GameStop Retro Classics live

Meh, this is unsurprising, the hipsters, hoarders, resellers, and Mom & Pop Game Store owners have already done enough to kill the retro gaming hobby that used to be fun. Now it's all about greed and money, so this is just pissing on the fire. The best you can hope for is that the bubble bursts soon and prices drop back down to reality.

why aren't they selling xbox original games?

i also wonder why they sold PS2 games for years yet stopped selling xbox original games many years ago, i would consider buying some xbox games

Even though I buy retro games and have probably overpaid for games from a local shop, online shop or retro convention I just can't get that up in arms about Gamestop getting in on this. I barely shop there anyway and I doubt most of the games I'd want are in stock anyway.

They probably have thousands of old school games sitting in a warehouse somewhere just WAITING for a retro revival. It happens every decade, where people NEED the classic games. I already own over 3,200 games so I am good on this, as they will all most likely be cart only and disc only, but good for those who have been wanting this to happen. If it happened in stores, i'd be more interested as I could then see the game for myself.

Edit: cheaper than ebay? not even close, Mike tysons punch out goes for roughly $20-25 on ebay.. it's $35 on Gamestop. Highway robbery. Be sure, when comparing to ebay, that you go buy a price on a game that has actual bids on it and not by what people WANT for it. What they WANT and what they can actually GET are 2 different things.

So check ebay before you buy ANYTHING on here. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting... I do need another SNES controller though... I'll probably buy one here or on Ebay... probably Ebay since I can see what I'm actually getting :whistle2:D

By the way, is there going to be a mandatory day 1 patch to play say a SNES or N64 game? Maybe you'll have to buy a season pass or additional DLC to get the most of these old games :whee:

Love old-school games :D/

I think this may be good for those that normally get gift cards from gamestop, it may drive the prices down on ebay if people start buying on gamestop.

hmmm makes me wonder if GS got some of the retro games practically for free. I witnessed 2 cases this year. A lady tried to trade-in a Gamecube system with 10+ games (mostly 1st party titles), but the employee said they can't take them as trade-in but they can accept them as donation. Guess what? The lady actually donated to them. Another incident, a guy walked in with a bag of PS2 titles wanted to trade them for store credit. Employee told him "No trade-in for cash/store credit, but we accept them as donation". I stepped in and asked if I can check out his games out. Employee told me to conduct the tranasction outside of the store and told me not to come inside lol. I was able to grab two games (FFXII and Monster Rancher 3) for $20 and told him to trade the rest at this mom and pop's retro video game store.

hmmm makes me wonder if GS got some of the retro games practically for free. I witnessed 2 cases this year. A lady tried to trade-in a Gamecube system with 10+ games (mostly 1st party titles), but the employee said they can't take them as trade-in but they can accept them as donation. Guess what? The lady actually donated to them. Another incident, a guy walked in with a bag of PS2 titles wanted to trade them for store credit. Employee told him "No trade-in for cash/store credit, but we accept them as donation". I stepped in and asked if I can check out his games out. Employee told me to conduct the tranasction outside of the store and told me not to come inside lol. I was able to grab two games (FFXII and Monster Rancher 3) for $20 and told him to trade the rest at this mom and pop's retro video game store.
Same experience with me sort of. A mother was getting rid of her kid's old pink ds lite, ds games and gameboy advance games. The GS employee said "we don't take in these gameboy advance games anymore, but I can trash them for you." The mother said "okay." I was at the other register and quickly chimed in "I'd buy them." The nice lady just said to take them. I tried to give her $5 (all the cash I had in my wallet at the time) but she kept refusing. There were some good games in there too like Mario Kart Super Circuit, which was literally the only Mario Kart game that I didn't own yet.

I also got Sega Genesis games and a complete Mario Paint with the mouse and mousepad with similar stories. This was many years back when GS/EB was still taking them in for trades, but only offering a few cents for them. After the customers refuse and walk away from the register, I usually pull cash out of my wallet and ask if they'd still like to sell the games.

I did the same thing when a gamestop employee offered a guy .01 cent for his xbox 360 HDDVD adapter. "That's what the computer is telling me. One cent." It took me half a second to say "I'll give you five bucks for it." I probably still overpaid. :)

When they first proposed returning to retro sales I remember a GS doc saying harder to find retro games would be available to power up customers.  I imagine that concept went by the wayside.

Part that sucks is my local mom and pop store sells NES, SNES, etc games for ebay prices but always priced Saturn and Dreamcast on outdated GS price guides.  Was picking up games for a third or half of Ebay prices, that's probably going to stop.

The scalpers and people who only buy games because "It looks good on my shelf" have finished with the 8 bit era and are now targeting the SNES and are bleeding into N64. Gamecube will probably follow soon
That's how most collectors are, unfortunately. They barely play these great games. I'm not even bothering with SNES games because the prices are so high from people in their mid-thirties wanting to relive their childhoods. I still have the family SNES (a prize my dad won), but Super Mario World has gone missing. Some of the prices have gone down because no we're moving into the N64 era. Gamecube games have already spiked too.

N64 and Gamecube games are going up because people whose childhood involved these systems are getting older and are finishing with school/getting FT jobs (See, e.g., me). I had to pay $22 as a "good deal" to get MK 64. I always wanted it as a kid, but my parents could never really afford top-shelf N64 games. In fact we were blessed to have one at all. We only got it because my dad won it as a prize and we got it as our Christmas gift for 1997 (my dad's hobby is entering sweepstakes). I still remember the day my dad surprised us with Super Smash Bros and a second controller a couple of years later. We were so psyched.

This makes me so upset. I collect, and I fund my collection by selling my doubles. I sell them for reasonable prices usually, unless I have a specific goal in mind anyway.

Oh well. I'm hoping the hype passes and I'll just buy them all in 10 years when nobody is interested anymore.

They can fuck right off with those Dreamcast prices. Unless you care for collector purposes, you're better off just burning Power Stone 2 and MvC 2
I still have my copies of MvC2, Tech Romancer, and SF III Double Impact I got from their Dremcast fire sale for next to nothing. These prices are just hilariously bad.

The prices for NES/SNES shit alone is ridiculous. I'm not paying that much for anything that can fit on an SD card and run on a calculator.

Yea.. I am a collector. I have 3,200+ games and I'll admit I don't play most. I HAVE played most however but not actively. RPGs are my favorite so I got tons of those. But hey we all need a hobby and mine is gathering games. But I don't buy games to flip them nor do I buy games just to keep them sealed as I do play them.

I have no intention of ever selling them so I could care less about factory sealed stuff but it is insane. I started collecting cuz I worked at a Game Crazy store for 5 years, but I also kept all my games as a kid and I own over 25 consoles (if you count alt versions of gba, DS, gameboy etc..etc...)

While the prices on Gamestop site are OK, many are way off so please compare it to ebay first since on ebay you can see what you're gonna get and I've already seen a bunch that are $15-20 more on Gamestop website than on ebay. Go by what a people are BIDDING on ebay and not what they are ASKING.

If some guy wants $100 for the original smb, he is not getting it. Haha So go by auctions with actual bids to get an idea for how much the game goes for before shelling out $35 for mike Tyson's punch out while ebay has it for $20-25 and you can see it's condition.

I'm excited to see this grow. Prices seem reasonable, no?
For some games. Problem with disk-based games is you don't know if the cases/artwork/manual are included. For cart-based games, I just assume they're cart-only when pricing.

For example, Pokemon Stadium for N64 after the PUR, CAG16, 2.5% back with Ebates ($11.80), and accounting for sales tax is still a little better than what it's going for on eBay (about $14).

why aren't they selling xbox original games?

i also wonder why they sold PS2 games for years yet stopped selling xbox original games many years ago, i would consider buying some xbox games
Because MS stopped supporting the OG Xbox in 06 after the 360's launch while the PS2 was supported with new games through 2013.

Gambled and went ahead and purchased a bunch of PS1 rpgs (after dealing with CSRs for 2+ hours), ended up losing 2 or 3 of the rpgs that were in my cart because it took so long, but I'll report back here how they come in when they get here.

It sort of sucks because it legitimatizes the inflated Ebay prices, but hopefully this is like a kid's parents jumping in on the latest fad and making it uncool, because the retro market has gone insane in the past few years.(some of the prices on there are actually decent, most are atrocious).
Agreed, $130 for a 3DO is bullshit. If you're buying a system just to show it off and not to use I want to punch you in the face.

So is $250 for a Jaguar and $25 for Kasumi Ninja.

What about the digitized Zelda on Philips CD-i. That's outrageously priced but at least it's rare. I so want that game and patched so that when I strike with the sword the sound doesn't stop.

Anyway, hearing about this I'm out. Some SNES games are NOT worth $20-30. I like Knights Of the Round but is it worth $20 or more or even $10 or more? I would debate that and King Of the Dragons. Many of those games were made for the SNES.

edit: Knight, does Ku-On cost out the nose still? What about Haunting Ground? Koudelka?

That beckons the question why we can't get any of these titles digitally. People would pay a good bit for all of these. Hopefully this will change with PS Now.

edit: Knight, does Ku-On cost out the nose still? What about Haunting Ground? Koudelka?
I've seen Kodelka complete for $40 several places, Haunting Ground for $80-120 though the shop with the high number overcharges for everything.

Ku-on I thought was around $35 but I haven't seen that in a good while.

I belong to the group that collects and basically never plays any (but really wants to). 

Prices go up and down, changes depending on seasons, holidays, even what is popular now. I sold my PS2 MvC2 for $150 years ago, now I can replace it for $50-$60. Sold SMT:N with guide for $200, a few months back I saw (and sadly missed) a set sold on ebay for $30!!!

Fews years back, before the soul games, much fewer people know/care about FromSoftware. Back then, Kings' Field were still selling for mid $20-$30, but no one cared about Shadow Towers. I brought mine off amazon 3rd party seller for $10 shipped and that is NEW and SEALED. A day or two ago, I watched a used copy sold for $60+. I should have brought more sealed copies...so I can sell that now and afford to by a used one to play and keep mine sealed.

i was gonna mock cannon spike for dreamcast being $80 on Gamestops site.. then is aw it's currently going for $100 on ebay, and i mean an auction has a bidder for $100. So yea not bad. Glad I got my cannonspike ages ago for like $15 cuz i worked at a Game Crazy and we didn't price gouge games based on their ebay prices... in retrospect.. that's probably why Game Crazy went bankrupt, 

Dreamcast GD Roms were fickle when the system was still current, curious how well they'll take a GS resurfacing....

For anyone bitching about Gamestop's high prices, watch this. He brings up good points and you'll realize Gamestop's prices on these retro game are competitively priced

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itSYYHHJmbI

No that was employees getting it for themselves. This inventory is just from trades in NYC & Birmingham plus extra inventory from GS acquisitions like Rhino Games, etc.

Gamestop is trying to stay relevant in this digital age.

In a way they are coming full circle. Imagine if they actually kept the boxes and instructions of all the games they have trashed over the years. Imagine if they didn't convert stuff to used and instead sent all the unsold new older games back to the warehouse. Those fuckers would be making a killing right now.

But yeah, those prices suck especially being cart only.
That would make Gamestop an actual pawn shop, not a fake one that they just have the license for which affords them certain luxuries. Besides, it would be a danger to gamers and people in general if Gamestop was any more successful than they actually are right now. They deserve to go under. This latest move just reeks of desperation. Kind of like RadioShack signing a deal with the cable companies to keep them afloat. Didn't work. Let's hope this fails, too.

That would make Gamestop an actual pawn shop, not a fake one that they just have the license for which affords them certain luxuries. Besides, it would be a danger to gamers and people in general if Gamestop was any more successful than they actually are right now. They deserve to go under. This latest move just reeks of desperation. Kind of like RadioShack signing a deal with the cable companies to keep them afloat. Didn't work. Let's hope this fails, too.
Haters like you will continue to have to hate because I don't think Gamestop is going anywhere anytime soon. Companies constantly made deals with Gamestop whether it's exclusive DLC for pre-orders, Collectors Editions exclusive to them, or things like the Ness and Shulk Amiibos. If gamestop were to go away, there would be no major market share on the industry and no company would be forced to lower their prices to stay competitive. The game market would be anarchy.

Haters like you will continue to have to hate because I don't think Gamestop is going anywhere anytime soon. Companies constantly made deals with Gamestop whether it's exclusive DLC for pre-orders, Collectors Editions exclusive to them, or things like the Ness and Shulk Amiibos. If gamestop were to go away, there would be no major market share on the industry and no company would be forced to lower their prices to stay competitive. The game market would be anarchy.
the only problem i have with gamestop, is their bs policy/ pratice on selling open games as new, when the $5 kongregate coupon was active, i was trying to buy gran turismo 6 new, and i had to go to 3 gamestop stores, and none of them had new sealed copies of the game, but only opened new copies. when i question about getting a sealed copy, they insist opened copies are the same as new, and there is no difference. so i gave up , ended up not using the $5 kongrea coupon i have.

For anyone bitching about Gamestop's high prices, watch this. He brings up good points and you'll realize Gamestop's prices on these retro game are competitively priced
Oh shit, some guy made a Youtube video, that totally validates everything.

Better buy these games now, even though there are thousands of small video game retailers that have been selling retro games for decades that regularly go out of business because idiots like you love to shop at Gamestop where they don't guarantee a game's condition and offer you almost nothing in trade-in prices.

Let's list some companies that are better than Gamestop when it comes to product descriptions and customer service: Amazon.com, Best Buy, Target, Wal-Mart, Goodwill, Buy.com, Toys R' Us, Glyde, and eBay. You know, places that will stay competitively priced with each other if Gamestop files for bankruptcy again? But hey, maybe all of the mass retailers around you open up new games, gut them, and mark them as new with a higher price tag, too.

Such ignorance. Much blind fanboy. Waw.

Haters like you will continue to have to hate because I don't think Gamestop is going anywhere anytime soon.
We'll see about that. If you actually think exclusive DLC, or even DLC at all, exclusive pre-orders, and exclusive merchandise like Amiibos is a good thing, then you're an even worse poster than I thought and you and Gamestop go hand in hand regarding the problems with gaming. And there is already no major market share on the industry. Everyone does whatever the hell they want. eBay won't get any shittier if Gamestop goes away, nor will they get any better. Wal-Mart will continue to have no deals on video games, and Target will continue to just have clearances. Best Buy will just keep doing what they're doing.

We'll see about that. If you actually think exclusive DLC, or even DLC at all, exclusive pre-orders, and exclusive merchandise like Amiibos is a good thing, then you're an even worse poster than I thought and you and Gamestop go hand in hand regarding the problems with gaming. And there is already no major market share on the industry. Everyone does whatever the hell they want. eBay won't get any shittier if Gamestop goes away, nor will they get any better. Wal-Mart will continue to have no deals on video games, and Target will continue to just have clearances. Best Buy will just keep doing what they're doing.
I'm just saying that if companies like Nintendo make partnerships with Gamestop for exclusive Amiibos or whatever, it's hard to imagine that they will be going anywhere anytime soon. Red Dualshock 4 is supposed to be Gamestop exclusive, so Sony partners with them. Destiny: The Taken King Collectors Edition is Gamestop exclusive, so Activision partners with Gamestop. And so on and so forth. If Gamestop was a failing company or the dreaded plague you all seem to think it is, why do so many game companies work with them?

I'm just saying that if companies like Nintendo make partnerships with Gamestop for exclusive Amiibos or whatever, it's hard to imagine that they will be going anywhere anytime soon. Red Dualshock 4 is supposed to be Gamestop exclusive, so Sony partners with them. Destiny: The Taken King Collectors Edition is Gamestop exclusive, so Activision partners with Gamestop. And so on and so forth. If Gamestop was a failing company or the dreaded plague you all seem to think it is, why do so many game companies work with them?
It amazes me when people say that GS will die out within the next few years and that they're doing such and such in a desperate attempt to stay relevant in a digitizing world. I remember a year or two ago when they closed a few stores and people were hailing it as the beginning of the end, when really they were closing stores in isolated locations.

It amazes me when people say that GS will die out within the next few years and that they're doing such and such in a desperate attempt to stay relevant in a digitizing world. I remember a year or two ago when they closed a few stores and people were hailing it as the beginning of the end, when really they were closing stores in isolated locations.
Right. It was people in Buttfuck, Mississippi because everyone in places like that are too busy fucking their sister or growing corn or some shit to play games and it was a dead market. Here is a map of my local Gamestop locations (as I live in a rather populated area)

[attachment=15286:Gamestop map.PNG]

So yeah. Gamestop isn't going anywhere

Right. It was people in Buttfuck, Mississippi because everyone in places like that are too busy fucking their sister or growing corn or some shit to play games and it was a dead market. Here is a map of my local Gamestop locations (as I live in a rather populated area)

attachicon.gif
Gamestop map.PNG

So first you defend Gamestop as if it fathered your children, then you insult a whole state. I am now certain that you're a grade schooler who's being paid mimimum wage to shill for Gamestop. Good on you. Gamestop, being run by idiots, mechandise being bought by idiots, and having idiots working for them*.

*sasuke-kun and invisiwhatever notwithstanding.

Seems this thread has turned into a flame war about Gamestop. As someone who used to work for the company, I will tell you that I am not the biggest fan. I simply choose to not shop at Gamestop unless I need to, which isn't often. I last purchased an MKX fight pad at Gamestop because it was either them or Amazon and I didn't want to wait for shipping. I think the way they are handling selling older retro titles has been fine, the prices aren't insane compared to what these games usually go for online, but they aren't "deals" either. Gamestop is the worldwide leader when it comes to video game retail and they certainly aren't going anywhere, but my advice to those of you who hate the company. Don't shop at Gamestop and go elsewhere! No one is forcing you to shop in these stores or trade in your games to them.

The general population still associates Games ---> Gamestop. Parents and kids are in there all the time, and usually its not until teenage/young adult years that people make the switch to Amazon/Best Buy/being thriftier in general. A good friend of mine just buys a game when he gets the time to buy it, doesn't matter how or where, just when it's convenient for him. He plays tons of games too, at least 8-12 or so per year.

And honestly, if it wasn't for gutting the games, I'd have no problem with GS (and if they were more competitive pricing wise). They give fair money for trades these days- some downright crazy amounts. Look up how much Portal 2 is going for and look up a new copy on Amazon. It's like nobody told these people.

Gamestop isn't that bad guys lol. Sure they do some questionable things but gamestop also has good things about it. For starters their return policy is perfect for buying single player games that don't have much length, beat them within a week and then you can return it lol. During the holidays it's even better ^_^

So has it been confirmed if/when/where Game$top will be taking these games for trade in?

With the Rare Replay bringing the Conker 64 version, I've really no need for my physical copy. Still hanging onto my Conker Xbox version, though.

67nihFm.jpg

So has it been confirmed if/when/where Game$top will be taking these games for trade in?

With the Rare Replay bringing the Conker 64 version, I've really no need for my physical copy. Still hanging onto my Conker Xbox version, though.
From what I understand it's national now. You should be able to trade Conker in at any Gamestop store.

bread's done
Back