Not open for further replies.
Current Ad is 6/13 - 6/19

Weekly Ad:
http://www.gamestop.com/weeklyad

PDF version:
https://www.gamestop.com/gs/pages/weeklyad/current/061318/pdf/OLFSI_061318.pdf

​Current Trade in Promos:

​
Get $100 toward a New Nintendo Switch when you trade an Wii U, 3DS XL, or PS Vita
Until 6/17​
 ​
Get $150 toward a New Nintendo Switch when you trade an Xbox One Original
Until 6/17​
 ​
 ​
Get $250 toward a New Nintendo Switch when you trade an Xbox One Slim or PS4
Until 6/17​
 ​
 ​
Get $300 toward a New Nintendo Switch when you trade an Xbox One X or PS4 Pro
Until 6/17​
 ​
 ​
 ​
Get up to 40% Extra Trade Credit When You Trade Toward XBOX / ITUNES / PS currencies (ending 7/6)

40% total bonus from BASE for Elite
30% total bonus from BASE for Pro

20% total bonus from BASE for everyone else

​
Get $20 guaranteed when trading select titles toward any new pre-order or purchase.
Valid until 6/17
*item being pre-ordered must be 39.99 or higher
ELIGIBLE GAMES....
https://www.gamestop.com/trade/Browse/N-0Z1z13laj?Ntt=guartmay18

Get $80 guaranteed for ANY PS3 system traded toward a new PS4
Valid until 6/17

​
25% extra credit on any hardware traded
Valid until 6/17​

​
Get $5 Extra Toward Your Pre-Order When You Trade a PS4, Xbox One or Nintendo Switch Game
Valid until 6/17​
Min trade value of $2

Limit 1 $5 per preorder

GS FAQ

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
​You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of a game (per system) within a rolling 30 day period.

What do I need to trade in an older console?

​​
the console, power cable, av cable, and controller; sometimes they don't care about USB charge cable but ymmv. 3ds xl trade would be console, charger, stylus. Some have reported being charged refurb fee for a stylus, but again ymmv (answer stolen from anarchyburger)​

FAQ will be entered when those questions get asked frequently.​

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO

ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free. Typically refers to the coupon you receive when becoming Pro.
GCU/BB: Gamer’s Club Unlocked, Best Buy
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.[/background][/size][/quote]

Last edited by a moderator:
I regret trading in my old Xbox One for a Switch. Why? Because I wiped the console before taking it to the store, and the first one I went to refused to even hook it up to the internet to get through the initial setup, even though I had downloaded the update before going to the store. Second store had an employee who kind of treated me like an idiot because I told him that it didn't need to download an update, just that it needed to be connected to get through the opening steps, but he relented and actually connected it to their Wi-Fi. Sure enough, it did exactly as I said and once it was online, it said that it didn't actually need to update and went through everything without a hitch - except for when he popped a game in there to see if it worked and it wanted to not only install it, but download a 1GB patch. I was literally in the store for over an hour and fifteen minutes before they got everything figured out and decided that I wasn't trying to sell them a broken console.

So why do you have to jump through so many hoops when setting up an Xbox One for the first time? I didn't realize it was so bad (seeing as how I did it years ago and either forgot what it was like, or it's worse now), and it's common knowledge that you should wipe your data from anything you trade in (or at least it was in the past). What happened to the days where you could turn on a console and start playing in less than a minute?

tl;dr: don't wipe your Xbox One before going to the store, because they'll either turn you away or take an hour to test it. Evidently they'll reset it for you once they're done testing everything, if my post-trade googling is correct.

ps4 works similarly. neither company would be the least bit upset if they heard it was inconvenient to sell your old console to someone so they could buy a used one. in fact they would probably do a little fist pump.

I just called a store and asked if that would matter and the lady said yes, they'd have to defect it and that would take $10-15 off the price. That seemed like a hefty amount considering they'd only give me $35 to begin with. Is it that much or did she just not want to have to deal with another frickin wii trade in?
If it's missing the door on top, it's considered defective even if the system works fine, as they have to get it sent out to the warehouse, unless they can order replacement wii doors now. The defective fee is really heavy on consoles, yes.

Thanks, but I wasn't questioning the defect, I was questioning the amount that would be taken off.
I traded in a ps3 controller that had a wonky analog (which I told them about) and the TIV dropped from $18 to $15. So it seems weird $35 would drop to $20.

I regret trading in my old Xbox One for a Switch. Why? Because I wiped the console before taking it to the store, and the first one I went to refused to even hook it up to the internet to get through the initial setup, even though I had downloaded the update before going to the store. Second store had an employee who kind of treated me like an idiot because I told him that it didn't need to download an update, just that it needed to be connected to get through the opening steps, but he relented and actually connected it to their Wi-Fi. Sure enough, it did exactly as I said and once it was online, it said that it didn't actually need to update and went through everything without a hitch - except for when he popped a game in there to see if it worked and it wanted to not only install it, but download a 1GB patch. I was literally in the store for over an hour and fifteen minutes before they got everything figured out and decided that I wasn't trying to sell them a broken console.

So why do you have to jump through so many hoops when setting up an Xbox One for the first time? I didn't realize it was so bad (seeing as how I did it years ago and either forgot what it was like, or it's worse now), and it's common knowledge that you should wipe your data from anything you trade in (or at least it was in the past). What happened to the days where you could turn on a console and start playing in less than a minute?

tl;dr: don't wipe your Xbox One before going to the store, because they'll either turn you away or take an hour to test it. Evidently they'll reset it for you once they're done testing everything, if my post-trade googling is correct.
Always wipe your console, but always also get it back to the start screen with a generic account on it if you have to. That way your data is wiped and they see that it works and then they typically wipe it again. But on the off chance they don't wipe your data it's good to do it yourself because I don't trust GS employees to do everything the right way. I've traded in many consoles doing this and never taken more then 10 minutes for a transaction. It takes a little effort at home before you go ( yes the Xbox one takes forever to get started) but then you don't have to waste time standing around in the store. Their protocal is to see it working and load a game to make sure the disc drive works, so if the system isn't able to immediately boot a game they can't verify everything works. With that said it does sound like you got some crappy GameStop employees that just didn't want to deal with a console trade in which is unfortunate. I've gotten employees like that when I've taken in old phones in the past that talk down to you and try to make you feel like an idiot, it's not a fun experience.

Well that was weird
Ordered fallout 4 game of the year and a $10 digital Xbox card to get free shipping and it errored out when I hit the confirmation button
Tried it again and got an error message
Looked up my trade in card and lost $20
No record on my account or email so I’ll take the L but still call in the morning to get my $20 back

No 70% lame!

Elite Pro Members: 50% Extra Credit. Pro Members: 40% Extra Credit. Others: 30% Extra Credit. Get up to 50% extra credit when you trade 6+ games, up to 40% extra credit with 4+ games, or up to 30% extra credit with 2+ games. Not valid toward cash trades. Trades must be in full working condition to receive full value. Defective items may be eligible for trade at a lesser value. Trades subject to manager approval. Cannot be combined with any other offer. See store associate for details. No dealers. Offer valid in the United States and Guam only. Void where prohibited. GameStop, Inc. reserves the right to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the offer for any reason without notice. Offer valid 6/18/18 - 7/8/18.

Honestly, it's a good thing that people are getting denied gift receipts and being able to return or exchange the Switches they trade it for the promotion. I send a registered letter to corporate and an e-mail awhile back along with printouts of the users on here and on another site who have been taking advantage of these promotions and either canceling the preorders or returning the games or systems they traded in for bonuses. So the company is definitely aware that people have been doing that.
can you imagine being so bad at trading that you resent anyone more successful than you. That for years you would waste time and energy making account after account to post the same old thing. To be fuming so much at others success that you would write letters to a soulless corporation hoping it means anything at all in the end. All these years later and to still be seething over it. Imagine valuing your time so little. At first I thought it was funny but now it's funny and sad at the same time. Thank you for the good chuckle.

Honestly, it's a good thing that people are getting denied gift receipts and being able to return or exchange the Switches they trade it for the promotion. I send a registered letter to corporate and an e-mail awhile back along with printouts of the users on here and on another site who have been taking advantage of these promotions and either canceling the preorders or returning the games or systems they traded in for bonuses. So the company is definitely aware that people have been doing that.
*snap*

Yep, this is going into my cringe compilation.

And believe me, I do have one. I literally took a screenshot to laugh at your message at a later date.

I picked up a wii at a garage sale for next to nothing that I'm going to trade in to Gamestop. Only thing wrong with it is that it's missing the door that covers the gamecube ports.

I just called a store and asked if that would matter and the lady said yes, they'd have to defect it and that would take $10-15 off the price. That seemed like a hefty amount considering they'd only give me $35 to begin with. Is it that much or did she just not want to have to deal with another frickin wii trade in?
No that sounds like the right price for the refurb fee. GS has always done a refurb fee for a missing GC door on the Wii.

No 70% lame!

Elite Pro Members: 50% Extra Credit. Pro Members: 40% Extra Credit. Others: 30% Extra Credit. Get up to 50% extra credit when you trade 6+ games, up to 40% extra credit with 4+ games, or up to 30% extra credit with 2+ games. Not valid toward cash trades. Trades must be in full working condition to receive full value. Defective items may be eligible for trade at a lesser value. Trades subject to manager approval. Cannot be combined with any other offer. See store associate for details. No dealers. Offer valid in the United States and Guam only. Void where prohibited. GameStop, Inc. reserves the right to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the offer for any reason without notice. Offer valid 6/18/18 - 7/8/18.
6 games for 30% credit...yikes

*snap*

Yep, this is going into my cringe compilation.

And believe me, I do have one. I literally took a screenshot to laugh at your message at a later date.
I demand a screenshot of the screenshot to prove that it exists.

It does say extra credit though... I'll withhold my disappointment until tomorrow, when somebody does a test trade to confirm it is in fact not 70%.
It's the exact same wording as every other stacked deal they've done recently. That 50% includes the Elite bonus.

Maybe if there's a Pro or even Prestige Day the first week of July, there might be some hope for a 60% boost, but this isn't the 70% people have been waiting for.

Think this dude is just pretending to be iatcg, coz iatcg is def not rich if he's on Medicaid, was PMed this earlier this year https://slickdeals.net/forums/showpost.php?p=113045059&postcount=45

It will definitely get reset by the employee.

I had similar troubles about a year ago when trading a XBox One. First store had a touch screen thing that I couldn't even remotely read to log into my Live account. Had I known their screen was trash. I could have brought a USB keyboard. He looked for a chat pad but didn't have one. I waited online for like 30 mins to get to this point.

Took it to the GameStop less then a mile away in the mall and they had a functioning system/keyboard. Was able to finish the log in so they could test it. No line and it already had the wifi password entered (guess the same guy owns both stores). The woman doing the trade made sure to show me she was wiping the system when she was done testing.

PS4 takes forever to wipe but you don't have to log into your PSN account. They can just use the guest option to test.

ps4 works similarly. neither company would be the least bit upset if they heard it was inconvenient to sell your old console to someone so they could buy a used one. in fact they would probably do a little fist pump.
Been a year or so since I trade a PS4. Traded maybe 3 to GS and they always just logged in with the guest account option and tossed in a game disc.

Weird they updated the current trade offers page overnight to simplify and combine wording on the existing deals, despite the fact they were supposed to end yesterday and still show as ending 6/17.

@ Geese - Thanks for sharing your experience with trading in your Xbox One. All the more reason for me to keep my VCR model. That, and the fact that my TV only does 1080 resolution. Will buy an external hard drive soon.

Thanks, but I wasn't questioning the defect, I was questioning the amount that would be taken off.
I traded in a ps3 controller that had a wonky analog (which I told them about) and the TIV dropped from $18 to $15. So it seems weird $35 would drop to $20.
1. You did question the defect and the price. You asked if the employee was making it up because she didn't feel like doing a trade.

2. He answered your price question too if you read the entire comment. The system refurbs are hefty. Probably because it takes a lot more to fix a console than it does to run a disc through a automatic 2 minute buffing cycle or fix a far less complex controller.

It is indeed up to 50 percent credit

If you trade 6 games you get and extra 30% boost

Just left the store myself seen and done a transaction

Anyone trade in yet? Looking for a Guinea pig to test the new promo. I would but I’m at work until late.
They also made an explanatory graphic.

948x200_Tiered_Trade618.jpg

Expected, but still lame: several of the games I was holding onto for the promo tanked in value. So, no 70% while still needing to trade in 6 plus a tank = no fun.

Weren’t people saying the actual signs from earlier in the month said 70%? The ones they never put out? Wonder what happened to those.

I saw them. The same weekend of prestige day. Definitely said 70 percent. And nothing about trading in a certain amount of games. I should have taken a picture.

Weren’t people saying the actual signs from earlier in the month said 70%? The ones they never put out? Wonder what happened to those.

I’m convinced the GameStop promo team reads CAG lol
Years ago (roughly 12 years ago when I worked there) they sent out Black Friday ads early only to certain stores to narrow down where they were being leaked from. If the 70% posters did not go out to all stores, they might be trying to narrow down a leak. I know I’ve seen some people say that they asked and managers had no idea, so maybe this is the case again.

Years ago (roughly 12 years ago when I worked there) they sent out Black Friday ads early only to certain stores to narrow down where they were being leaked from. If the 70% posters did not go out to all stores, they might be trying to narrow down a leak. I know I’ve seen some people say that they asked and managers had no idea, so maybe this is the case again.
Well I mean the 70% off thing wouldn’t have been top-secret or anything, right? Seems like a pretty typical deal for this time of year.

I worked at Gamestop about as long ago as you. I remember receiving promotional items for future sales or just to have in case they greenlight a promotion for specific stores or districts. I've never heard of Gamestop getting that crazy about narrowing down leaks though.

It's funny how now that wouldn't even be relevant. They expect BF ad leaks for example. I remember cease and desist orders before from bestbuy and target.

An employee who works there told me when the 70% off signs arrived it was in the computer system to put them up that Friday. But Thursday morning hit and there was company wide notice to not put them up. He thinks it's because prestige day landed on that same Friday.

It will definitely get reset by the employee.
No, never trust GameStop employees to reset your system. EVER. I did not reset my OG Xbox One when I traded it in for a PS4 2 and a half years ago. 2-3 weeks later my Debit Card connected to my Gamertag gets Xbox marketplace charges totaling almost $200. I did not delete ANYTHING from my console, fully expecting the GameStop employee(s) to wipe my console. Now I know that its my fault for not clearing my console myself beforehand or at the very least double-checking during the trade-in to make sure that the employee did in fact remember to wipe my system but the incompetence of GameStop employees can never be underestimated.

I would never trust them either. It's funny how insistent they are about "Don't wipe your system, let us do it!". Last time I took in my PS4 they didn't even plug it in. They just took it.
Yeah the guy who expected me to read out my password in a crowded store so he could log into my XBL account said well you didn't have to wipe it before you brought it in. I was like I don't leave my accounts on things I am getting rid of.

I would never trust them to wipe my console or get my password.

No, never trust GameStop employees to reset your system. EVER. I did not reset my OG Xbox One when I traded it in for a PS4 2 and a half years ago. 2-3 weeks later my Debit Card connected to my Gamertag gets Xbox marketplace charges totaling almost $200. I did not delete ANYTHING from my console, fully expecting the GameStop employee(s) to wipe my console. Now I know that its my fault for not clearing my console myself beforehand or at the very least double-checking during the trade-in to make sure that the employee did in fact remember to wipe my system but the incompetence of GameStop employees can never be underestimated.
I took in a PS3 a couple of weeks ago and literally told the employee that it was a 250 GB model, but luckily for me, the guy must have hearing issues because he took it in as a 320 GB system so I got more than I had expected.

PSA - ou don't have to factory reset or wipe your console before trading it in.  Just remove all accounts from it and you're GTG.  Although, it doesn't hurt to do so if you have time.  I fully factory reset a :ps4: recently and it took HOURS.

PS - I can only speak to :xb1: and :ps4: consoles in this regard, so if any other accepted console is different feel free to chime in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back