GamersGate Summer Sale - Beat Hazard $4, World of Goo $6.79, Other Misc. Casual Stuff

DrowVampyre

CAGiversary!
Feedback
13 (100%)
GamersGate has a big sale going on this month apparently, with each week being devoted to a different genre. First up: RPGs. For those of you that missed the original price during the Steam sale, they have The Witcher for $6.78, among others.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='mcthatch']I hear a lot of people angry about the XBOX controls for DA:O. Should I sell my copy that I picked up for 10 bucks at the last BBV sale to buy the PC digital deluxe version?[/QUOTE]

It depends on how comfortable you are with XBOX RPG controls in general. I understand the console schemes work, but personally I don't think Western RPGs are well-suited to gamepads.

The PC version does allow you to move the camera out to a kind of isometric view, which is nice if you want an old-school, Baldur's Gate-type experience.

I'm interested in getting Torchlight for $5. Does Gamersgate give me a CD key i could register on steam? I'd like to be able to play on mac as well and it supports windows/mac crossover on steam.

[quote name='carthum']I'm interested in getting Torchlight for $5. Does Gamersgate give me a CD key i could register on steam? I'd like to be able to play on mac as well and it supports windows/mac crossover on steam.[/QUOTE]

I would think it would work, I took the CD key they gave me for DA:O and used it at ea.com in the download manager and it worked fine. I would think the key they would give you would work for Steam for that game, but I don't know for sure.

[quote name='gregnied']I would think it would work, I took the CD key they gave me for DA:O and used it at ea.com in the download manager and it worked fine. I would think the key they would give you would work for Steam for that game, but I don't know for sure.[/QUOTE]

oh well. tried it and it doesn't work. For $5 it wasn't too bad a mistake.

[quote name='Tate Donovan']Has anyone played Dragon Age on Vista with only 2 GB or ram? Trying to figure out if it's worth trying on my PC.[/QUOTE]

Yes, it runs fine on my system

C2D e6750
2gb DDR2 PC6400 RAM
PNY nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS 512mb

Just bought Dragon Age: Origins for $14.95 since I read it was decent.

Been playing it for the last 3-4 hours and am loving it. Looks great and plays great so far.

Got Dragon Armor for Mass Effect 2 also, but haven't played it yet so no clue how that all works.

Wonder what next week's deals will bring. :)

[quote name='carthum']oh well. tried it and it doesn't work. For $5 it wasn't too bad a mistake.[/QUOTE]

How strange. The Steam Support lists that it supported Torchlight can be registered through the program. I guess it doesn't work on digital downloads.

[quote name='Devulture']How strange. The Steam Support lists that it supported Torchlight can be registered through the program. I guess it doesn't work on digital downloads.[/QUOTE]

That's the case. The key gamer's gate gives you doesn't even match the format steam uses. I've emailed steam and gamersgate to see if either can help me but i'm not too optimistic. Hopefully if anyone else wants to try they'll at least be able to find this thread now so they know it doesn't work.

[quote name='carthum']That's the case. The key gamer's gate gives you doesn't even match the format steam uses. I've emailed steam and gamersgate to see if either can help me but i'm not too optimistic. Hopefully if anyone else wants to try they'll at least be able to find this thread now so they know it doesn't work.[/QUOTE]

Yes, that list is for retail boxed versions. For obvious reasons, it wouldn't make sense for Steam to support its direct competition.

[quote name='RebelCapitalist']Just bought Dragon Age: Origins for $14.95 since I read it was decent.

Been playing it for the last 3-4 hours and am loving it. Looks great and plays great so far.

Got Dragon Armor for Mass Effect 2 also, but haven't played it yet so no clue how that all works.

Wonder what next week's deals will bring. :)[/QUOTE]

The first time you get on your ship and access your cabin where you can change Shepard's outfit, your Blood Dragon armor should be there. It's a decent set of armor, but the helmet completely obscures Shepard's head, just like the DA version.

[quote name='warreni']Yes, that list is for retail boxed versions. For obvious reasons, it wouldn't make sense for Steam to support its direct competition.[/QUOTE]

That's what i wasn't sure of. I checked the FAQ and it just says "retail CD keys". Retail is just the sale of goods to a consumer. It would be nice if they updated it to say "physical" or "boxed" retail keys or stated no other downloaded service keys would work....

The problem is some other places keys DO work to let you register on steam.

All of this download games stuff is new to me (been on Mac forever). What's the big deal about a game being Steam compatible or whatever? Just wondering if I'm missing something.

[quote name='RebelCapitalist']All of this download games stuff is new to me (been on Mac forever). What's the big deal about a game being Steam compatible or whatever? Just wondering if I'm missing something.[/QUOTE]

Steam is Valve's online downloading service. We like it.

store.steampowered.com

Guys, does Dues Ex have a good story that will captivate and engross you into the world and stuff? I know the visuals are dated but if the story/plot is good then I can ignore the look.

[quote name='applesauce']Guys, does Dues Ex have a good story that will captivate and engross you into the world and stuff? I know the visuals are dated but if the story/plot is good then I can ignore the look.[/QUOTE]

Yes, very much. And how you play it changes how the story progresses.

[quote name='mcthatch']Steam is Valve's online downloading service. We like it.

store.steampowered.com[/QUOTE]

I know that much. But I see people wanting Steam integration and stuff. Are you saying it's just personal preference and not losing out on something?

So far I've bought from Steam, D2D and GamersGate. Just want to make sure I'm not doing something wrong. :)

[quote name='RebelCapitalist']I know that much. But I see people wanting Steam integration and stuff. Are you saying it's just personal preference and not losing out on something?

So far I've bought from Steam, D2D and GamersGate. Just want to make sure I'm not doing something wrong. :)[/QUOTE]

Pretty much. Some people are really into achievements for some reason, which Steam has but the others don't, so sometimes that's an issue too. Personally, I buy from wherever I get the best price.

[quote name='warreni']The first time you get on your ship and access your cabin where you can change Shepard's outfit, your Blood Dragon armor should be there. It's a decent set of armor, but the helmet completely obscures Shepard's head, just like the DA version.[/QUOTE]

But with Dragon Age, in non-combat dialogue scenes, helmets are off of your characters so you can see their faces while talking. Yet this is not how it was for Mass Effect 2. Something I will NEVER understand why Bioware made that decision and one of the few flaws with ME 2.

[quote name='RebelCapitalist']Just bought Dragon Age: Origins for $14.95 since I read it was decent.

Wonder what next week's deals will bring. :)[/QUOTE]

Just beware that any weapon/armor you get from most of the DLC's (Warden's Keep, Stone Prisoner, Return to Ostagar) and any of the pre-order DLC (including the Blood Dragon Armor) WILL NOT work if you continue your character into the expansion, Awakening.

Just be sure you have a good set on your character that's not DLC when you're about to fight the final boss and you'll be fine. Even if you forget, you'll get a default set or armor on with the newest patch (which is a welcome fix with the newest patch as before you would start Awakening naked.)

[quote name='MSUHitman']Just beware that any weapon/armor you get from most of the DLC's (Warden's Keep, Stone Prisoner, Return to Ostagar) and any of the pre-order DLC (including the Blood Dragon Armor) WILL NOT work if you continue your character into the expansion, Awakening.

Just be sure you have a good set on your character that's not DLC when you're about to fight the final boss and you'll be fine. Even if you forget, you'll get a default set or armor on with the newest patch (which is a welcome fix with the newest patch as before you would start Awakening naked.)[/QUOTE]

Ah ok. Put in about 7 hours today. This game is great. ;)

I'll get the Awakening when the price is really low or right before DA-O2 comes.

[quote name='RebelCapitalist']I know that much. But I see people wanting Steam integration and stuff. Are you saying it's just personal preference and not losing out on something?

So far I've bought from Steam, D2D and GamersGate. Just want to make sure I'm not doing something wrong. :)[/QUOTE]

I'm on a Mac and really like the "Steam Play" feature. If you buy either the Windows or the OSX version you get both. It makes it so I don't have to reboot whichever OS i may be using at the time. It isn't a huge deal but it is really nice touch and something I try look for.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Just beware that any weapon/armor you get from most of the DLC's (Warden's Keep, Stone Prisoner, Return to Ostagar) and any of the pre-order DLC (including the Blood Dragon Armor) WILL NOT work if you continue your character into the expansion, Awakening.

Just be sure you have a good set on your character that's not DLC when you're about to fight the final boss and you'll be fine. Even if you forget, you'll get a default set or armor on with the newest patch (which is a welcome fix with the newest patch as before you would start Awakening naked.)[/QUOTE]

thanks for the tip on this - it'll probably be a while before I get to the final boss, but since I already have Awakening, i wouldn't want to end up leaving behind any armor I might want to take with me.

[quote name='RebelCapitalist']I'll get the Awakening when the price is really low or right before DA-O2 comes.[/QUOTE]

It's $20 this weekend on EA's Digital Download storefront.

I know some DD doesn't play nice with steam. Arkham GOTY is tempting at $16, but am I able to take my CD key and activate it with Steam if I buy it from GG?

Thanks in advance.

Nothing for me this week but I would have jumped on Batman and Borderlands if I did not have them already

How's the Unreal Tournament 3 online community? Is it worth buying this game to play online? I never really played an Unreal game before other than 20 minutes of 2004 with bots only.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Just beware that any weapon/armor you get from most of the DLC's (Warden's Keep, Stone Prisoner, Return to Ostagar) and any of the pre-order DLC (including the Blood Dragon Armor) WILL NOT work if you continue your character into the expansion, Awakening.[/QUOTE]

Actually, items from Stone Prisoner and Return to Ostagar will work in Awakening. When I transferred my character from Origins to Awakening, he still had the Helm of Honnleath (from Stone Prisoner) and Cailan's Armor (from Return to Ostagar). He was missing Starfang (from Warden's Keep). I believe it's only Warden's Keep and pre-order items that are affected, even though Bioware stated that only Return to Ostagar items would transfer.

[quote name='Scorch']Is Batman an import copy? It shows the PEGI rating instead of ESRB[/QUOTE]
I don't believe so, though it wouldn't matter much anyway. (I don't think GamersGate put much effort into amassing box art images.) Whatever the case may be, I wouldn't worry - In the worst cases, you'll get multiple activation keys based on country, so it won't matter.

Nothing for me this week, it seems, so it's going to be a boring 6 days.

By the way Scorch, awesome avatar image; Super Mario RPG is an all-time favorite of mine, and I wish more people paid tribute to it these days.

[quote name='Scorch']Is Batman an import copy? It shows the PEGI rating instead of ESRB[/QUOTE]

GG is based out of Sweden, so they usually use the EU package graphics as a default.

Meh, the only title I'd actually be interested in is Batman GOTY edition, but I've already beat it for the PS3 and I'm not too sure if I'm willing to go back to Arkham Island anytime soon.

That and there's no 3-D glasses. :(

[quote name='mrsamsa']Here is the list of games you can activate on Steam

UT3 can be activated and is a steal at that price. It's not often that populace, but is a great vs AI game/LAN party game for 5$.

Does anyone know if Gamer's Gate actually shows you your CD key so you can activate on Steam?[/QUOTE]

That link should just be mandatory on all DD threads. 5 seconds Google search, people.

I bought Riddick last night and it did show me the key at the order details page as well as the My Games link once logged in.

[quote name='radioactivez0r']That link should just be mandatory on all DD threads. 5 seconds Google search, people.

I bought Riddick last night and it did show me the key at the order details page as well as the My Games link once logged in.[/QUOTE]

Awesome, Thanks.

[quote name='chrollo']accidentally bought chaser oh well its only 2 bucks[/QUOTE]
This may be a silly question, but how do you accidentally buy a game?

[quote name='EliotAndrews']This may be a silly question, but how do you accidentally buy a game?[/QUOTE]

I accidentally bought a game on direct2drive once. I was entering a coupon code, and hit enter on my keyboard when i was done. Instead of inputting the code, it purchased the game for me.

Customer service was horrible. I tried getting credit in the amount of the coupon code, but they claimed that the code had expired, even though I was still able to input the code on the order page. After four days of arguing with customer service, they gave me a credit worth half of the coupon code.

It wasn't a big deal, since I was technically only out $2.50, but it will make me think twice about purchasing from direct2drive again.

[quote name='mrsamsa']Here is the list of games you can activate on Steam

UT3 can be activated and is a steal at that price. It's not often that populace, but is a great vs AI game/LAN party game for 5$.

Does anyone know if Gamer's Gate actually shows you your CD key so you can activate on Steam?[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but I can't get my UTIII code to register with Steam. The product code seems to be in the same format as Steam wants but it keeps saying its invalid. Let me know if you've been able to register your GamersGate copy of UTIII with Steam.

[quote name='Brownjohn']I accidentally bought a game on direct2drive once. I was entering a coupon code, and hit enter on my keyboard when i was done. Instead of inputting the code, it purchased the game for me.

Customer service was horrible. I tried getting credit in the amount of the coupon code, but they claimed that the code had expired, even though I was still able to input the code on the order page. After four days of arguing with customer service, they gave me a credit worth half of the coupon code.

It wasn't a big deal, since I was technically only out $2.50, but it will make me think twice about purchasing from direct2drive again.[/QUOTE]

I had the same thing happen to me on direct2drive. They really need to update their checkout process.

bread's done
Back