General Discussion for ATL CAGs In Memoriam Matthew Cherry

Status
Not open for further replies.

organicow

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
Hey guys, I figured since we totally hijacked that DS Lite thread to talk about everything from cider to live local music....we might as well have a dedicated thread for it. Especially since I think we definitely have the most robust discussions in the Southeast CAG forum!

I'll kick it off by describing my recent EB experience:

I hit the Northlake EB (the one with the cool manager) today to grab some B2G1 goodness. I ended up getting Marvel vs. Capcom 2 (XB), RE2 (GC), and RE3 (GC), all complete and mint for 86.65. Considering that MvC2 goes for $50-60 on ebay, I thought this to be a pretty good purchase! As I was leaving, the manager guy told me that the North Dekalb store had some rare shit right now too, and that I should check it out. What a nice guy!

Anyway, I f'n hate that EB, but I figured it was worth a trip (its not that far from home). I ended up getting complete mint copies of REZ (PS2), LoZ Promo disc (GC, the one with Master Quest), and Cubivore (GC) for $72.20. Cool.

I also got 3 used DS games (preparing for the Lite on Sun) for B2G1. All three of the games (Trauma Center, Advance Wars, and MarioKart) were complete. But, somehow, as the dipshit was ringing me up, the Trauma manual somehow disappeared from the box! Since they insist upon slapping those damned clear stickers on the edges at sale time, I didn't notice the missing manual until I was on the way home. Jackasses!! Well, they had another complete used copy, so hopefully they can help me out tomorrow....but I'm not counting on it.

In the meantime, this dude with a baby was trading in 20 Xbox games (and getting ripped off, I might add), and the clueless employees there couldn't seem to get it all worked out. That poor bastard must've been there for about 45 minutes, and still hadn't gotten the right trade in credit. UGH.

My two trips today really showed me how utterly opposed two EBs within a few miles of one another could really be. And that is why I always go out to Northlake!

/rant

On to more beer talk!! :cool:

Thanks for the info, Auburn. You answered a couple questions about GR that I was too lazy to look into. Yes, I know, opening a new window and looking for the GR thread is such hard work.

[quote name='kjauburn']Did you mean DS games? I was in there a couple of days ago and they had a good selection overall if you look through all the new games. DS games were pretty light though with the usually suspects. There clearance section is getting bare, but like I said you can still find quite a bit in the new game section. They still have MK LE PS2, DOA Ulitmates, Batman Rise of TZU box, etc. behind the counter without any clearance pricing. I plan on stopping in tomorrow when I return my movies and can look for you if you list the ones you are looking for...[/QUOTE]

No, Dreamcast. And I answered my own question, they don't have anymore. I was also looking for some off of the clearance list for PSP, didn't have any of those, either.

I may hit another one (skipping the Lassiter one...they always suck) this weekend, but I'm not holding out hope.

Haven't seen any dreamcast games at any GR in the Cobb/Cherokee area and I have hit several in the past few months. Funny enough the perimeter CC store still has a few new dreamcast games in a bin with the markdown games. Basically the old sports games...

[quote name='kjauburn']Haven't seen any dreamcast games at any GR in the Cobb/Cherokee area and I have hit several in the past few months. Funny enough the perimeter CC store still has a few new dreamcast games in a bin with the markdown games. Basically the old sports games...[/QUOTE]

That's pretty crappy. Only place to find them now is Rhino or PnT, and both are marking them up like there is no tomorrow.

BTW, has anyone hit Rhino on 92/Trickum lately? Just noticed it there tonight. I'm going to hit the two PnTs tomorrow or Saturday and see if I can find any cheap Saturn or DC games.

Has anyone checked out my DC DVD-size artwork yet? Looks pretty good, but I might be a bit impartial...:D

sonicadventure3d.jpg
dcflavor2.jpg

I'm kinda torn though. I love doing it, and would love to have them in current-gen style cases, but they look so good already, and the PSP and DS cases are so different, too (CD is exact same height as DS). I dunno...

[quote name='CocheseUGA']That's pretty crappy. Only place to find them now is Rhino or PnT, and both are marking them up like there is no tomorrow.

BTW, has anyone hit Rhino on 92/Trickum lately? Just noticed it there tonight. I'm going to hit the two PnTs tomorrow or Saturday and see if I can find any cheap Saturn or DC games.

Has anyone checked out my DC DVD-size artwork yet? Looks pretty good, but I might be a bit impartial...:D

sonicadventure3d.jpg
dcflavor2.jpg

I'm kinda torn though. I love doing it, and would love to have them in current-gen style cases, but they look so good already, and the PSP and DS cases are so different, too (CD is exact same height as DS). I dunno...[/QUOTE]

Wow!! They look great!! I'm a HUGE DC fan. I wish it were easier to find DC games around here......good job on those, man.....

[quote name='Ubiiquitous']Wow!! They look great!! I'm a HUGE DC fan. I wish it were easier to find DC games around here......good job on those, man.....[/QUOTE]

It's nearly impossible to find games anymore. I'm browsing ebay right now. I want games, but I don't want to pay $18 for MSR. WTF?

I'd make these covers all day long, but I wish I could either get donations or someone to print them for me so I could enjoy them, too. Printed one out, it looks good, but it's a huge drain on my ink. Especially living on only a stipend.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']BTW, has anyone hit Rhino on 92/Trickum lately? Just noticed it there tonight. I'm going to hit the two PnTs tomorrow or Saturday and see if I can find any cheap Saturn or DC games.[/quote]
I don't kno wwhere Trickum is. I think I recall seeing DC games at the game shopin Discover Mills mall. It's a few doors across the hall from Books a Million.

You should be partial Sugar, they look very nice!

I guess you can't have those printed up at a Kinkos to save your ink?

Been to the Rhino on 92 recently, but I never look at the Dreamcast games. The older systems games are marked up quite a bit though as you said. Rhino is hit and miss on alot of things, but you can find some decent priced used games in there on occasion. As long as they continue to have the trade 2 for 1 deal going on I will hit them up. The best thing I noticed in there last week was a copy of ikaruga in good shape. There are tons of Rhino's around the Atlanta surburbs and anytime I see one I normally walk in. For some reason they have a knack for not pissing me off like eb/gamestop does.

[quote name='guinaevere']I don't kno wwhere Trickum is. I think I recall seeing DC games at the game shopin Discover Mills mall. It's a few doors across the hall from Books a Million.

You should be partial Sugar, they look very nice!

I guess you can't have those printed up at a Kinkos to save your ink?[/QUOTE]

There's been widespread reports of copy places not printing not only total custom work, but especially ones like I've done. It doesn't hurt to try though, but you have to do so much work to make sure they don't screw up the size, or charge you nearly $5 to open each file.

[quote name='guinaevere']I don't kno wwhere Trickum is. I think I recall seeing DC games at the game shopin Discover Mills mall. It's a few doors across the hall from Books a Million.[/quote]

Can you recall how good the DC selection there was? I might venture up there, but I don't want to go if all they have is NFL2K2 and Crazy Taxi....;)

I think that I will check the Northpoint TRU after work, and see if any of the supposed clearance titles are in sight. Has anyone else looked at a local TRU this week?

[quote name='guinaevere']
Taiko for $25? This Kmart is only a few minutes from me, but I can't stand going in there. It's always so hot. But Taiko for $25, I may venture in for that.
[/quote]

Did you see this thread? Reports of Taiko markdown to $9.99 at target. I bought it using the $5 off coupon last year at Best Buy. I don't remember the exact price but I think it was $4.99 with the coupon. Its decent to mess around with for a bit, but beatmania, guitar hero, and donkey konga are all better related games...

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99825

Well, there is a working price scanner in the RZone at Northpoint, so I was able to check a few prices. None of the ones from the list that I tried were marked down yet. Well, Xmen Legends II had a shelf tag of 30, and rang up at 20, but I figured that was just an old shelf tag. All the others rang up the same as their tags.

I worked night crew back in the day for several years at TRU and I still know a few workers at Buckhead, Northpointe, and TC. Been keeping in touch trying to find out about the price drops and if I hear anything I will let everyone know...

Hey neocisco do you remember the ATL Cag who works at TRU? He could probably keep us up to speed the best...

[quote name='kjauburn']Hey neocisco do you remember the ATL Cag who works at TRU? He could probably keep us up to speed the best...[/quote]

I think it's benboxer.

[quote name='kjauburn']Did you see this thread? Reports of Taiko markdown to $9.99 at target. I bought it using the $5 off coupon last year at Best Buy. I don't remember the exact price but I think it was $4.99 with the coupon. Its decent to mess around with for a bit, but beatmania, guitar hero, and donkey konga are all better related games...

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99825[/quote]

I've got like three sets of drums for Donkey Konga if anybody wants to get together and play sometime. ;)

Well, checked out the Rhino on 92 and got three used guides, a VMU and a N64 official rumble pak. Their DC prices are horrendous, especially when it's disc only. I proceeded to Crazy Game Trader (formerly the PlayNTrade next to Willys in Kennesaw) and picked up DC-MSR, DC-Shenmue (my case was messed up and I was missing the manual) and Saturn-Sega Rally for $27.

Just throwing it out there, but has anyone else tried this chain called The Movie Post lately? Its been a few months since I've been to one, but when I was last there, I had picked up some pretty good deals on used Xbox games, like Red Dead Revolver and Manhunt for $5 each, and Mercenaries, Jade Empire and GTA San Andreas for $9 apiece. They also have, from time to time, insane deals on older 'new' games still sealed, like when I picked up THUG 2 and the first Brothers In Arms for $5 apiece...Guess it was an overstock or something. I didn't bother asking, I just bought 'em! ;)

Anyway, when I was last visiting them, there was one by Northlake, one on Roswell Rd., and one near Cumberland Mall (the TRU shopping center). They also sell used PS2 games and of course DVDs, CDs and some VHS tapes with some pretty good deals on their used stuff. If you happen to run across one...IF they're still around!...You might wanna check 'em out. :cool:

[quote name='Full Metal XL']Just throwing it out there, but has anyone else tried this chain called The Movie Post lately? Its been a few months since I've been to one, but when I was last there, I had picked up some pretty good deals on used Xbox games, like Red Dead Revolver and Manhunt for $5 each, and Mercenaries, Jade Empire and GTA San Andreas for $9 apiece. They also have, from time to time, insane deals on older 'new' games still sealed, like when I picked up THUG 2 and the first Brothers In Arms for $5 apiece...Guess it was an overstock or something. I didn't bother asking, I just bought 'em! ;)

Anyway, when I was last visiting them, there was one by Northlake, one on Roswell Rd., and one near Cumberland Mall (the TRU shopping center). They also sell used PS2 games and of course DVDs, CDs and some VHS tapes with some pretty good deals on their used stuff. If you happen to run across one...IF they're still around!...You might wanna check 'em out. :cool:[/quote]

Sounds like you're talking about the Movie Trading Company. Unfortunately, they pulled out of the Atlanta market this past winter. All the stores have been closed since around February. I never found good deals on games there, but they did provide me with a steady supply of cheap Criterion DVDs. I miss them terribly. :(

[quote name='Tybee']Sounds like you're talking about the Movie Trading Company. Unfortunately, they pulled out of the Atlanta market this past winter. All the stores have been closed since around February. I never found good deals on games there, but they did provide me with a steady supply of cheap Criterion DVDs. I miss them terribly. :([/quote]
Yeah I always did well at MTC and they had great trade in values. You always could find good used box sets there. He could be talking about The movie stop, but I only been in there once at the town center location. I think there are 5 or 6 in GA. Its owned by gamestop and has some games, but mainly carries dvd's...

CocheseUGA didn't you use to shop at Moviestop. I think I remember you posting about the chain awhile back...

[quote name='Ubiiquitous']Can you recall how good the DC selection there was? I might venture up there, but I don't want to go if all they have is NFL2K2 and Crazy Taxi....;)[/QUOTE]
I want to say that I saw Typing of the Dead with the DC keyboard and some other decent finds. How many good finds, I can't remember.

[quote name='kjauburn']Did you see this thread? Reports of Taiko markdown to $9.99 at target. I bought it using the $5 off coupon last year at Best Buy. I don't remember the exact price but I think it was $4.99 with the coupon. Its decent to mess around with for a bit, but beatmania, guitar hero, and donkey konga are all better related games...

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99825[/QUOTE]
Just saw the thread a few minutes ago. I'll hit Super Target tomorrow after Sunday School. And great job on the $4.99 deal!

No luck on the cheap Taiko Drum Master at Edgewood Target yesterday.

I did find Mortal Kombat: Deception Premium Pack at one of those Gamerushes last night, though. $5 for lots of FATALITIES.

Couldn't find any Taiko drums at the Town Center Target. I know they recently had a bunch of them, so maybe someone already took advantage of the deal.

I have an extra unopened Taiko for anyone in the Atlanta area that's interested. I'm looking for either $15 cash or if you have a trade list, we can work out a swap. PM me.

[quote name='kjauburn']Yeah I always did well at MTC and they had great trade in values. You always could find good used box sets there. He could be talking about The movie stop, but I only been in there once at the town center location. I think there are 5 or 6 in GA. Its owned by gamestop and has some games, but mainly carries dvd's...

CocheseUGA didn't you use to shop at Moviestop. I think I remember you posting about the chain awhile back...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Moviestop is pretty good (sibling of Gamestop, you can use your card there).

Typing of the dead and keyboard? how much?

Did anyone happen to pick up FFX or FFX1 w/HDD at Kmart? If so, I'd like to buy FFX off someone. Also, if anyone in GA has a copy of Marvel vs Capcom 2 they'd like to trade/sell please PM me.

Rhino started to markdown quite a few titles. I was in the store at 92/trickum today. Here is what I recall. I posted the games in the Rhino Video Game Clearance thread as well, but Rhino threads never last more then a day or 2 usually since its only in the southeast. They had some of the games on a table with controllers and other items markdown. Several of the games are still on the wall, you can spot the markdown since they all end in .50. Remember they normally only have a few copies of a new games, with one being the display copy. There were quite a few older PS2/Xbox titles marked down as well.

PSP
Me & My Katamari 19.50
Pac-World 3 19.50
Legends of Heroes II 24.50
Generation of Chaos 24.50
Street Fighter Alpha Max 24.50

DS
Tax 9.50
Rayman 9.50
Burnout Legends 14.50
Finding Nemo 15.50
Tao's Adventure 19.50
Rub Rabbits 19.50
Kirby Canvas 24.50
Metroid Prime Hunters 30.50
Electroplankton 32.50

Xbox 360
Full Auto 24.50
PDZ CE 29.50
FFXI 39.50
DOA4 44.50
Rumble Roses XX 49.50

PS2
Demonstone 4.50
Drakangard 2 19.50
Fatal Frame III 34.50

Well, there is still a decent selection of clearance items at the Mars Hill GR. Bunch of Xbox and PS2 titles, a couple GC and DS titles. Nothing shockingly outstanding, but more than what I've seen otherwise.

Went to the Trade N Play (apparently I've had it backwards) and picked up Gilmore Girls S4 for $10. They had Smallville S3 for $15, but I haven't started collecting those yet. One day...

[quote name='Tybee']Sounds like you're talking about the Movie Trading Company. Unfortunately, they pulled out of the Atlanta market this past winter. All the stores have been closed since around February. I never found good deals on games there, but they did provide me with a steady supply of cheap Criterion DVDs. I miss them terribly. :([/quote]
Whoops, that's the name...Sorry, my memory is crap these days...But they closed??? Nooo! That sucks harshly...That store gave kick ass Xbox game deals to me. Ugh...I hate when good stores pull up stakes and leave GA. What the hell happened to our growing economy and more businesses coming? All I'm seeing lately is businesses leaving.And BTW...Where are these Rhino stores? Any near Decatur so I can send my brother to pick up that $4.50 Demonstone?

[quote name='Full Metal XL']Whoops, that's the name...Sorry, my memory is crap these days...But they closed??? Nooo! That sucks harshly...That store gave kick ass Xbox game deals to me. Ugh...I hate when good stores pull up stakes and leave GA. What the hell happened to our growing economy and more businesses coming? All I'm seeing lately is businesses leaving.And BTW...Where are these Rhino stores? Any near Decatur so I can send my brother to pick up that $4.50 Demonstone?[/quote]

Most Rhinos are in the surburbs, check the store locater www.rhinovideogames.

MTC was one of dozens of other chains blockbuster owns (Rhino is as well). Basically after the terrible earnings they are trying to fight off chapter 11. They tried to sell MTC and there was no takers, but they only gave it about 2 months. I miss the cash/credit trade in values. Of course getting $1-2 trade in credit for any VHS tape pretty much told you they were going to have problems long term...

[quote name='kjauburn']Most Rhinos are in the surburbs, check the store locater www.rhinovideogames.

MTC was one of dozens of other chains blockbuster owns (Rhino is as well). Basically after the terrible earnings they are trying to fight off chapter 11. They tried to sell MTC and there was no takers, but they only gave it about 2 months. I miss the cash/credit trade in values. Of course getting $1-2 trade in credit for any VHS tape pretty much told you they were going to have problems long term...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, they took pretty much anything. I liquidated quite a few crappy DVDs through them and fleshed out my Criterion collection quite a bit. They always had obscure titles there (though if they were new they were generally MSRP). The really exciting time was when they would have B2G1 sales on everything in the store. You had to get one of their circulars in the mail, which had this coupon. They wouldn't give them out in store and would not accept copies, so it was actually a valuable deal. They did it quarterly. Doing B2G1 on Criterions (adding in trade-in credit to boot) was the retail equivalent of an Ecstasy high.

I had the following games come back in, all $8.96, if any of you are interested.

Spyro-DS
Guilty Gear-DS
Zelda/Pitfall-GBA

I can put them on hold if any of you want to come by the store to pick them up. Just let me know.

EDIT: kjauburn already found Spyro so it's back up for grabs.

[quote name='neocisco']I had the following games come back in, all $8.96, if any of you are interested.

Spyro-DS
Guilty Gear-DS
Zelda/Pitfall-GBA

I can put them on hold if any of you want to come by the store to pick them up. So everybody knows, kjauburn gets first shot at Spyro since he asked about it a couple of weeks ago. Just let me know.[/quote]
Thanks for the update and keeping me in mind. I found a Spyro for the wife already. If anyone grabs the 2 pack remember Pitfall was still trading in for $8 at GR as of last week. if you are able to get the $5 bonus you walk away with $13 credit GR and zelda for yourself for $8.96...

Edit: Figure I have to many games from the recent sales so I am taking back Tales of Phantasia & Sigma Star Saga to Neocisco's store tomorrow. Just in case anyone is still looking for a copy...

Neocisco I don't know if you knew this, but I found out Rhino takes used guides the other day. Not sure what they give for them, but it is at least .50 cents.

I still have 2 extra Metal Gear Acid 2 and 2 extra GTA:LCS (PSP, but same as PS2, since it's just a port) guides that I'd like to trade.

I'm looking for Matrix:poN and The Warriors guides, but I am sure there are others I'd like to trade for as well....

Sorry for the double post, but I just picked up 2 copies of the Black guide and 1 copy of the NFS:MW guide today at Best Buy for a penny each, and have those up for trade as well...

Stopped by Rhino again today and all the clearance prices dropped again days after dropping the first time. They are really trying to push these titles out. The Rhino clearance thread has more details, but there are several PSP games $9.50-$14.50 (Katamari, Generation Chaos, Legends of Heroes II). Basically all the clearance prices dropped in half it looks like. PDZ, PGR3 and Full Auto for the 360 are under $20 for the new copies only. Used are not on sale. You can check your area for Rhino stores at Rhinovideogames.com.

I still have these games available...

Spyro-DS (possible to Grundy)
Guilty Gear-DS
Zelda/Pitfall-GBA

and a few new ones...

Tales of Phantasia-GBA
Sigma Star Saga-GBA
Burnout Legends-DS

The new ones are $8.96 as well. Let me know if you're interested in picking these up. They're all currently off the floor. If I don't hear anything by Monday morning I'll be putting them back out.

[quote name='neocisco']I still have these games available...

Spyro-DS (possible to Grundy)
Guilty Gear-DS
Zelda/Pitfall-GBA

and a few new ones...

Tales of Phantasia-GBA
Sigma Star Saga-GBA
Burnout Legends-DS

The new ones are $8.96 as well. Let me know if you're interested in picking these up. They're all currently off the floor. If I don't hear anything by Monday morning I'll be putting them back out.[/quote]

I see you found my returns from yesterday. I noticed you must have been restocked with Bomberman DS. Not bad for $13.99,,,

[quote name='kjauburn']I see you found my returns from yesterday. I noticed you must have been restocked with Bomberman DS. Not bad for $13.99,,,[/quote]
I had a feeling that might have been you!:lol:

It looks like we're starting to get some DS games tagged as Cool Games for $13.99 now.

[quote name='kjauburn']Stopped by Rhino again today and all the clearance prices dropped again days after dropping the first time. They are really trying to push these titles out. The Rhino clearance thread has more details, but there are several PSP games $9.50-$14.50 (Katamari, Generation Chaos, Legends of Heroes II). Basically all the clearance prices dropped in half it looks like. PDZ, PGR3 and Full Auto for the 360 are under $20 for the new copies only. Used are not on sale. You can check your area for Rhino stores at Rhinovideogames.com.[/QUOTE]

Damn...Me & My Katamari for under $15? I'll have to go look.

[quote name='cthcky33']i plan on going to TRU by gwinnett place mall tomorrow, i will report any findings[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I'd like to know what they have...

BTW, where are you in Lilburn? I'm off HWY 78 and Killian Hill.
Good to see someone else who is close by....

Hey neocisco,

I was in your store this afternoon and picked up that Spyro DS game. Sorry I didn't respond to the PM (might help if I actually check for messages once in a while).

Thanks, and let me know if someone ever returns Haunting Ground, or Sims 2 (XB) and MK - Shaolin Monks (XB).

-B

[quote name='grundy']Hey neocisco,

I was in your store this afternoon and picked up that Spyro DS game. Sorry I didn't respond to the PM (might help if I actually check for messages once in a while).

Thanks, and let me know if someone ever returns Haunting Ground, or Sims 2 (XB) and MK - Shaolin Monks (XB).

-B[/quote]
I was on lunch when you came in. They paged me and asked me where the game was for a customer. For some reason I had a feeling it might have been you. Good timing because I was going to put it back out on the shelf after I got back. I'll keep an eye out for the other games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back