General Discussion for ATL CAGs In Memoriam Matthew Cherry

Status
Not open for further replies.

organicow

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
Hey guys, I figured since we totally hijacked that DS Lite thread to talk about everything from cider to live local music....we might as well have a dedicated thread for it. Especially since I think we definitely have the most robust discussions in the Southeast CAG forum!

I'll kick it off by describing my recent EB experience:

I hit the Northlake EB (the one with the cool manager) today to grab some B2G1 goodness. I ended up getting Marvel vs. Capcom 2 (XB), RE2 (GC), and RE3 (GC), all complete and mint for 86.65. Considering that MvC2 goes for $50-60 on ebay, I thought this to be a pretty good purchase! As I was leaving, the manager guy told me that the North Dekalb store had some rare shit right now too, and that I should check it out. What a nice guy!

Anyway, I f'n hate that EB, but I figured it was worth a trip (its not that far from home). I ended up getting complete mint copies of REZ (PS2), LoZ Promo disc (GC, the one with Master Quest), and Cubivore (GC) for $72.20. Cool.

I also got 3 used DS games (preparing for the Lite on Sun) for B2G1. All three of the games (Trauma Center, Advance Wars, and MarioKart) were complete. But, somehow, as the dipshit was ringing me up, the Trauma manual somehow disappeared from the box! Since they insist upon slapping those damned clear stickers on the edges at sale time, I didn't notice the missing manual until I was on the way home. Jackasses!! Well, they had another complete used copy, so hopefully they can help me out tomorrow....but I'm not counting on it.

In the meantime, this dude with a baby was trading in 20 Xbox games (and getting ripped off, I might add), and the clueless employees there couldn't seem to get it all worked out. That poor bastard must've been there for about 45 minutes, and still hadn't gotten the right trade in credit. UGH.

My two trips today really showed me how utterly opposed two EBs within a few miles of one another could really be. And that is why I always go out to Northlake!

/rant

On to more beer talk!! :cool:

[quote name='El Gray']After the last-minute surprise of FREE GAME with the DS Lite, I don't plan on pre-ordering anywhere. I'll go down the street to Edgewood, and get it at BB, Target, or EB. I do hope to get one at or near launch.[/QUOTE]

I've never preordered simply because I've never seen the point, even for something like this where there is a genuine chance of shortages (though probably not if Nintendo puts out 4 million before the end of the year, as they're saying they will). But there will always be eBay assholes, and that means all bets are off, especially as far as getting it in the first couple weeks.

That said, I really don't think there will be any deals along the lines of the free Brain Age with DS Lite. That was for a re-release of an existing system and was more to create awareness. Retailers know people are going to be lined up for the Wii and PS3 and hence have no motivation to offer deals. New consoles beget bundle rip-offs, not deals.

My plan is to get the console itself on launch day wherever I can, then use as many GGCs as I can to get an extra remote, nunchuku, and a couple games at BB.

[quote name='Tybee']Hey guys,

Just curious about who here is planning to pick up a Wii at launch. Where do you plan to get it? Are you preordering? All-nighting? I want it on day 1, but I'm not sure how to go about it. Except for portables, this will be the first console I'm going after on launch day. Gwen, I noticed you've been active in some of the Wii pre-order threads. What are your plans? Maybe we should start organizing.[/QUOTE]
I had been planning to pre-order my Wii at the Northlake Mall EB, but I decided a few weeks back that it wasn't such a great idea. See, my house has been for sale, and I knew that I'd likely be moved (I'm going to San Francisco) before the Wii launch. Boy am I glad I pre-ordered from Amazon instead; sure as shit, my house sold yesterday (!!!!), and I'll be moving to SF in about 3 weeks.

And yes, I am officially panicking about moving 2000+ miles away.;)

[quote name='organicow']I had been planning to pre-order my Wii at the Northlake Mall EB, but I decided a few weeks back that it wasn't such a great idea. See, my house has been for sale, and I knew that I'd likely be moved (I'm going to San Francisco) before the Wii launch. Boy am I glad I pre-ordered from Amazon instead; sure as shit, my house sold yesterday (!!!!), and I'll be moving to SF in about 3 weeks.

And yes, I am officially panicking about moving 2000+ miles away.;)[/QUOTE]

Congrats!! I'm from the Bay Area (Antioch), and I miss it terribly. It's much nicer out there than Georgia, albeit more expensive....

Make sure you don't forget about us and visit this thread, even though you'll be 3,000 miles away!!

I'm hoping Gamestop/EB do a real pre-order, unlike that garbage they're pushing out in Hawaii.

I've never pre-ordered a system, but I want one on the release day and I really don't want to be running around searching for one or standing in line all night at a Best Buy.

[quote name='organicow']I had been planning to pre-order my Wii at the Northlake Mall EB, but I decided a few weeks back that it wasn't such a great idea. See, my house has been for sale, and I knew that I'd likely be moved (I'm going to San Francisco) before the Wii launch. Boy am I glad I pre-ordered from Amazon instead; sure as shit, my house sold yesterday (!!!!), and I'll be moving to SF in about 3 weeks.

And yes, I am officially panicking about moving 2000+ miles away.;)[/QUOTE]

Hey, congrats man. I'd be panicking too. I almost lost my shit moving to SC, so I know you're tense. Moving out there for a job? We'll be sorry to see you go.

San Francisco is going to hurt the wallet, but its a nice place. I was originally slated for a 6 month project out there, but the travel would have killed me. The wife and I might plan a trip out there next year.

As for the Wii I had EB and GR credit set aside to preorder it, but the morning I saw it on Amazon I said screw it and preordered it. I figure I can use the credit on games later on for the 360/Wii. I hate preordering anything, but with only a million units I am not planning on taking a day off to stand in line or anything crazy like that. If Eb does a straight up preorder I plan on grabbing one from there as well. Figure the first one that comes in I will keep. Sell the second to a friend...

Well, apparently Amazon will be taking more pre-orders when they get their alottment numbers from Nintendo, so maybe I'll do that. Then I'll just get games and accessories at the B&M's.

I'll be preordering at Edgewood whenever that is announced -- gotta love that half block walk. If theres a problem, there's always BB and Target right there. The Target was pretty unprepared to sell DS Lites on launch day, and apparently rightly so -- I was the only one there, it was like 830 am, and they hadn't even brought it out of the stockroom yet. So while there'd probably be a higher demand and bigger pressure for Target to 'have it together' at Wii launch, I don't think there will be too much stress getting one from that area.

[quote name='simple']I'll be preordering at Edgewood whenever that is announced -- gotta love that half block walk. If theres a problem, there's always BB and Target right there. The Target was pretty unprepared to sell DS Lites on launch day, and apparently rightly so -- I was the only one there, it was like 830 am, and they hadn't even brought it out of the stockroom yet. So while there'd probably be a higher demand and bigger pressure for Target to 'have it together' at Wii launch, I don't think there will be too much stress getting one from that area.[/QUOTE]

Probably right. More people in Edgewood are worried about scoring weed than video games, methinks. ;)

But I'm boycotting EB/GS for the whole $50 trade-in preorder debacle anyway. Even if it's just in Hawaii, the fact that they're considering such a thing makes me never want to give them my money again.

Anyone know whether the Roswell Compusa started to blow out their inventory? I haven't been there for awhile, but its on the store closure list.

GR's seem to have received the pink/black ds lites if you have credit to burn...

[quote name='kjauburn']Anyone know whether the Roswell Compusa started to blow out their inventory? I haven't been there for awhile, but its on the store closure list.

GR's seem to have received the pink/black ds lites if you have credit to burn...[/quote]
I remember seeing a man with a sign saying the Roswell Compusa was closing/blowing out inventory a few weeks ago. So probably a while.

[quote name='Ubiiquitous']I'm bumping this bad boy up. There's got to be something going on in the ATL.[/QUOTE]
Sure is. I'm hitting neocisco's CC this friday to see what they've got. Ain't that exciting?

*snores*

I've basically halted all game purchasing at this point and have begun allocating Wii funds. So not much of anything going on around here right now. Football and Lego Star Wars II should keep me occupied for a while. ;)

Did anyone else almost have a coronary watching the Georgia/Colorado game?

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Anyone lucky enough to snag a 1/2 price 360 at Borders?[/QUOTE]

I've never seen a video game at a Borders in Georgia, much less a console.

My friend's mother works at a Borders, and I haven't heard anything about half-priced 360s. Her son is a total XBox nut w/o a 360, so you'd think she would pick it up for him.

[quote name='Tybee']I've basically halted all game purchasing at this point and have begun allocating Wii funds. So not much of anything going on around here right now. Football and Lego Star Wars II should keep me occupied for a while. ;)

Did anyone else almost have a coronary watching the Georgia/Colorado game?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it was friggin' ridiculous. I was incredibly glad they won, but they really deserved to lose. That was pathetic. One bright note: Cox looked really good. I hate to say it, but I was glad Joe T got injured. He's not that great a QB. Stafford has an amazing arm, but he's not ready for full-time duty yet. Perhaps next year.

Anyone hear what happened to David Pollack? Broke his neck and out for year. A shame.....

[quote name='Ubiiquitous']Yeah, it was friggin' ridiculous. I was incredibly glad they won, but they really deserved to lose. That was pathetic. One bright note: Cox looked really good. I hate to say it, but I was glad Joe T got injured. He's not that great a QB. Stafford has an amazing arm, but he's not ready for full-time duty yet. Perhaps next year.[/quote]

I'm with you there. Joe T. is obviously an incredibly nice guy, but he doesn't have the talent or the killer instinct to be a starting QB. I think it's still a tossup between Stafford and Cox. Half the problem with Stafford is the receivers don't seem prepared for his arm. But these are the problems you want. Two freshman QBs with loads of talent. I totally agree with Richt's strategy of starting one until he gets into trouble, then swapping in the other. Repeat as necessary until one demonstrates he's ready for the job full time. Keep Joe T. on the bench for emergencies and to signal plays. ;)

Anyone hear what happened to David Pollack? Broke his neck and out for year. A shame.....

I saw that. Cochese's avatar reminded me. It's so sad. I've never enjoyed watching UGA as much as when he and Green were playing. Unfortunately, the way I've heard it, he's out for more than a year. His football career may be over. Somewhere, Lee Corso is weeping.

[quote name='Tybee']I'm with you there. Joe T. is obviously an incredibly nice guy, but he doesn't have the talent or the killer instinct to be a starting QB. I think it's still a tossup between Stafford and Cox. Half the problem with Stafford is the receivers don't seem prepared for his arm. But these are the problems you want. Two freshman QBs with loads of talent. I totally agree with Richt's strategy of starting one until he gets into trouble, then swapping in the other. Repeat as necessary until one demonstrates he's ready for the job full time. Keep Joe T. on the bench for emergencies and to signal plays. ;)

I saw that. Cochese's avatar reminded me. It's so sad. I've never enjoyed watching UGA as much as when he and Green were playing. Unfortunately, the way I've heard it, he's out for more than a year. His football career may be over. Somewhere, Lee Corso is weeping.[/QUOTE]

Last I heard, he was jumping around and 'Being David' in the hospital room, according to Marvin Lewis.

Confirmed (9/18): They expect him to be ready in plenty of time for the 2007 season.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Last I heard, he was jumping around and 'Being David' in the hospital room, according to Marvin Lewis.

Confirmed (9/18): They expect him to be ready in plenty of time for the 2007 season.[/QUOTE]

Hey Cochese, when did you put your avatar up? I was just wondering if it was your version of the "Madden Curse"... ;) j/k, by the way...

P.S. How is you family? Still doing to stay-at-home dad thing? Hope you and your family are well!!

[quote name='Ubiiquitous']Hey Cochese, when did you put your avatar up? I was just wondering if it was your version of the "Madden Curse"... ;) j/k, by the way...

P.S. How is you family? Still doing to stay-at-home dad thing? Hope you and your family are well!![/QUOTE]

Put it up about two weeks ago, after it happened. Doing great, got a girl in my hands right now. We need some extra money, I posted for help trying to find some WFH jobs. Needless to say, games don't happen unless I hit Rhino's deal.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Put it up about two weeks ago, after it happened. Doing great, got a girl in my hands right now. We need some extra money, I posted for help trying to find some WFH jobs. Needless to say, games don't happen unless I hit Rhino's deal.[/QUOTE]

I hear that, man. If I hear anything, I'll let you know. Hope it all works out for you!

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Last I heard, he was jumping around and 'Being David' in the hospital room, according to Marvin Lewis.

Confirmed (9/18): They expect him to be ready in plenty of time for the 2007 season.[/QUOTE]
Random story:
I used to be Pollack's boss. Yup, that's right. And now he could stomp my ass in two seconds just for fun.

Back when Pollack was a Junior & Senior in HS (he went to my old HS, too), he worked as a dishwasher at Stone Mountain Pizza Cafe. I was the manager at the time, and I had this other kid (Taylor Cox - a not-as-famous player) washing dishes for us. One day, Taylor came in with this fucking enormous dude and said, "This is my buddy David - can you give him a job?" Actually, we did need another dishwasher, so I hired him.
He worked for me for a while, and then went off to school at GA. The next time I saw him, I was sitting in a bar in the Highlands watching a GA game about 2 years later and I about passed out when I saw his ass on TV.

I'm really glad he's gonna be alright. He never really seemed to have much goin' on in the ol' noggin, but he was always nice as shit.

/my silly story

[quote name='organicow']Random story:
I used to be Pollack's boss. Yup, that's right. And now he could stomp my ass in two seconds just for fun.

Back when Pollack was a Junior & Senior in HS (he went to my old HS, too), he worked as a dishwasher at Stone Mountain Pizza Cafe. I was the manager at the time, and I had this other kid (Taylor Cox - a not-as-famous player) washing dishes for us. One day, Taylor came in with this fucking enormous dude and said, "This is my buddy David - can you give him a job?" Actually, we did need another dishwasher, so I hired him.
He worked for me for a while, and then went off to school at GA. The next time I saw him, I was sitting in a bar in the Highlands watching a GA game about 2 years later and I about passed out when I saw his ass on TV.

I'm really glad he's gonna be alright. He never really seemed to have much goin' on in the ol' noggin, but he was always nice as shit.

/my silly story[/QUOTE]

Was that the place right behind Best Buy on East Park Place???

[quote name='Ubiiquitous']Was that the place right behind Best Buy on East Park Place???[/QUOTE]
Yes sir. In '01 I ditched Stone Mountain and became the manager of the "sister" store, Avondale Pizza Cafe. My sister-in-law currently works at the 'new' Stone Mountain Pizza Cafe part time.

I can honestly say that I threw doughballs at David Pollack.:cool: ;)

[quote name='organicow']Yes sir. In '01 I ditched Stone Mountain and became the manager of the "sister" store, Avondale Pizza Cafe. My sister-in-law currently works at the 'new' Stone Mountain Pizza Cafe part time.

I can honestly say that I threw doughballs at David Pollack.:cool: ;)[/QUOTE]

Dude, I used to work at that Best Buy right there in college. Went to that place quite a bit. Hell, I might have even talked to you before. Small world....

The Swap USA in Discover Mills mall is switching from Video Games to gambling supplies, and are clearing out their gaming stuff. I *may* have seen some games behind the counter, but I'm not sure.
However, they have TONS of guides marked down to $1.99. A lot of shit, but there is some treasure in there (And a Xenosaga 2 guide for $9.).
I got a Misadventures of Tron Bonne guide and a PN 03 (Just to have the game AND guide) for $4 total.
Worth a look if you're in the area.

[quote name='sprintsucks5892']The Swap USA in Discover Mills mall is switching from Video Games to gambling supplies, and are clearing out their gaming stuff. I *may* have seen some games behind the counter, but I'm not sure.
However, they have TONS of guides marked down to $1.99. A lot of shit, but there is some treasure in there (And a Xenosaga 2 guide for $9.).
I got a Misadventures of Tron Bonne guide and a PN 03 (Just to have the game AND guide) for $4 total.
Worth a look if you're in the area.[/quote]
Discover Mills is a little too far for me but if anybody can find any guides on my list I would be more than willing to pay for them to be shipped to me plus a $1 extra for each guide. Not a huge incentive, I know, but if anybody can help me out I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

GUIDES

Battlefield 1942
Battlefield 1942: The Road to Rome
Battlefield 1942: Secret Weapons of World War II
C-12: Final Resistance
Crimson Sea-Xbox
Crimson Sea 2-PS2
Dynasty Warriors 4-PS2
Dynasty Warriors 5: Empires-360
Flatout
Freedom Force
Galerians
Gladiator: Sword of Vengeance-Xbox
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets-GC
Hitman: Codename 47-PC
Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction
Kingdom Under Fire: Crusaders
Kingdom Under Fire: Heroes
Metroid Prime
Naval Ops: Commander
Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2-PS2
No One Lives Forever-PS2
Pirates: The Legend of Black Kat-PS2
Pro Race Driver-PS2
Rise of the Kasai
Sub Rebellion
Sum of All Fears-PC
The Thing-PS2

So now that the EB/GS Wii preorder plans are on the table, is anyone planning to show up Friday morning? Thought I might hit Edgewood and see what's what. Then I'll just have to pick up games and accessories on launch day.

Yep, I'll be visiting Gamestop/EB tomorrow morning. Did anyone participate in the PS3 lineups in Kennesaw? I'm curious how long the lines got around here.

[quote name='rupan_sansei']Did anyone participate in the PS3 lineups in Kennesaw? I'm curious how long the lines got around here.[/QUOTE]
Um... what? Lines? Where? As in WHERE in Kennesaw?

Speaking of Kennesaw, I met NeoCisco yesterday. Bought a strategy guide off of him. What a great guy!! =D

I'll probably walk down to the EB at Edgewood at well around 10. I'm working from home in the morning, so it'll be a nice break. I'm not expecting a line, but who knows!

Well, there will be at least two of us there. He wouldn't give me a firm number on the number they're alotting, but said it was small. I suggested around 15 and he said that sounded about right.

I'll probably get there between 8:00 and 9:00 and hang out in the car unless an actual line starts to form.

Only 15?? If all this talk about underestimated production is true, then it should be more than 15.

I was in the Edgewood EB last night and asked them about their PS3 preorders. The (cute) girl said that people were lined up when the employees arrived at 10am. One guy in line claimed he showed up at 2am. They sold out of preorders immediately. Sheesh.

Also, are any of you headed to the Nintendo Fusion Tour at the Tabernacle tomorrow night? I thought about going, but a friend of mine magically received tickets to the Florida/Auburn game, so I'll be headed out of town. I'll be interested to hear how it goes.

[quote name='Gator']Only 15?? If all this talk about underestimated production is true, then it should be more than 15.

I was in the Edgewood EB last night and asked them about their PS3 preorders. The (cute) girl said that people were lined up when the employees arrived at 10am. One guy in line claimed he showed up at 2am. They sold out of preorders immediately. Sheesh.

Also, are any of you headed to the Nintendo Fusion Tour at the Tabernacle tomorrow night? I thought about going, but a friend of mine magically received tickets to the Florida/Auburn game, so I'll be headed out of town. I'll be interested to hear how it goes.[/QUOTE]

The general feeling seems to be that Nintendo is holding back the majority of systems for the Walmarts, Targets, TRUs, and Best Buys of the world, which fits with the system's broader appeal and "Hot Toy" status. And don't forget online retailers. That and they will probably be sending more frequent shipments to GS/EB post launch. You can rest assured all of those extra units we've been hearing about won't just be sitting in a warehouse, that's for sure.

My theory is that even with those high numbers, GS/EB is intentionally understating the Wii numbers they will get at launch, partly to avoid the 360 debacle, and partly to ensure more on hand for people walking in off the street, i.e., like the normal Christmas shoppers and perhaps a few gamers who didn't think they wanted one until 5 minutes after it arrived.

Got to Edgewood around 7:15 only to discover I was 15th in line and the store had 14 alotted for pre-order. *grumble* The earliest guys (Tech students) had gotten there around 2 am and reportedly set up a tent. They maintained a written list of who arrived when, which kept things orderly. I hung around til 10:00 just in case there was a mistake in the number, but no dice. She did advise the SOL's that they quite possibly would be getting more for launch and that we should try calling every evening to see what the deal is. She also said all online preorders would be bundles and that no other B&M retailers would be doing preorders.

There were about 15-20 people in line behind me, not including 10 or so people who walked (and who knows how many driving) by and said screw it. There were a couple of the same people there who had been there earlier in the week for the PS3 pre-order (including one of the guys who actually got one), and they said that there were only 12 people there for that.

Anyone else have any luck? Around 8:00 I asked if anyone there was a CAG but only one or two people even knew what I was talking about. Were you there, simple?

[quote name='sprintsucks5892']The Swap USA in Discover Mills mall is switching from Video Games to gambling supplies, and are clearing out their gaming stuff. I *may* have seen some games behind the counter, but I'm not sure.[/quote]
I spoke with the fellow working yesterday, and most of the games are gone (they've been selling their inventory on eBay). They do still have some N64 titles "out back" and if you're looking for a specific game, give them a call to see if they have what you're looking for.

I asked about a complete 3DO system, which he said they also still have for $40, but I know I can beat that price.

A lot of sports titles at this point. I had fun looking through the bin and straightening everything out (I'm a neat-a-fier, if I'm rummaging through something I naturally straighten the stuff up as I go), but didn't see much.

ha! I was looking at those two as well. Tron Bonne not so much, but I was tempted to pick up Vanessa, but not at $3.99 just for the sake of having it. I've used a faq to get every possible outfit/upgrade already.

I also debated picking up Dino Crisis 1 & 2 guides, again because I enjoyed the games (one more than two), and partly because my old friend Dan Birlew wrote the second one. But I'm trying to clear out stuff I don't need

Worth a look if you're in the area.
Definately!

Just a word of caution. If you stop to buy your Mother a coffee at Joe Mugs at Books a Million across the hall, try not to let the older gentleman start talking to you about coffee. I got a 7-minute education about coffee beans, was given different coffee beans to smell, and was offered all sorts of cookies to take. The nicest man, but I had a hard time getting away from there.

Cisco, all I was able to find for you was The Thing strat guide. If you want to shoot me a PM as when it'd be okay to bring it by, that would be great.

[quote name='Tybee']Got to Edgewood around 7:15 only to discover I was 15th in line and the store had 14 alotted for pre-order. *grumble* The earliest guys (Tech students) had gotten there around 2 am and reportedly set up a tent. [/QUOTE]
For the Wii??? It's not that I'm not happy as all get out that folks are this excited about Nintendo, but dang!

Hit gold at the Gamestop in Kennesaw of Barrett Parkway by the new Super Wal-Mart. Was #3 in line at 8:10am. They had 10 systems. A few folks were sent away.

People were saying the other Gamestop just around the corner by the Barnes & Noble was packed with people.

Wow... glad I didn't bother going to Edgewood. I wouldn't have been there that early, despite my proximity!

I'll plan to get one at a big box store on launch, or thereabouts.

Dang, that's just awesome! I got off the phone with the local DM and the Wii preorders sold out in her district by 10 am.

The reason I'm so shocked was because I strolled into my local EB tuesday having forgot all about the ps3 preorder on Monday, and was able to pre-order mine tuesday afternoon. I hadn't realized they reserved one slot for me... I just thought there wasn't the big rush everyone had expected.
blush.gif

My store rocks, I tell you.

That same afternoon some kid was all excited about the Mortal Kombat and the poster he was able to get. Hearing about a poster, I chimed up, "oh, is there one for me?" The kid tells me you only were able to get one if you pre-ordered the special edition. The AM says, "no she doesn't." The kid begins, "What? I thought it was only for-" The AM interrupts, "No. SHE doesn't."
smile_eager.gif

So I also asked about the neato Tales of the Abyss cell which is really what caught my eye, and got that as well. They're too good in there.

What I can't figure out is the DM. That's her anchor store, and by all impressions, she's not terribly keen on me. But when the store manager asks for her to keep an eye out for something for me (like the KHII hearts standee) she goes all out to find it. It's not as if she doesn't know the requests are for me, because she'll keep me updated on whatever it is whenever I see her in the store... *shrugs*

I guess it's just me, I'm intimidated by go go go business women. Even during my corporate years, I just could never identify with that sort of personality. Folks would come into my office and smile at my toys displayed on desks and shelves.

eh... end of ramble. apologies.

[quote name='Tybee']Got to Edgewood around 7:15 only to discover I was 15th in line and the store had 14 alotted for pre-order. *grumble* The earliest guys (Tech students) had gotten there around 2 am and reportedly set up a tent. They maintained a written list of who arrived when, which kept things orderly. I hung around til 10:00 just in case there was a mistake in the number, but no dice. She did advise the SOL's that they quite possibly would be getting more for launch and that we should try calling every evening to see what the deal is. She also said all online preorders would be bundles and that no other B&M retailers would be doing preorders.

There were about 15-20 people in line behind me, not including 10 or so people who walked (and who knows how many driving) by and said screw it. There were a couple of the same people there who had been there earlier in the week for the PS3 pre-order (including one of the guys who actually got one), and they said that there were only 12 people there for that.

Anyone else have any luck? Around 8:00 I asked if anyone there was a CAG but only one or two people even knew what I was talking about. Were you there, simple?[/QUOTE]

That sucks, but you should be fine to get one at Best Buy, provided you camp out the night before. My theory is for the PS3 and Wii releases is your going to have to do some sort of "camping". Whether it be for the pre-order at EB/GS/WM etc., or the actual purchase in November at places that don't do pre-orders (i.e. Best Buy, CC(?)). I would rather "camp" at Best Buy, because (1) they will get the highest quantity and (2) EB/GS make me nervous when it comes to pre-orders. In the past with games and systems, they seem to not get as many as they originally thought, so people who pre-ordered months in advance are still without their product on day 1......

Just my theory, but it's all good no matter which way a person does it. ;)

[quote name='guinaevere']Dang, that's just awesome! I got off the phone with the local DM and the Wii preorders sold out in her district by 10 am.

The reason I'm so shocked was because I strolled into my local EB tuesday having forgot all about the ps3 preorder on Monday, and was able to pre-order mine tuesday afternoon. I hadn't realized they reserved one slot for me... I just thought there wasn't the big rush everyone had expected.
blush.gif

My store rocks, I tell you.

That same afternoon some kid was all excited about the Mortal Kombat and the poster he was able to get. Hearing about a poster, I chimed up, "oh, is there one for me?" The kid tells me you only were able to get one if you pre-ordered the special edition. The AM says, "no she doesn't." The kid begins, "What? I thought it was only for-" The AM interrupts, "No. SHE doesn't."
smile_eager.gif

So I also asked about the neato Tales of the Abyss cell which is really what caught my eye, and got that as well. They're too good in there.

What I can't figure out is the DM. That's her anchor store, and by all impressions, she's not terribly keen on me. But when the store manager asks for her to keep an eye out for something for me (like the KHII hearts standee) she goes all out to find it. It's not as if she doesn't know the requests are for me, because she'll keep me updated on whatever it is whenever I see her in the store... *shrugs*

I guess it's just me, I'm intimidated by go go go business women. Even during my corporate years, I just could never identify with that sort of personality. Folks would come into my office and smile at my toys displayed on desks and shelves.

eh... end of ramble. apologies.[/QUOTE]

That's a cool story. Wish I had that kind of relationship with my local stores.....

Which store is that? On the North side??? Probably so, I'm guessing. The stores in the South/East Gwinnett area where I live don't seem to work that way, usually.. Anyway, good for you!!

[quote name='Ubiiquitous']That sucks, but you should be fine to get one at Best Buy, provided you camp out the night before. My theory is for the PS3 and Wii releases is your going to have to do some sort of "camping". Whether it be for the pre-order at EB/GS/WM etc., or the actual purchase in November at places that don't do pre-orders (i.e. Best Buy, CC(?)). I would rather "camp" at Best Buy, because (1) they will get the highest quantity and (2) EB/GS make me nervous when it comes to pre-orders. In the past with games and systems, they seem to not get as many as they originally thought, so people who pre-ordered months in advance are still without their product on day 1......

Just my theory, but it's all good no matter which way a person does it. ;)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I just didn't want to have to camp TWICE. :roll: When I came walking up they looked at me like I was the saddest leper they'd ever seen. "Duuuuude. Sucks to be you."

One of the guys in line this morning said that his friend works at the Edgewood BB and that they would be getting, I believe, 58 Wiis. I'll be honest and admit that I forget the exact number he said. But he seemed very sure about it and acted like it was common knowledge. Whatever. My plan at this point is to hit a 24-hour Wal-Mart on Saturday night, then if that doesn't pan out, camp at the Best Buy or Target at Edgewood bright and early (a.k.a. 2 fucking AM) Sunday morning.

[quote name='Tybee']Yeah, I just didn't want to have to camp TWICE. :roll: When I came walking up they looked at me like I was the saddest leper they'd ever seen. "Duuuuude. Sucks to be you."

One of the guys in line this morning said that his friend works at the Edgewood BB and that they would be getting, I believe, 58 Wiis. I'll be honest and admit that I forget the exact number he said. But he seemed very sure about it and acted like it was common knowledge. Whatever. My plan at this point is to hit a 24-hour Wal-Mart on Saturday night, then if that doesn't pan out, camp at the Best Buy or Target at Edgewood bright and early (a.k.a. 2 fucking AM) Sunday morning.[/QUOTE]

I did that for the PS2 back in 2000 at the Stone Mountain Best Buy. It was pretty cold, but, honestly, I had a lot of fun. I was there with a couple of friends, and the waiting and anticipation made it worthwhile.

Your Wal-Mart idea might be the best. Would they just put it on sale at Midnight? I would think so. That would eliminate the need to camp....

[quote name='Ubiiquitous']I did that for the PS2 back in 2000 at the Stone Mountain Best Buy. It was pretty cold, but, honestly, I had a lot of fun. I was there with a couple of friends, and the waiting and anticipation made it worthwhile.

Your Wal-Mart idea might be the best. Would they just put it on sale at Midnight? I would think so. That would eliminate the need to camp....[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but the catch there is that everything just timeshifts backwards. So people will start camping there Saturday morning, I imagine.

I think it would be a good idea for us to organize, if only to head off the same frustration I went through this morning. Might also be a good excuse to have a meet. Is anyone else planning to get the Wii on Nov. 19?

[quote name='Ubiiquitous']Which store is that? On the North side??? Probably so, I'm guessing. The stores in the South/East Gwinnett area where I live don't seem to work that way, usually.. Anyway, good for you!![/QUOTE]
Sadly some of the stores I've visited have folks working that really have no real interest in their customers.

I'm actually out west towards Douglasville & Paulding County.

And thanks! =)

[quote name='Tybee']I think it would be a good idea for us to organize, if only to head off the same frustration I went through this morning. Might also be a good excuse to have a meet. Is anyone else planning to get the Wii on Nov. 19?[/quote]
You betchya. I was planning on picking one up at a Sam's Club, unless they only have absurd bundles.

But I'd be up for camping out with some fellow CAGs, definately. Don't think I'm paranoid, but I'd actually prefer that than waiting during dark hours of the night or morning with total strangers. It just sounds a tad safer. Of course, having met almost none of you, I could be totally wrong. =P

And to answer Ubii's question about 24 hour Wal-Marts who sell at 12am, Tybee is absolutely correct. There will be people waiting as early as 6pm Saturday night in the Layaway area.

[quote name='Tybee']Yeah, but the catch there is that everything just timeshifts backwards. So people will start camping there Saturday morning, I imagine.

I think it would be a good idea for us to organize, if only to head off the same frustration I went through this morning. Might also be a good excuse to have a meet. Is anyone else planning to get the Wii on Nov. 19?[/QUOTE]

Wal-mart is an easy choice: you're most likely inside, people with you can go buy you chips and Vault to keep you comfy, hell, you could even snah a chair from Lawn & Garden. That sounds easy to me. Plus, no overnight crap.

BTW, isn't WW getting rid of their layways?

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Wal-mart is an easy choice: you're most likely inside, people with you can go buy you chips and Vault to keep you comfy, hell, you could even snah a chair from Lawn & Garden. That sounds easy to me. Plus, no overnight crap.

BTW, isn't WW getting rid of their layways?[/quote]

Yeah, I got my 360 at the 24 hr Walmart at lawrenceville HWy. Went on sale at Midnight. People would volunteer to make runs to the Mcdonalds inside, get red bull, get candy, beef jerky, etc. It was like a group strangers became best friends over a system launch. Nobody ran off with people's money. It was beautiful. Unfortunately my father hates videogames and refused to even come to take my seat so I could stretch my legs or get something to eat for an hour and the worst part we live five minutes from the walmart and he is retired with all the time in the world (asshole). Not the first time in my life that I have been served by strangers well. I had a friend who got his PS2 at launch at the BB at Northlake and people were cutting in line (especially by big,buff guys), trying to hustle people, etc etc. I'm sorry to much shit can happen that will make that camp out a waste of time.

BTW I'm 110% sure that 24 hr Walmarts will have a Wii/Ps3 sale at midnight. It should be announced on their Sunday flyer the weekend before. Wii I will arrive around 10am (18th). Ps3 I will arrive about 7am (16th).

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back