General Discussion for ATL CAGs In Memoriam Matthew Cherry

Status
Not open for further replies.

organicow

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
Hey guys, I figured since we totally hijacked that DS Lite thread to talk about everything from cider to live local music....we might as well have a dedicated thread for it. Especially since I think we definitely have the most robust discussions in the Southeast CAG forum!

I'll kick it off by describing my recent EB experience:

I hit the Northlake EB (the one with the cool manager) today to grab some B2G1 goodness. I ended up getting Marvel vs. Capcom 2 (XB), RE2 (GC), and RE3 (GC), all complete and mint for 86.65. Considering that MvC2 goes for $50-60 on ebay, I thought this to be a pretty good purchase! As I was leaving, the manager guy told me that the North Dekalb store had some rare shit right now too, and that I should check it out. What a nice guy!

Anyway, I f'n hate that EB, but I figured it was worth a trip (its not that far from home). I ended up getting complete mint copies of REZ (PS2), LoZ Promo disc (GC, the one with Master Quest), and Cubivore (GC) for $72.20. Cool.

I also got 3 used DS games (preparing for the Lite on Sun) for B2G1. All three of the games (Trauma Center, Advance Wars, and MarioKart) were complete. But, somehow, as the dipshit was ringing me up, the Trauma manual somehow disappeared from the box! Since they insist upon slapping those damned clear stickers on the edges at sale time, I didn't notice the missing manual until I was on the way home. Jackasses!! Well, they had another complete used copy, so hopefully they can help me out tomorrow....but I'm not counting on it.

In the meantime, this dude with a baby was trading in 20 Xbox games (and getting ripped off, I might add), and the clueless employees there couldn't seem to get it all worked out. That poor bastard must've been there for about 45 minutes, and still hadn't gotten the right trade in credit. UGH.

My two trips today really showed me how utterly opposed two EBs within a few miles of one another could really be. And that is why I always go out to Northlake!

/rant

On to more beer talk!! :cool:

Hello greater ATL people,

i live in the Tucker area but if any of you see a new or excellently used copy of Phantasy Star Online 1&2 plus, Prince of Persia: SOT, or
BeyondGoodandEvil please pass the word on to me. Thanks

I figured this was the best place to ask,

Has anyone heard anything more about a Frys being built in Alpharetta?

Let me know.

[quote name='SeanAmI122886']I figured this was the best place to ask,

Has anyone heard anything more about a Frys being built in Alpharetta?

Let me know.[/QUOTE]
Yep. It's supposed to be just north of the Wal-Mart Supercenter at Hwy. 9 / Windward. Not sure when it's opening.

FYI...Best Buy stores got a new shipment of Unreal Championship 2: The Liandri Conflict for the XBOX this week. They are only $4.99!! I haven't played it yet, but everyone I know says it's really good.

I've only been to the Stone Mountain store, and they had at least a dozen of them. I'm sure your local one has a fair quantity as well...

Haven't heard anything about an alpharetta Fry's.

There's a game store I've passed twice now on 41 (cobb pkway) up in Acworth past the new Target and CC, near to where the new super Wally is going. Called Trade and Play I think. Can anyone say if it's worth stopping in?

I finally found the game shop across from neocisco's CC. Some great finds for classic consoles and accessories, but no great deals for more recent games.

[quote name='guinaevere']Haven't heard anything about an alpharetta Fry's.

There's a game store I've passed twice now on 41 (cobb pkway) up in Acworth past the new Target and CC, near to where the new super Wally is going. Called Trade and Play I think. Can anyone say if it's worth stopping in?

I finally found the game shop across from neocisco's CC. Some great finds for classic consoles and accessories, but no great deals for more recent games.[/QUOTE]

They are related. I picked up Gilmore Girls s4 for $10, and I got a DC game I think. Not too great of a selection, but worth a look. Same sort of selection, had some import GC games, too. Skies of Arcadia $25. Wish I had bought it.

Yeah both stores are Play N Trade. The one in actworth only has been open for a few months. Just like the one at Town Center its just hit or miss. Really for the older console collectors...

[quote name='kjauburn']Yeah both stores are Play N Trade. The one in actworth only has been open for a few months. Just like the one at Town Center its just hit or miss. Really for the older console collectors...[/QUOTE]

The one at TC is now called Crazy Game Trader or some mess. Found a complete Shenmue and a Saturn Sega Rally there last time. Much better prices than Rhino for DC stuff, if you can find it.

It's been a week since anybody posted.

So, uh, what's up?

Traffic sucked even more than usual this morning.

Has anybody been to the aquarium?

My favorite employee at the Kennesaw Gamestop (Wal-Mart) quit a couple of weeks ago. Now I have even less reason to go there.

These random thoughts brought to you by my boredom. Who's next?

Besides a few GR's still willing to do the $5 trade in bonus there really hasn't been much to report. Been mainly hitting Rhino with the 2 for 1 for my games so I haven't been stopping at many stores. Besides lucking out and finding 360 vision camera at the kennesaw TRU.

Keeping my eyes out though, the stores will start updating there planograms in the next month or 2 to handle the wii/ps3 upcoming release. Updated planograms normally equates to massive clearances...

[quote name='neocisco']It's been a week since anybody posted.

So, uh, what's up?

My favorite employee at the Kennesaw Gamestop (Wal-Mart) quit a couple of weeks ago. Now I have even less reason to go there.

These random thoughts brought to you by my boredom. Who's next?[/QUOTE]

Dude, I went to the Aquarium on New Year's Day. It was awesome. It's the best aquarium I've ever been to and I've been to Chatanooga, TN, Monterey, CA and a few others I can't remember.....

Anyone stop by the Roswell Comp USA. I was in there 2 weeks ago right after they said it was closing. When I was they hadn't started the markdowns yet. When they hit 40-50% off it will probably be worth checking out...

[quote name='neocisco']It's been a week since anybody posted.

So, uh, what's up?

These random thoughts brought to you by my boredom. Who's next?[/QUOTE]

Ironically (I guess),
I leave really close to the aquarium (Ga Tech) and have never been.

By the way, everybody, Kjauburn deserves kudos and congratulations. He made it to the front page and they also mention him in the latest CAG podcast.

Good job, man!! Thanks for repping the ATL!!

[quote name='Ubiiquitous']By the way, everybody, Kjauburn deserves kudos and congratulations. He made it to the front page and they also mention him in the latest CAG podcast.

Good job, man!! Thanks for repping the ATL!![/QUOTE]

I saw that. Very nice. ATL represent! (says the 32 y.o. white intellectual)

[quote name='Tybee']I saw that. Very nice. ATL represent! (says the 32 y.o. white intellectual)[/QUOTE]

HOLY CRAP!! Me too!! Well, 32 in October, anyway...

[quote name='Ubiiquitous']By the way, everybody, Kjauburn deserves kudos and congratulations. He made it to the front page and they also mention him in the latest CAG podcast.

Good job, man!! Thanks for repping the ATL!![/quote]

Thanks its always nice to give something back to CAG.

FYI... Not sure if anyone is a Cirque Du Soleil fan here, but they are coming to ATL Dec. 15th - January 7th. The show is the new show Corteo and tickets are on sale today to Cirque Du Solei club members. Just go to their website and sign up for a free account to purchase tickets. Tickets runs $52.50-$75 and the shows are well worth it. My wife loves the shows and I always take her when they come, usually a new show every year or every other year.

[quote name='kjauburn']Thanks its always nice to give something back to CAG.

FYI... Not sure if anyone is a Cirque Du Soleil fan here, but they are coming to ATL Dec. 15th - January 7th. The show is the new show Corteo and tickets are on sale today to Cirque Du Solei club members. Just go to their website and sign up for a free account to purchase tickets. Tickets runs $52.50-$75 and the shows are well worth it. My wife loves the shows and I always take her when they come, usually a new show every year or every other year.[/QUOTE]

I love Cirque, though the only show I've seen live is Mystere (twice) in Vegas. Where are they having it? The lot near the Galleria that they used the last few times is now the construction site of the Cobb County Performing Arts Center (or something like that).

[quote name='Tybee']I love Cirque, though the only show I've seen live is Mystere (twice) in Vegas. Where are they having it? The lot near the Galleria that they used the last few times is now the construction site of the Cobb County Performing Arts Center (or something like that).[/quote]

Trurthfully I don't know for sure where it is going to be located. Last time I heard they were going to do it near Atlantic Station. I believe 2500 tickets per show are available...

Just scooped up a copy and there were at five or six left. Chances are this will be a universal price drop as the Gamecube sequel will arrive in a few weeks.

Believe it!

[quote name='kjauburn']Trurthfully I don't know for sure where it is going to be located. Last time I heard they were going to do it near Atlantic Station. I believe 2500 tickets per show are available...[/QUOTE]

I just bought tickets for Sufjan Stevens as well as Old Crow Medicine Show, and would like to get some for David Sedaris and/or Ben Harper. So Cirque is, alas, pretty far down the list. ;)

[quote name='Tybee']I just bought tickets for Sufjan Stevens as well as Old Crow Medicine Show, and would like to get some for David Sedaris and/or Ben Harper. So Cirque is, alas, pretty far down the list. ;)[/QUOTE]

Sufjan Stevens. A friend just recommended him to me. I listed to some of his stuff and liked it a lot. Might have to buy one of his CD's soon.

He's making an album for each of the 50 states, right? Is that really a realistic endeavor, or is it something he's starting, but knows he's not going to be able to accomplish? If so, that would be an amazing feat. How many artists release 50 albums??

[quote name='Ubiiquitous']Sufjan Stevens. A friend just recommended him to me. I listed to some of his stuff and liked it a lot. Might have to buy one of his CD's soon.

He's making an album for each of the 50 states, right? Is that really a realistic endeavor, or is it something he's starting, but knows he's not going to be able to accomplish? If so, that would be an amazing feat. How many artists release 50 albums??[/QUOTE]

He did say that was his goal, though some have interpreted it to be kind of an elaborate joke. He's released albums that aren't part of the states project ("Seven Swans" came out between "Michigan" and "Illinois," and "Avalanche," his latest, is a collection of B-Sides, rarities, and alternate versions of "Illinois" tracks) and has since said that there are some states he has no interest in doing, like Texas. Also, he seems to have grown weary of fans and interviewers asking him which state is next, so it wouldn't surprise me if he got fed up with the whole idea.

On the other hand, I think his creativity and output are prodigious enough to make it happen. The fact that "Avalanche" is essentially leftovers and is very nearly as good as "Illinois" (which was universally tapped as the best album of 2005) suggests to me that he could do it. Even if he never produced another album, however, he'd still be one of the most brilliant artists alive.

Incidentally, I'd recommend starting with "Illinois" and working out from there.

[quote name='Tybee']He did say that was his goal, though some have interpreted it to be kind of an elaborate joke. He's released albums that aren't part of the states project ("Seven Swans" came out between "Michigan" and "Illinois," and "Avalanche," his latest, is a collection of B-Sides, rarities, and alternate versions of "Illinois" tracks) and has since said that there are some states he has no interest in doing, like Texas. Also, he seems to have grown weary of fans and interviewers asking him which state is next, so it wouldn't surprise me if he got fed up with the whole idea.

On the other hand, I think his creativity and output are prodigious enough to make it happen. The fact that "Avalanche" is essentially leftovers and is very nearly as good as "Illinois" (which was universally tapped as the best album of 2005) suggests to me that he could do it. Even if he never produced another album, however, he'd still be one of the most brilliant artists alive.

Incidentally, I'd recommend starting with "Illinois" and working out from there.[/QUOTE]

Maybe he should have chosen Canada instead ;)

I'll have to look for his album next time I'm at Best Buy. Thanks for the information. I'm getting really tired of 99X, The Buzz, etc. I like Dave FM a good bit, but I just need a change. Something different and not this poppy crap that all sounds the same these days.

[quote name='Ubiiquitous']Maybe he should have chosen Canada instead ;)

I'll have to look for his album next time I'm at Best Buy. Thanks for the information. I'm getting really tired of 99X, The Buzz, etc. I like Dave FM a good bit, but I just need a change. Something different and not this poppy crap that all sounds the same these days.[/QUOTE]

Do you ever listen to 88.5? It can be a good source for new jams.

[quote name='El Gray']Do you ever listen to 88.5? It can be a good source for new jams.[/QUOTE]

Ah yes, the sounds of Georgia State University. I used to listen to that non-stop back in the day. To be honest, I don't know why I stopped. Thanks for the reminder. I'll put that on my one of my car radio's presets.....

I sometimes listen to 88.5 and WABE, but mainly I'm just listening to my iPod these days. Commercial radio is a cultural wasteland. Albums I'm loving right now (in addition to Sufjan):

Jenny Lewis & The Watson Twins - Rabbit Fur Coat
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah
Neko Case - Fox Confessor Brings the Flood
Thom Yorke - Eraser
David Mead - Tangerine

Eagerly awaiting the new albums from Old Crow Medicine Show and the Indigo Girls. If you're looking for a great source of new music, definitely check out Paste magazine, which is actually produced here in Decatur. They include a free CD and DVD in each bi-monthly issue with tons of great music. Really well written articles, too. Fresher than Pitchfork, more offbeat than Rolling Stone. I'd love to write for them.

http://www.pastemagazine.com/

I hope you guys don't mind, but I thought I'd drop in and plug my trade/sell list. I'm trying to clean up my game collection, as such I have N64, Gamecube, PC, and DS games for sale. I'm also selling Antigrav + Eyetoy and (3rd Party) Samba de Amigo maracas. I'll be putting these things on ebay soon, so if you're interested in anything, then let me know. Although not on my list, I also have a 19" flat CRT monitor and a Razor scooter that I'll be putting on Craig's List, so speak up if you're interested.

Normally I would object to people plugging their lists in this thread, but I just thought since I have some larger items, some of you would be interested since we could avoid shipping costs. Also, I thought I could give my fellow ATL CAGs first dibs. Thanks.

[quote name='El Gray']Do you ever listen to 88.5? It can be a good source for new jams.[/QUOTE]
When I'm not listening to AM talk radio, it's generally on 88.5. Some great stuff. I enjoyed hearing some OST game soundtracks one weekend afternoon months back.

And to catch up, I haven't yet been to the Atlanta aquarium, but am dying to see it. And I too, am 32.

[quote name='Tybee']I sometimes listen to 88.5 and WABE, but mainly I'm just listening to my iPod these days. Commercial radio is a cultural wasteland. Albums I'm loving right now (in addition to Sufjan):

Jenny Lewis & The Watson Twins - Rabbit Fur Coat
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah
Neko Case - Fox Confessor Brings the Flood
Thom Yorke - Eraser
David Mead - Tangerine

Eagerly awaiting the new albums from Old Crow Medicine Show and the Indigo Girls. If you're looking for a great source of new music, definitely check out Paste magazine, which is actually produced here in Decatur. They include a free CD and DVD in each bi-monthly issue with tons of great music. Really well written articles, too. Fresher than Pitchfork, more offbeat than Rolling Stone. I'd love to write for them.

http://www.pastemagazine.com/[/QUOTE]

Holy crap man, we must've been seperated at birth or something. Not only are we both 30-ish married men in Decatur, but we are listening to very similar music. I absolutely LOVE that Jenny Lewis record, and I've also been digging the Watson Twins' new LP as well. Avalance and Fox Confessor have been in rotation quite a bit too.
My current list:
Bob Dylan "Modern Times"
Beirut "Gulag Orkestar"
Rogue Wave "Decended Like Vultures"
Rufus Wainwright "Want Two"
Guillemots "From the Cliffs"
Summer Hymns "Clemency"
Little Miss Sunshine soundtrack (Devotchka, Sufjan, etc)

I would also recommend visiting Decatur CD or Ella Guru to pick up some fresh, not commercially boring records (I know Tybee knows of these stores....just a tip for the youngsters out there!).

[quote name='organicow']Holy crap man, we must've been seperated at birth or something. Not only are we both 30-ish married men in Decatur, but we are listening to very similar music. I absolutely LOVE that Jenny Lewis record, and I've also been digging the Watson Twins' new LP as well. Avalance and Fox Confessor have been in rotation quite a bit too.
[/quote]
Is the Jenny Lewis cd better than Rilo Kiley's More Adventurous (My current favorite Cd of all time)? I heard that it was pretty disappointing, but even still, I still need to get it.

[quote name='sprintsucks5892']Is the Jenny Lewis cd better than Rilo Kiley's More Adventurous (My current favorite Cd of all time)? I heard that it was pretty disappointing, but even still, I still need to get it.[/QUOTE]
Well, if you're expecting a Rilo Kiley type sound, then you will be disappointed. Her solo record is more country-oriented with a spash of old-school soul ans a little r'n'r.

Hello again, fellow ATLiens.....

I have a fairly noobish question that I'm too embarassed to ask in the appropriate forum, for fear of endless ridicule, so I'll ask here to the people I know won't give me a hard time....;)

I have an XBOX and hope to get a 360 soon. My Live subscription ran out a few months ago, and I'm thinking about getting a new one b/c I hear it will transfer over to a 360. I also hear if you buy a gold for the 360, it will NOT transfer down to the XBOX.....

With that verbose setup now in place, my question is wouldn't it just make sense to buy a Live membership for the old XBOX and then transfer it to the 360?? That because I will be able to get on Live on the old XBOX AND the 360 that way.....Is that accurate???

It just doesn't make sense to buy a 360 gold membership if I also have the old XBOX...

Thanks guys and gals....

Hello again, fellow ATLiens.....

I have a fairly noobish question that I'm too embarassed to ask in the appropriate forum, for fear of endless ridicule, so I'll ask here to the people I know won't give me a hard time....;)

I have an XBOX and hope to get a 360 soon. My Live subscription ran out a few months ago, and I'm thinking about getting a new one b/c I hear it will transfer over to a 360. I also hear if you buy a gold for the 360, it will NOT transfer down to the XBOX.....

With that verbose setup now in place, my question is wouldn't it just make sense to buy a Live membership for the old XBOX and then transfer it to the 360?? That because I will be able to get on Live on the old XBOX AND the 360 that way.....Is that accurate???

It just doesn't make sense to buy a 360 gold membership if I also have the old XBOX...

Thanks guys and gals....

According to this you would be correct. But, it also states you can use either Xbox no matter how you purchase it.

No matter which system you were using when you started your Xbox Live membership, you can sign in to Xbox Live from either console as long as you maintain the same gamertag and keep your membership paid up.

According to this you would be correct. But, it also states you can use either Xbox no matter how you purchase it.

No matter which system you were using when you started your Xbox Live membership, you can sign in to Xbox Live from either console as long as you maintain the same gamertag and keep your membership paid up.

[quote name='sprintsucks5892']Is the Jenny Lewis cd better than Rilo Kiley's More Adventurous (My current favorite Cd of all time)? I heard that it was pretty disappointing, but even still, I still need to get it.[/QUOTE]

I have both, and frankly I feel "Rabbit Fur Coat" blows "More Adventurous" away. But like Organicow says, it depends on the musical tastes you bring to the table.

Organicow: I'm all over the new Dylan. Plan to pick it up this week. Just saw "Little Miss Sunshine" for the second time last night. ;)

If anyone's interested, the Toys R Us in Kennesaw today had 4 copies of Taiko Drum Master (game+drum) for $13. Also, 3 copies of Donkey Konga w/bongos for $20.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']According to this you would be correct. But, it also states you can use either Xbox no matter how you purchase it.[/QUOTE]

Wow, thanks, Cochese. I didn't think it would go backwards. That's good news. Now, I just need to finally get a freakin' 360!!

Thanks again for the information...I guess I could have just gone to the xbox site in the first place...:oops:

Thanks again, bro....

[quote name='rupan_sansei']If anyone's interested, the Toys R Us in Kennesaw today had 4 copies of Taiko Drum Master (game+drum) for $13. Also, 3 copies of Donkey Konga w/bongos for $20.[/quote]

I saw the Taiko today too except there were 5 when I was in. Does anybody know the trade value for this at any stores?

[quote name='neocisco']I saw the Taiko today too except there were 5 when I was in. Does anybody know the trade value for this at any stores?[/QUOTE]

There WERE 5. One came home with me. :D

I walked into the Rhino on Hwy 92 about 4 days ago and was shocked to see a brand new sealed Phoenix Wright staring at me from the glass case. Well, stupid me, kept debating whether or not to pick it up (look it's $29.99 and I'm a cheap ass)

However, after digging in my collection for some trades. I walked in today thinking by now Phoenix would have been gone. Shocking as it may sound, there were now a total of THREE, new Ace Attorneys in stock.

So, having to pay only $10 after trades, there are now two copies left if anyone is still looking for that game

-Brian

Here's a little somethin' just for the ATL CAG's. All of the Donkey Konga games have dropped to $15 to $20, depending on the title. The Kennesaw store still has 2 copies of DK w/drums in stock. They're still tagged at $49.99 but will sell for $19.99. They're on the bottom of the GC accessory section. There are also 3 copies of Donkey Konga 2 and 1 Donkey Konga: Jungle Beat. I think those are $14.99 each and they have been tagged. I'm off tomorrow so go get 'em if you want 'em (or check a store closer to you). I'm not posting these prices under CC markdowns until Friday so you guys have a headstart. Enjoy.

Hey guys,

Just curious about who here is planning to pick up a Wii at launch. Where do you plan to get it? Are you preordering? All-nighting? I want it on day 1, but I'm not sure how to go about it. Except for portables, this will be the first console I'm going after on launch day. Gwen, I noticed you've been active in some of the Wii pre-order threads. What are your plans? Maybe we should start organizing.

Also, has anyone seen Cooking Mama at any of the BB's around town? I want to get it with a GGC but haven't found it yet.

After the last-minute surprise of FREE GAME with the DS Lite, I don't plan on pre-ordering anywhere. I'll go down the street to Edgewood, and get it at BB, Target, or EB. I do hope to get one at or near launch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back