Format War - HD DVD vs. Blu-Ray - *Its Over...Toshiba Swings White Flag*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wont take credit for this but those 360 HD players could actually hold some value!
If you're good around PCs, and have a lot of HD DVD disks, the best thing is to buy a large HDD and an x360 addon, that's the best way to keep the content even if the players stop working. And, in an emergency, you could play the movies on a PC.

Down the road, as long as you own the original HD DVD disks, a case could be made that transferring them over to BD-RE is a fair use issue as you do legally own the disks.

[quote name='rodeojones903']Prove it wrong.[/QUOTE]

i have an anonymous source from two of the top guys at time warner :roll:

How about you just use your brain? Do you really think Warner didn't get anything in return for going exclusive? No cash when a "lower" studio made out with $150 million.

Not even Warner is that stupid. They didn't go Blu to brighten your day sunshine, they got a massive payoff which I'm willing to bet was at least double what Paramount got.

[quote name='Snake2715']I wont take credit for this but those 360 HD players could actually hold some value![/quote]

Why would the movies stop working? lol

[quote name='RedvsBlue']If you buy video games, movies, or basically any technology/electronics products you've already wasted your money. Plain and simple. Electronics are just one of those things that you have to go into knowing that you're gonna lose money. All they ever do is depreciate in value, there's very, very few examples of electronics related items that actually increase in value.[/quote]
I'm simply saying I'll be happy if I don't end up wasting money on a dying format.

If you wanna put it that way, then we can say the same thing about furniture, automobiles, etc...

[quote name='MrDubbs']Why would the movies stop working? lol[/QUOTE]

Um you obviously are overlooking the fact that people will want the HD media in the dominant and only surviving format Blu... so instead of running two types of players they can convert the HD to BLU and use their current blu drive to play it without rebuying.

Does anyone know if any current BD movies support the "portable" video that was mentioned many months back? Where you would apparently be able to copy the file to a device (laptop, PSP, iPod) and watch the film in SD on the go?

This seems intriguing to me, and I'd like to know if it's really going to happen or not.

[quote name='Snake2715']Um you obviously are overlooking the fact that people will want the HD media in the dominant and only surviving format Blu... so instead of running two types of players they can convert the HD to BLU and use their current blu drive to play it without rebuying.[/quote]

I guess, as for me I'll just continue to use my add on and play my HD movies on the TV. If it stops working, maybe MS will still fix it.. lol

[quote name='mykevermin']Does anyone know if any current BD movies support the "portable" video that was mentioned many months back? Where you would apparently be able to copy the file to a device (laptop, PSP, iPod) and watch the film in SD on the go?

This seems intriguing to me, and I'd like to know if it's really going to happen or not.[/quote]

This is the first time I've heard about it :whistle2:s

[quote name='MrDubbs']I guess, as for me I'll just continue to use my add on and play my HD movies on the TV. If it stops working, maybe MS will still fix it.. lol[/QUOTE]

I am talking a few years in, obviously there are no blu burners right now... but eventually there will be.

[quote name='Snake2715']I am talking a few years in, obviously there are no blu burners right now... but eventually there will be.[/QUOTE]

There are Blu-ray burners out right now for the PC. Best Buy over here carried them the last time I looked (but they were very expensive).

I was actually looking forward to experimenting in HD-DVD authoring this year. I was waiting til I got an extremely fast system that can handle the requirements for HD (my current system barely meets it)... Guess I am buying a BR-Burner this year instead. I do believe that Adobe Encore does support BR authoring.

sorry guys i didnt think the burners or the media was available. maybe I should have worded it to mention that the formats cant be cross written at this point?

[quote name='mykevermin']Does anyone know if any current BD movies support the "portable" video that was mentioned many months back? Where you would apparently be able to copy the file to a device (laptop, PSP, iPod) and watch the film in SD on the go?

This seems intriguing to me, and I'd like to know if it's really going to happen or not.[/QUOTE]

They were probably just flaunting a use for the extra space .

You know the old Sony carrot on a stick routine .

I should buy a HD player for cheap to have as a backup for my add on, since I know I won't get enough out of the movies if I sell what I have

then again, so many people will want to sell, it'll over saturate the market on Ebay, and I can prob pick up dirt cheap later on

Good news for Sony im glad for them after all the media bashing they will win the format war and make billions of it. although most people around here wont be happy we know that about 99% of the people who go to cheapgamer forums hate Sony.

Even if Universal doesn't go neutral/BR exclusive shortly after, the final death blow (if Lucas/Lucasfilm budge, along with Peter Jackson) would easily be an announcement and subsequent HD releases of Star Wars and Lord of the Rings.

Those will never see the light of day on HD-DVD, so obviously BR is the only option. If it happens within the next year or so is up in the air. My point just being between Warner/New Line, Fox, Sony/Columbia/MGM, and Disney, well it's pretty tough (considering their's way more corporate backers to BR than HD-DVD by far, and all BR backers are major players (HD-DVD's biggest are Toshiba and MS that's really it).

HD-DVD will die if somehow LOTR and Star Wars hit BR in the next holiday season, along at the same time Paramount's contract will be up, to which they would at least announce BR support again. That's if the plug isn't pulled sooner (it may not because MS could pump money into it for awhile if they cared to).

[quote name='mykevermin']Not particularly. Do feel free to enlighten me, though.[/QUOTE]

Don't be so naive , you know how they always talk about what they could do .

[quote name='mykevermin']No, seriously. Enlighten me. I'm going to sleep, so you have plenty of time to prepare something. ;)[/QUOTE]

One of my favorites ...

http://www.timewarner.com/corp/newsroom/pr/0,20812,668732,00.html

FOSTER CITY, Calif., and DULLES, Va., May 15, 2001 -- Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCEI) and America Online, Inc. today announced a strategic alliance that will enable the companies to accelerate the development of next-generation entertainment through PlayStation(r)2, the world's favorite computer entertainment platform, and America Online (AOL), the world's leading interactive service. Under the agreement, SCEI and America Online will work together to deliver the AOL experience to consumers on the PlayStation 2 platform and fuel the development of a new class of Internet-enabled entertainment by incorporating popular AOL features, enabling consumers to use instant messaging, chat and e-mail while enjoying some of their favorite content on the PlayStation 2 computer entertainment system. SCEI will offer consumers a network adapter for PlayStation 2, allowing them to enjoy an AOL experience and play Internet-enabled games and entertainment. -more- SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT AND AOL ANNOUNCE STRATEGIC ALLIANCE 2-2-2-2 Also under the new agreement, SCEI and AOL will explore other interactive entertainment opportunities, including broadband technologies and the development of a Netscape browser to optimize the Internet experience on PlayStation 2. Additional hardware including a hard disk drive, LCD display (NTSC/PAL and XGA compatible), keyboard and mouse will be available to allow consumers to enjoy these more advanced interactive features. These new products are expected to be available by the end of the year. In addition, the AOL features will be incorporated into the PlayStation 2 Software Development Kits (SDKs) available to content developers. "Given our shared corporate vision and power for the evolution of online computer entertainment, AOL and SCEI make ideal partners," said Ken Kutaragi, president and CEO, Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. "With AOL by our side, Sony Computer Entertainment will begin to provide the world's content creators access to a new community for digital entertainment and distribution. Just as PlayStation 2 ushered in a new era of computer entertainment, we are now escalating the evolution of great gaming experiences into what will become a highly interactive, real-time broadband network environment." "Sony Computer Entertainment and AOL are both committed to delivering the most compelling interactive content and applications possible for consumers," said Barry Schuler, Chairman and CEO of America Online, Inc. "By combining AOL's industry-leading infrastructure and trademark convenience with the media-rich power of PlayStation 2 to turbo-charge the gaming experience, we'll be able to provide our members with another exciting way to connect by extending our AOL Anywhere strategy to a powerful new interactive platform." Schuler also noted that AOL members have long enjoyed online gaming through the AOL games channel, which is done in partnership with Electronic Arts. Electronic Arts will continue to be the games channel partner across AOL brands. -more- SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT AND AOL ANNOUNCE STRATEGIC ALLIANCE 3-3-3-3 The agreement represents an important first step in offering AOL's more than 29 million members worldwide and the more than 30 million PlayStation loyalists in North America a new way to experience connected entertainment like gaming. Sony Computer Entertainment and AOL will host joint technology concept demonstrations relating to this new alliance at the Electronic Entertainment Expo (May 17-19) at the Los Angeles Convention Center in SCEA's booth #2416. These demonstrations include a version of the AOL experience on PlayStation 2 and a Netscape browser for the platform. PlayStation and the PlayStation logo, PS one and PS2 are registered trademarks of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

I'm going to bed too .

[quote name='SuppaMan']Even if Universal doesn't go neutral/BR exclusive shortly after, the final death blow (if Lucas/Lucasfilm budge, along with Peter Jackson) would easily be an announcement and subsequent HD releases of Star Wars and Lord of the Rings.

Those will never see the light of day on HD-DVD, so obviously BR is the only option. If it happens within the next year or so is up in the air. My point just being between Warner/New Line, Fox, Sony/Columbia/MGM, and Disney, well it's pretty tough (considering their's way more corporate backers to BR than HD-DVD by far, and all BR backers are major players (HD-DVD's biggest are Toshiba and MS that's really it).

HD-DVD will die if somehow LOTR and Star Wars hit BR in the next holiday season, along at the same time Paramount's contract will be up, to which they would at least announce BR support again. That's if the plug isn't pulled sooner (it may not because MS could pump money into it for awhile if they cared to).[/QUOTE]

If you think Star Wars will be released anytime within the next 3 years, I have a bridge I'd like to sell you.

Remember the original three didn't come out on DVD until late 2004.

[quote name='Richlough']Don't be so naive , you know how they always talk about what they could do .[/QUOTE]

Isn't that true for almost all PR for any company?

Everyone here and every where else on the net is claiming this is the death of HD-DVD. Doesn't any one out there thank they could come up with something to make a comeback? With all the buzz around this, how long before retail stores like BB start canceling orders? Could just the buzz around WB going exclusive be more destructive than them actually going BR exclusive? Just a few questions I've been asking.

This seems intriguing to me, and I'd like to know if it's really going to happen or not.[/QUOTE]

I believe the only thing I've heard so far is WM including an extra disc with RE: Extinction allowing you to download a digital copy of the film onto your computer.

[quote name='Richlough']One of my favorites ...

http://www.timewarner.com/corp/newsroom/pr/0,20812,668732,00.html

I'm going to bed too .[/QUOTE]For all you know, AOL could have blown that one. Do you want me to pull out the story where Nintendo fucked over Sony with the Play Station? Or how about the Microsoft exec toting Toy Story graphics? (It was MS for the record) And the whole Matrix online thing? We can all be thankful they waited to attempt Home on the PS3.

Or, here's a winner. HD-DVD would pull through in 2007 as the prevailing format.

[quote name='MrDubbs']I should buy a HD player for cheap to have as a backup for my add on, since I know I won't get enough out of the movies if I sell what I have

then again, so many people will want to sell, it'll over saturate the market on Ebay, and I can prob pick up dirt cheap later on[/QUOTE]

Well if you're really concerned about HD DVD and playing it I'd suggest having a PC HD DVD/BR reader, rip it to the HDD and then burn it to a BD-R and walla, you're safe even when HD DVD goes.

[quote name='millrat1030']Everyone here and every where else on the net is claiming this is the death of HD-DVD. Doesn't any one out there thank they could come up with something to make a comeback? With all the buzz around this, how long before retail stores like BB start canceling orders? Could just the buzz around WB going exclusive be more destructive than them actually going BR exclusive? Just a few questions I've been asking.[/quote]
As a long time HD DVD supporter--since October 2006--and owner of nearly 100 discs, I'll say that the adage is not true. The rumors of HD DVD's demise are NOT exaggerated. They may be premature, but that doesn't mean they aren't absolutely accurate.

There's nothing HD DVD PRG can do to counter this sort of swinging Fox, Disney, and SONY to neutrality and announcing $50 players. In other words, un-possible.

Good old Michael Bay:

http://www.shootfortheedit.com/forum/showthread.php?p=9716#post9716
Well another studio down. Maybe I was right? Blu ray is just better. HD DVD will die a slow death. It's what I predicted a year ago. Now with Warner's down for the count with Blu Ray. That makes it easier for Wal-Mart to push Blu Ray. And whatever Wal-Mart pushes - wins. Hd better start giving out those $120 million dollars checks to stay alive. Maybe they can give me some so I can give it to my Make-A-Wish charity, just to shut me up. Have faith people Transformers will come out in Blu-ray one day!

[quote name='TimPV3']For all you know, AOL could have blown that one. Do you want me to pull out the story where Nintendo fucked over Sony with the Play Station? Or how about the Microsoft exec toting Toy Story graphics? (It was MS for the record) And the whole Matrix online thing? We can all be thankful they waited to attempt Home on the PS3.

Or, here's a winner. HD-DVD would pull through in 2007 as the prevailing format.[/QUOTE]

Myke wanted an example , if I would known I was going to set off the SDF I would 've PM'ed him .
Your blind devotion will bite you in the ass someday .

...And read the sig . \/\/

I own about equal amounts HDDVDs and BRDs (~30 of each) and really have no loyalty either way -- I just hope this announcement doesn't negatively affect the production of combo HD/BR standalone players.

If I were a video player manufacturer, this news may cause me to reconsider the viability of dual-format players. I hope it doesn't have that affect.

[quote name='Snake2715']I found it interesting There was a spike in HD after that $99 sale:
index.cfm

Or go here:
http://www.eproductwars.com/dvd/index.cfm

Top 100 products

click last 30 days...[/QUOTE]

That spike was due to Amazon's B1G1 sale.

That site is an awful source since all it really tracks is what Amazon has a better deal on.

[quote name='Koggit']I own about equal amounts HDDVDs and BRDs (~30 of each) and really have no loyalty either way -- I just hope this announcement doesn't negatively affect the production of combo HD/BR standalone players.

If I were a video player manufacturer, this news may cause me to reconsider the viability of dual-format players. I hope it doesn't have that affect.

[/QUOTE]

Warner didn't give a shit about , you what makes you think LG will ?

They're businessmen , they have no concience , they're all about the Benjamins .

[quote name='dallow']Good old Michael Bay:

http://www.shootfortheedit.com/forum/showthread.php?p=9716#post9716[/QUOTE]
I'm convinced that Michael Bay is a fictional person, designed to simultaneously destroy our youth and raise my blood pressure. That's the only explanation as to why he hasn't been murdered yet--if I had an open shot, I'd take it, and I can't believe I'm alone.
The Warner Bros. announcement really sucks. I have no desire to own a PS3 anytime soon, and I'm certainly not buying a stand-alone BD player. Hopefully the Toshiba camp can pull something major out of its ass, at least enough to keep the format hanging on until the combo players appear.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']If you buy video games, movies, or basically any technology/electronics products you've already wasted your money. Plain and simple. Electronics are just one of those things that you have to go into knowing that you're gonna lose money. All they ever do is depreciate in value, there's very, very few examples of electronics related items that actually increase in value.[/QUOTE]
Games on Ebay.

[quote name='MrDubbs']I think they only canceled because Warner was to be a huge part of it.[/quote]
Which I would assume to be a big ouchie for them

lol, funny thing is I was thinking of buying a HD Player just before all this happened, and selling my add on. So I didn't have to be without them when the 360 went down

[quote name='Chris in Cali']I don't see how at this point anyone can say the PS3 doesn't have a good games. Uncharted alone is a 100% must own, Ratchet and Clank is good, Motorstorm is good, not to mention Oblivion which is one of my favorite games of all time and has quicker load times and less lag on the PS3.

Anyway, I've been enjoying the hell out of both my HD-A2, and PS3 for the past few weeks with all these software sales. I'm going to be broke with all these movies.

Speaking of which, HD DVD's releases for the remainder 2007, and Q1 2008 are looking embarrassingly thin. Speaking for myself I'll pick up Superbad, Lost Season 3, Pirates 3, The Simpson's Movie, Rush Hour 3, Shoot 'Em Up, War, Resident Evil Extinction, 3:10 to Yuma, Con Air, Mr. Woodcock, The Gameplan, and maybe Good Luck Chuck on Blu-ray. On HD DVD I'll get Old School, The Bourne Ultimatum, Stardust, The Heartbreak Kid, and maybe Anchorman. That's 13 Blu-ray, and 5 HD DVD.... not looking too good for HD DVD. I'm hoping at CES a more robust HD DVD line-up gets revealed including Weird Science which was announced, but than disappeard.[/QUOTE]
But HD DVD isnt having a CES is it!! They cancelled it beacuse of Warners desision to go blu!
LONG LIVE BLU!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back