GameStop Retro Classics live

My copy of Mega Man Legends came yesterday. It didn't come with a case, but it came with a instruction manual and a back insert. Just used an old copy case and slipped them right it. Works great and looks great.

Pretty satisfied for a $35 purchase. Just wish Legends 2 was cheaper.

So is there a reason why retro games are more popular now?
I think one thing folks don't get is relative supply. Back in the 90s game stores were fewer, many people rented instead of buying games, and mail order was your option to Amazon. There were millions of copies of Mario and Mortal Kombat in circulation but yeah Super Turrican 2 is rare because there were squat copies to begin with.

Talking about Disc Replay, I've only had positive experiences with them. I've also had luck with a local chain called Video Games Etc. They ran a buy 2 get 1 free special for the last two MONTHS, I've been dirt poor from racking up stuff that would be a pain to get elsewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think one thing folks don't get is relative supply. Back in the 90s game stores were fewer, many people rented instead of buying games, and mail order was your option to Amazon. There were millions of copies of Mario and Mortal Kombat in circulation but yeah Super Turrican 2 is rare because there were squat copies to begin with.

Talking about Disc Replay, I've only had positive experiences with them. I've also had luck with a local chain called Video Games Etc. They ran a buy 2 get 1 free special for the last two MONTHS, I've been dirt poor from racking up stuff that would be a pain to get elsewhere.
With Disc Replays being so far and few in between, you'd think their selection and pricing would be shit. I live about 4 or 5 miles from one, so I'm in there pretty often and I've always been happy shopping with them instead of bigger name retailers

rmnqq0.jpg

Gee, thanks Gamestop! Back label is ripped and the cart, label, and contacts are pretty dirty. I'm not really surprised, but now I'm debating returning it as while the label isn't ripped, it's pretty faded/worn.

Well, got my $100+ worth of retro PS1 games in and my feelings are mixed.  I specifically DID NOT order any of the games that showed a GH icon/picture, but I ended up with 2 that I really was hoping would be black-label as green (Legend of Dragoon and FFIX), also the other 3 (which I already own all in GH) came sleeve only (Chrono Cross, FF: Chronicles, FF: Origins)... The other 3 came black label complete with bonus discs and everything so I'm happy about those.

Did anyone perchance get any of the black label ones listed above and want to trade for my mint conditions GH versions? I'll cover shipping both ways.  Please let me know!

Still peeved Wild Arms and Parasite Eve were removed from my cart during the 2hours+ it took for their system to process correctly for some reason.

My games came in today and look pretty good. I was pretty surprised. I paid $87.30 for them all which was a pretty good deal. Don't forget to use the cag16 coupon to get 16% off.

IMG_4622_zpschkt5ovv.jpg

IMG_4623_zpsikq6crlk.jpg

Shit brah. I'm gonna go return these and I'll swing by to borrow your time machine when these were on sale. Past sales have nothing to do with current pricing. I wouldn't consider rare Amiibos "super-old fluff" either

Another thing people forget to take into account is that you have to pay $30 for the GCU, so it's going to take a few major purchases to make up the cost of the membership before you really start saving anything
I got GCU not too long ago (i think 2-3 months).

It's more than paid for itself for me.

I'm guessing you've had bad experiences which is understandable, but as a person who has both GCU and Power up pro. GCU to me is really looking like the only one I'll be sticking with going forward. $15 per year (and gcu has been available in other methods for nearly free), and I've already more than made up for it. The fact that the 20% discount on new games encourages to buy new over used is just an added bonus when it's cheaper at times than pre owned at gamestop. (game informer also is really poor compared to other gaming magazines of yesteryear too imo)

(I've made 3 orders btw)

super smash 50--->40 (discount 10)

titanfall was $8--->6.40

sin and punishment was 6.99 ---->5.59 (combined discount $3)

and my recent order

ducktales 16.99------>$13.59

Walking dead season one goty $19.99----->15.99

Zombi U $11.99 (clearance)--->9.59 (combined discount for this order-9.8)

(these were all new). So total 22.8$ discount. I wouldn't count these as major purchases either.

tl;dr Best buy membership really does pay for itself pretty quickly and many of these are actually cheaper than power up pro and used copies of these games.

edit: I should mention i got fall out pip boy edition preordered so, that'll easily put me over the mark too.

With Disc Replays being so far and few in between, you'd think their selection and pricing would be shit. I live about 4 or 5 miles from one, so I'm in there pretty often and I've always been happy shopping with them instead of bigger name retailers
They're not competing with just Disc Replay though. They have to compete with eBay and Amazon in this market.

2002, I remember going on eBay and seeing someone unload 60 sealed Super Turrican 2 carts on eBay for 1¢ each, $2.99 shipping. Not a single person was buying. I put a bid in for 5¢. Someone came in and big something like a quarter on the auction, completely sidestepping all the others. I went in an hour later and bid a dollar as the max bid. Ended up winning the auction for 83¢. I also won a sealed copy of Troddlers from the same seller for a 1¢. He was nice enough to combine the shipping.

Saw many of his Super Turrican 2 auctions go unsold for one cent. About an hour later, someone used the Buy-it-Now feature on a sealed copy from another seller for $69.99. I could not believe it.

For those curious, I uploaded some pics to CGR last year... http://classicgameroom.com/vaultpages/vaultpage/super-nintendo-super-turrican-2/

The Super Turrican 2 deal still blows my mind even more than finding Hagane at Gamestop for $5.99.

2002, I remember going on eBay and seeing someone unload 60 sealed Super Turrican 2 carts on eBay for 1¢ each, $2.99 shipping. Not a single person was buying. I put a bid in for 5¢. Someone came in and big something like a quarter on the auction, completely sidestepping all the others. I went in an hour later and bid a dollar as the max bid. Ended up winning the auction for 83¢. I also won a sealed copy of Troddlers from the same seller for a 1¢. He was nice enough to combine the shipping.

Saw many of his Super Turrican 2 auctions go unsold for one cent. About an hour later, someone used the Buy-it-Now feature on a sealed copy from another seller for $69.99. I could not believe it.

For those curious, I uploaded some pics to CGR last year... http://classicgameroom.com/vaultpages/vaultpage/super-nintendo-super-turrican-2/

The Super Turrican 2 deal still blows my mind even more than finding Hagane at Gamestop for $5.99.
Excuse me while I cry myself to sleep for not being able to get deals like this because I was too young at the time.

Best I ever got was finding Earthbound for $40ish in 2004, then I believe a few months later is when Earthbound's price skyrocketed.

I received my NES Metroid game today and it was the yellow label instead of the original silver label as was pictured on the site. Does anyone know if that is actually better or are the two about the same in value?

I'm guessing you've had bad experiences which is understandable, but as a person who has both GCU and Power up pro. GCU to me is really looking like the only one I'll be sticking with going forward. $15 per year (and gcu has been available in other methods for nearly free), and I've already more than made up for it. The fact that the 20% discount on new games encourages to buy new over used is just an added bonus when it's cheaper at times than pre owned at gamestop. (game informer also is really poor compared to other gaming magazines of yesteryear too imo)
I've had almost nothing but bad luck with Best Buy. Aside from finding 4 Pit Amiibos randomly (only bought 2 of them and left the other 2 for other people), I try to avoid BB for my gaming and electronic purchases. For one, I've had 0% luck PMing anything, including a Target weekly ad (and the Target was literally across the street), so I don't get why people even mention PMing there if they don't honor it. And for two, long story short, they had my computer for 3 weeks simply to install the Windows 8 operating system when they did a factory reset on my laptop - and before anyone mentions it, it cost me $0 oop because I was covered under a protection plan. The only thing going for my Best Buy are that they ALWAYS have collectors editions in stock. As of Right now, the one by work has (for PS4) Watch Dogs, Far Cry 4, Mortal Kombat X, and I think they still have The Witcher 3.

I received my NES Metroid game today and it was the yellow label instead of the original silver label as was pictured on the site. Does anyone know if that is actually better or are the two about the same in value?
The yellow label is worth more than the original b/c of lower supply according to Pat the NES Punk's podcast, the Completely Unneccessary Podcast.

I've had almost nothing but bad luck with Best Buy. Aside from finding 4 Pit Amiibos randomly (only bought 2 of them and left the other 2 for other people), I try to avoid BB for my gaming and electronic purchases. For one, I've had 0% luck PMing anything, including a Target weekly ad (and the Target was literally across the street), so I don't get why people even mention PMing there if they don't honor it.
Well, now I guess there's absolute proof that you're a liar that nobody should take seriously. Best Buy has the easiest and best PM system of any retailer. I'm sure Gamestop is going to give you a pay cut after this blunder.

I've collected NES games for 20 years and have only found 1 cib copy of yellow metroid in all those years so you done good.

I've had almost nothing but bad luck with Best Buy. Aside from finding 4 Pit Amiibos randomly (only bought 2 of them and left the other 2 for other people), I try to avoid BB for my gaming and electronic purchases. For one, I've had 0% luck PMing anything, including a Target weekly ad (and the Target was literally across the street), so I don't get why people even mention PMing there if they don't honor it. And for two, long story short, they had my computer for 3 weeks simply to install the Windows 8 operating system when they did a factory reset on my laptop - and before anyone mentions it, it cost me $0 oop because I was covered under a protection plan. The only thing going for my Best Buy are that they ALWAYS have collectors editions in stock. As of Right now, the one by work has (for PS4) Watch Dogs, Far Cry 4, Mortal Kombat X, and I think they still have The Witcher 3.
What issues did they give you with price match? What reason did they give? I price match their multiple times a month and never have any issue at many stores.

What issues did they give you with price match? What reason did they give? I price match their multiple times a month and never have any issue at many stores.
I forget the exact reason they turned me down for a Target price, but I remember clearly why they turned me down when I tried to PM the Call of Duty Ghosts: Prestige Edition ($23 from Gamestop). They said that the only online store the PM is Amazon. When I told them that the price was online and an-store, they told me to bring them a physical ad from a Gamestop store (presumably knowing Gamestop never advertises price drops on old game) before they would help me. I showed them this very ad when the price drop went live and didn't sell out online yet:

http://www.gamestop.com/ps3/games/call-of-duty-ghosts-prestige-edition/111351

Chrono Trigger is online for anyone thats looking for it. It come out to 69.xx after cag16 and PUR.

edit: well lol nvm.

I've collected NES games for 20 years and have only found 1 cib copy of yellow metroid in all those years so you done good.
Really?! That's super strange, maybe you weren't looking for it? I was looking for CIB Metroid and ALL I could find was the stupid yellow box. Took me awhile of searching to find a non-Yellow box Metroid. (I wanted the original)

Chrono Trigger is online for anyone thats looking for it. It come out to 69.xx after cag16 and PUR.

edit: well lol nvm.
Probably cart only for that price.

Chrono Trigger is one of my favorite games of all time, but unless you are getting a CIB copy for SNES or an incredibly awesome price on the cart only. I would strongly recommend against paying more than $50 for a copy, you can buy Chrono Trigger on numerous other platforms for considerably less.

I really need to get PUR back.  I had it on my online account last year or so, but now it is gone.  I have no idea where my card is... it has been years.  Pretty good prices (for overpriced SNES carts that is) on FF3 and Metroid after both discounts.

Has anyone tried to return these retro games in store? I'm wondering if I may see some of these carts randomly pop up in stores near me.
I'm sure they send them back to the warehouse when they are returned. They may also just send them to field destroy if they are being returned as not working or damaged. This was the case when I worked for Gamestop with a lot of product that would get returned.

Probably cart only for that price.

Chrono Trigger is one of my favorite games of all time, but unless you are getting a CIB copy for SNES or an incredibly awesome price on the cart only. I would strongly recommend against paying more than $50 for a copy, you can buy Chrono Trigger on numerous other platforms for considerably less.
Problem is all the other ports, minus the DS one, are vastly inferior. Stupid me trading my FF 2/3 & CT to Babbage's in Paducah, KY while in college because they were coming out on PS1, so why would I need my SNES copies anymore?

Also the going rate for CT cart on AZ/EBay is $90-$100 so getting a copy for 2/3 of that is actually a deal if it's in good condition.

For people buying these N64 games, check your local pawn shops.

I have about 140 N64 games (some are duplicates) and about 50 of them have the box as well.

Last two trips to Pawn America I picked up MK, NFL Blitz, Diddy Kong Racing, Wayne Gretky, WWF Warzone, Quake 64 and Wave Race all inbox for about $26 total.

I've seen FFVII tagged at $11 as well. No reason to pay such inflated prices.

Problem is all the other ports, minus the DS one, are vastly inferior. Stupid me trading my FF 2/3 & CT to Babbage's in Paducah, KY while in college because they were coming out on PS1, so why would I need my SNES copies anymore?

Also the going rate for CT cart on AZ/EBay is $90-$100 so getting a copy for 2/3 of that is actually a deal if it's in good condition.
That is the problem, you have no idea what condition the cart is in. I've seen Chrono Trigger cart only at Disc Replay around here a few times and it typically sells for $60-$80. Part of the fun of the hunt though is getting a deal on these rare titles. I agree that the other ports are inferior, but I wouldn't call them vastly inferior. The SNES version is clearly the one to get, but the DS port wasn't bad at all and the aside from the loading times the PSX port wasn't unplayable by any means.

bread's done
Back