Gears Of War: Judgment - Lost Relics DLC out now VIP - 6/25 for Non VIP

First Impressions:
6 games played.
5 Won (1st lost).
Usually lasting around 7-16 minutes per game.

It plays like the recent Battlefields, in how they have idiot-proofed the class system...almost. It's like no one plays as Sofia/Medic. The first game I joined into was a terrible team versus an awesome team. 3 Coles, yet no ammo boxes dropped until I snapped on my headset and gave them shit for it. Seriously, people, pay a-fucking-ttention.

Health icons appear above injured players when you're Sofia. Bullet icons appear above players who lack ammo when you're Cole. Paduk, like a Wretch, gets shown areas he can climb to. And Baird...well, everyone knows when barriers are taking damage, he just gets to try to fix them.

Sofia uses the Lancer with 4-5 extra mags, and a Sawed-Off with only the two shots in the gun. She can get more ammo, but only when Cole drops it for everyone else. Her stim grenades are really only valuable if you get teammates standing still, or guarding a single barrier. It's not that I don't use it on a single teammate, it just feel like a waste to do so since it takes time to recharge, and disappears shortly after it's dropped. It's great for expected strikes, though, where the Locusts rush and shoot your teammates, yet they aren't going down and are ripping apart the Locust players.

Sawed-Off has a nice range, too. Expect to hate it in versus. But really expect to hate the Halo-esque melee, just without the lunge. The rapid nudge is deadly for some reason.

Also, you can 'revive' teammates sometimes; I was able to grab a fellow grenadier when he was downed. This never occurred on the COG side, but this might also be because I was already a medic and was tossing stim grenades at downed allies. This does seem to only occur when there is a Medic or Kantus active on your team though, as normally when you get downed it seems like you automatically die. The game shows you a message saying something like, "Medic on the field: revival something...something." I assume it's informing you to prepare for a potential revive, but if there are no medics, it mentions something like, "No medics available, prepare to respawn." It you lose your head or get ripped apart, there is not revival for you, just like the previous games.

This is really important. Executions are now the B button. I tried to execute a guy and kept swapping weapons, looking like an idiot. Quick B tap is the fast elbow finisher that's been in every game, but if you get close you'll see a B button prompt which you can hold down and do. I just beatdown a guy with the Lancer out, so I don't know if showy executions are gone.

Locust team should treat the first few minutes of Overrun like Beast Mode. Don't worry about the COG. Killing them is almost useless, since the barriers still block your paths. You can shoot and frag the barriers, but they are both very, very weak against objects, including the E-hole. Grenades are almost pathetic with how little damage they do. A ticker, or group of tickers, can rapidly take down barriers, and a wretch can knock an E-hole down very quickly when you ambush the spot.

The last game I played we won by 2 seconds (9:02 versus 9:04) because of teamwork. Please use your headsets, spot (same as it was in 3: aim and click in the left stick), use your grenades if you're a COG, and don't just stand around the E-hole. Seriously, the worst defense is a defense that crowds the object of importance, because once you're dead, the enemy team is already at the target, and you're respawning away from it, unable to protect it. It's better to die ahead of the target, so that when you are killed you'll respawn close by to rush to it before the enemy can get there.

Likewise, don't go too far away from it. You'll be unable to attack the enemy team if they take an alternate route and group attack the objective. Try to stay between the 1st and 2nd closest barriers to an E-hole, so that the enemy has to work to take out barriers, while also being killed by you and your team.

I played briefly as Baird, and he's not a rush or assault person. Stay back and take cover by a barrier. Put a turret on an elevated surface, and let that be your 'gun.' Just repair barriers, and switch to the Gnasher only when the enemy team gets too close. Your repair tool is weak, and it seems like people shooting at barriers do more damage than you can repair in time, but at least you'll stall them.

And if you see a team of Maulers and Kantuses, shit your pants, and hope that the Cole players can Booshka their asses, or else you've definitely lost an E-hole or the Generator. Seriously...

Don't got season pass yet, but I'm sure it won apply as double xp requires you to play on the "VIP" playlist.

Played about 4 matches last night, tons of fun, can't wait for the full game.

I played two games early this morning. Quick thoughts: This plays a LOT like Rush in Battlefield Bad Company 2.

I was playing as Sofia, almost everyone else was Cole, yet no one was putting down any ammo. I ran both guns completely out of ammo.

The active area of the map is VERY small, compared to what we're used to.

Do i have to be a powerup rewards member to get the code? Cause I just pre-ordered from gamestop and im not sure if its exclusive or for all preorders.

Grayson Hunt and the "chick" Novak could be special skins for People Can Fly devs. I know some of you hope you can unlock them, but i think that would be cool if it was only for PCF devs. Then you could tell who they are.

Also its been confirmed you CANT use Gears 3 weapon or characters in Judgment, even though a judgment guide says you can. Guess they were thinking about it, and decided in the end not to do it.

Man i cant wait to get my hands on this game.

[quote name='The 7th Number']Grayson Hunt and the "chick" Novak could be special skins for People Can Fly devs. I know some of you hope you can unlock them, but i think that would be cool if it was only for PCF devs. Then you could tell who they are.[/QUOTE]

I am gonna kill their dicks if I can't play as Trishka.

[quote name='snakemaster2389']i pre-ordered this online and havent gotten an early acces code yet :([/QUOTE]
Supposedly, some Gamestops actually got their codes on cards. This seems wrong, but some people have said that they actually got calls from their Gamestop, telling them to come in and get their code.

This is a longshot, but if you live nearby your Gamestop, it might be worth dropping by, or at least calling them to see what's up. The Early Access starts March 14-15, so technically they have until tonight to get it to you.

Edit: I hate self promoting, but please read what I've posted in long text above. It'll help if you haven't played yet. The game moves fast if you're not paying attention.

I played as Cole and Paduk last night, and found that Cole is great in the beginning of matches, but not so much once the enemy team starts rushing in. The Booshka is fantastic for getting enemies around corners, since it bounces and self detonates when enemies are near. I was able to hold off Tickers from attacking caltrops for 20-30 seconds at the start, as I kept on firing it at them and dropping ammo at my feet to keep the explosives coming. I'm sure that was part luck, but if used properly you can really hinder enemy progress right away, forcing them to either shoot the barrier you're guarding, which takes more time, or go the alternate route, where hopefully your teammates are equally putting up a good fight. Also, first thing to do as Cole is try to drop an ammo box at the intersection point a the start of the match, where all 5 COG run through. It just helps to give your teammates extra ammo right away, so that they aren't going to be panicked, looking for you later when they need ammo.

Paduk has the Snub, which I found more effective than the rifle he has. Spot grenades are great when thrown ahead, closer to enemy spawns, so that you can anticipate enemy movement earlier. It's much more effective to know when a Corpser, Serapede or Mauler(s) are coming into the battle than to find out they're coming at you with only seconds to be ready for them.

The cloud of smoke you see is a Kryll shield, preventing the COG from getting to the Spawn where the Locusts are. Grenades do nothing beyond there. I threw a spot grenade through it and it immediately disappeared. Try dropping it just before it, so that the enemy is forced to run into it. It's important to note that the Kryll shield will kill you if you run into it as a COG, so be wary of it, but you probably shouldn't be that far ahead if you followed what I posted before.

Last edited by a moderator:
The engineer is so laughably overpowered compared to all the other classes. It's taken less than 24 hours for the general polulation to figure this out and now it's nothing but 5 man engineer teams.

[quote name='panda911']The engineer is so laughably overpowered compared to all the other classes. It's taken less than 24 hours for the general polulation to figure this out and now it's nothing but 5 man engineer teams.[/QUOTE]

:rofl:

I was afraid of that...Baird and Cole are my favorite class, and I agree with you, a team of Bairds can take game pretty easily.

What level is everyone here at the moment? I shut it off at level 16 last night. I'll get on later today tough. I hope Brisk hurrys up and ships my game. Guess I'll have to pick up my MS preorder on Monday night, just didnt want to use all my $20 giftcards up from sitting in WIndows 8 classes up.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I only play a couple matches a night, playing the same map over and over gets old quick, reached 7.5 last night.[/QUOTE]
I feel ya on that one. It would be funny if someone let family/roommates play 24hrs straight and land the retail game at level 50. Only game mode I might have problem with getting achievement is win FFA on all the maps. I'm not too good on FFA on any game lol

[quote name='dennisb407']I feel ya on that one. It would be funny if someone let family/roommates play 24hrs straight and land the retail game at level 50. Only game mode I might have problem with getting achievement is win FFA on all the maps. I'm not too good on FFA on any game lol[/QUOTE]
It's only 4 maps, though. Overtime it should come. Plus, according to what Pete Knepley said during the stream I posted, 1st, 2nd or 3rd place counts as a win (sort of like how Halo 3 and Reach had it).

[quote name='Dark Lord Greg']Anyone gotten their codes today? Sitting here refreshing my inbox every 10 minutes[/QUOTE]
If your local Gamestop is open, I've heard you should call them. That's what people on the Gears Forum are saying. If you didn't get it by yesterday it's probably due to an error, and you need to contact them to be given a code.

Yeah called GameStop earlier and got my code, played a few matches already really seems like locust are overmatched by COG especially with that turret that Baird drops, jeez

You can tell early if the COG team is working together while you're locusts, if not that Corpser will win the match every time.

Got this from X360a

Character unlocks:

Baird (aftermath) - get any achievement
Cole (aftermath) - survive the 10th wave of Survival
Paduk (aftermath) - complete Aftermath
Loomis - beat the main campaign
Minh - earn 10 stars in campaign
Tai - earn 126 stars in campaign
Onyx guard (male & female) - become VIP member

Character skins:

Skeletal - earn 80 stars
Brisk - Brisk promotion
Arctic - VIP Exclusive
Big Game - VIP Exclusive
Dark Carnival - VIP Exclusive
Plaid - VIP Exclusive
Astro division - Microsoft Points
Bacon - Microsoft Points
Candy Cane - Microsoft Points
Clown - Microsoft Points
Deadly Cute - Microsoft Points
Groovy - Microsoft Points
Harlequin - Microsoft Points
HBPD Blue - Microsoft Points
Inmate - Microsoft Points
Ladybug -Microsoft Points
Neon - Microsoft Points
Paintball - Microsoft Points
Program - Microsoft Points
Skeletal - Microsoft Points
Super Hero - Microsoft Points
Tiger Stripes - Microsoft Points
Zombie - Microsoft Points
Burning - Microsoft Points
Cascade - Microsoft Points
Cracked -Microsoft Points
Digital -Microsoft Points
Double Rainbow - Microsoft Points
Chrome - Prize Box Normal
Copper - Prize Box Normal
Cel Shaded - Prize Box Epic
Mummy - Prize Box Epic
Bee - Prize Box Rare
Gold - Prize Box Rare

Weapon Skins:

Reaper - kill an Epic Reaper
Big Game - Game Guide
Brisk - Brisk promo
Lambent - Gamestop preorder
Paintball - Expertzone
Team Metal (Blue and Red) - LIVE Gold card
Team Pulse - Social media promo
Ares Bronze - VIP exclusive
Flames of Judgment - VIP exclusive
Hazardous - VIP exclusive
Hot Rod - VIP exclusive
Zebra - VIP exclusive
8 Ball - MS Points
Aurora - MS Points
Candy - MS Points
Car no. 13 - MS Points
Comic - MS Points
Double Rainbow - MS Points
Electrostatic - MS Points
Groovy - MS Points
Imperial - MS Points
Melon Farmer - MS Points
Mod Culture - MS Points
Pink Rabbit - MS Points
Shark - MS Points
Unite - MS Points
Wood - MS Points
X-ray - MS Points

Prize box skins for 7 weapons:

Burn Spray - Normal Boxes
Chrome - Normal Boxes
Gold - Rare boxes
Rib Cage - Rare Boxes
Onyx - Epic Boxes
Xbox - Epic boxes

I see that Neon on the list, but I cant find anywhere that its supposed to be a Walmart exclusive, not even on the WM site, they're just giving away GOW2/3 with Judgement purchase.

I want the locust armor skin, i posted a pic of it in here, but havent seen any info on how to unlock it. I hope its still in the game, cos it was awesome.

Im going to do campaign so i can get Kim, and maybe some armor skins like skeletal. But i might buy one. Thing is some of them wouldnt work too well with red or blue armor with them.

[quote name='dennisb407']I see that Neon on the list, but I cant find anywhere that its supposed to be a Walmart exclusive, not even on the WM site, they're just giving away GOW2/3 with Judgement purchase.[/QUOTE]
It's a walmart exclusive due to the fact that the code/sticker is on the big packs (6.5oz) of oberto jerky that's at walmart and when you redeem the code it says it's a walmart exclusive

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I only play a couple matches a night, playing the same map over and over gets old quick, reached 7.5 last night.[/QUOTE]

I feel ya baby.. I think I did 4 rounds.. but damn I keep getting on teams that don't want to work together... I can see that's going to get old real quick!!!

[quote name='knightsmith']It's a walmart exclusive due to the fact that the code/sticker is on the big packs (6.5oz) of oberto jerky that's at walmart and when you redeem the code it says it's a walmart exclusive[/QUOTE]

I went to a walmart Friday and I didn't see anything that mentioned an exclusive pack, just the Tai skin. I'll have to be on the look out for the big packs.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I went to a walmart Friday and I didn't see anything that mentioned an exclusive pack, just the Tai skin. I'll have to be on the look out for the big packs.[/QUOTE]

It's the same sticker that's on the small bags but when you redeem the code it give you a bonus code besides just the Tai code

[quote name='knightsmith']I feel ya baby.. I think I did 4 rounds.. but damn I keep getting on teams that don't want to work together... I can see that's going to get old real quick!!![/QUOTE]
Try getting a team from here. At least it might be people who would use headsets and formulate a plan.

I've heard that Paduk's Beacon Grenade actually makes enemies weaker, or at least weakens the attacks they do. That might be good to know if the enemy is constantly getting to your E-hole or Generator and are too strong to fight off. At least a dropped Beacon Grenade nearby might help make them easier to repel.

Just what I've read. I have no proof of this actually being true.

[quote name='The Ebbtide']good to know if the enemy is constantly getting to your E-hole [/QUOTE]

that just sounds so wrong...

[quote name='dirtyvu']that just sounds so wrong...[/QUOTE]
Just another thing to add to the list of sexual tones in Gears of War, though. Seriously, a Giant Worm...

Edit: Now it just sounds disturbingly wrong when the E-hole is broken open and Sofia screams, "NO! Not like this!"

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I went to a walmart Friday and I didn't see anything that mentioned an exclusive pack, just the Tai skin. I'll have to be on the look out for the big packs.[/QUOTE]
Same here, I'm calling BS on that Walmart deal now I'm stuck with 2 Tai codes that have no value lol

bread's done
Back