GamersGate Summer Sale - Beat Hazard $4, World of Goo $6.79, Other Misc. Casual Stuff

DrowVampyre

CAGiversary!
Feedback
13 (100%)
GamersGate has a big sale going on this month apparently, with each week being devoted to a different genre. First up: RPGs. For those of you that missed the original price during the Steam sale, they have The Witcher for $6.78, among others.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ChernobylCow']Does Batman:AA GOTY have a separate set of achievements for GFWL?[/QUOTE]

Separate from XBOX version, yes. Separate from regular PC version, no.

[quote name='Foo228']Put PC in the title man![/QUOTE]

Congratulations, your CAG vocabulary is expanding.
You now know:
The word "GamersGate" = PC

Here's a few more to help out:
"Steam" = PC
"Impulse" = PC
"GOG" = PC
"Direct2Drive" = PC

;)

Last edited by a moderator:
30$ for BFBC2 from Gamersgate isn't a deal per se, but the game being 30$ everywhere sure is. It's a great multiplayer shooter with a pretty good single player component. It's one of my most played online games.

So there is no way to get Unreal Tournament 3 Black registered on Steam even though it's on the list? Because I probably won't get it if I can't get it on Steam.

Man, I would be all over Batman, UT3, Necrovision, and Painkiller if I could register them through Steam...

Oh well, here is to hoping Steam's Winter Sale is even better than their Summer Sale!

[quote name='RebelCapitalist']Might be interested in CoH Gold. Never played it before though.[/QUOTE]

Think of it as Dawn of World War 2. If you like the Dawn of War games (the first one, not 2...though that's really great too), it plays pretty much the same as them, just with Axis vs. Allies instead of crazy steroid-fueled chainsword wielding zealots vs. daemon-worshipping versions of themselves and even more steroid-fueled green cockney-accented hooligans.

[quote name='RebelCapitalist']Figures. I just picked up Civ IV again last week. :(

Might be interested in CoH Gold. Never played it before though.[/QUOTE]

I personally wasn't a fan of the CoH series but I see the appeal. It's a very strategic game (Duh, it's a strategy game) heavily focused on territory control and placing yourself in good terrain. If you're looking for a micro heavy game like SC2, you probably won't like it.

This assessment could be wrong, I didn't play much of it.

Dang Men of War and Red Tide are really cheap. If you liked Soldiers: Heroes of WWII you should check out the MoW demo at least.

Nothing for me this week. (I'm not into many Strategy games, sadly.) What have the sale categories been so far? RPG, Action, and Strategy?

If that's the case, start making your guesses for the last sale category.

EDIT: Well, I suppose it would be "Adventure," though there's a chance it may be "Simulator." ("Casual" and "Kids" are unlikely choices, I'm guessing.)

Spellforce 2 was actually supposed to be a decent game, although it didn't get a lot of coverage in the U.S. (did a lot better in Europe). I've never played it, but it's supposedly like a cross between Diablo and Starcraft. But for the love of Pete, if you're going to buy it, buy the gold edition -- it's $5 and includes both of the $7.50 games on sale. Who came up with the pricing for this sale, I have no idea...

Edit: It also has a new expansion coming out in a couple of months, so it might actually have an online community that's still kicking to some extent, unlike many of these games.

Is CoH Gold good for single player? I really don't have any desire for the multi-player pwnage of myself right now. :)

Was thinking of trying that Grand Ages Rome for $5 too. Just started messing with total War Rome last night and it's fun.

As for next week, I'll guess casual as well (arcade, family feud type stuff).

I'm loving the complete randomness of pricing.

[quote name='RebelCapitalist']Is CoH Gold good for single player? I really don't have any desire for the multi-player pwnage of myself right now. :)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's just like Dawn of War, like I said upthread. If you liked that, you'll pretty much like CoH.

If I get a game through here will it work with steam play achievments (IE SAY I GOT BORDERLANDS) I dont think it works that way though

[quote name='DrowVampyre']Yeah, it's just like Dawn of War, like I said upthread. If you liked that, you'll pretty much like CoH.[/QUOTE]

Never played either. Just got back into PC gaming after a decade off. I'll take your word for it and try it out. Looks like I'll enjoy it. :)

Might get the Rome game and perhaps that cheap Spellforce 2 gold game. It's really hard to lose @ the $5 price point. And one thing I used to love on the PC was strategy games (C&C, Starcraft, Civ, even Sim City, et al).

No. Except if it's one you can register through Steam, then it should, but there aren't many of those. You can, of course, add it to the Steam launcher.

On a related note...what is it with achievements? I see people that talk as if the only reason they're buying a game is for achievement points on Steam or GFWL (not that you are, but I've seen it from some).

[quote name='RebelCapitalist']Never played either. Just got back into PC gaming after a decade off. I'll take your word for it and try it out. Looks like I'll enjoy it. :)[/QUOTE]

Ah. Well then, it's...hmm...it's an RTS where your units are squads rather than individuals, and you need to keep them reinforced if they get killed, which you can only do near certain buildings. It has a fairly strong cover element and destructable terrain features, and it's based on taking and holding sectors of whatever map/level you're on by capturing resource points. There's no resource gathering or anything - that's all handled by those resource points, so you have to make sure to defend them.

Also, as the time goes on in each level, you get "command points", up to a certain maximum depending on the level, that you can spend to upgrade your abilities or gain access to new ones (if you go for the artillery tree, for example, you get access to off-map artillery barrages and buildable howitzers and such, whereas if you go for airborne you get access to paratroopers and supply drops and the like).

Oh, and if you get Spellforce, let us know how it is. I'me kinda on the fence with it at the moment...

[quote name='DrowVampyre']

On a related note...what is it with achievements? I see people that talk as if the only reason they're buying a game is for achievement points on Steam or GFWL (not that you are, but I've seen it from some).[/QUOTE]

It was a console thing (360 first then PS3). Some people use it to measure themselves---no idea why. I found that I played games I liked more because I enjoyed trying to get all the achievements. And example would be playing Fallout 3 a few times to get all the little achievements. But I loved that game, so it was a joy. :)

Achievements/trophies/whatever are nice add-ons. Actually, it can help some games. Assassin's Creed 1 comes to mind. There was no reason to do most of the stuff in the game (flag collecting). But along came achievements--except for PS3 owners--and now there was at least a little reason to do so.

We all have our motivations I guess. :D

Well, it makes sense if it's a game you really like, but buying a game just for the achievements is...odd...to me... Then again, the entire e-peen phenomenon is odd to me, so maybe I'm the weird one, lol

[quote name='DrowVampyre']Well, it makes sense if it's a game you really like, but buying a game just for the achievements is...odd...to me... Then again, the entire e-peen phenomenon is odd to me, so maybe I'm the weird one, lol[/QUOTE]
As a notorious CAG, I agree; I see no point to spending money to play a game just for the achievement points.

Now, if those achievement points could be redeemed for real-life items, then I'd be interested. With GamersGate, at least they give the buyer a couple Blue Coins with each purchase.

[quote name='DrowVampyre']Well, it makes sense if it's a game you really like, but buying a game just for the achievements is...odd...to me... Then again, the entire e-peen phenomenon is odd to me, so maybe I'm the weird one, lol[/QUOTE]

I agree. The only thing you achieve is a loss of money in the real world, which is all that matters. :)

But I'm in my 30s and I think that stuff appeals more to the younger crowd.

Doesn't bother me. If they want to do it, have fun. At least game devs get supported. One trick for them I guess is to make a lot of achievements so even a crap game sells. :)

BTW, watched game video on You Tube for SpellForce 2. Not sure if I can get into it or not. CoH looked nice though. The Rome game is a buy for me just because I love the era. Need more of them.

[quote name='RebelCapitalist']I agree. The only thing you achieve is a loss of money in the real world, which is all that matters. :)

But I'm in my 30s and I think that stuff appeals more to the younger crowd.

Doesn't bother me. If they want to do it, have fun. At least game devs get supported. One trick for them I guess is to make a lot of achievements so even a crap game sells. :)

BTW, watched game video on You Tube for SpellForce 2. Not sure if I can get into it or not. CoH looked nice though. The Rome game is a buy for me just because I love the era. Need more of them.[/QUOTE]

I admit that I'm an achievement/ trophy junkie but I view them similar to high scores back in the arcade and NES era. I'm not going to play a bad game just for achievements but it gives me a reason to keep playing good games even after I beat the main campaign; which actually ends up saving me money because I don't go through games as fast.

Back on topic - SpellForce 2 is incredibly fun IF you can get into it. It reminds me a lot of HoMM V but SF2 was much more fun for me.

[quote name='RColaUAB']I admit that I'm an achievement/ trophy junkie but I view them similar to high scores back in the arcade and NES era. I'm not going to play a bad game just for achievements but it gives me a reason to keep playing good games even after I beat the main campaign; which actually ends up saving me money because I don't go through games as fast.

Back on topic - SpellForce 2 is incredibly fun IF you can get into it. It reminds me a lot of HoMM V but SF2 was much more fun for me.[/QUOTE]

I might get SF2 for later. Doubt it will be cheaper when I'm ready to give it a fair shot.

At some point I'll need a break from Civ V and Fallout Vegas. :)

anyone know if the gamersgate King Arthur serial will work on steam? steam says that it accepts king arthur keys but im unsure if its just retail or if it will also work with the gamersgate. I want to get it for steam as they have the DLC and expansion packs and after the UT3 key not working with the steam version i am leery of pulling the trigger.

GG has added C&C to the sale:

1. C&C Red Alert for Mac $15

2. C&C Red Alert Uprising US $9

3. C&C Red Alert 3 $15

Was thinking of getting RA3, but then I saw Amazon has it currently in disc form for $12.99 (and I get free 2-day shipping).

Don't know what Uprising is. Review said it was a short stand alone game or something.

So I bought spellforce Platinum and spellforce 2 gold from them the other night. BIG MISTAKE!

They did not even provide me with a cd key for spellforce platinum and the key for 2 gold is incomplete (lol). Also apparently you have to dl the game each time you even want to attempt to install the game. If the install fails or accidentily close the install opening, well apparently you have to go dl the whole game again.

I put in a support ticket with a screen shot of my account to show them whats going on. Still have not heard back from them. It baffles my mind that they sell games on demand without actually having keys for them.

So far the experience has been a total waste and a ripoff. Hopefully their support team is actually functional and email me back with the keys I bought.

That sucks. Every game I've bought from them has worked great. Hope you get it fixed.

Just getting CoH gold soon for this week's deals. Decided to pass on C&C and wait for a Tiberium deal (missed the EA one a couple weeks ago by 10 minutes).

[quote name='kosmos13x']So I bought spellforce Platinum and spellforce 2 gold from them the other night. BIG MISTAKE!

They did not even provide me with a cd key for spellforce platinum and the key for 2 gold is incomplete (lol). Also apparently you have to dl the game each time you even want to attempt to install the game. If the install fails or accidentily close the install opening, well apparently you have to go dl the whole game again.

I put in a support ticket with a screen shot of my account to show them whats going on. Still have not heard back from them. It baffles my mind that they sell games on demand without actually having keys for them.

So far the experience has been a total waste and a ripoff. Hopefully their support team is actually functional and email me back with the keys I bought.[/QUOTE]

I picked up spellforce 2 gold yesterday, the key is 32 letters/numbers long, just highlight the key and it will scroll sideways to show the full key. I already owned shadow wars boxed but can't seem to find dragon storm, and its weird that the spellforce pricing is not making any sense.:drool:

[quote name='cjt33']anyone know if the gamersgate King Arthur serial will work on steam? steam says that it accepts king arthur keys but im unsure if its just retail or if it will also work with the gamersgate. I want to get it for steam as they have the DLC and expansion packs and after the UT3 key not working with the steam version i am leery of pulling the trigger.[/QUOTE]

It's highly unlikely that Steam will allow a competitor version to be registered on their system.

Yah I found out that if I highlight the spellforce 2 gold key and paste it into notepad or something, it shows the full 40 character key which works. That problem solved though it is still kinda chitty on their part.

Still have not got a response about the spellforce platinum key. Saw on another forum that others were having the same problem and were told to just talk to the publisher for a key. Of course I already checked and the pub (jowood) basically said on their forum that the distributor needs to handle those problems not them. If gamergate tells me to just to talk to Jowood for a gamersgate key, im gonna rip them a new one lol. Thank god I paid with paypal in case I need to refund my money.

Civ IV is once again tempting, though I wish it was the Mac version.
I'm going to hold out on a Steam sale for it so I can get both Mac/PC versions for the same price (and with Civ 5 coming out this game will only be on sale more and more)

Dude, was last week horribly slow or something? I feel like getting to Week 4 has taken forever.

Personally, I hope there's at least one other noteworthy deal by the end of this sale.

I'm personally guessing the last category will be "Adventure," since the only other likely choice would be "Simulator."

There's been a bit of a sale drought the last few weeks, so I'm hoping Week 4 is solid.

That was Action, I believe. A lot of games may be classified as Action/Adventure, but we all know there is a difference between those games and a pure adventure experience.

What that translates to in GamersGate's classification system, I have no idea.

Personally, the thought of Week 4 being Simulator, Kids, or Casual saddens me.

[quote name='EliotAndrews']That was Action, I believe. A lot of games may be classified as Action/Adventure, but we all know there is a difference between those games and a pure adventure experience. [/QUOTE]Ah, I'm sorry. I totally blanked out about term "Adventure" games, which is sad since I'm currently playing Sam and Max at the moment. . .

Personally, the thought of Week 4 being Simulator, Kids, or Casual saddens me.
Kids and Casual I'll be a little alright with since I have a little cousin that uses my PC to play games here and there, but a Sim sale would truly break my heart... :cry:

Week 4 may also be a "bestseller" week, where they bring in the top ones from previous weeks (and probably add a few too). It could also be sports (yes, the only thing worse than sim! -_-).

Great. It's going to sports, I just know it. How about deals on sports games from 5 years ago. hahah

I really hope there's at least one killer dealer on a good game in week 4. Week 3 wasn't all that impressive. And listing BCBF2 at what's now retail price and calling it a sale is criminal. ;)

wow this is sad, lots of these games are crap and for those who don't know fate of hellas, golden horde and seven kingdoms can be bought as a 3 pack at retail for $10. I still wouldn't buy it because they are such bad games. all others worth buying i have bought at a pay what you want sales over the year. (its like a indie trend)

Yeah, after the first two weeks had such great deals, these past two have been a huge letdown...well, hopefully they'll sneak in a few extra over the next few days like they did in weeks 1 and 2, but even so...

bread's done
Back