GameStop Retro Classics live

Would stick to cartridges if I were any of you. Their NES prices are all over. Some are decent to good, others atrocious. $35 for Mega Man 2 is terrible.

... can you trade in old Dreamcast games? I have a bunch of trash that I wouldn't mind getting a dollar for.

(As if.)

Condition / Complete is very important for a Retro collector.  The fact that Gamestop lists these prices "lower" than Ebay means it has no manual, no box, the catridge condition is "AS-IS", and when you finally get them, you have no idea if the front label will be ripped or in good condition.  Buy at your own risk.

Condition / Complete is very important for a Retro collector.  The fact that Gamestop lists these prices "lower" than Ebay means it has no manual, no box, the catridge condition is "AS-IS", and when you finally get them, you have no idea if the front label will be ripped or in good condition.  Buy at your own risk.

Gamestop is trying to stay relevant in this digital age.

In a way they are coming full circle.  Imagine if they actually kept the boxes and instructions of all the games they have trashed over the years. Imagine if they didn't convert stuff to used and instead sent all the unsold new older games back to the warehouse.  Those fuckers would be making a killing right now.

But yeah, those prices suck especially being cart only.

I remember when I was really into collecting a few years back, when Game Crazy was going out of business...$1 games stacked with buy 1 get 1 and there were actually good titles and even some rare. The good old days! I would never go back knowing what I know now. To much money spent and you'll never make even a quarter of it back when you decide to eventually sell :|

Hey, Brigandine. I used to really like that game for some reason (the reviews weren't kind). Between that and Suikoden 2, I feel like I'm sitting on a mountain of PS1 money. I knew Suikoden 2 had a high sell point. 

Ive often said, this is Gamestop's future. Once The Digital Age hits (and I mean physical media 100% gone) Gamestop will become RetroStop and sell all old videogames of all used / old system. Its the only way they can stay in business.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gamestop is trying to stay relevant in this digital age.

In a way they are coming full circle. Imagine if they actually kept the boxes and instructions of all the games they have trashed over the years. Imagine if they didn't convert stuff to used and instead sent all the unsold new older games back to the warehouse. Those fuckers would be making a killing right now.

But yeah, those prices suck especially being cart only.
Cart only and I would expect lots of carts to have label damage.

Gamestop still hasn't learned. They still junk manuals and artwork and still open games to put on display and sell as new.

I was hoping they would get sued for a lot from that case.

I remember when I was really into collecting a few years back, when Game Crazy was going out of business...$1 games stacked with buy 1 get 1 and there were actually good titles and even some rare. The good old days! I would never go back knowing what I know now. To much money spent and you'll never make even a quarter of it back when you decide to eventually sell :|
You must not have much gaming knowledge.

I can't believe how whiney everyone is.  Oh no!  Gamestop is selling retro games at prices you can't afford or are to disgusted to pay?  Get over it - thats a nice service and I'm sure they will have no problem finding people to buy them.  People who don't have all day to hunt ebay for the lowest possible price and save $3.  

So much hate for no good reason.  You have a better idea for a retro game store option?  Go open one and see how well you do at rock bottom prices.  I say get over it.

I knew their prices were going to be high but my local mom & pop stores prices are generally just as bad... regardless of the condition and whether or not a game is complete, they'll take the highest eBay price and add 20% to it. At least at GS, I can get deals on current and prior gen titles. I see some.. ok prices on GS. 

With that said, what's the point of this if they have no stock? 99% of the games are OoS. 

Prices aren't that high. CAG16 bring conkers bad fur day cart only to $67 and its free shipping.

That is cheaper then the snipers have won auctions in the last few months on ebay by a good %

OOS on CBFD

problem is they have very little stock of everything and a lot of people looking. I expect them to sell out of stock real fast.

Someone who has coupons for B2G1 and can use it online for these retro games can get a really good deal.

went ahead and ordered a super metroid for 37.xx after cag16 and PUR
Perfect example of cheaper then ebay.

I actually could have had two copies mint labels of super metroid for $30 each last month from a local flea market. I still passed thinking its was still too expensive. Thinking back I probably should have got at least one copy.

If a b2g1 birthday coupon works then you can get a score.

...theres a used game store i go to in the mall that has pretty much everything.  sometimes their prices are a bit high but god damn does gamestop make them look cheap by comparison.  unless gamestop is actively replacing batteries and properly cleaning these games, then theres really no point in buying a good chunk of these.

Some of the more decent prices are getting jacked up right in front of my face. Is as if they have a team of workers browsing ebay and "adjusting" the prices accordingly. Smh gamestop.

When you get it post the condition if you don't mind. I've been trying to get that for a decent price. My local retro shop is way over priced, and Ebay seems to go for $60-$70 when ever I look. I don't care if cartridge games are complete, as long as the label is nice and it's not written all over with a sharpie.

This is a good price? I bought this off ebay only two years ago and paid $24 which I thought was a fair price at the time. What the fuck is going on with super nintendo games?

Side note, I just found out a week ago that my friend has Hagane and bought it off ebay for $60 around 8 years ago. I'm jealous as fuck.

This is a good price? I bought this off ebay only two years ago and paid $24 which I thought was a fair price at the time. What the fuck is going on with super nintendo games?

Side note, I just found out a week ago that my friend has Hagane and bought it off ebay for $60 around 8 years ago. I'm jealous as fuck.
People like me prefer SNES to N64. IDK the numbers, but from experience there is a fraction of SNES stuff out there compared to N64 or NES.

People like me prefer SNES to N64. IDK the numbers, but from experience there is a fraction of SNES stuff out there compared to N64 or NES.
Right, but did people like you not exist 2 years ago. I'm looking at prices of stuff I bought from ebay two summers ago and almost everything has gone up a lot. Perfect example is I bought an excellent condition EVO for $120 when ebay sent me some percentage off coupon. I think I paid 108 or something, but still it was $120 free shipping. Now It looks like that's almost doubled. I knew I should have bit on Wild Guns when it was around $160.

I grabbed a copy of CV4 for roughly $38 shipped after discounts. An okay price, better than most B&M retro-game stores.

Some of these prices are actually pretty decent, especially for PS1/Dreamcast games.  I'll probably end up holding off for now though until we get feedback from some CAG's on their orders.  I'm not taking the risk of paying near Ebay prices for loose discs.

And would some kind soul please inform us if the buy 2 get 1 coupon works with an online purchase?  Would love to pay 144 bucks for Conker, Suikoden II, and Brigandine.  That would equal out to 48 bucks a game....  And even if they're loose and funky looking, I would be cool with that.

Man those prices, it almost makes Nintendo's Virtual Console stuff seem reasonable.

It greatly sickens me that GameStop gutted FuncoLand, removed/destroyed/stopped selling all their old games, only to now come back to the biggest reason we loved Funcoland while making a pathetic "retro" offering absurdly priced.

While I KNOW IT ISN'T THE SAME, there still is the Virtual Console on Nintendo's end and PS1/PS2 classics on Sony's platforms.

Like Namco Museum 3 is $4.99, while on PSN it is $5.99.  Suikoden II is $89.99, while $9.99 on PSN.

While I don't do eBay, makes me kind of regret not getting some stuff on Amazon while I could before this because this is just going to make things worse.

At least there I get more of a guarantee when it comes to manuals.  Might as well start hitting up pawnshops and used DVD/CD/etc stores again as well...

Cart only and I would expect lots of carts to have label damage.

Gamestop still hasn't learned. They still junk manuals and artwork and still open games to put on display and sell as new.

I was hoping they would get sued for a lot from that case.
Supposedly according to Birmingham area keyholders that posted on Gamestop's sub-Reddit, the stores aren't supposed to take games with label damage.

Don't know how well stores are sticking to that until we see the condition of games that are being sent out by GameStop.

I knew their prices were going to be high but my local mom & pop stores prices are generally just as bad... regardless of the condition and whether or not a game is complete, they'll take the highest eBay price and add 20% to it. At least at GS, I can get deals on current and prior gen titles. I see some.. ok prices on GS.

With that said, what's the point of this if they have no stock? 99% of the games are OoS.
GS is only taking in games in 2 cities right now. If the program is "successful" they are supposed to offer trades nationwide starting in the fall, but will only sell the games online no matter what after they are sent to the GS refurb factory in Texas.

Super Metroid is an $60-80 cart now, even after it's re-releases on Wii and Wii U VC's. Earthbound is staying steady at $160-$180 vs. the $200 plus it used to go for.

They can fuck right off with those Dreamcast prices. Unless you care for collector purposes, you're better off just burning Power Stone 2 and MvC 2

I wonder if this will convince companies like Square-Enix, Capcom, Atlus, Namco, Konami, etc to put more of their classic games on Virtual Console / PSN / PC and do it faster.

Reminds me of the "war on used games" companies were at with GameStop when companies were doing DLC Online Pass type stuff to make people buy new while discouraging people from buying used.

Now companies have the perfect setup to offer a much more affordable alternative and profit off of this "retro" market.

GS is only taking in games in 2 cities right now. If the program is "successful" they are supposed to offer trades nationwide starting in the fall, but will only sell the games online no matter what after they are sent to the GS refurb factory in Texas.
I see... that's bad news. Those refurb factories are going to destroy thousands of discs.

I remember during the GC and PS2 clearances, like 90% of the games I purchased online (all refurbed) did not work. Hell, more than half of them came with actual, physical damage (centers or edges were cracked or the data side of the disc was damaged).

I see... that's bad news. Those refurb factories are going to destroy thousands of discs.

I remember during the GC and PS2 clearances, like 90% of the games I purchased online (all refurbed) did not work. Hell, more than half of them came with actual, physical damage (centers or edges were cracked or the data side of the disc was damaged).
Idk what they're doing with Wii U games but they're ruining games. I'd say only 20% of the Wii U games i got online from them have worked.

bread's done
Back