GameStop Ad 01/02-01/08 50% Off Strategy Guides, Skylanders Deals, Price Drops, more

klimb22

CAGiversary!
Feedback
17 (100%)
GameStop Ad 01/02-01/08: http://www.gamestop.com/gs/weeklyad/current/010213/pdf/olfsi_010213.pdf

I know this is usually litepink's thing (props), but I'm not about type out the whole ad when the .pdf is readily available. I wikified the thread if litepink or others would like to add other items of special interest.

Don't mind if I do :) -lp

:360: :ps3: :wii:
Wii_U_platform_icon.png
:3ds: Skylanders Giants Starter Pack $64.99
icongs_r1.gif
Skylander Giants Exclusive 3-Pack $24.99 (releases 01/11/13)

-Bobblehead Stylus $4.99
-Adventure Case $19.99
-Zip Case $9.99
-Battle Arena $29.99

:360::ps3: Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion GOTY $19.99

:wii::3ds: Wreck-it Ralph $19.99

:360::ps3: Cabela's Dangerous Hunts 2013 $69.99 :wii: $49.99

:360::ps3: Legends of War Patton $39.99

:pc: World of Warcraft Battlechest $4.99

:360::ps3: Angry Birds Trilogy $29.99

:360::ps3: 007 Legends $49.99

:360::ps3: Family Guy Back to the Multiverse $49.99

:360::ps3: NASCAR Inside Line $49.99

:360::ps3: WWE 13 $29.99

icongs_r1.gif
50% off all strategy guides

Picked up the updated Skyrim guide for $12 (so much content holy crap!) and the Dead or Alive 5 guide for $4. Going to a different GS tomorrow to see what else I can get. Really wanting to pick up the ACIII CE guide.

Went to a store today and asked the guy what kinds of guides they had since they dont keep them out in the ones I go to.

He said they had to many for him to list them all out to me, which I was happy about.. But he refused to print out a list or write them down or anything. He said they're not supposed to print listings out, said if I want a specific one he can check if they have it or not.

Was there a reason for this? Seems like a REALLY good idea if they dont want to ever sell guides, despite a sale to get rid of them.

Thanks! I bought the standard and collector's edition Final Fantasy XIII-2 guides today for $19.46 after tax. Looks like I'm going back to Best Buy to return the CE guide I bought there a few days ago for $22.69 by itself!

[quote name='Royal High Knight']How is volume 2? I know it mostly details where exactly to catch all 6 billionmagillion pokemon, but is that it? Volume 1 is the basic walkthrough for the game and tells you what pokemon are on every route, etc... The stupid employee took 5 minutes and only pulled out volume 1 so I took it since I jiust wanted to gtfo as soon as possible.[/QUOTE]I haven't really had a chance to go through it, but it looks like it's primarily an in-depth look at every Pokemon--stats, moves, locations, and all. Thanks for the clarification, though; I wasn't sure if I bought a different version of the Pokedex since the cover isn't the same as the one on Amazon's page here.

[quote name='roundhouse']People still buy game guides? Let me tell you about this little invention called "the internet"...[/QUOTE]
yeah people actually buy them because they need help with games and have no internet access

Call it nostalgia, I guess. There's just something about the convenience and feel of a book in your hands. I remember dragging around the EarthBound players' guide everywhere I went, spending more time memorizing it than I did actually playing the game. It was 1995, I was 8 years old and cell phones were still the size of some clock radios. /old man rant

i remember when the internet wasn't around and kids knew when to keep their mouths closed.

[quote name='roundhouse']People still buy game guides? Let me tell you about this little invention called "the internet"...[/QUOTE]

Game guides are about more than looking things up for help. For example, I am currently playing and reading the guide for Borderlands 2. The artwork is great. There is a lot of background information that I would never see or look for on the internet. Also, there is a lot of humor in it.

I look at guides as an homage to the game you like and a way to supplement and enhance the experience.

That being said, I won't pay more than about $5 for any guide since I do have internet access.

Ugh, i'm so filled with sadness! I want the FFXIII-2 guide,but the only store in my area is small and never has it.

What's the difference between the regular and the CE?

ALSO: About pennied guides, do you usually just ask them if they have any or do you look for them on the rack for example?

I never knew about pennied guides before and I would LOVE to collect strategy guides as well as use them.

[quote name='technicalstylez']i remember when the internet wasn't around and kids knew when to keep their mouths closed.[/QUOTE]

Thank you.

Next we need games to have 40 year old + matchmaking options.

[quote name='jessesixto']How much are you guys picking up the Borderland LE Guide for?[/QUOTE]

I mean, just do the math. It's 36.99 and then half off. So 18.49. I think I got extra because I picked a game up along with it yesterday.

[quote name='tuffguycore']I mean, just do the math. It's 36.99 and then half off. So 18.49. I think I got extra because I picked a game up along with it yesterday.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! Just making sure if it wasn't a penny thing.

[quote name='WNYX585AM']I am currently playing and reading the guide for Borderlands 2.
...I won't pay more than about $5 for any guide since I do have internet access.[/QUOTE]is there a special deal on the BL2 guide to make it less than $5?

[quote name='tribalnoise']is there a special deal on the BL2 guide to make it less than $5?[/QUOTE]

I think he's saying he's using the internet for the strategy guide.

[quote name='tuffguycore']I think he's saying he's using the internet for the strategy guide.[/QUOTE]but he also says it has great artwork. :drool:

[quote name='tuffguycore']I mean, just do the math. It's 36.99 and then half off. So 18.49. I think I got extra because I picked a game up along with it yesterday.[/QUOTE]

$34.99. I think it was $15.75 or so before tax for me.

Sniper Elite V2 worth $20? I played the demo a couple times and thought it was pretty cool. Just not sure how the whole game plays out.

[quote name='tuffguycore']I think he's saying he's using the internet for the strategy guide.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Guides in general are for people that are looking for more than just help beating a game. GameFaqs works great if that is all you want. I get some of them for my son, because he loves to look through them and design his own levels and such, not to mention for the games he likes they usually have stickers and such. I have to remind him from time to time that he needs to at least try to figure things out on his own instead of just playing through the game with the book beside him.

[quote name='krashhole']Sniper Elite V2 worth $20? I played the demo a couple times and thought it was pretty cool. Just not sure how the whole game plays out.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking of picking it up, but apparently there is a $30 complete version (says 5 DLC packs including Kill Hilter) coming in March. I won't get to the game anytime soon, so I figure I'll wait for that.

[quote name='krashhole']Sniper Elite V2 worth $20? I played the demo a couple times and thought it was pretty cool. Just not sure how the whole game plays out.[/QUOTE]
Sniper Elite v2 is so good. IMO the best simulation of being a WW2 sniper in a game yet and then some. Worth every penny.

What are the chances of finding a CE Mass Effect 3 guide? I've been putting it off to getting one for quite awhile. Anybody catch one?

[quote name='Ravenduo']Sniper Elite v2 is so good. IMO the best simulation of being a WW2 sniper in a game yet and then some. Worth every penny.[/QUOTE]

I liked it but found it to be more of a shooting gallery than an stealthy 1-shot sniper game. It's fun, I just got tired of having to kill everything. Maybe I'm playing it wrong? :roll:

On topic: Picked up Hitman Absolution CE guide today. They've been hiding them in the back apparently.

[quote name='Lamboski']What are the chances of finding a CE Mass Effect 3 guide? I've been putting it off to getting one for quite awhile. Anybody catch one?[/QUOTE]
They got pennied out a couple of months ago. The Best Buy I go to still has a couple, but at least the last time I looked at it, it was still $40.

[quote name='Lamboski']What are the chances of finding a CE Mass Effect 3 guide? I've been putting it off to getting one for quite awhile. Anybody catch one?[/QUOTE]

They have about 4 at our BB.. but its hardbacked, and like $40 or something.

Just scanned the CE ME3 guide today at Best Buy to see if it was pennied. It was $40. It's more expensive than the game...

[quote name='tuffguycore']I think he's saying he's using the internet for the strategy guide.[/QUOTE]

No, I bought the Borderlands 2 guide used from Hastings as part of their 5 for $25 deal a month or two ago. It came in mint condition (possibly even new). I was simply mentioning the Borderlands 2 guide as an example of why I like guides and also mentioned that I don't spend a huge amount on guides. I did not mean to infer that it is on sale for that price.

picked up quite a few at this sale:
Paper Mario:Sticker
XCom: Enemy Unknown
Mario Brothers U
Guild Wars 2
RE6
DOA (4 or 5 )
Tekken Tag
Soul Calibur 5 SE
Max Payne
Dragon's Dogma

~50 bucks in credit which I am pretty happy with considering I recently bought a few of this for as much if not less than the guides.

Scored the ACIII and Borderlands 2 hardcover CE guides today for $15 a piece. I'm such a sucker for those hardcover CE guides, not to mention for some games (like ACIII), the extra story content covered in the CE guides are well worth it. Might pick up the RE6 CE guide as well this weekend and scoop up anything else I can find before the sale ends.

the strategy guides... does that count for ones not out yet? i'd like to get ni no kuni if possible (i've got the game preordered at gamestop and the strat guide at amazon... it's like $24 bucks)

I joined the free gamers rewards for bestbuy then printed the coupon for 40% off strategy guides and bought it at best buy yesterday. My mom gave me a 5 dollar rewards coupon so it was like 19 bucks and goes great with the collectors edition i just ordered for 29

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='fortunado']I liked it but found it to be more of a shooting gallery than an stealthy 1-shot sniper game. It's fun, I just got tired of having to kill everything. Maybe I'm playing it wrong? :roll:

On topic: Picked up Hitman Absolution CE guide today. They've been hiding them in the back apparently.[/QUOTE]
I'm not going to discount your opinion of the game but just make a point. The object of most FPS game is to kill everything. And this was not only a one shot sniper game, it was a one shot slow motion x-ray vision spine cracking sniper game. But that is just my opinion. (by the way, I picked up the Hitman Absolution CE guide too and they were also hiding it in the back)

bet u itsa cag listing hoping the crazy high price will result in a crazy high tiv.

[quote name='chunlirocks']wow. why the hell is the goty guide for rdr going for 200 blades

wow[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Potatoeman']Went to a store today and asked the guy what kinds of guides they had since they dont keep them out in the ones I go to.

He said they had to many for him to list them all out to me, which I was happy about.. But he refused to print out a list or write them down or anything. He said they're not supposed to print listings out, said if I want a specific one he can check if they have it or not.

Was there a reason for this? Seems like a REALLY good idea if they dont want to ever sell guides, despite a sale to get rid of them.[/QUOTE]

Because thats a ton of work that he doesn't want to do. I rather organize the used wall than type in every strategy guide available.

[quote name='finstersucks']Because thats a ton of work that he doesn't want to do. I rather organize the used wall than type in every strategy guide available.[/QUOTE]

It literally took 30 seconds for my local GS to print the list of available strategy guides at the store. Pretty painless and not a "ton of work."

i thought penny guides were a thing of the past..... didn't know they still do em.... why has the penny guide thread died out?

[quote name='canvasch']i thought penny guides were a thing of the past..... didn't know they still do em.... why has the penny guide thread died out?[/QUOTE]
Dunno, but Penny guides intrigue me! Who could resist at a penny!

So when you are looking for these, do you just ask one of the associates if they have any pennied guides?

[quote name='canvasch']i thought penny guides were a thing of the past..... didn't know they still do em.... why has the penny guide thread died out?[/QUOTE]

A combination of reasons (others can add if they want):
1.Idiot editors of printed magazines writing articles to specifically bring the existence of these items for everyone to note.
2. Gamestop, ToysRus and Bestbuy have been actually doing their jobs on time. Removing them the instance they become a penny or simply refusing to sell them/give them away.
3. Some old (no longer here) CAGs raising hell and calling customer service numbers whenever they were denied a sale of a penny guide.

And to the question above: No, you don't ask about them, because they will simply deny the sale or tell you that you're crazy.
If you know something is a penny, you bring it to the counter, and play innocent/ignorant. If they're nice, they'll give it to you. If they're a__holes, they will do an override, and ask you to pay retail for it. If they're just doing their jobs, they will simply tell you that it's a penny, and they cannot let you have it.

[quote name='dragonjud']A combination of reasons (others can add if they want):
1.Idiot editors of printed magazines writing articles to specifically bring the existence of these items for everyone to note.
2. Gamestop, ToysRus and Bestbuy have been actually doing their jobs on time. Removing them the instance they become a penny or simply refusing to sell them/give them away.
3. Some old (no longer here) CAGs raising hell and calling customer service numbers whenever they were denied a sale of a penny guide.

And to the question above: No, you don't ask about them, because they will simply deny the sale or tell you that you're crazy.
If you know something is a penny, you bring it to the counter, and play innocent/ignorant. If they're nice, they'll give it to you. If they're a__holes, they will do an override, and ask you to pay retail for it. If they're just doing their jobs, they will simply tell you that it's a penny, and they cannot let you have it.[/QUOTE]
Good to know thanks.

I guess they wouldn't want you to have it for a penny because that would give you the expectation to wait for something to penny out again.

Shame, what a waste

[quote name='MrBonk']Good to know thanks.

I guess they wouldn't want you to have it for a penny because that would give you the expectation to wait for something to penny out again.

Shame, what a waste[/QUOTE]

GameStop employees are required to throw them away...it's such a waste

Don't know if this has been said but it is NOT 50% it is 60% with PUR. I just got back from GS and got Skylanders Giants for my son, and the guy told me with PUR you get the EXTRA 10% even though it is a NEW item, so it only cost $8, which was a great deal.

The OP of that series of threads, I Am The Cheapest Gamer, was banned from CAG.

bread's done
Back