Final Fantasy XIII Date announced, $56.99 at Amazon.

[quote name='LordKefka06']Anybody know what the main differences are from FFXIII & FXIII Versus?

Either way, hurry up and bring that damn FFXIV![/QUOTE]

From what I have read, they are supposed to be two entirely different games, completely unrelated. The only thing they have in common is the engine used to run it. Squ-Enix simply seems to be trying to get titles out faster by running teams in parallel, and then releasing all of the one worked on at the same time under variations of the same name.

This could of course be way off basis. I haven't read up in a good while, and last I did there was not much but speculation based off very few actual quotes. There are also other versions besides Versus btw, Agito for example (hasn't been announced for the US, only Japan so far).

I won't pre order the game yet. Final Fantasy XIII is going to be a huge game so I know that a good amount of retailers will be offering some kind of exclusive content/swag with the purchase of the game. Since I'm a sucker for extra stuff, I will wait this one out until the promotions start to appear. The whole multiple disc argument is getting a little old though. I can break out my Playstation collection & will be sure to count at least 30 games that I still own that are 2 disc or better. Most of which are RPG's of course =). So having multiple disc games on the Xbox 360 doesn't bother me one bit. I already have plenty of them.

-DarkLegacy

Might have to break my "no multiplatform games on the PS3" rule for this game, one bluray disc just sounds so much easier than multiple ones and swapping them out mid game.

As much as I hate spending the extra $$, I decided to pre-order the JPN version from Play-Asia, mostly because I love Ono Daisuke and I'd love to play during winter break

I haven't purchased a PS3 game in a while (nor do I plan to except for FFXIII), so eh...

But I'm curious why the JPN version (which is going to be released 3 months earlier than the NA version) does not have a 360 port, while the NA version does.

I really wouldn't worry about FFXIII on the Xbox 360. I'm guessing it'll be 2-3 discs and my guess is they might offer an option to install them all on the HDD and not having to switch discs; just guessing. It's not that big of a deal to me either way.

[quote name='Bulbachar']I really wouldn't worry about FFXIII on the Xbox 360. I'm guessing it'll be 2-3 discs and my guess is they might offer an option to install them all on the HDD and not having to switch discs; just guessing. It's not that big of a deal to me either way.[/QUOTE]

They will NEVER allow installing and no disc swapping. So much piracy, the consequences of not checking if the right disc is in is insane.

At the moment, no. I think we'll have to wait until we're closer to the release date for them to announce anything about a Collector's Edition. Still personally hoping for a limited edition PS3 to go with FFXIII like Japan's, since they get all the cool stuff.

I don't understand the uproar with disc swapping. Didn't anyone play Final Fantasy VII-IX? It was never an issue then, why is it an issue now?

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']They will NEVER allow installing and no disc swapping. So much piracy, the consequences of not checking if the right disc is in is insane.[/QUOTE]

I'd say if they went into making the game for the 360 knowing that there was no way for it to fit on one disc that they could make it so you can install an additional disc or two and run it off the first disc. Similar to what Forza 3 does.

[quote name='spoo']I don't understand the uproar with disc swapping. Didn't anyone play Final Fantasy VII-IX? It was never an issue then, why is it an issue now?[/QUOTE]

I guess because that was 10+ years ago? People want convenience, the customer is always right and the game industry is learning that the hard way.

[quote name='Treythalomew']I'd say if they went into making the game for the 360 knowing that there was no way for it to fit on one disc that they could make it so you can install an additional disc or two and run it off the first disc. Similar to what Forza 3 does.[/QUOTE]

This is what I'm talking about. Also, Fallout 3: Game of the Year Edition did the same thing; with all the DLC being loaded onto the HDD from a second disc and after that you just use the first disc. I mean people could sell the other discs off after they install them, but the first disc would also be needed to play the game.

[quote name='ithebigc']At the moment, no. I think we'll have to wait until we're closer to the release date for them to announce anything about a Collector's Edition. Still personally hoping for a limited edition PS3 to go with FFXIII like Japan's, since they get all the cool stuff.[/QUOTE]

I wish they'd hurry it up and announce something if they're going to. I want to use my Amazon game credits from NSMB and AC2 on my pre-order for it, and if I pre-order now and they then announce something after those expire and I can't cancel it, I'm going to be pretty annoyed (I'll pass on the limited edition PS3, though -- I don't have that kind of money to put into it!).

[quote name='spoo']I don't understand the uproar with disc swapping. Didn't anyone play Final Fantasy VII-IX? It was never an issue then, why is it an issue now?[/QUOTE]
Disc swapping to continue the game is one thing disc swapping to return to old planets a la Star Ocean absolute poo.

This game is gonna be amazing. If they make a PS3 bundle, I'm sold. Otherwise, I'm not sure which version to get. I still don't have a PS3.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']The cover art for the UK editions has been released.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/12/01/lightning-strikes-the-uk-cover-art-of-final-fantasy-xiii/
[/QUOTE]

Not bad, but that pic of Lightning wouldn't have been my first choice for a cover. I personally like the picture where Lightning is actually holding her weapon up, or even the one where she's sitting down with the blade in her lap. In this cover, she looks kind of...off. Still better than that horrible Dirge of Cerberus cover.

Hell much better than Cerebrus or even XII. Why can't they go back to like VII VIII where the covers where just plain white with the artsy paint-like image on the middle?

I thought those were the best and classiest, even up to now. Also great for continuity and collecting.

[quote name='heathdud']I don't trust them enough to preorder. The FF series is notorious for 1 year plus delays[/QUOTE]

If they manage to make the scheduled Japan release date on December 17th or even close to it, I'll consider that to be a good enough sign that they're more or less on schedule for the release here, since presumably all that will be left to do will be whatever localization they haven't already completed. If the Japan date gets pushed, then yeah, I'll be more concerned.

They've been heavily advertising it over there, with CM's all over the so... a delay is really unlikely unless they like to screw with people. That being said, can't complain about the cover.

I

[quote name='heathdud']I don't trust them enough to preorder. The FF series is notorious for 1 year plus delays[/QUOTE]
"Delays" only in the sense that the game is vaguely slated for three years from now, but ends up coming out four years from now instead. I don't think there has been an FF game that has advertised a specific release date and then just missed it, Alpha Protocol style.

Besides, Square has nothing to gain and everything to lose by announcing a date that they are not 1000% sure they can make. I think we're pretty safe.

[quote name='FiretrUCK']If it was still a PS-exclusive, then no one would have to worry about disc-swapping...[/QUOTE]
You're right, I'd much rather have to worry about not being able to play it at all. ;)

[quote name='FiretrUCK']If it was still a PS-exclusive, then no one would have to worry about disc-swapping...[/QUOTE]

Sorry, new guy. You have to go to the back of the line.

idiot

On another note... if anyone if you have been living in a hole or don't have access to the Japanese store, I uploaded the final trailer in all it's 1080p glory.

Watch on YouTube or download through MegaUpload.

This thing is AMAZING. It does have ~some~ spoilers, but it's not like you can understand Japanese right? :p

Do yourself a favor and watch in HD, fullscreen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNR6HP-n8js

Download link: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=OYDJV7ZP

[quote name='abhinav']Might have to break my "no multiplatform games on the PS3" rule for this game, one bluray disc just sounds so much easier than multiple ones and swapping them out mid game.[/QUOTE]
Ditto :)

Disc swapping doesn't bother me either way, but like most people who have posted, in this day and age (with the technology we have), this shouldn't occur. It makes developers look lazy by not finding compression alternatives or at least an install like Forza 3. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

[quote name='eastx']Sorry, new guy. You have to go to the back of the line.[/QUOTE]

What he meant was, exclusive to PS3.. Since it would be on Blu Ray no one would have to swap discs.

He wasn't talking about the PS1 games.

THINK!

Apparently the EU box art will be the same for us across the pond.

FFXIII%20Box%20Art_%28XBOX360%29.jpg

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']On another note... if anyone if you have been living in a hole or don't have access to the Japanese store, I uploaded the final trailer in all it's 1080p glory.
Do yourself a favor and watch in HD, fullscreen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNR6HP-n8js
[/QUOTE]
That is pure awesomeness starting at 3:45. The song that was playing made me hit the mute button after the 2nd minute.

[quote name='spoo']That is pure awesomeness starting at 3:45. The song that was playing made me hit the mute button after the 2nd minute.[/QUOTE]Hm... I like that song... I at least prefer it over "My Hands"

Lol wow, FU! I love J-pop to to end, the theme song is so damn gooooood! I listened to My Hands by Leona Lewis and... I'm not exactly sure how the hell it'll fit into the game, the vibe it gives off is completely different.

Question is... to watch the gameplay vids and what not that are sure gonna come out after the Japanese release, or start blocking all "spoiler" content until it comes out state-side. Hmmm...
--
Btw, a MU link is included in the vid. description for the MP3 of the theme song, Kimi ga Iru Kara by Sugawara Sayuri.
For people who have good taste in music :p

[quote name='angelfly']I've already spent about $100 including shipping to preorder the import.[/QUOTE]

I comprehension of Japanese is almost good enough to watch some anime without aid if I pause and replay parts lol.

There's no way I could get through the think kanji in the Japanese version, or I'd definitely pay $100 for it early. Probably $150-$200 would be the limit though >.

O man. So thinking of importing this since I heard it has english subtitles ( feel free to correct me )
I just need to know if there any special console bundles. If so then I'll have a new 360 and/or PS3. I'm already in for any collectors edition stuff they do.

FFXIII/V verse Uncharted 2? Who do you think will win in graphics?

Holy shit, come on and tease me with some FFXIV stuff already, or atleast FFXIII V.

Also, those aeon summons in that trailer look badass.

[quote name='sneakysnake128']Not holding my hopes up high at all. Last good FF was #10 back in '01.[/QUOTE]

Square Enix has a couple of different production teams working on their FF series. FF10, FF11 and FF12 are all made by different production teams. FF13 is made by the same team that made FF10.

Did that help getting your hopes up?

[quote name='Mako1215']O man. So thinking of importing this since I heard it has english subtitles ( feel free to correct me )
I just need to know if there any special console bundles. If so then I'll have a new 360 and/or PS3. I'm already in for any collectors edition stuff they do.[/QUOTE]

I've heard nothing about confirmed subtitles in the Japanese version... Just rumors and nonsense. We really won't know until the game is out.

I've played every FF, beaten them, rinse and repeat. And... yeah, FFXII was pretty much the biggest disappointment I've ever faced as a gamer.

Honestly though, FFXIII is really a return to form. So many goddamn parallels can be drawn to Midgard, AVALANCHE, Shin-Ra from FFVII. The ATB system is back with a little from WKC, summons in true form (Aeon/GF). The most beautiful graphics in any RPG, stunning CG... what more can you ask for?

You can't really compare Uncharted 2 with FFXIII in terms of graphics, UC2 is going for a comic, highly stylized realistic art style while FFXIII is just... pure JRPG through and through.

I myself prefer fantasy settings as opposed to ones modelled after real life. Some of the backdrops in FFXIII are jaw-dropping and although you probably won't be able to "explore" them fully, it's still a sight to see.

FFXIV is an MMO, why would you want more info. on it?

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']I've heard nothing about confirmed subtitles in the Japanese version... Just rumors and nonsense. We really won't know until the game is out.

I've played every FF, beaten them, rinse and repeat. And... yeah, FFXII was pretty much the biggest disappointment I've ever faced as a gamer.

Honestly though, FFXIII is really a return to form. So many goddamn parallels can be drawn to Midgard, AVALANCHE, Shin-Ra from FFVII. The ATB system is back with a little from WKC, summons in true form (Aeon/GF). The most beautiful graphics in any RPG, stunning CG... what more can you ask for?

You can't really compare Uncharted 2 with FFXIII in terms of graphics, UC2 is going for a comic, highly stylized realistic art style while FFXIII is just... pure JRPG through and through.

I myself prefer fantasy settings as opposed to ones modelled after real life. Some of the backdrops in FFXIII are jaw-dropping and although you probably won't be able to "explore" them fully, it's still a sight to see.

FFXIV is an MMO, why would you want more info. on it?[/QUOTE]

Same here. I hated FFXII. I never finished it :whistle2:\"
I'm hoping this a return to what the series used to be.
After FF9 every game became too easy for me. It was like childs play. I was doing secret quests and beating the game in around 40-50hrs. While in FF7/FF8 and a couple others I was around 70-80 hrs. I need the good ol' play the whole day away and not realize it/ can't put the controller down RPGS.

[quote name='wampa8jedi']I'm wondering the same thing... I really liked the collector's case for FFXII.[/QUOTE]
me too. probably one of the nicest looking CE's I own. or seen, for that matter.

[quote name='sneakysnake128']Not holding my hopes up high at all. Last good FF was #10 back in '01.[/QUOTE]

I concur. I have higher hopes for FFXIII Versus. The trailer for that game is just unbelievably awesome.

I must be one of the few that liked 12. Mostly because I ran around owning shit with the Zodiac Spear, but it was still decent.

[quote name='Jodou']I must be one of the few that liked 12. Mostly because I ran around owning shit with the Zodiac Spear, but it was still decent.[/QUOTE]

You aren't. People got their panties in a bunch because they thought the gambit system "played the game for them", which is a stretch at best. I understand why it wasn't popular, but it worked very well. Other than that, the game was fantastic in pretty much every respect.

bread's done
Back