo. Guess I lose some nerd points for that.

[quote name='willardhaven']I thought I was old and I was 5 when I played Super Mario Bros. in the laundromat arcade. My first home console was a Super Nintendo. Guess I lose some nerd points for that.[/QUOTE]

I am old, my first home console was an Intellivision. Yep, been gaming for almost 30 YEARS!!!

I really enjoyed 12, even though you could spam the hell out of Quickenings/Concurrences for most of the game, to the point where some bosses won't even get an attack off.

[quote name='diddy310']I really enjoyed 12, even though you could spam the hell out of Quickenings/Concurrences for most of the game, to the point where some bosses won't even get an attack off.[/QUOTE]

I thought Quiclenings were okay, but too risky if you didn't do them right. It was much easier to arm a tank with a strong weapon and shield and let them go to work. I only used Quickenings on enemies that were hard to finish off. For example like Espers who seemed to spam moves as they got closer to death.

Also why all the hate on FF8?

[quote name='speedrunner17']Also why all the hate on FF8?[/QUOTE]
Mostly because it was completely forgettable. Out of all the Final Fantasy's I've played, I can't remember anything great about FFVIII.

[quote name='Jodou']Mostly because it was completely forgettable. Out of all the Final Fantasy's I've played, I can't remember anything great about FFVIII.[/QUOTE]

Completely agree. I can give you a very vague run down of the Final Fantasy VII and Final Fantasy IX stories from the PSX eta, but if asked about Final Fantasy VIII, I'd probably have to stop and think really hard. :lol:

Anyway! Is there going to be anything different between the PS3 and 360 versions?

[quote name='mis0']Anyway! Is there going to be anything different between the PS3 and 360 versions?[/QUOTE]
Yes, PS3 will be on one disc (no install confirmed?) and the 360 will span multiple DVDs with a mandatory install. Other than that, it's preference on controller.

[quote name='Jodou']Yes, PS3 will be on one disc (no install confirmed?) and the 360 will span multiple DVDs with a mandatory install. Other than that, it's preference on controller.[/QUOTE]
Do not want 7 DVDs:cold:
Think I'll go with the PS3 version.

[quote name='newlu']Do not want 7 DVDs:cold:
Think I'll go with the PS3 version.[/QUOTE]

With PS3's implentation of netflix, the disc swapping argument doesn't work anymore.

As a netflix user with both consoles, here are my options:

-Get game on 360, play game til completion and get up 2x to swap discs. Each evening I can still watch a movie on netflix by just exiting to menu and starting movie.

-Get game on ps3, install game before playing and every night have to get up and swap to the netflix disc to watch a movie or tv show.

[quote name='newlu']Do not want 7 DVDs:cold:
Think I'll go with the PS3 version.[/QUOTE]This is just like, "PS3 haz no gaems!" never gets old...
The 360 version is going to have 3 discs.

[quote name='Fire_Thief']With PS3's implentation of netflix, the disc swapping argument doesn't work anymore.

-Get game on 360, play game til completion and get up 2x to swap discs. Each evening I can still watch a movie on netflix by just exiting to menu and starting movie.

-Get game on ps3, install game before playing and every night have to get up and swap to the netflix disc to watch a movie or tv show.[/QUOTE]

Since you have both couldn't you get the game on the PS3 and watch Netflix on the 360? Seems like the best of both worlds to me. You'd never have to swap a disc since that seems to be the deciding factor for you.
I do admit the disc for Netflix on the PS3 is :bomb::bomb::bomb:

[quote name='Zen Rukasu']This is just like, "PS3 haz no gaems!" never gets old...
The 360 version is going to have 3 discs.[/QUOTE]

Actually, it could be 3-4 or more...

A Few Discs: I met with Square-Enix people today to check out their holiday and early 2010 line-up. It was interesting to be with their U.S. PR reps just minutes after the release-date announcement trailer went live. One rep was happily refreshing GameTrailers, marveling at the rise in traffic on the clip. Given the excitement about the date, which promises both Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 releases of the game on March 9, 2010 in North America and Europe, I asked a question I see our readers asking frequently: How many discs will the 360 version require? The Square reps recalled that this was mentioned in a developer interview earlier this year and said that the goal is 3-4 discs. While we will know a lot more about Final Fantasy XIII once it is released in Japan in December, it seems that details about the 360 version — which isn't coming out in Japan — may take longer to become clear.

http://kotaku.com/5404225/notebook-dump-xiii-discs-reggies-ds-and-a-drone-update

Disk swapping does not bother me in the slightest since I grew up on PS1 RPGs, but I am going to purchase my FF13 on the PS3.

[quote name='Xiemos']Actually, it could be 3-4 or more...

A Few Discs: I met with Square-Enix people today to check out their holiday and early 2010 line-up. It was interesting to be with their U.S. PR reps just minutes after the release-date announcement trailer went live. One rep was happily refreshing GameTrailers, marveling at the rise in traffic on the clip. Given the excitement about the date, which promises both Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 releases of the game on March 9, 2010 in North America and Europe, I asked a question I see our readers asking frequently: How many discs will the 360 version require? The Square reps recalled that this was mentioned in a developer interview earlier this year and said that the goal is 3-4 discs. While we will know a lot more about Final Fantasy XIII once it is released in Japan in December, it seems that details about the 360 version — which isn't coming out in Japan — may take longer to become clear.

http://kotaku.com/5404225/notebook-dump-xiii-discs-reggies-ds-and-a-drone-update

Disk swapping does not bother me in the slightest since I grew up on PS1 RPGs, but I am going to purchase my FF13 on the PS3.[/QUOTE]Hey man! All I said was the 360 was going to have 3 discs! And if the total turns out to be 4, then hey, I'm still right!

The real problem with multiple discs is that you're going to need all of them to enjoy the game. In other words, If you lend your games out, or are not careful with your games, you might want to get the PS3 version just to be safe.

Wow I thought everyone had heard of if not played some FF. I've pretty much played them all. Can't remember the ones before VII since it's been so long, but I loved them all except X-2, and XII.... Hated XII, and X-2 was just X-2. I loved the old schools ones but my favorite is VII, and VIII. IX was wayyyy too easy for me. X was Blitzball. Loved me some Blitzball.

[quote name='Fire_Thief']With PS3's implentation of netflix, the disc swapping argument doesn't work anymore.

-Get game on ps3, install game before playing and every night have to get up and swap to the netflix disc to watch a movie or tv show.[/QUOTE]

That's the argument? The netflix situation is a temporary one - next year it will be incorporated into a firmware update. And like someone else said...you have both consoles, use 360 for netflix if you prefer, and PS3 for FFXIII. One FFXIII disc AND no netflix disc swapping. I seriously don't see the problem.

[quote name='Jodou']Mostly because it was completely forgettable. Out of all the Final Fantasy's I've played, I can't remember anything great about FFVIII.[/QUOTE]
Wow, couldn't disagree more. :) If any FF game is forgettable, it's IX. VIII is memorable for its experimental and flat-out strange gameplay concepts. It's like the II of the later series.

Seriously, what is the big deal with multiple discs. A bunch of Xbox 360 games, not to mention scads of PSX and PS2 games, came on multiple discs. You have to switch out which disc is in your console every 15-20 hours of gameplay, oh no. Do people really think that switching discs hurt the experience of Final Fantasy VII or Shadow Hearts Covenant? Why are we even talking about this?

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Seriously, what is the big deal with multiple discs. A bunch of Xbox 360 games, not to mention scads of PSX and PS2 games, came on multiple discs. You have to switch out which disc is in your console every 15-20 hours of gameplay, oh no. Do people really think that switching discs hurt the experience of Final Fantasy VII or Shadow Hearts Covenant? Why are we even talking about this?[/QUOTE]

The issue with multiple discs is that it gives you that much better of a chance to lose/scratch it. It requires a larger case which is cumbersome to anyone who has a concern for specific aesthetics (I could care less, just I know some people are anal about it). The largest problem though, I believe, is simply that it hugely detracts from the moment. Take FFVII for example, since it is the most likely for many to have played.... Did you not get a sad feeling when you saw the enter next disc screen? Here you are enjoying climactic story arcs, being dazzled by the intricacies and how much you love everything... then you get a screen popping up saying "Time to stop playing and go look for that disc your wife put away while she was cleaning yesterday!" Even if you know exactly where it is you are entirely pulled out of the ambiance of it. Finally... it is just embarrassing imo. I don't intend to put up a PS3 vs 360 argument or anything, but I would have never expected to be asked to switch discs with this generation of consoles. Sure it was common with PSX age, happened a bit but still pretty rarely for PS2/XBOX, and you would expect by now that you would never have to deal with this again. Here's to hoping Microsoft develops some sort of compression technology to cover up their mistakes -_-

Man, I'm glad that I'm not so goddamn fat and lazy that I can't get up and swap a disc occasionally. I mean, really, it's a dumb argument from both sides.

[quote name='Zen Rukasu']The real problem with multiple discs is that you're going to need all of them to enjoy the game. In other words, If you lend your games out, or are not careful with your games, you might want to get the PS3 version just to be safe.[/QUOTE]

Haha, by that argument, aren't you almost better off having the game span across more than one disc? Then if one disc is loaned out or damaged, you still have the other discs to play (assuming, of course, that you're not at a point in the game where you need the missing/damaged disc), whereas if it were all on one disc, you'd just be without the game entirely if something happened. of course, you could just try being careful with your games . . . :)

There are plenty of minor, yet actually somewhat meaningful things like controller preference or Achievements vs. Trophies to consider, without having to dredge up disc switching. You might as well have a big argument about whether a green-tinted DVD case is better or worse than a clear one.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']There are plenty of minor, yet actually somewhat meaningful things like controller preference or Achievements vs. Trophies to consider, without having to dredge up disc switching. You might as well have a big argument about whether a green-tinted DVD case is better or worse than a clear one.[/QUOTE]

While the green is a very distinguished color, standing out like an emerald in the very commonly bleek wood or black surrounding of most entertainment centers, I must say... that some people really would probably give a crap about this. lol

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Seriously, what is the big deal with multiple discs. A bunch of Xbox 360 games, not to mention scads of PSX and PS2 games, came on multiple discs. You have to switch out which disc is in your console every 15-20 hours of gameplay, oh no. Do people really think that switching discs hurt the experience of Final Fantasy VII or Shadow Hearts Covenant? Why are we even talking about this?[/QUOTE]

System warz. The existence of a 360 version of FFXIII has driven fanboys to heretofore unprecedented levels of neurosis. Just wait till March.

[quote name='snives']While the green is a very distinguished color, standing out like an emerald in the very commonly bleek wood or black surrounding of most entertainment centers, I must say... that some people really would probably give a crap about this. lol[/QUOTE]
:lol:

It's easy for me, I don't have a PS3, so distinguished emerald case it is... Though if I did, I might get it on PS3 just because Final Fantasy and the Dual Shock go together like peanut butter and chocolate.

All of this theoretical discussion is going to get interesting once we start finding out what the actual, concrete differences between the two builds are (if any). I'm really hoping we don't see a Bayonetta situation where one version clearly is the unloved bastard stepchild... because it would most likely be the Xbox build.

[quote name='Fire_Thief']With PS3's implentation of netflix, the disc swapping argument doesn't work anymore.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, except the disc-swap on PS3 is a temporary solution while the 360 you're stuck forever. . .

[quote name='gkrykewy']System warz. The existence of a 360 version of FFXIII has driven fanboys to heretofore unprecedented levels of neurosis. Just wait till March.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much. Honestly I don't know why anyone would care about multiple disks - this has been happening since the PSX era. Is one disk nice? Sure. But I don't see multiple disks as any kind of deal breaker. Especially given the huge lengths of time that often exist between disk swaps anyways.

All you people complaining about having to swap a disc every 20 hours should REALLY go back to a PS1 and find Fear Effect or Fear Effect: Retro Helix.

20 minutes
"Put in Disc 4"
20 minutes later
"Put in Disc 1"
20 minutes Later
"Put in Disc 5"

Now, a mandatory install on 360...that WILL suck. IF anything, go fanboy war about that.

[quote name='plutoknight']All you people complaining about having to swap a disc every 20 hours should REALLY go back to a PS1 and find Fear Effect or Fear Effect: Retro Helix.

20 minutes
"Put in Disc 4"
20 minutes later
"Put in Disc 1"
20 minutes Later
"Put in Disc 5"

Now, a mandatory install on 360...that WILL suck. IF anything, go fanboy war about that.[/QUOTE]

You're telling people who are complaining about something to play a game that will further justify their complaining? What's the point in that?

Disc-swapping like how FFVII handled is fine, however when we get to things like SO4 and other games which force you to put disc 1/2 in even when you're at a part in the story on disc 3... that's annoying as hell. Especially if that disc swap happens every few minutes.

The argument between 360 and PS3 Netflix is pretty stupid. PS3 owners should be thankful that we even have Netflix functionality right now, it'll get better, but this is definitely better than nothing. If you have both consoles, nothing's stopping you from using the 360 instead. But it's not like the 360 is the definitive version of Netflix or anything, I find it much easier to go straight through my HDTV to stream, but you know. You use the best that's available to you. No shit some platforms are gonna be better than others for certain things.

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']You're telling people who are complaining about something to play a game that will further justify their complaining? What's the point in that?

Disc-swapping like how FFVII handled is fine, however when we get to things like SO4 and other games which force you to put disc 1/2 in even when you're at a part in the story on disc 3... that's annoying as hell. Especially if that disc swap happens every few minutes.

[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I'm saying disc swapping could be a LOT worse than having to get up once every 15-20 hours. It's not a complaint worthy of mention unless you have to swap to disc 3 to summon Odin.

Then again, I was unaware that games today still did that kind of screwed-up disc swapping.

The big issue about multiple discs is not really the end-user. Its the developer that may have to go through some pain to "break" the game up.

Microsoft also charges an additional cost to publishers for multiple discs. Not to mention how much space is already reserved for the encrpypted 360 data for copy-protection. So its not like they have a full DVD to work from. MS probably will give Square-Enix some allowance on it considering the "relationship" and how the game was already in developement before it was announced for 360.

With Final Fantasy, it probably was not that difficult for them to split. But for upcoming games like RAGE. When you have the id CEO thinking the 360 Arcade was a mistake and how it led to where developers cannot force an install on the platform. Its a big deal to them.

[quote name='jubeininja69']its about preference. you like multiple discs then that's fine. i prefer just having one disc for my games.[/QUOTE]

I don't think anyone would prefer to have their games on multiple discs. It's just not nearly as big a deal as some people are making it out to be.

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']Disc-swapping like how FFVII handled is fine, however when we get to things like SO4 and other games which force you to put disc 1/2 in even when you're at a part in the story on disc 3... that's annoying as hell. Especially if that disc swap happens every few minutes.[/QUOTE]

Erm . . . I played SO4 through in its entirety, and I don't remember ever having to do that . . . certainly not every few minutes . . .

[quote name='technole']The big issue about multiple discs is not really the end-user. Its the developer that may have to go through some pain to "break" the game up.

Microsoft also charges an additional cost to publishers for multiple discs. Not to mention how much space is already reserved for the encrpypted 360 data for copy-protection. So its not like they have a full DVD to work from. MS probably will give Square-Enix some allowance on it considering the "relationship" and how the game was already in developement before it was announced for 360.

With Final Fantasy, it probably was not that difficult for them to split. But for upcoming games like RAGE. When you have the id CEO thinking the 360 Arcade was a mistake and how it led to where developers cannot force an install on the platform. Its a big deal to them.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure Microsoft is paying THEM to get the game on 360. I wouldn't really worry about things like that.

Also, it can't really be that hard to break the game up. They didn't seem to have any trouble with this in the PSX era. Just about every Final Fantasy game has had breaks between story arcs where a disk swap would work fine.

I just don't see the point in arguing based on hypothetical situations.

In any case, this sums it up perfectly:
[quote name='arcane93']I don't think anyone would prefer to have their games on multiple discs. It's just not nearly as big a deal as some people are making it out to be.[/QUOTE]

i just want the game to be bug free and to not have to drool over post-release content that Square is bound to release in japan...

[quote name='arcane93']
Haha, by that argument, aren't you almost better off having the game span across more than one disc? Then if one disc is loaned out or damaged, you still have the other discs to play (assuming, of course, that you're not at a point in the game where you need the missing/damaged disc), whereas if it were all on one disc, you'd just be without the game entirely if something happened. of course, you could just try being careful with your games . . . :)[/QUOTE]

Let me put that argument into a Rakatan perspective...

You have a choice.

You will trade 1/10 for no game.

or

4/10 chance for an incomplete game.

You can factor in the Blu-ray disc coating if you want.

[quote name='Warlock82']I'm pretty sure Microsoft is paying THEM to get the game on 360. I wouldn't really worry about things like that.

Also, it can't really be that hard to break the game up. They didn't seem to have any trouble with this in the PSX era. Just about every Final Fantasy game has had breaks between story archs where a disk swap would work fine.

I just don't see the point in arguing based on hypothetical situations.

In any case, this sums it up perfectly:[/QUOTE]

Oh I don't doubt it, hence the "relationship". I'm sure how it all began was MS talking to Square-Enix asking how would they feel if they port it to 360 if they picked up the tab on additional distribution costs. Not to mention the 360 version is a US/EU release only. They have to be insane to release a 360 Japanese version.

Its all about $$$ and their shareholders in the end, and Square-Enix lost much of it on previous RPGs like Last Reminent.

[quote name='technole']Oh I don't doubt it, hence the "relationship". I'm sure how it all began was MS talking to Square-Enix asking how would they feel if they port it to 360 if they picked up the tab on additional distribution costs. Not to mention the 360 version is a US/EU release only. They have to be insane to release a 360 Japanese version.

Its all about $$$ and their shareholders in the end, and Square-Enix lost much of it on previous RPGs like Last Reminent.[/QUOTE]

I'm actually somewhat surprised they didn't release it in Japan, considering even with a low 360 attach rate there, it probably doesn't cost much to port it over (they already have the PS3 Japanese language version, so translation is covered - what other costs are there other than a small packaging cost?). My guess is they signed some kind of exclusive agreement with Sony, but it only covered Japan specifically.

[quote name='Warlock82']I'm actually somewhat surprised they didn't release it in Japan, considering even with a low 360 attach rate there, it probably doesn't cost much to port it over (they already have the PS3 Japan-language version, so translation is covered - what other costs are there other than a small packaging cost?). My guess is they signed some kind of exclusive agreement with Sony, but it only covered Japan specifically.[/QUOTE]

Well there is the White FFXII Lightining PS3 bundle that is exclusive to Japan. But that was announced not too long back at TGS. I'm guessing they don't want to ante up the Japan distribution costs when they know it will probably be a loss.

[quote name='snives']Here's to hoping Microsoft develops some sort of compression technology to cover up their mistakes -_-[/QUOTE]

Yes, if only Microsoft had shoehorned an HD-DVD drive into the 360 and made the launch price $600...

The sarcasm is strong in this thread. How many people are going to be getting this at the opening price, how many plan on waiting?

[quote name='jubeininja69']its about preference. you like multiple discs then that's fine. i prefer just having one disc for my games.[/QUOTE]

so do i. i lose things very easily and having multiple discs will just make my life miserable.

[quote name='Mikkey']March 9th, 2010[/QUOTE]

[quote name='bigl523']March 9, 2010[/QUOTE]

[quote name='klashton84']3/9/10[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Siice']March 9[/QUOTE]

March 9th 2010... you know... just in case anyone was wondering :whee:

Anybody know what the main differences are from FFXIII & FXIII Versus?

Either way, hurry up and bring that damn FFXIV!

bread's done
Back