GameStop Retro Classics live

Seems this thread has turned into a flame war about Gamestop. As someone who used to work for the company, I will tell you that I am not the biggest fan. I simply choose to not shop at Gamestop unless I need to, which isn't often. I last purchased an MKX fight pad at Gamestop because it was either them or Amazon and I didn't want to wait for shipping. I think the way they are handling selling older retro titles has been fine, the prices aren't insane compared to what these games usually go for online, but they aren't "deals" either. Gamestop is the worldwide leader when it comes to video game retail and they certainly aren't going anywhere, but my advice to those of you who hate the company. Don't shop at Gamestop and go elsewhere! No one is forcing you to shop in these stores or trade in your games to them.
Right. I actually like Gamestop. Disc Replay is my store of choice because of their awesome prices and great staff (at my location at least), but if they dont have what Im looking for, Gamestop will always be my next choice. Best Buy has burned me in the past, I dont like waiting for shipping, so I usually pass on Amazon unless they have a killer deal. And I just dont fuck with TRU or Target for my gaming needs.

I have always like GS but since they don't do birthday coupons anymore, me don't like them anymore. I guess CAGERS, including myself, were abusing the shit out of thier birthday coupon lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Right. I actually like Gamestop. Disc Replay is my store of choice because of their awesome prices and great staff (at my location at least), but if they dont have what Im looking for, Gamestop will always be my next choice. Best Buy has burned me in the past, I dont like waiting for shipping, so I usually pass on Amazon unless they have a killer deal. And I just dont fuck with TRU or Target for my gaming needs.

I like Disc Replay for the knowledgeable/decent staff and fact they don't trash products that are traded in. Their prices seem to have skyrocketed in the past year or so though.

And my main complaint about Gamestop can be summed up by this story.

Last Sunday I noticed a nearby city had a GS with Lufia DS for $6.99. I collect DS games and have a friend who lived nearby. I put in a hold request so he wouldn't have to search for the game and it came back denied. "Eh maybe it's in that mess of yellow envelopes I thought and they are way too busy". He headed there anyway and the game was in the locked case and the employee complained openly that they had nothing to do because it was a beautiful Sunday and dead in there. Love ya GS.

Last Sunday I noticed a nearby city had a GS with Lufia DS for $6.99. I collect DS games and have a friend who lived nearby. I put in a hold request so he wouldn't have to search for the game and it came back denied. "Eh maybe it's in that mess of yellow envelopes I thought and they are way too busy". He headed there anyway and the game was in the locked case and the employee complained openly that they had nothing to do because it was a beautiful Sunday and dead in there. Love ya GS.
I'm trying my best to understand this story, but I just don't get it.

The point being a GS employee was too lazy to bother with their job. Another fun one!

Found four hard to find DS games at a nearby store at decent prices. Ask my GS if they can be shipped to my store, "yes, but check with their manager". Call that store and find they are only willing to ship to another store over $20. OK, amazingly find another game that pushes it over $20. Happily go to my store and mention they will ship, the store manager is there and perks up. Says there is no GS guideline saying a set price must be meet and wants to know the "manager" I talked to (honestly no clue.)

My GameStop tragedy is that they received 2 copies of a limited edition, pre-order only game... and gutted one of the copies that someone had on reserve as a pre-order with a paid deposit. I'm just glad I got there before the other guy did so that I got the sealed one.

I actually used to work for Disc Replay. I used to think they also had very good prices, but last time I was in the store I used to work at the prices seemed to be a lot higher than I remember them being. Games were still cheaper than they are at Gamestop, but GCU has really ruined me when it usually is about $5 more for a new copy of some games compared to the Disc Replay price which is usually around $45-$50 for newer releases.

Life is such a struggle :(

I actually used to work for Disc Replay. I used to think they also had very good prices, but last time I was in the store I used to work at the prices seemed to be a lot higher than I remember them being. Games were still cheaper than they are at Gamestop, but GCU has really ruined me when it usually is about $5 more for a new copy of some games compared to the Disc Replay price which is usually around $45-$50 for newer releases.
Believe it or not, their prices still trump your golden child, Best Buy. The last 2 games I bought from them were Titanfall (XB1) and Sunset Overdrive for $11.99 and $16.99 respectively. Titanfall with GCU is still $24 and Sunset is $32. How exactly are their prices too high compared to Best Buy?

Other honorable mentions from DR are Ghost Recon: Future Soldier ($1.99), Shulk Amiibo ($24.99), Captain Falcon Amiibo ($22.99) and Perfect Dark Zero ($1.99). Direct me to Best Buy links that can get me those games/accessories for that cheap.

We had a Disc Replay in my town that used to be great and as they grew, their prices (and service) when downhill quickly. I've said this before but GS's prices might be bad but at least, with GS, you can make due thanks to their coupons/B2G1Fs.

We had a Disc Replay in my town that used to be great and as they grew, their prices (and service) when downhill quickly. I've said this before but GS's prices might be bad but at least, with GS, you can make due thanks to their coupons/B2G1Fs.

I would still consider going there if it wasn't for the stoners (owner's son and his friends) that replaced the competent employees.

Plus last Time I was at Disc Replay they exchanged a non-working disc for me and I didn't even have a reciept. Also, I saw that they had a boxed copy of Donley Kong Country for the SNES for $19.99

so yeeeeaaah. Best Buy, who denied me every single price match I've ever tried, is the clear winner in the games department...

Believe it or not, their prices still trump your golden child, Best Buy. The last 2 games I bought from them were Titanfall (XB1) and Sunset Overdrive for $11.99 and $16.99 respectively. Titanfall with GCU is still $24 and Sunset is $32. How exactly are their prices too high compared to Best Buy?

Other honorable mentions from DR are Ghost Recon: Future Soldier ($1.99), Shulk Amiibo ($24.99), Captain Falcon Amiibo ($22.99) and Perfect Dark Zero ($1.99). Direct me to Best Buy links that can get me those games/accessories for that cheap.

Plus last Time I was at Disc Replay they exchanged a non-working disc for me and I didn't even have a reciept. Also, I saw that they had a boxed copy of Donley Kong Country for the SNES for $19.99

so yeeeeaaah. Best Buy, who denied me every single price match I've ever tried, is the clear winner in the games department...
Maybe you just have the bestest Disc Replay ever where you live. Mine has about 4 N64 games, and they're all garbage. Their other retro games are all in a small case to the side, mostly stacked in a way that makes them an eyesore of sorts. I miss Game XChange here, where the majority of shelf space was for older games, and they had plenty to go around.

As for those game examples, they're also not typical. Titanfall, I picked that up for $10 at Family Video FOREVER ago. It's also been $11.99 new at Best Buy, after GCU. Sunset Overdrive's been $15.99, post-GCU, for a new copy. The other stuff's super-old fluff games that don't draw much attention.

Given that Best Buy and GameStop do B2G1 deals a few times/year (and actually have sale prices), while Disc Replay only offer B5G1 as a rolling deal, I don't think it's even close. I go into Disc Replay every month or two, just to check the N64 stock, and generally look at prices. I think the only thing I've ever bought from there was a GBA SP charger for, like, $8.

As for those game examples, they're also not typical. Titanfall, I picked that up for $10 at Family Video FOREVER ago. It's also been $11.99 new at Best Buy, after GCU. Sunset Overdrive's been $15.99, post-GCU, for a new copy. The other stuff's super-old fluff games that don't draw much attention.
Huh. No kidding...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/titanfall-xbox-one/9441146.p?id=1219016244517&skuId=9441146&st=9441146&lp=1&cp=1

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sunset-overdrive-xbox-one/9812053.p?id=1219041460602&skuId=9812053

Yes, because, as I stated, SALE PRICES. I said it has been, not that it is.
Shit brah. I'm gonna go return these and I'll swing by to borrow your time machine when these were on sale. Past sales have nothing to do with current pricing. I wouldn't consider rare Amiibos "super-old fluff" either

Another thing people forget to take into account is that you have to pay $30 for the GCU, so it's going to take a few major purchases to make up the cost of the membership before you really start saving anything

I don't think you quite understood my original post. I am talking about new releases. I'm sure games like Batman Arkham Knight are going for around $50 used at Disc Replay. For older games Disc Replay will obviously have a better price than a new game at Best Buy with GCU and Sunset was on sale for $25 pretty recently and with GCU that bring is fairly close to the $16.99 you paid, but for a new copy of the game.

Also buying any Amiibo for more than retail price isn't what I would consider a deal even if it's "rare".

Nothing against Disc Replay, they do have good prices. I just prefer to buy my games new if I can and I have no problems paying a few extra bucks for a new copy over a used one.

It ain't shit if you actually buy games
True. Personally, I only buy 2 or 3 new games per year and the rest I get when they drop in price. For instance, in 2015, I only bought Splatoon new, so if I had GCU, I would still need to buy $24 worth of discounts before I get my money's worth. Everyone dismissed deals because "It can be had for x.xx cheaper with GCU", but it's just not a service for everyone

True. Personally, I only buy 2 or 3 new games per year and the rest I get when they drop in price. For instance, in 2015, I only bought Splatoon new, so if I had GCU, I would still need to buy $24 worth of discounts before I get my money's worth. Everyone dismissed deals because "It can be had for x.xx cheaper with GCU", but it's just not a service for everyone
I mean, I'm somewhat similar. All I've bought in 2015 is Dying Light. However, in 2014, I got an Xbox One and a Wii U. I paid $60 for GCU at the time, and I've probably saved more than twice that on games. I've only purchased one game so far this year, but there's a boatload of them on the horizon I will be considering. Also, Splatoon is $65 here, after tax. With GCU, it's $52. So that's $13 in savings, meaning I'm only $17 from making that money back. Oh, and you get a B2G1 coupon with a new GCU membership, which can be a savings of $30-40 right away (assuming they still give out the new subscriber stuff with the cheaper discount). Oh, and you get double rewards points on gaming stuff, so you earn certs faster. You can basically pay for a 2-year membership with 3 purchases over that 2-year span.

I mean, I'm somewhat similar. All I've bought in 2015 is Dying Light. However, in 2014, I got an Xbox One and a Wii U. I paid $60 for GCU at the time, and I've probably saved more than twice that on games. I've only purchased one game so far this year, but there's a boatload of them on the horizon I will be considering. Also, Splatoon is $65 here, after tax. With GCU, it's $52. So that's $13 in savings, meaning I'm only $17 from making that money back. Oh, and you get a B2G1 coupon with a new GCU membership, which can be a savings of $30-40 right away (assuming they still give out the new subscriber stuff with the cheaper discount). Oh, and you get double rewards points on gaming stuff, so you earn certs faster. You can basically pay for a 2-year membership with 3 purchases over that 2-year span.
I am on the opposite side of this spectrum. I probably purchase around 30 or more new games a year and GCU has saved me a ton of money since joining last October. I usually buy games new at Best Buy because of GCU and promos like the pre-order and get $10 back in RZ credit deal. I've definitely gotten more than my moneys worth out of GCU at this point. Even if you aren't a crazy person like me and buy a ton of games new each year, like you said buying just 2 or 3 each year the GCU pays itself off. $30 for 2 years GCU is really a no brainer for anyone who plans on buying games new at all over the course of the next two years and I am willing to bet most gamers buy at least a couple of new titles each year.

I hope they start their trade in program (in-store) soon for these ''retro classics'' so I can dump a bunch of sports games I have laying around.

Shit brah. I'm gonna go return these and I'll swing by to borrow your time machine when these were on sale. Past sales have nothing to do with current pricing. I wouldn't consider rare Amiibos "super-old fluff" either

Another thing people forget to take into account is that you have to pay $30 for the GCU, so it's going to take a few major purchases to make up the cost of the membership before you really start saving anything
If you follow this site regularly you won't need a time machine as the Best Buy sales are usually posted, and usually last for a little while. Titanfall was actually $7.99 once at BB before GCU, and Sunset Overdrive has been $19.99 several times before.

You know, I remember a time when Gamestop couldn't give away their NES, SNES and Genesis games, walking into my store in 2004 and listening as someone scoffed that anyone would ask $5 for a single Nintendo cartridge.  I guess times have changed.  

11143111_1096599807021202_6490854448451904404_o_zpskryr1kbh.jpg

When Gamestop did their massive PS2 clearance a few years back, I was one of the few people that picked any up around here.   It's actually what got me to go back to Gamestop after a number of years away.   But I always check their website at least once a day to see if anything new pops up.  A few weeks back, they updated their PS2 page with around 250 titles (up from 16 the month before).  I ordered some random titles from PS2, PS3, Wii and the DS.  And I've received maybe 10 different envelopes from stores around the country in the last two weeks.  Each one had one or two game sleeves inside.  Is this a common occurrence now?  Every time in the past when I ordered, it was always one box with everything from the warehouse. 

Though, naturally, one of the games I ordered was cancelled and I was shipped the wrong disc for another.  I wonder how many people actually bother to look at the disc inside those yellow sleeves to make sure that they actually match the sticker, or, for that matter, how many care.

So is there a reason why retro games are more popular now?
Its all nostalgia. People who were growing up in the 90s loved those games. Now that they have a higher income and they live boring adult lives, they have a hankerin for returning to their childhood and playing the same games that made them happy.

On Topic: I recieved my Super Metroid in the mail today. 

Its in great shape. Cartridge only (obvi) but the label has no marks, no tears, no nothing. Its in mint condition.

Definitely would have sold for more than 37.xx on ebay, so Im happy with this purchase.

Its all nostalgia. People who were growing up in the 90s loved those games. Now that they have a higher income and they live boring adult lives, they have a hankerin for returning to their childhood and playing the same games that made them happy.
It's not necessarily just nostalgic older gamers. More and more kids are into collecting older games now. There's a fixed supply for constantly increasing demand. Kids eat up retro game LPs and personalities on YouTube, it shouldn't come as a surprise they'd want to own the games they've watched people play.

I wouldn't just say it's nostalgia.  There are many factors...  

There really isn't too much innovation in gaming these days.  Every new system that comes out seems to be the shinier, higher-res version of the previous one.  The PS2/GCN/Xbox/DC era was a big jump from the 32bit days as far as what a system could do, but the PS3 and Xbox 360 weren't that much of a leap over their predecessors.  Over the last decade or so, some people just get tired of playing the same polygonal shooters and action titles all of the time.

There was once a time when you could barely even find a sprite game or 2D title on a console.  Yet now, one of the few things that newer consoles HAVE introduced, only help with the awareness of older games.  Thanks to indie games and the revival of classic titles via DLC and streaming services, there has been a rebirth for sprite-based and older styled games.   The internet is now also a wealth of knowledge about games that previously many were not aware of.  Youtube videos, Wikipedia, Social Media...whatever it may be, wasn't around.   Because of that, what was old is new again.  That leads to new generations of gamers that weren't around in those days, but now want to get into classic gaming and consoles, and allows people who otherwise weren't familiar at the time to learn about games that are new to them. 

Of course, you can't just walk into any store and find them like you could in abundance a decade or so back.  Many copies were surely destroyed or simply tossed out over the years.   The harder to find, the more people are going to want them.  You'll always have collectors that want to own an actual cartridge as opposed to digital or streaming media, and people that want to "own" the actual game.  Plus, there are an abundance of clone systems out now that are far more accessible than there had been since the original systems went off the market. 

It all depends really.  I've been trying to find a good copy of Toki for NES for a while now that doesn't cost ALL THE MONEYS.  I just want a copy because that was the very first game I ever beat on my own as a kid.  Well, there were a few atari games I guess, but most of those you couldn't really "beat", they'd just repeat themselves. 

I ordered some random titles from PS2, PS3, Wii and the DS. And I've received maybe 10 different envelopes from stores around the country in the last two weeks. Each one had one or two game sleeves inside. Is this a common occurrence now? Every time in the past when I ordered, it was always one box with everything from the warehouse.

Though, naturally, one of the games I ordered was cancelled and I was shipped the wrong disc for another. I wonder how many people actually bother to look at the disc inside those yellow sleeves to make sure that they actually match the sticker, or, for that matter, how many care.
I had the same happen with two recent orders. One was cancelled, even though the game never went oos online(and is still in stock). The other problem was that I got an empty case with no game inside. I ended up calling and they made it right, but yeah, their error rate is pretty bad.

$40 for Link to the Past cart only? I paid $25 for mine, and it was a Buy It Now. Gamestop's section still needs some work.

$40 for Link to the Past cart only? I paid $25 for mine, and it was a Buy It Now. Gamestop's section still needs some work.
Pretty fair price considering what the game sells for online and at stores like Disc Replay. $25 is a great price for ALttP, I still have my CIB copy that I had gotten as a gift when the game came out, which sells for significantly more than $40 online.

On Topic: I recieved my Super Metroid in the mail today.

Its in great shape. Cartridge only (obvi) but the label has no marks, no tears, no nothing. Its in mint condition.

Definitely would have sold for more than 37.xx on ebay, so Im happy with this purchase.
Which shipping option did you use? Just curious.

Yeah you paid that a few years ago or got a lucky snipe in.

I have almost every rare sega game CIB from a recent trade I got for peanuts. Paid less then five for CIB splatterhouse 2, 3, gunstar herores, castelevania, TMNT, contra hard corps, ghouls and ghosts, shinboi 3, sunset riders, I got all these 100% CIB for less then five bucks last month and tons more. Including space adventure for sega cd.

That doesn't meant gamestop prices are fair with the current market.

Yeah you paid that a few years ago or got a lucky snipe in.

I have almost every rare sega game CIB from a recent trade I got for peanuts. Paid less then five for CIB splatterhouse 2, 3, gunstar herores, castelevania, TMNT, contra hard corps, ghouls and ghosts, shinboi 3, sunset riders, I got all these 100% CIB for less then five bucks last month and tons more. Including space adventure for sega cd.

That doesn't meant gamestop prices are fair with the current market.
Yeah, saw that video you PMd me, fantastic deal for sure! Definitely some quality titles there, but just wanted to mention that that IN NO WAY even comes close to being "almost every rare sega game"... it barely scratches the surface my friend. Again, not to belittle the fantastic deal you got, just wanted to let you know there's a whole sea out there and you've filled a Poland Spring bottle! :)

and it looks like im buying in on this whole retro GS thing. I just got a Final Fantasy 3 (6) SNES for 37.xx. I only ever played the GBA version, and because its such a good game I figure I might as well get the OG experience.

Also one game that has skyrocketed in the last couple weeks. (Since E3) is Shenmue. That is selling for 50-60 disc only now. pretty crazy. GS price doesn't yet reflect that.

Yeah, saw that video you PMd me, fantastic deal for sure! Definitely some quality titles there, but just wanted to mention that that IN NO WAY even comes close to being "almost every rare sega game"... it barely scratches the surface my friend. Again, not to belittle the fantastic deal you got, just wanted to let you know there's a whole sea out there and you've filled a Poland Spring bottle! :)
Well I know its not every rare sega game. But I would say it definitely scratches the surface. If I had gotten Musha or crusader of centy CIB that would have been the icing on the cake.

Well I know its not every rare sega game. But I would say it definitely scratches the surface. If I had gotten Musha or crusader of centy CIB that would have been the icing on the cake.

bread's done
Back