GamersGate Summer Sale - Beat Hazard $4, World of Goo $6.79, Other Misc. Casual Stuff

DrowVampyre

CAGiversary!
Feedback
13 (100%)
GamersGate has a big sale going on this month apparently, with each week being devoted to a different genre. First up: RPGs. For those of you that missed the original price during the Steam sale, they have The Witcher for $6.78, among others.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='RColaUAB']I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but I can't get my UTIII code to register with Steam. The product code seems to be in the same format as Steam wants but it keeps saying its invalid. Let me know if you've been able to register your GamersGate copy of UTIII with Steam.[/QUOTE]

I said earlier in the thread that I tried using the GamersGate CDkey on steam for torchlight (also on the approved list) and it doesn't work. You need a boxed copy for the keys to work I'm guessing.

[quote name='carthum']I said earlier in the thread that I tried using the GamersGate CDkey on steam for torchlight (also on the approved list) and it doesn't work. You need a boxed copy for the keys to work I'm guessing.[/QUOTE]

Damn. Thanks for the reply. I'll contact Steam support and post back what I find out.

That's not true for needing a boxed copy as many had bought Metro 2033 when it was really cheap online and put the cdkey in steam and it worked.

[quote name='RColaUAB']I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but I can't get my UTIII code to register with Steam. The product code seems to be in the same format as Steam wants but it keeps saying its invalid. Let me know if you've been able to register your GamersGate copy of UTIII with Steam.[/QUOTE]

I had the same problem:bomb:, I emailed gamersgate and they said the key doesn'y work with steam. I contacted steam's customer support, which is really good and asked them if I could activate it. I will let you guys know what happens.

[quote name='henrylin22']I had the same problem:bomb:, I emailed gamersgate and they said the key doesn'y work with steam. I contacted steam's customer support, which is really good and asked them if I could activate it. I will let you guys know what happens.[/QUOTE]

I contacted them Friday about torchlight and am still waiting to hear back. The first reply I got said Torchlight isn't supported for steam activation and gave me a link to a list of games https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7480-WUSF-3601

The list they linked me to of course had Torchlight on it.

[quote name='Trelow']Heads up to anyone looking at Borderlands, the DLC won't work with this copy. Still though, $10.[/QUOTE]Wow, really..? I was maybe thinking about getting this also. Forget that now.

[quote name='Trelow']Heads up to anyone looking at Borderlands, the DLC won't work with this copy. Still though, $10.[/QUOTE]

Huh...that's really surprising. It installs to the same path as a boxed version as far as I know (all their other games do anyway), so while I wouldn't expect Steam's DLC to work, any other should...

[quote name='DrowVampyre']Huh...that's really surprising. It installs to the same path as a boxed version as far as I know (all their other games do anyway), so while I wouldn't expect Steam's DLC to work, any other should...[/QUOTE]

It says in the description on Gamersgate: "Won't work with any Borderlands DLC!!!"

My guess is because they add SecuROM to their downloads of games that don't otherwise have it.

[quote name='EliotAndrews']This may be a silly question, but how do you accidentally buy a game?[/QUOTE]

I forgot i had put it in my cart by mistake

[quote name='TheBomb69']Anyone play Necrovision: Lost Company. Interested but can't find any reviews.[/QUOTE]

I really really disliked it. Didn't get past the first level, maybe it gets better after that, I didn't stick with it to find out -- I got it really cheap.

And in many ways it's a game I should have liked -- I love old-school shooters like Painkiller and I don't require fancy graphics in my games. But the weapons were boring, there wasn't enough ammo, the enemies were stupid but not numerous enough to be good cannon fodder, and the game was surprisingly hard from the very start. Old-school design without the old-school fun and over-the-top-ness of Painkiller or Serious Sam.

On that note, if you or anyone else on this thread has not played Painkiller, get it! It's really cheap on this very sale! Also cheap everywhere else!

Don't worry about the million and one versions on GG, just get the plain original for $3.

It's a totally crazy, kill-hundreds-of-dudes-with-insane-weapons, old-school shooter. Great fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='carthum']It says in the description on Gamersgate: "Won't work with any Borderlands DLC!!!"

My guess is because they add SecuROM to their downloads of games that don't otherwise have it.[/QUOTE]

I doubt that, because the Borderlands DLC has SecuROM anyway. But Wikipedia suggests that the DLC for it was released through Steam - that's probably why. Steam's stuff never seems to mix well with anything non-Steam. -_-

This week is meh for me. Batman is slightly tempting since I passed on it for the PS3, but the demo didn't get me too excited. For $9.95 maybe, but not $16. ;)

If I buy anything this week it might be UT for $5. Haven't played a shooting-style game on the PC in about 13 years or so. This might be a cheap entry point.

[quote name='jezz.torrent']I really really disliked it. Didn't get past the first level, maybe it gets better after that, I didn't stick with it to find out -- I got it really cheap.

And in many ways it's a game I should have liked -- I love old-school shooters like Painkiller and I don't require fancy graphics in my games. But the weapons were boring, there wasn't enough ammo, the enemies were stupid but not numerous enough to be good cannon fodder, and the game was surprisingly hard from the very start. Old-school design without the old-school fun and over-the-top-ness of Painkiller or Serious Sam.

On that note, if you or anyone else on this thread has not played Painkiller, get it! It's really cheap on this very sale! Also cheap everywhere else!

Don't worry about the million and one versions on GG, just get the plain original for $3.

It's a totally crazy, kill-hundreds-of-dudes-with-insane-weapons, old-school shooter. Great fun.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. I already played some version of Painkiller and loved it. Will probably still get Pandemonium as it has enough going on to justify $7.48. Although I see the reviews for Resurrection are awful.

[quote name='RebelCapitalist']This week is meh for me. Batman is slightly tempting since I passed on it for the PS3, but the demo didn't get me too excited. For $9.95 maybe, but not $16. ;)

If I buy anything this week it might be UT for $5. Haven't played a shooting-style game on the PC in about 13 years or so. This might be a cheap entry point.[/QUOTE]

I felt the same way about Batman, but the demo is not representative of the pace of the game. you get the combat and stuff, but the demo jumps through a bunch of sections of that game, when you play through those parts they're more drawn out and cohesive.

I picked the game up for 25$, cos I'm a huge batman fan and it got great reviews and it was one of my favourite games of 2009.

Don't let the demo fool you, it's awesome.

[quote name='mrsamsa']I felt the same way about Batman, but the demo is not representative of the pace of the game. you get the combat and stuff, but the demo jumps through a bunch of sections of that game, when you play through those parts they're more drawn out and cohesive.

I picked the game up for 25$, cos I'm a huge batman fan and it got great reviews and it was one of my favourite games of 2009.

Don't let the demo fool you, it's awesome.[/QUOTE]

Have a couple friends who said it was pretty good. A bit on the fence. Might be better for me to just rent it on the console for a couple bucks unless there's a big PC difference.

If I can earn GFWL achievements and use a controller then I think I will get Batman.
Got Unreal Tournament 3, it wont let me activate it on Steam, but thats not a biggie IMO.

Got another hard drive today (Samsung F3 1tb) and it was lonely, so I just bought UT3 Black for $4.95. :)

It will be my first PC "shooting" experience in over a decade. Waiting for my gaming mouse to come in a couple days (Logitech G500).

So Batman works with a game pad? Can someone point me to some good game pad options and do I need special software? (sorry, been a Mac guy for ages and a console gamer--PS3/360). :D

[quote name='RebelCapitalist']Got another hard drive today (Samsung F3 1tb) and it was lonely, so I just bought UT3 Black for $4.95. :)

It will be my first PC "shooting" experience in over a decade. Waiting for my gaming mouse to come in a couple days (Logitech G500).

So Batman works with a game pad? Can someone point me to some good game pad options and do I need special software? (sorry, been a Mac guy for ages and a console gamer--PS3/360). :D[/QUOTE]

Not just a "good" option but the best option

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B002TIW7OI/ref=nosim/cheapassgam08-20

You don't need any special software for the 360 controllers- Windows 7 ships with the drivers (I think Vista also has them) and there is a Drivers CD included in case you are still on XP. You can use Xpadder for any games that do not support a controller.

[quote name='RebelCapitalist']It will be my first PC "shooting" experience in over a decade. [/QUOTE]

Welcome! If true, there's lots of stuff you missed! ;)

[quote name='RebelCapitalist']
So Batman works with a game pad? Can someone point me to some good game pad options and do I need special software? (sorry, been a Mac guy for ages and a console gamer--PS3/360). :D[/QUOTE]

Yes. Your best bet is a wired 360 pad -- just plug it in and it should work. Other controllers will work too, but might need software. I've heard good things about Xpadder (just google it), but haven't used it.

(a note: wireless 360 controllers require a special, expensive adaptor to work. ah, Microsoft)

Edit: darn you RColaUAB! :)

That reminds me...kinda off-topic, but does any 360 controller with on PC? Like...if I was to go to GameStop and get a used one, could I just plug it in and go, or is it a 360 style one specifically for PC? For that matter, do 3rd party ones work too? How about the charge kits?

[quote name='DrowVampyre']That reminds me...kinda off-topic, but does any 360 controller with on PC? Like...if I was to go to GameStop and get a used one, could I just plug it in and go, or is it a 360 style one specifically for PC? For that matter, do 3rd party ones work too? How about the charge kits?[/QUOTE]

For the most part yes. I actually use a 360 madcatz controller that is wired and the 360 driver for xp/vista/windows 7 worked with it. I'm pretty sure the gamestop 3rd party ones are made by madcatz, even so generic usb gamepad support should recognize it anyways. For the most part it should be plug it in and go, usually, esepcially with usb devices, drivers auto install. The charge kit I'm pretty sure would work because it is pulling power off the usb port, I'd have to imagine at least, all usb ports are 5V at least the 2.0 spec (memory is failing me if 1.1 spec is the same, but I presume everyone has 2.0 capable USB at this point). Other than that you should be good to rock and roll, and if you have any older games that don't have 360 gamepad support or their gamepad support is limited I heard xpadder is a decent software that makes them work great with old games or emulators or whatever. Hope this helps!

[quote name='RColaUAB']Not just a "good" option but the best option

-snip-

You don't need any special software for the 360 controllers- Windows 7 ships with the drivers (I think Vista also has them) and there is a Drivers CD included in case you are still on XP. You can use Xpadder for any games that do not support a controller.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I'll put this on my to-buy list then. I have Win 7 64-bit, so I'm set I guess.

Kind of odd though. The description says wireless, but reviews talk of plugging it in via USB. Kind of confusing. Too bad about the add-on purchase as I already have a couple wireless 360 controllers.

[quote name='jezz.torrent']Welcome! If true, there's lots of stuff you missed! ;)
[/QUOTE]

Yeah. I've been a Mac guy for about 10 years now and all my gaming has been on the PS3/Xbox.

Built my PC with work in mind, but then realized I can play tons and tons of games again.

Only downside is I've been working "a little less" the past two weeks. :D

Please, no-one buy Painkiller Universe or Painkiller: Resurrection by mistake, Pandemonium has their content+more for less $.

(BTW, I didn't think Resurrection was as bad as some of the reviews asserted.)

Is anyone else having problems patching Frontlines? The gamersgate download is 1.0, and the patch is for 1.1 to 1.2, so it won't let me install it. Does anyone know what to do?

[quote name='monkeyz']For the most part yes. I actually use a 360 madcatz controller that is wired and the 360 driver for xp/vista/windows 7 worked with it. I'm pretty sure the gamestop 3rd party ones are made by madcatz, even so generic usb gamepad support should recognize it anyways. For the most part it should be plug it in and go, usually, esepcially with usb devices, drivers auto install. The charge kit I'm pretty sure would work because it is pulling power off the usb port, I'd have to imagine at least, all usb ports are 5V at least the 2.0 spec (memory is failing me if 1.1 spec is the same, but I presume everyone has 2.0 capable USB at this point). Other than that you should be good to rock and roll, and if you have any older games that don't have 360 gamepad support or their gamepad support is limited I heard xpadder is a decent software that makes them work great with old games or emulators or whatever. Hope this helps![/QUOTE]

I bought a used wired 360 controller for like a bit over $20. I wouldn't bother with anything less than the Microsoft version of a 360 controller for using a controller on your PC unless you like betting every game'll have support. With the 360 controller, I'd say you're as close to guaranteed compatibility.

Bonus, the motor's stronger in the wired 360 controller than in the wireless one, so rumble is nearly violent.

I've wanted to play Batman for a long time, and the price for the PC version was too good to pass up. Thanks for the heads-up everyone, especially regarding the Xbox 360 controller compatibility.

[quote name='RebelCapitalist']Got another hard drive today (Samsung F3 1tb) and it was lonely, so I just bought UT3 Black for $4.95. :)

My god you will be sorely disappointed. Please pick up Team Fortress 2 or Bad Company 2 if you want a much better FPS experience. UT3 isn't a bad game, it just doesn't even compare to many other shooters on the market including its predecessor UT2K4.

[quote name='dallascowboys']Is anyone else having problems patching Frontlines? The gamersgate download is 1.0, and the patch is for 1.1 to 1.2, so it won't let me install it. Does anyone know what to do?[/QUOTE]

Be sure to get the 1.0.1, 1.0.2, 1.1.0, 1.1.1 patches first.

Heard back from Gamersgate about registering games purchased from them on Steam:

"Note that it is quite common that downloadable versions of games from most providers sometimes do not work with the original retail copies, or copies from other download providers (Steam in this case) due to the fact that the games are tailored for each specific provider. We are not cooperating with other providers, so we cannot guarantee any compatibility with their games, since their copy may be changed in some way. Our games are rarely changed now, so they mostly work with the retail copies.
Best Regards
Customer Support"

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']My god you will be sorely disappointed. Please pick up Team Fortress 2 or Bad Company 2 if you want a much better FPS experience. UT3 isn't a bad game, it just doesn't even compare to many other shooters on the market including its predecessor UT2K4.[/QUOTE]

Agreed IF you want to jump into multiplayer. I think UTIII is a great game to play with bots just to get re-familiar with FPS controls- that's what I did when I came back to PC gaming about a year and a half ago.

If you try to fire up a game of TF2 w/o playing any shooters in the past decade then you will end up very, very frustrated.

Yeah, I got UT to for bot fun. Figured it would be a good way to test out my gaming mouse when it comes and to get used to shooters on the computer.

My Xbox wired controller for Windows comes tomorrow too. Might have to look into Batman while it's on sale.

TF2 looks pretty fun.

I think UT3 is among the best games you could pick to get back into shooters after a long hiatus, since it plays so much like the original, but looks really great.

TF2 is a great bet cos it's well supported, look great, is fun and the community is generally great.

Got my 360 controller for Windows. Works nice! :D

Is it me or did BF: Bad Company 2 ($30) and Crysis ($15) + Warhead ($10) get added to the sale today? Don't recall seeing them. BFBC2 is same price on Steam though.

Must be losing my mind.

i was incredibly excited till i found out its PC games, i am a console gamer myself although i do play Starcraft 2// WOW i have no interest in upgrading or buying a new pc ever.

oh well some great deals i will defiantly pass this along to my pc gamer friends

It's a pretty solid ten hours I think. There are also a bunch of stealth and combat challenges after you beat the game. I don't know, I really loved it and think it's definitely worth it.

Additionally Arkham Asylum was one of few games where I actually collected everything cos it's really well integrated into the game.

Bottom line:

If you like Batman and you like video games and 16$ is a price you are willing to pay for an excellent video game, starring Batman, then get it and don't look back.

[quote name='RebelCapitalist']Got my 360 controller for Windows. Works nice! :D

Is it me or did BF: Bad Company 2 ($30) and Crysis ($15) + Warhead ($10) get added to the sale today? Don't recall seeing them. BFBC2 is same price on Steam though.

Must be losing my mind.[/QUOTE]

BFBC2 is 30$ everywhere now

[quote name='mrsamsa']BFBC2 is 30$ everywhere now[/QUOTE]

Ah ok. So like I suspected, this isn't really a "great" deal. :)

Bought the PS3 one when it came out for some reason and played it 15 minutes.

bread's done
Back