General Fighting Game Thread #48 Turbo - !quote 16 ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.
I might get SFHD on PSN, mostly because 2 of my 3 sticks are PS2 sticks.

Nice to see a finalized date on SFIV. Driving 1.5 hours to San Jose to play SFIV is getting pricey :)

[quote name='MarkMan']Gouken is cheap.

I had fun using him.

;)[/quote]

Ooo...that's perfect for my style of play!!11! :D

And if I do get SFIITHD, it'll be PSN. More use for my sticks...

Yes, and lag will vary between adapters. I'm sure MM knows more about all the different ps2-usb adapters out there.

I myself have this old BNS adapter just in case I need one. It seems to work just fine. I got it back when someone who played DDR suggested it to me (you know those rhythm games are critical when it comes to input response). I haven't noticed any lag, if there is, it's really not noticeable.

My other friend has these Pelican converters that used to be sold at Gstop and supposedly go for $100ish. Those perform great as well. When I played with them, I didn't see much lag on their end either. I would vouch for those as well, but definitely not for 100 dollars.

edit: maybe he was kidding, but I can't find the specific image of the same Pelican adapter. Not even under "pelican ps2 to usb or ps2 to ps3.

edit 2: after a little research, my BNS branded adapter is actually a Mayflash product.
http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cach...usb&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=4&gl=us&client=firefox-a (about a third of the way down listed as super dual box)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm gonna order a SC4 stick as soon as my Gears 2 giftcard comes in. How hard are the to mod?

I just have to have something for SF2HD this month. I mean, it's my first SF after all.

I've tested the shit out of said converters up above. I did frame specific testing and the three I listed virtually have no lag/noticeable lag.

So go for one of those.

Easiest/cheapest one available right now is an inPin.

[quote name='DarthPuma']I'm gonna order a SC4 stick as soon as my Gears 2 giftcard comes in. How hard are the to mod?

I just have to have something for SF2HD this month. I mean, it's my first SF after all.[/quote]

Eh? This is your first time playing the SF series? :D

[quote name='xcopy']Eh? This is your first time playing the SF series? :D[/QUOTE]

Yep. I have the Alpha Anthology coming in the mail from someone too.

I won't be able to play that with a stick though. :cry:

My suggestion would be to go with the easy bat-top +octagonal gate mod for the FS3.

It costs maybe 10 dollars at most and is really easy to do, and makes it much more comfortable if you're used to american bat-top style sticks.

The buttons are fine for the casual player I think, none of mine have broken down or anything since I got mine in July.

The stick is pretty light and loose, so that might take some getting used to but I didn't have too huge a problem with it for the price (I got it for like 40 shipped or something).

Also, getting a sanwa stick in there is going to be a bitch if I remember right. You have to like cut some metal off the bottom or something.

I think the button switching was easier to do, but still a bit of a hassle for the beginner.

When making the SF4 sticks, I like how everyone suggested octagonal gates for the sticks... like it was popular or something... but in reality 90% of the sticks out there rock the traditional square gate...

haha... oh well. ppl are wild with their preferences and views on how things 'should' be...

If you haven't been reading up on the SRK thread for the SF4 stick, now is a good time.

If you want a good stick that is mod friendly, you know what to dooooooooo!

[quote name='MarkMan']When making the SF4 sticks, I like how everyone suggested octagonal gates for the sticks... like it was popular or something... but in reality 90% of the sticks out there rock the traditional square gate...

haha... oh well. ppl are wild with their preferences and views on how things 'should' be...

If you haven't been reading up on the SRK thread for the SF4 stick, now is a good time.

If you want a good stick that is mod friendly, you know what to dooooooooo![/quote]
I was thinking of octogonal gates a while ago as well, but ended up sticking with a square. MM is right, almost all default sticks and arcade cabs (aside from American panels) have the square gate by default. There is a valid reason for a square gate. Mostly to do with even throw distribution to all 8 directions.

http://www.slagcoin.com/joystick/restrictors.html

Circle restrictors (and octogonal for that matter) are smooth on the motions and all, but I cannot find the axes if my life depended on it.

PhrostByte, not many options in the dpad department. Same with keyboard.

You won't be able to use a keyboard for any SF games on the 360. Even with an XFPS or some type of adapter.

For controllers, I would suggest getting a modded 360 controller with enhanced dpad from XCM or you can wait for the SF4 controllers.

[quote name='DarthPuma']I just have to have something for SF2HD this month. I mean, it's my first SF after all.[/quote]

If it's half as awesome as the source material was, you are in for a treat!:cool:

[quote name='PhrostByte']Since they're Mad Catz.. you think they'll be cheap?[/quote]
All signs
MarkMan working with Mad Catz on the stick for example
point to them being great. But if you're talking about pricing instead of quality, the price hasn't been revealed yet.

Well back then in grade school, Mad Catz was often subject to many a cheap joke. It was often seen (at least in my eyes) as one of the lesser quality video game accessory brands.

Though I'm sure I cannot say the same for their brand today.

[quote name='BlueSwim']
Looks like it's the Spiral Arrow into Cannon Spike.
[/QUOTE]

Vid / Source? I believe you just wanna see what it looks like.

It's not using GGPO, its still a lot more similar to the netcode used in the beta. Luckily Ponder came on real late to make some tweaks to make it flow much better.

You know what is surprising? GGPO is not in SF4, but the netcode is 'pretty damn good'.

[quote name='SmallWind']... that video doesn't show the Ultra that Jim's looking for. It's just the regular super since the Cammy player didn't have the that fire bar up to do the Ultra.[/quote]

Just a bit of miss communication, that's all. Thought he meant "super" instead of "ultra". Easy to do when you haven't played the game.;)

Did anyone ever pick up KoF The Orochi Saga? I would go look for it right now, but there seems to be many complaints about the controls. Maybe I'll just wait until they release '98 and 2k2 in the states...

[quote name='BlueSwim']
Just a bit of miss communication, that's all. Thought he meant "super" instead of "ultra". Easy to do when you haven't played the game.;)
[/QUOTE]

No prob, totally understandable. I was mixing them up before I had played as well. I still wonder though.

[quote name='option.iv']Did anyone ever pick up KoF The Orochi Saga? I would go look for it right now, but there seems to be many complaints about the controls. Maybe I'll just wait until they release '98 and 2k2 in the states...[/QUOTE]

I also saw mixed impressions and decided to skip it. Over the years I wound up getting the Japanese versions of everything on there so I'm not really dying for more KoF games, especially ones ported by the same idiots who did the SNK Arcade Compilation.

[quote name='Halo05']I also saw mixed impressions and decided to skip it. Over the years I wound up getting the Japanese versions of everything on there so I'm not really dying for more KoF games, especially ones ported by the same idiots who did the SNK Arcade Compilation.[/quote]
Hmm, thanks for your opinion, saves me $25. I guess I'll hold myself over with XI until '98UM and 2002UM come out, if they ever do. Maybe by then I'll have a next gen system to play XII whenever that comes out.

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']No prob, totally understandable. I was mixing them up before I had played as well. I still wonder though.[/quote]

Sorry about that.:oops:

[quote name='option.iv']Hmm, thanks for your opinion, saves me $25. I guess I'll hold myself over with XI until '98UM and 2002UM come out, if they ever do. Maybe by then I'll have a next gen system to play XII whenever that comes out.[/QUOTE]

It's only 15, I picked it up off Amazon for my brother for his b-day (got him that and the Iron Man special edition DVD). I'll try and check it out over Thanksgiving and give you better impressions, but I'm one of the few people that didn't bitch about SNK Arcade Classics. It was only 15 dollars, so I wasn't expecting huge production values or 100% perfect ports.

Sure, Shock Troopers was almost unplayable, but it's still worth the 15 IMO.

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']It's only 15, I picked it up off Amazon for my brother for his b-day (got him that and the Iron Man special edition DVD). I'll try and check it out over Thanksgiving and give you better impressions, but I'm one of the few people that didn't bitch about SNK Arcade Classics. It was only 15 dollars, so I wasn't expecting huge production values or 100% perfect ports.

Sure, Shock Troopers was almost unplayable, but it's still worth the 15 IMO.[/QUOTE]

Okay, I just need to pop in here to say that the PS2 compilation is the biggest piece of shit SNK's ever produced, regardless of price. Every game skips frames like mad crazy. Hell, the fucking front-end menu doesn't even run smoothly. The Wii version, however, is a lot better, and while yeah, it's twice the price, it also has every game looking cleaner (higher res, not filters) and games run without slowdown. You lose the various flashing lights, which sucks, but quite honestly, I'd rather play Metal Slug without slowdown than the NG original with hitflashes. Point is, the PS2 compilation is a completely worthless pile of shit.

Also, I really want to know which version of SSF2THDR is better... after watching the 1UP show I really want it. Personally, I'm hoping the PS3 version is better because I want to use my damn HRAP 3 for something, but... well, it's the PS3, so that probably won't happen. That game really needs to come out.

[quote name='Chacrana']Okay, I just need to pop in here to say that the PS2 compilation is the biggest piece of shit SNK's ever produced, regardless of price. Every game skips frames like mad crazy. Hell, the fucking front-end menu doesn't even run smoothly. The Wii version, however, is a lot better, and while yeah, it's twice the price, it also has every game looking cleaner (higher res, not filters) and games run without slowdown. You lose the various flashing lights, which sucks, but quite honestly, I'd rather play Metal Slug without slowdown than the NG original with hitflashes. Point is, the PS2 compilation is a completely worthless pile of shit.

Also, I really want to know which version of SSF2THDR is better... after watching the 1UP show I really want it. Personally, I'm hoping the PS3 version is better because I want to use my damn HRAP 3 for something, but... well, it's the PS3, so that probably won't happen. That game really needs to come out.[/quote]

Welcome back to the land of the living, Chac. :lol:

[quote name='Chacrana']Okay, I just need to pop in here to say that the PS2 compilation is the biggest piece of shit SNK's ever produced, regardless of price. Every game skips frames like mad crazy. Hell, the fucking front-end menu doesn't even run smoothly. The Wii version, however, is a lot better, and while yeah, it's twice the price, it also has every game looking cleaner (higher res, not filters) and games run without slowdown. You lose the various flashing lights, which sucks, but quite honestly, I'd rather play Metal Slug without slowdown than the NG original with hitflashes. Point is, the PS2 compilation is a completely worthless pile of shit.

Also, I really want to know which version of SSF2THDR is better... after watching the 1UP show I really want it. Personally, I'm hoping the PS3 version is better because I want to use my damn HRAP 3 for something, but... well, it's the PS3, so that probably won't happen. That game really needs to come out.[/QUOTE]

To each his own I guess. I enjoyed Magician Lord and a few other games that were on it. I've played the Metal Slugs to death, so I'm not even sure if I ever tried it on the compilation or not. Like I said though, to each his own.

Also, just got Little Big Planet in the mail. Where would I find your Street Fighter level, ReRo?

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']To each his own I guess. I enjoyed Magician Lord and a few other games that were on it. I've played the Metal Slugs to death, so I'm not even sure if I ever tried it on the compilation or not. Like I said though, to each his own.

Also, just got Little Big Planet in the mail. Where would I find your Street Fighter level, ReRo?[/QUOTE]

Well, aight, to be fair, I didn't notice the frame-rate issues with the PS2 version until I had the Wii version to do a side-by-side. Someone who's not especially anal about accuracy probably won't have the same level of outrage I did... but then, I carry a lifetime supply of Haterade with me.

Speaking of things I hate, I don't hate Gears 2... I played that shit for 9 1/2 hours straight on Thursday once my monitor started working again.

And MM's word on ST HD has me more optimistic. I'm still probably going to wait a few days and see what the word is up at SRK and see what people here are picking up, but yeah. It's been far too long since I've devoted a good chunk of time to a fighter. Also, I finally threw those Sanwa buttons into my HRAP 3 last week and holy shit are they sensitive. I absolutely love it.

Lesson: Capcom rulez, SNK droolz.

I hope SNK no longer droolz... they need a comeback and I can't say they will or wont.

glad ur back even if it's lyke whun pohst gaiz!

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']
Also, just got Little Big Planet in the mail. Where would I find your Street Fighter level, ReRo?[/quote]

Just go to your planet [left planet] and look at your friends there. find me, click me and it'll load up all the levels I made. enjoy :)

I just hope SNK doesn't fuck up their future releases. *cough* KOF XII *cough*

Also got a little bored and popped in my import of Garou: MOTW.

This game is just awesome. I can sort of understand why it wasn't included in any of the Fatal Fury Battle Archives. It definitely can stand alone among the rest of the various 2D fighters out there.

Reminds me, anyone play this game on GGPO? I'm definitely up for playing someone on MOTW or ST later tonight (4PM here).

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back