General Discussion for ATL CAGs In Memoriam Matthew Cherry

Status
Not open for further replies.

organicow

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
Hey guys, I figured since we totally hijacked that DS Lite thread to talk about everything from cider to live local music....we might as well have a dedicated thread for it. Especially since I think we definitely have the most robust discussions in the Southeast CAG forum!

I'll kick it off by describing my recent EB experience:

I hit the Northlake EB (the one with the cool manager) today to grab some B2G1 goodness. I ended up getting Marvel vs. Capcom 2 (XB), RE2 (GC), and RE3 (GC), all complete and mint for 86.65. Considering that MvC2 goes for $50-60 on ebay, I thought this to be a pretty good purchase! As I was leaving, the manager guy told me that the North Dekalb store had some rare shit right now too, and that I should check it out. What a nice guy!

Anyway, I f'n hate that EB, but I figured it was worth a trip (its not that far from home). I ended up getting complete mint copies of REZ (PS2), LoZ Promo disc (GC, the one with Master Quest), and Cubivore (GC) for $72.20. Cool.

I also got 3 used DS games (preparing for the Lite on Sun) for B2G1. All three of the games (Trauma Center, Advance Wars, and MarioKart) were complete. But, somehow, as the dipshit was ringing me up, the Trauma manual somehow disappeared from the box! Since they insist upon slapping those damned clear stickers on the edges at sale time, I didn't notice the missing manual until I was on the way home. Jackasses!! Well, they had another complete used copy, so hopefully they can help me out tomorrow....but I'm not counting on it.

In the meantime, this dude with a baby was trading in 20 Xbox games (and getting ripped off, I might add), and the clueless employees there couldn't seem to get it all worked out. That poor bastard must've been there for about 45 minutes, and still hadn't gotten the right trade in credit. UGH.

My two trips today really showed me how utterly opposed two EBs within a few miles of one another could really be. And that is why I always go out to Northlake!

/rant

On to more beer talk!! :cool:

[quote name='tinyandi']5 people in Alpharetta, 3 people in Kennesaw. Tucker and Buckhead are NOT allowing lines and will call the cops for loitering. How do you all recommend trying to get in on the pre-orders in Tucker and Buckhead?[/QUOTE]

Have you tried the one by Cumberland mall?

Edit: Nevermind. Cobb. Duh

Yeah, 7 people as of Friday night.

Any experience with mall security at Tucker or Buckhead? How should I go about it if I go tonight?

[quote name='tinyandi']Yeah, 7 people as of Friday night.

Any experience with mall security at Tucker or Buckhead? How should I go about it if I go tonight?[/quote]

The one in Tucker is in kind of a dodgy area. Don't know that I'd be hanging out there by myself (or in a small group) with money in my pocket. And there are always bullets flying in Buckhead on a Saturday night. So I can see why they're discouraging people from camping out at those locations.

There are two more boxes in "poor" condition but they seemed to have all their contents. They're not in the usual endcap location, but back behind the electronics where the musical instruments and clock radios live.

No Wii stuff out yet - no glowing gift cards. I didn't get a chance to ask the guy at the counter because he was helping a number of folks.

Anybody get a Wii or PS3 preorder (or Elmo, for that matter)? I didn't bother even going. Slept in instead, went to brunch and a nice foreign film. I'll wait in line on the 18th when I'll actually end up with a system in my hands.

[quote name='Tybee']Slept in instead, went to brunch and a nice foreign film. I'll wait in line on the 18th when I'll actually end up with a system in my hands.[/QUOTE]
It was nice getting that extra hour of sleep this morning before Sunday School.

So you're back to waiting in Wally huh? If we actuallly get ourselves organized, I'm so down for us all getting together for that.

Hey Guys...its better you guys didn't. I tried going at 6pm and all stores in the area (I even went out to Fayetteville) were full.

If any of you guys are seeking a PS3 (I, luckily, got my Wii pre-ordered as EB), I would LOVE to organize something. Feel free to send me a PM.

Actually, I have my ps3 all taken care of. I didn't pre-order the wii as the numbers have things looking like I'll have no problem finding one in-store within two weeks of launch. But if anyone wants to meet up for a wii launch grab, I'm interested.

And now I have a few questions for y'all.

1) Does anyone want to split the Best Buy bogo special edition deal they have going this week? I'm really only interested in Dr Strangelove, so if any of you folks were looking for one movie from their list, we could split the cost making it about $11 total a piece (incl. tax).

2) Do any of you play games on your cellphone? I have a winning code from the McDonalds Monopoly thingy and I'm not interested.

3) Does any one around here know of any nice local artisian fairs or boutiques? Art, jewerly, glass, whatever.

[quote name='guinaevere']Actually, I have my ps3 all taken care of. I didn't pre-order the wii as the numbers have things looking like I'll have no problem finding one in-store within two weeks of launch. But if anyone wants to meet up for a wii launch grab, I'm interested.[/quote]

Gwen, Andi, and anyone else who's game: Let's start planning this thing. Obviously WalMart is the target. We'll need to figure out which one and commit to a time to get there. Say Saturday morning? How early? My wife has offered to provide support services like running to get food and stuff. :)

3) Does any one around here know of any nice local artisian fairs or boutiques? Art, jewerly, glass, whatever.

Can you be more specific? Are you looking for special events or stores or what?

[quote name='Tybee']Gwen, Andi, and anyone else who's game: Let's start planning this thing. Obviously WalMart is the target. We'll need to figure out which one and commit to a time to get there. Say Saturday morning? How early? My wife has offered to provide support services like running to get food and stuff. :)[/quote]
*chokes* Saturday... MORNING?!!!? You're killing me, Tybee. I don't do well in the morning. I need my 12 hours of sleep a night. >__<

As for Wallys send out the suggestions. So far we had one for a Wally on lawrenceville hwy (did I get it right this time?). I don't really know where you are, but there was a Wally right close to Hmart, right? I know how to find that, AND it has the benefit of being close to the interstate which is a BIG benefit in my mind for driving over an hour home by myself in the middle of the night.

Other Wallys that are near to interstates:
Douglasville I-20 (while this is very close and we could even order out from Gumbeaux's, this is a pretty skanky Wally and they did lottery for the 360.)
Lithia Springs I-20 (a little less skanky but this will still have a lot of folks waiting in line)
Kennesaw I-575 (neocisco directed me to a couple GameStops near this new Wally. I have no idea what it's like inside. Cisco, any input?)

I'm sure there are others, but these are the only ones I'm aware of off-hand.

Can you be more specific? Are you looking for special events or stores or what?
I can, but it'll cost ya. =P I'm not entirely sure. I was out this afternoon and I found what I thought was a nice hair clip that would look wonderful in my Sister-in-Laws hair. Only, it was a pin. But the result is, it got me thinking that I need to start thinking about her for Christmas because she's the one I have the hardest time shopping for.

Mom- easy, give to ministries
both Brothers- easy, games, dvds, random toys and gag gifts
Sis-in-Law- difficult. It isn't that she's demanding, or anything like that. It's just that she is a girly-girl and has very classy taste (and I am not and do not). I did well last year with a few nice outfits from some of her fav shops, but I'd like to get something other than clothes. When she takes trips she often will pick up a water-color or oil painting by a local artist or of the local areas. She also has some lovely glass pieces and even a few hand-woven scarves from different around the country.

She's more to the quality than quantity. The complete opposite of me and my bros. We wait for stuff to get discounted and then stock up so we can pile tons of games and toys on each other each year.

So. A fair would be awesome. But as those only happen once in a while throughout the year, if you know of any nifty local boutiques or whatever, please lemme know.

Edit: Are we sure we don't want to try our luck at Microcenter when it opens?

[quote name='guinaevere']*chokes* Saturday... MORNING?!!!? You're killing me, Tybee. I don't do well in the morning. I need my 12 hours of sleep a night. >__

[quote name='guinaevere']Kennesaw I-575 (neocisco directed me to a couple GameStops near this new Wally. I have no idea what it's like inside. Cisco, any input?)[/quote]

[quote name='rupan_sansei']The Kennesaw Wal-Mart is pretty nice as far as Wal-Marts go. Does not seem "skanky". It is only about a year old.[/quote]
I concur.

I have some good news for you guys.

Best Buy store #504 (Pleasant Hill) is going to be doing a midnight launch for the PS3. Anyone game to organize something there at around 6PM on that Thursday? 6 hours should be enough to secure one, right?

[quote name='rupan_sansei']The Kennesaw Wal-Mart is pretty nice as far as Wal-Marts go. Does not seem "skanky". It is only about a year old.[/QUOTE]

I can do Kennesaw. So just to get a head count, who -- besides Gwen, Andi, and myself -- is interested in coming out for this?

[quote name='B-Random!']I have some good news for you guys.

Best Buy store #504 (Pleasant Hill) is going to be doing a midnight launch for the PS3. Anyone game to organize something there at around 6PM on that Thursday? 6 hours should be enough to secure one, right?[/QUOTE]

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Good luck to you, sir.

[quote name='guinaevere']1) Does anyone want to split the Best Buy bogo special edition deal they have going this week? I'm really only interested in Dr Strangelove, so if any of you folks were looking for one movie from their list, we could split the cost making it about $11 total a piece (incl. tax).[/QUOTE]
They had this deal a couple of months ago, and it's really nice. I got Black Hawk Down (3Disc) and Strangelove. :) I should probably abstain from buying more right now, though.

[quote name='Tybee']Good luck to you, sir.[/quote]

So none of you guys want to camp out with me at the Best Buy on Pleasant Hill? It could be fun.

B-Random!! I didn't know you were from the Atlanta area. I live at Conyers. I can't make any camping plans till I know the PS3 distribution.

[quote name='lawyeron']B-Random!! I didn't know you were from the Atlanta area. I live at Conyers. I can't make any camping plans till I know the PS3 distribution.[/quote]

I don't actually *live* in Georgia, I'm stationed in Texas and going through seperation right now and staying with my folks.

I am definitely going to camp for a PS3, the more the merrier guys. Camping in groups has some big advantages like we can actually use the bathroom, go for food, be safe, and pass the time by chatting and playing games (monopoly anyone?).

I need to head back to Texas (Galveston) that day to pick up my pre-orders there. That is why I'm going for the 12 o'clock launch option.

[quote name='B-Random!']I don't actually *live* in Georgia, I'm stationed in Texas and going through seperation right now and staying with my folks.

I am definitely going to camp for a PS3, the more the merrier guys. Camping in groups has some big advantages like we can actually use the bathroom, go for food, be safe, and pass the time by chatting and playing games (monopoly anyone?).

I need to head back to Texas (Galveston) that day to pick up my pre-orders there. That is why I'm going for the 12 o'clock launch option.[/QUOTE]

If you do it, no matter where you go, you're definitely going to need to get there earlier than 6 hours ahead (especially for a midnight launch, when everyone and his brother is going to make a beeline for BB after they get off work at 5:00). Keep in mind that people camped out as early as two full days ahead for preorders at TRU for the PS3 and the Wii. Hell, even the EB/GS (Wii) preorders a month ago had people camping overnight. These people do not mess around. Add to that the fact that there are even less PS3s than there were 360s at launch and you have a recipe for chaos.

[quote name='B-Random!']I have some good news for you guys.

Best Buy store #504 (Pleasant Hill) is going to be doing a midnight launch for the PS3. Anyone game to organize something there at around 6PM on that Thursday? 6 hours should be enough to secure one, right?[/QUOTE]

For the PS2 launch, I camped out at the Wal-Mart in Alpharetta on Mansell Road. Got there at 1:00 PM for a midnight launch, already 4 people in line. By 2 PM, there were 14 people, more than the 12 systems they had for the launch. Considering the high profile of this launch and the possibility that each store will have more limited amounts of systems, I would plan at least a 12 hour wait, but if I had $600 to spend, I would get there at 8 AM or so. As long as you are waiting that long, might as well make sure you get one.

I'm just not feeling it for the PS3 right now. There is no game out I want until Final Fantasy 13 and by then I'll be able to get one with an overstock 10% off coupon.

I pride myself in being able to get every system since Playstation 2on the first day whether through pre order or otherwise. I'm even getting the WII through Amazon. I feel if I wanted to get the PS3, I would already have it on preorder. If I can get it through Amazon without problem I'll preorder. I'm unsure of waiting overnight. Although the prospect of flipping it on ebay for 3,000.00 is interesting.

I had one guy ask to buy all of our PS3's when they come in. I wonder what he was going to do with all of those systems?:roll: His logic was what does it matter since you're going to sell all of them anyway. How about all the other pissed off people who don't get one? It took quite a bit of self-restraint not to laugh in his face.

Personally, I don't care if someone buys one to flip it on ebay. Buying more than one to flip, though, is just pure selfishness. Anybody who does that deserves it when they get mugged in the parking lot.

I actually had one guy offer me $ to make sure one would be held for him. He even had his wallet out of his pocket and was ready to fork over the greenbacks! Plus, he was just buying it for his kid, not even for himself. I highly doubt that child has ever heard the word "no".

As 11-17 gets closer it's only going to get worse...:headache:

[quote name='B-Random!']I don't actually *live* in Georgia, I'm stationed in Texas and going through seperation right now and staying with my folks.[/quote] Sorry to hear that, Random. Not about being stationed in Texas, I love it there. =) About going through a seperation.

I need to head back to Texas (Galveston) that day to pick up my pre-orders there. That is why I'm going for the 12 o'clock launch option.
If I had need to do a camp for a PS3, I'd probably join you. However, I'm covered in that department.

[quote name='neocisco']Personally, I don't care if someone buys one to flip it on ebay. Buying more than one to flip, though, is just pure selfishness. Anybody who does that deserves it when they get mugged in the parking lot.[/quote] Yeah, but I don't want bad things to befall people no matter how pathetic they are. Even if a guy gets through his entire life being a shmoe, there's still a time of accountability.

I actually had one guy offer me $ to make sure one would be held for him. He even had his wallet out of his pocket and was ready to fork over the greenbacks! Plus, he was just buying it for his kid, not even for himself. I highly doubt that child has ever heard the word "no".
But... but... his precious off-spring deserve the system. Obviously. They're *his* kids. urf.

Yesterday I hit the BB in Douglasville and had the nicest time talking with a kid working in DVDs. It was so funny to hear him, he'd just turned 21, and he's telling me about how parents aren't parents these days... they just want to be their kids friends. (gwen's addition: and that doesn't help anyone... a parents job is to raise the child into a responsible adult. They need guidelines and discipline. they need to know right and wrong and be accountable for their actions if they ever wish to succeed as a human being.)

I totally agreed with him, it was just adorable hearing it from such a youngster.

You should make that face to your customers. *giggles*

In response to the overall theme of your ps3 tales, it makes me feel kinda guilty. The manager at my local EB held a pre-order slot for me. Not only that but while we were talking about the number of pre-orders (16) is more than the number alloted to the store for launch, so I was whining to him about having to get up early anyway to ensure I'll get one on 11-17, not to mention anytime before Christmas. And he tells me "nooooooo you don't."

He knows I don't have a Wii pre-ordered, and we were talking about the pre-order sell outs at TRU and Wally-online and he asked if I needed one held for the 19th. I declined. I'm just wanting the ps3 for Big Bros Christmas pressie. The Wii I know I'll be able to pick up at launch or soon enough there-after. But he's really way too good to me.

...I sometimes wonder if he likes me (I know it sounds like we're in Jr High again, I'm sorry), but dang it if he does, what would it take to invite me to a movie or something?

Yes friends and neighbors, I have to fight them off with a magnet and glue.
loopy_toungue.gif

Anyway. Is anyone going to see Manheim Steamroller this year? They're coming back to Atlanta this Christmas.

[quote name='guinaevere']...I sometimes wonder if he likes me (I know it sounds like we're in Jr High again, I'm sorry), but dang it if he does, what would it take to invite me to a movie or something?[/quote]
If you are interested in him just ask him out. It is 2006, it isn't taboo to express interest in a man anymore (unless you are a man yourself, haha). I'm sure a girl woman gamer is irresistable to a GS/EB manager, and even if he/you aren't looking for romance, there is no reason you can't be friends outside the confines of his store. Just do it.

[quote name='guinaevere']Yeah, but I don't want bad things to befall people no matter how pathetic they are. Even if a guy gets through his entire life being a shmoe, there's still a time of accountability.[/quote]
Very true. I wouldn't hope that they would be harmed but if that would happen to them my sympathy would be lessened in that instance.

[quote name='guinaevere']In response to the overall theme of your ps3 tales, it makes me feel kinda guilty. The manager at my local EB held a pre-order slot for me. Not only that but while we were talking about the number of pre-orders (16) is more than the number alloted to the store for launch, so I was whining to him about having to get up early anyway to ensure I'll get one on 11-17, not to mention anytime before Christmas. And he tells me "nooooooo you don't."[/quote]
Completely different situation, IMO. You've paid for one and only one. It's yours to do with as you please. If the manager makes sure you get one because you're a good customer I don't see any problem with that either. It'd be different if you didn't preorder and just walked up 3 days before launch and were able to get one on hold. Your situation is just fine.

[quote name='B-Random!']If you are interested in him just ask him out. It is 2006, it isn't taboo to express interest in a man anymore (unless you are a man yourself, haha). [/quote] Tybee and I had been talking about this just recently, although the conversation revolved around another man. (Poor guy gets all my sob-stories.
blush.gif
) I'm simply not capable of taking a first step. Partly from upbringing, partly from insecurities, partly from not wanted to be rejected. It is not possible for me to suggest catching a movie with a guy.

I know men suffer the same fears. I am more than sympathetic to that, but I can't rewire who I am. =\

I'm sure a girl woman gamer is irresistable to a GS/EB manager
Ha! You haven't seen me in person. I'm very resistable. =P

and even if he/you aren't looking for romance
To be sure, I am definately not looking for anything other than good company and something to do every now and again.

And please don't think I'm being flippant with you, Random. I very much appreciate the positive attitude and support! I'm just not good in these sorts of things. I have a hard enough time maintaining eye-contact with someone I like and/or find attractive. >_<

[quote name='neocisco']my sympathy would be lessened in that instance.[/quote] Totally with ya.

because you're a good customer
I... I don't know if those are the best words to describe my partonige. But for arguements sake, we'll let it go.

It'd be different if you didn't preorder and just walked up 3 days before launch and were able to get one on hold.
Naw. I plan on trying that at CC Kennesaw. =P

So many women gamers in Atlanta -- add me to the list! This is very excellent and I'm glad to hear of it.

As to PS3 allocations, I tried calling a few Best Buys yesterday and the employees are truly clueless. So, since I used to work at a Best Buy, I emailed my former GM last night and I'm waiting to hear if he has any information for me. As soon as I know, I will let you guys know.

Come closer to the date, I will start calling various stores (or maybe go in person!) and try to find out allocations and will let you guys know.

However, I'm still waiting to hear if any of you are interested in lining up for the PS3!

Guinaevere, maybe he's just not that into you. J/k! I've always wanted to say that.

Just ask him to come over to your house and help set up your Playstation 3. Bat your eyes and say, it just seems so complex and difficult, do you think you could help? That way if he rejects you, it's not because he doesn't like you, it's because he's lazy.

[quote name='lawyeron']Guinaevere, maybe he's just not that into you. J/k! I've always wanted to say that.

Just ask him to come over to your house and help set up your Playstation 3. Bat your eyes and say, it just seems so complex and difficult, do you think you could help? That way if he rejects you, it's not because he doesn't like you, it's because he's lazy.[/quote]

Gold. I say go for it. Be like, "you want to come over and help me set it up and play with me?"

[quote name='B-Random!']Gold. I say go for it. Be like, "you want to come over and help me set it up and play with me?"[/quote]

"Play with me." That was classic. :applause:

[quote name='fatbollet']I guess I'm the only one who will dare go to the ulktr-ghetto austell Super Walmart. More PS3's for me, I guess....[/QUOTE]

I'm sure they'll be loaded with 600.00 PS3's there. Let me know how it goes, bro.

[quote name='fatbollet']I guess I'm the only one who will dare go to the ulktr-ghetto austell Super Walmart. More PS3's for me, I guess....[/QUOTE]

I hope you have a permit...

[quote name='tinyandi']"Play with me." That was classic. :applause:[/quote]

Yeah, I am all about subtly and innuendo. Not.

[quote name='tinyandi']So, no one wants to join me in camping for a PS3?[/quote]

I definitely do. Where were you planning on camping out? I think the Best Buy on Pleasant Hill would be our best bet. They have a midnight release, so that minimizes how long we are out in the freezing cold, and last year the BBs doing a midnight release all had 100+ systems. What are your thoughts?

@ rest of ATL CAGs, we really should organize a campout, I know some of us can be there earlier and start the line for people that cannot come before like 6PM, and you guys can just "come back with food" or something to that effect. I'm sure it will be fun.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']I hope you have a permit...[/quote]

I believe as long as you legally own the gun, you don't actually need a concealed carry permit to shoot someone dead during the commission of a forceable felony in GA. I could be wrong.

[quote name='tinyandi']So, no one wants to join me in camping for a PS3?[/quote]

By any chance is your name Christina Warren. I once knew a girl that worked at the Perimeter store in the computer upgrade dept. (now Geek Squad) and was really into gaming. This was back in 03. I meet her in college and she dropped out that same year and I never heard from her again.

Nope, sorry. Name's Andi. :) And I think Pleasanthill might work, especially if its near the Microcenter.

I did work at BB once, but back in Boca Raton, FL. And I'm still in school (law school), so no dropping out for me.

Hey everybody. This thread looks healthy. I am glad to see so many local fellow CAGs. I guess with two huge console launches being two days apart, now is the time for gamers to stick together.

Anyway, I live in Candler Park, near little five points. And I want a Wii! I really hope it's not going to be as hard to get one as the TRU crazies think it will be. (no offense if anyone here camped out that long). I was thinking about just hitting up some OTP Wal-marts around midnight and hoping for the best. Anybody have plans yet?

[quote name='TravistyOJ']Hey everybody. This thread looks healthy. I am glad to see so many local fellow CAGs. I guess with two huge console launches being two days apart, now is the time for gamers to stick together.

Anyway, I live in Candler Park, near little five points. And I want a Wii! I really hope it's not going to be as hard to get one as the TRU crazies think it will be. (no offense if anyone here camped out that long). I was thinking about just hitting up some OTP Wal-marts around midnight and hoping for the best. Anybody have plans yet?[/QUOTE]

Hey Trav. Welcome to the thread. You're actually near a bunch of us. I'm in Decatur and we have several folks in this part of town.

We're trying to get a Wii line together for a midnight WalMart launch. So far the locations under consideration are Lawrenceville Hwy and Kennesaw because they are large, high-traffic, newish stores that are open 24 hours. But we are open to suggestions.

I'm more paranoid than most in the thread and think it would be wise to start the line earlier in the day that Saturday, say around noon. After the TRU madness and the EB/GS lines (both of which had overnighters), I just feel like people are still underestimating the demand. Hell, the $535 online WalMart bundles sold out in minutes and the $700 Fry's bundle did the same in a matter of hours.

[quote name='Tybee']Hey Trav. Welcome to the thread. You're actually near a bunch of us. I'm in Decatur and we have several folks in this part of town.

We're trying to get a Wii line together for a midnight WalMart launch. So far the locations under consideration are Lawrenceville Hwy and Kennesaw because they are large, high-traffic, newish stores that are open 24 hours. But we are open to suggestions.

I'm more paranoid than most in the thread and think it would be wise to start the line earlier in the day that Saturday, say around noon. After the TRU madness and the EB/GS lines (both of which had overnighters), I just feel like people are still underestimating the demand. Hell, the $535 online WalMart bundles sold out in minutes and the $700 Fry's bundle did the same in a matter of hours.[/quote]

Cool, I was actually thinking about going to the north east ATL area, that way there is a WalMart near Gwinett Place, one on Lawrenceville-Suwanee, and one near the Mall of Georgia all really close to the interstate. I was thinking of just going there around 10PMish, but maybe I should go earlier. Will Walmart let people lineup in their store? It seems like with the launch numbers that WalMarts should be getting more Wiis than are demanded, but then again, since they are one of the only places open on midnight, they could probably get hit pretty hard. So how many CAGs are planning on getting a Wii on day one?

[quote name='TravistyOJ']Cool, I was actually thinking about going to the north east ATL area, that way there is a WalMart near Gwinett Place, one on Lawrenceville-Suwanee, and one near the Mall of Georgia all really close to the interstate. I was thinking of just going there around 10PMish, but maybe I should go earlier. Will Walmart let people lineup in their store? It seems like with the launch numbers that WalMarts should be getting more Wiis than are demanded, but then again, since they are one of the only places open on midnight, they could probably get hit pretty hard. So how many CAGs are planning on getting a Wii on day one?[/quote]

I am close to the Mall of Georgia (good god that place is huge and tacky) and I'm avoiding it for the midnight launch at Best Buy. Remember, last year they had over a hundred 360s at the locations for a midnight launch. Hopefully that will repeat this year.

[quote name='B-Random!']I am close to the Mall of Georgia (good god that place is huge and tacky) and I'm avoiding it for the midnight launch at Best Buy. Remember, last year they had over a hundred 360s at the locations for a midnight launch. Hopefully that will repeat this year.[/quote]

But the Best Buy midnight launch is for the PS3 right? I am looking to get a Wii.

OK show of hands whos camping out for a PS3 and whos camping out for a Wii

*raises his hand for a Wii

[quote name='TravistyOJ']But the Best Buy midnight launch is for the PS3 right? I am looking to get a Wii.

OK show of hands whos camping out for a PS3 and whos camping out for a Wii

*raises his hand for a Wii[/QUOTE]

*raises his hand for a Wii*

[quote name='tinyandi']So many women gamers in Atlanta -- add me to the list! This is very excellent and I'm glad to hear of it.[/quote] woohoo!! We have to stick together, andi. =)

However, I'm still waiting to hear if any of you are interested in lining up for the PS3!
As I mentioned, I really have no need. BUT if you guys do arrange a camp for the ps3, I'll swing by to meet y'all and maybe take some pics.
[quote name='lawyeron']Guinaevere, maybe he's just not that into you. J/k! I've always wanted to say that.[/quote] Go ahead and laugh (because it IS funny), but that's exactly my point. I'm just more curious than anything.

Just ask him to come over to your house and help set up your Playstation 3. Bat your eyes and say, it just seems so complex and difficult, do you think you could help?
..bwaHAHHAHAahhahaha!! Sorry.

I do the sweet act quite often when I'm asking for a favor. But if I asked him for help in setting it up and saying it was too difficult for me, he would laugh in my face. Not because he's mean, but because he knows me better than that.

[quote name='B-Random!']Gold. I say go for it. Be like, "you want to come over and help me set it up and play with me?"[/quote]Good gosh, I don't think that's quite the line I'd want to use.
blush.gif

[quote name='Tybee']We're trying to get a Wii line together for a midnight WalMart launch. So far the locations under consideration are Lawrenceville Hwy and Kennesaw because they are large, high-traffic, newish stores that are open 24 hours. But we are open to suggestions.[/quote] I'm casting my vote for Kennesaw as I actually know where it is. BUT I have something to throw into the ring...

I was speaking with a fellow at the new SupahTahget (whoops... new england accent slipping out again) in Acworth and as far as Targets are concerned, they are only being alloted ps3s and wiis according to their console sales for current gen systems. So, if the store has only sold 3 gamecubes, they're not getting any Wiis. If the've sold thousands of PS2s, they're getting a relatively high (around 20) ps3s. He was miffed because that store only JUST opened, and would be getting VERY few of both.

Again, this is only Target and Wally is probably doing things differently but I thought I'd mention it.

I'm more paranoid than most in the thread and think it would be wise to start the line earlier in the day that Saturday, say around noon. After the TRU madness and the EB/GS lines (both of which had overnighters), I just feel like people are still underestimating the demand.
I'm with ya on that, Tybee. I don't WANT to be sitting around waiting all day, but I will because that's the best bet at this point.

Hell, the $535 online WalMart bundles sold out in minutes
Did it really? I logged on around 3am to CAG that morning to check something, and saw that it had sold out by then. I had no idea if it sold out in minutes or just then, which would have been around 3 hours. Either way, I'm glad to see the Nintendo love coming around. =)

The one thing that has me concerned are the armed robberies that have been going on around here the past years. And it seems like every day I turn on the radio (i'm an AM listener), I hear of another robbery. I just... if lines aren't conspiciously patrolled, there's the makings of big problems.

Sorry to be a wet blanket, but it's just something that occured to me.

[quote name='guinaevere']

SupahTahget (whoops... new england accent slipping out again)
[/quote]

Haha, no way! Where are you from back north? I'm from Boston (Quincy) myself.

[quote name='guinaevere']
The one thing that has me concerned are the armed robberies that have been going on around here the past years. And it seems like every day I turn on the radio (i'm an AM listener), I hear of another robbery. I just... if lines aren't conspiciously patrolled, there's the makings of big problems.[/quote]

Exactly. Thanks for bringing that up guinaevere. Everyone, please, please, please be careful. Come strapped if you have a concealed carry permit, or a knife (under 3") if you don't, and come with friends, park near each other and see everyone off safely. Watch out for being followed home (that happened last year over the 360), and if you suspect something, don't hesitate to calll 911. Better overly safe, than robbed or dead.

For those seeking Wiis, they are on sale on samsclub.com all day. They are doing 25 at a time, and they had some up at 9:45am and then again at 11:00am. I hope this helps.

And we'll definitely put something together for the PS3! Safety in numbers, right?

The Sam's Club post above got me thinking about Costco ("mine" is at Perimeter). I found this link on their site. I also thought it was pretty funny that the information email is "[email protected].'

I found this post on the 1Up boards regarding what types of bundles Costco will be offering. Apparently the dude works there. The typos, etc., are not mine!

"I've been checking the skews at costco to see how many Wii's we are getting. It doesnt say yet but the price is going to be something like $333.99 but it's a bundle with two games and an extra controller. It doesnt say what games or if its two games not including wii sports or 1 game plus wii sports. Sorry I can't offer more information yet. I do know the games will be about $44 for the wii games. The PS3's are $53, just incase anyone was wondering. And the games our initial shipment is something like 15 per game. I'll try to update with more info later. I can't wait for the wii to come out."

[quote name='guinaevere']I'm casting my vote for Kennesaw as I actually know where it is. BUT I have something to throw into the ring...

I was speaking with a fellow at the new SupahTahget (whoops... new england accent slipping out again) in Acworth and as far as Targets are concerned, they are only being alloted ps3s and wiis according to their console sales for current gen systems. So, if the store has only sold 3 gamecubes, they're not getting any Wiis. If the've sold thousands of PS2s, they're getting a relatively high (around 20) ps3s. He was miffed because that store only JUST opened, and would be getting VERY few of both.

Again, this is only Target and Wally is probably doing things differently but I thought I'd mention it.[/quote]

Interesting, but like you say, WalMart will (hopefully) be using a different system.

I'm with ya on that, Tybee. I don't WANT to be sitting around waiting all day, but I will because that's the best bet at this point.

Exactly. What's worse: Sitting around for ~12 hours and getting a Wii or sitting around for ~8 and getting skunked?

The one thing that has me concerned are the armed robberies that have been going on around here the past years. And it seems like every day I turn on the radio (i'm an AM listener), I hear of another robbery. I just... if lines aren't conspiciously patrolled, there's the makings of big problems.

Sorry to be a wet blanket, but it's just something that occured to me.

That's why we're getting this lovely little group together: to watch each other's backs, both in terms of holding a space in line and for actual protection. Also, we're doing WalMart so we'll be inside in the layaway area, right? And if that's not enough reassurance, I'm 6'5", 255, so you will be safe with me.

[quote name='Mr. Wiggly']I found this post on the 1Up boards regarding what types of bundles Costco will be offering. Apparently the dude works there. The typos, etc., are not mine!

"I've been checking the skews at costco to see how many Wii's we are getting. It doesnt say yet but the price is going to be something like $333.99 but it's a bundle with two games and an extra controller. It doesnt say what games or if its two games not including wii sports or 1 game plus wii sports. Sorry I can't offer more information yet. I do know the games will be about $44 for the wii games. The PS3's are $53, just incase anyone was wondering. And the games our initial shipment is something like 15 per game. I'll try to update with more info later. I can't wait for the wii to come out."[/QUOTE]

There's actually a thread here about the Costco Wii bundle. I had not heard that it would come with an extra controller, but they are saying that one of the two packed-in games (one of which may or may not be Wii Sports) will be Zelda:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113194

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back