GGT #114 Can't Wait For The Flood Of New Kinect Games at E3!!

[quote name='distgfx']Just my friends, but there's no denying piracy is really bad on both platforms. I'm merely describing my own experience with piracy.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I agree that it's bad on both and it seems a little bit odd that companies don't seem to do much to fight console piracy. I guess the mainstream game-buying audience is big enough on 360 though that they tend to not worry about it as much. I mean your typical mainstream gamer these days seems to own a console instead of a PC and buy games like COD, Halo, Gears, ME, AC, etc. I don't think the audience and sales are big enough on PCs for the game companies to look the other way with piracy like they do on consoles.

[quote name='dmaul1114']That's hardly a representative sample though.

None of my friends pirate games on PC or consoles that I'm aware of. Doesn't mean piracy is rare.

It's a small sample as I only have a couple friends who are big into games, and the best are very casual gamers--like buy Madden and maybe one or two other games a year like Call of Duty or Halo.

For whatever reason, you happen to know more 360 pirates. Do you happen to know more people who are avid console gamers than avid pc gamers or something?[/QUOTE]

The avid PC gamers I know tend to buy all their software, whereas the avid console gamers (the majority) seem to pirate their games for their console and sometimes their PC.

[quote name='ihadFG']Yeah I agree that it's bad on both and it seems a little bit odd that companies don't seem to do much to fight console piracy. I guess the mainstream game-buying audience is big enough on 360 though that they tend to not worry about it as much. I mean your typically mainstream gamer these days seems to own a console instead of a PC and buy games like COD, Halo, Gears, ME, AC, etc. I don't think the audience and sales are big enough on PCs for the game companies to look the other way with piracy.[/QUOTE]

They're attempting to, but it's hurting those who rent games. You can't rent PC games legally as far as I know, so it's a bit more complicated.

[quote name='distgfx']
They're attempting to, but it's hurting those who rent games. You can't rent PC games legally as far as I know, so it's a bit more complicated.[/QUOTE]

I don't really see it as a major thing that's happening though. I mean there are companies that are trying to combat used game sale and rentals, but I don't see as many that really seem to be going after piracy on consoles. Not that I'm complaining about it though. :lol: Anti-piracy measures only seem to hurt legitimate customers like myself.

[quote name='ihadFG']I don't really see it as a major thing that's happening though. I mean there are companies that are trying to combat used game sale and rentals, but I don't see as many that really seem to be going after piracy on consoles. Not that I'm complaining about it though. :lol: Anti-piracy measures only seem to hurt legitimate customers like myself.[/QUOTE]

I'm talking mainly about these "Online Pass" things that companies are doing. Even a pirate who has access to XBL/PSN will have to cough up $10 to play online.

[quote name='distgfx']I'm talking mainly about these "Online Pass" things that companies are doing. Even a pirate who has access to XBL/PSN will have to cough up $10 to play online.[/QUOTE]

That's true, but I don't think the intentions were as much of an anti-piracy measure as they were a way to still make money off of used game sales.

[quote name='ihadFG']That's true, but I don't think the intentions were as much of an anti-piracy measure as they were a way to still make money off of used game sales.[/QUOTE]

Give it time.

[quote name='ihadFG']That's true, but I don't think the intentions were as much of an anti-piracy measure as they were a way to still make money off of used game sales.[/QUOTE]I agree with this. I think Microsoft's way of dealing with hacked consoles (by banning them every so often) is the best way to handle it.

[quote name='distgfx']The avid PC gamers I know tend to buy all their software, whereas the avid console gamers (the majority) seem to pirate their games for their console and sometimes their PC.
[/QUOTE]

Just a fluke of who you know I guess.

There's just no way console gaming piracy is as high as PCs given the need to mod, and burn game discs etc. vs. just downloading a game from a torrent or warez site on the PC.

Hell, piracy has nearly killed PC gaming since it's so rampant, while console gaming is still making record profits.

The simple fact is most hard core pirates are computer geek types who spend hours pirating shit they'll never get around to playing/watching/listening too.

Again, not saying there aren't a huge number of people running modded consoles and pirating games on the 360 and PS3, because there are.

I just can't see there be more pirates on consoles. At least percentage wise--the number could be higher since console gaming has so far eclipsed PC gaming.

But I can't imagine there aren't a higher percentage of people playing a pirated copy of Starcraft 2 than there are playing pirated copies of say Halo: Reach on the 360.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']I agree with this. I think Microsoft's way of dealing with hacked consoles (by banning them every so often) is the best way to handle it.[/QUOTE]

Yep. That's an advantage the consoles have in stopping piracy as they have ways to detect that the machine has been modded and just ban it. Not perfect as pirates can just avoid playing games online of course. But it's something to discourage it a tad at least.

I don't really have a problem with online passes, or "free" dlc with new game purchase like Mass Effect 2 with the Cerberus network.

As much as I like getting games from Goozex etc., I understand the need of developers to make money and encourage people to buy their games new rather than used (or pirating them).

I may still wait for a price drop/sale rather than paying $50-60 at launch, but if there's free DLC/online pass at least their still getting my money vs. me just waiting to get it on Goozex. So that's a pretty smart move on their part IMO.

[quote name='dmaul1114']The simple fact is most hard core pirates are computer geek types who spend hours pirating shit they'll never get around to playing/watching/listening too.[/QUOTE]

This sounds exactly like a certain somebody I know in the GGT, you know who you are!

[quote name='CaptainJoel']I agree with this. I think Microsoft's way of dealing with hacked consoles (by banning them every so often) is the best way to handle it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I think so too. At least with banning people from live, it will stop some people from pirating multi-player games or from pirating single-player games if they care about online features like achievements and stuff.

[quote name='distgfx']This sounds exactly like a certain somebody I know in the GGT, you know who you are![/QUOTE]

fuck man, you got me.

Busted.

I just finished downloading every season of Cheers and Beethoven's entire collection too. :cry:

[quote name='distgfx']Just my friends, but there's no denying piracy is really bad on both platforms. I'm merely describing my own experience with piracy.[/QUOTE]

Most people I know don't have good enough computers to run the shit they want to pirate.
If they find someone to mod their 360 for $40 bucks, their 360 can play any game they want so long as it's a 360 game.

I think piracy in general, including software other than games, is a rampant on PC. But I think the number of gamers who play PC games vs console games... that in itself probably evens out the rest.

[quote name='ihadFG']Yeah, I think so too. At least with banning people from live, it will stop some people from pirating multi-player games or from pirating single-player games if they care about online features like achievements and stuff.[/QUOTE]

The only thing that a pirate loses on the 360 is the ability to play that game on live.
Achievements, local multiplayer, etc. all still function.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Just a fluke of who you know I guess.

There's just no way console gaming piracy is as high as PCs given the need to mod, and burn game discs etc. vs. just downloading a game from a torrent or warez site on the PC.

Hell, piracy has nearly killed PC gaming since it's so rampant, while console gaming is still making record profits.

The simple fact is most hard core pirates are computer geek types who spend hours pirating shit they'll never get around to playing/watching/listening too.

Again, not saying there aren't a huge number of people running modded consoles and pirating games on the 360 and PS3, because there are.

I just can't see there be more pirates on consoles. At least percentage wise--the number could be higher since console gaming has so far eclipsed PC gaming.

But I can't imagine there aren't a higher percentage of people playing a pirated copy of Starcraft 2 than there are playing pirated copies of say Halo: Reach on the 360.[/QUOTE]

I think you're underestimating the fact that the people who actually care about building a "rig" capable of running just about anything out there at good or max settings are willing to buy all their games.
Modding isn't as hard as you're making it out to be. And if all your friends are playing on 360? You do the math. It's the same reason a buddy of mine had a binder full of dreamcast games back in 2001 and everyone hung out in his room playing whatever.
fuck, if you consider the DS a console, which it sort of is... at least closer to consoles than it is to PCs... the amount of piracy going on there and with PSP? Insane.

--

I like Penny Arcade a lot, but some of the level jumps that happen... like the new fruit fuckers I just ran into... my lord. Not fair. Especially aggravating when I'm trying to get all trophies.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='corrosivefrost']

I like Penny arcade a lot, but some of the level jumps that happen... like the new fruit fuckers I just ran into... my lord. Not fair.[/QUOTE]
Yep, I had the same thing happen. You're using items, right? You kind of have to early on.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']Yep, I had the same thing happen. You're using items, right? You kind of have to early on.[/QUOTE]

I have everything complete except the boardwalk... just got in there.
All robot parts, etc. I think I have all sidequests done down in hoboville.
I just beat the shithole slumlord. He was kind of a bitch.
I think my dudes are all level 7 ish. But I found 2 fruit fuckers with like 250 hp that just RAPED me. I shut it off after that.

I think I probably need to use the oranges on them.
I was just killing hobos for so fuckin' long that I forgot about oranges and mime boxes.

[quote name='corrosivefrost']
The only thing that a pirate loses on the 360 is the ability to play that game on live.
Achievements, local multiplayer, etc. all still function.[/QUOTE]

I meant achievements in the sense that their friends couldn't see them since they aren't on live. But yeah, the main issue for pirates would just be playing the game online. Most other stuff isn't important enough.

[quote name='ihadFG']I meant achievements in the sense that their friends couldn't see them since they aren't on live. But yeah, the main issue for pirates would just be playing the game online. Most other stuff isn't important enough.[/QUOTE]

True, but that only happens when the console is banned. Until then...
And even afterwards, there's nothing to stop them from buying a new 360 that isn't banned, using that on Live with their tag, then continuing to play on their banned box for everything else.

I don't know why the Raptr people didn't hold off on the new design until they had all of the features working, as you can't manually add time to your profile along with a few other things.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']This jury duty is killing me...[/QUOTE]

eh that sucks. I was on grand jury duty last august for about 3 weeks. The only thing that was marginally nice about it was that the days weren't necessarily 8 hours long.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']Oh yeah, I know lots of people that use Custom FirmWare for their PSPs. It's funny, everyone I know that does it have all the Pokemon games and still mod their PSPs to play Pokemon.[/QUOTE]

If I knew someone who could do it to my PSP I would do it in a second. I just want to play battletoads on it...

[quote name='corrosivefrost']I have everything complete except the boardwalk... just got in there.
I think my dudes are all level 7 ish. But I found 2 fruit fuckers with like 250 hp that just RAPED me. I shut it off after that.

I was just killing hobos for so fuckin' long that I forgot about oranges and mime boxes.[/QUOTE]Luckily you won't be having any trouble at all in the second game. The game eases the difficulty up a lot more smoothly. The second game also concentrates more on the things that made the first game so great.

[quote name='Eviltude']If I knew someone who could do it to my PSP I would do it in a second. I just want to play battletoads on it...[/QUOTE]
I probably would, too. I would love to be able to play my NES shit without having to hook it up.

Really enjoying the gaming habits I've formed over the last few months. Only making sure to play things I absolutely want to, instead of just giving everything a try and being really disappointed half of the time. Yay me. [quote name='hankmecrankme']
I just finished downloading every season of Cheers and Beethoven's entire collection too. :cry:[/QUOTE]I just got the entire series of The Wonder Years. So much weed+TWY coming up these next few days it's sick.

EDIT: Check Craigslist, Eviltude. Dudes always advertise modding shit on there.

Platinumed LA Noire...36 hours. Think I'll be waiting before I dive into the DLC (not that I really have a choice with the store still down)

[quote name='ihadFG']Finished Crysis 2. I found the first half to be a bit boring, but the second half made up for it. Good game.[/QUOTE]
I agree with this. I also really loved the ability to customize weapons. That was probably my favorite bit.

[quote name='diddy310']Platinumed LA Noire...36 hours. Think I'll be waiting before I dive into the DLC (not that I really have a choice with the store still down)[/QUOTE]

I'm trying to force myself to go back and play it, but I just can't. What I played was ok, but it just didn't grab me.

I only got up to the
Hit and run case
does it get much better after?

[quote name='tiredfornow']Really enjoying the gaming habits I've formed over the last few months. Only making sure to play things I absolutely want to, instead of just giving everything a try and being really disappointed half of the time. Yay me.
[/quote]
I've been playing this way too lately. It's great. ^__^

I just got the entire series of The Wonder Years. So much weed+TWY coming up these next few days it's sick.
Dude, that Winnie is soooooo hot. :drool:

Hook me up with a lil' bit of that primo kush and some lotion, cuz Imma go to town.

Got a 360 update just now, is it the one that lets me play my free copy of Reach on my new 360 Slimz?

D&D Daggerdale on XBLA is one stanky turd ass of a game. Boring ass combat FTW.

[quote name='diddy310']Platinumed LA Noire...36 hours. Think I'll be waiting before I dive into the DLC (not that I really have a choice with the store still down)[/QUOTE]

You might be the first in the world to do it. As of Saturday, Rockstar Social Club said no one had done it.

I think other people have done it, on the Social Club site the Platinum Trophy and the Lead Foot (drive above 80 for 10 seconds) trophy are listed as locked for me still even though I have them.

Red Dead's Social Club page had similar issues from what I remember.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='whoknows']I'm trying to force myself to go back and play it, but I just can't. What I played was ok, but it just didn't grab me.

I only got up to the
Hit and run case
does it get much better after?[/QUOTE]

I think you would end up stopping about halfway through Homicide..it really dragged at that point for me. If you manage to stick through that the Vice cases are fun..but you are a pretty long way off from that.

[quote name='whoknows']I'm trying to force myself to go back and play it, but I just can't. What I played was ok, but it just didn't grab me.

I only got up to the
Hit and run case
does it get much better after?[/QUOTE]

I found the homicide cases to be significantly more interesting than traffic. Plus just getting used to the game mechanics tends to make a game seem better anyway. So I think you should definitely give it some more time.

[quote name='Eviltude']If I knew someone who could do it to my PSP I would do it in a second. I just want to play battletoads on it...[/QUOTE]

Have you looked into doing it yourself?

[quote name='CaptainJoel']I agree with this. I also really loved the ability to customize weapons. That was probably my favorite bit.[/QUOTE]

I really liked customizing your abilities with the alien juices. Extended stealth = win.

[quote name='ihadFG']
I really liked customizing your abilities with the alien juices. Extended stealth = win.[/QUOTE]
I didn't really enjoy that as much because even after unlocking them all I didn't feel powerful enough. I guess I really just wanted to be a Crackdown agent in the Crysis world.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']I didn't really enjoy that as much because even after unlocking them all I didn't feel powerful enough. I guess I really just wanted to be a Crackdown agent in the Crysis world.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I never really felt very powerful either. But that's why I played it stealth, and the extended stealth just seemed to last forever (or at least long enough for me to get to the next "safe" spot to recharge with ease.

[quote name='ihadFG']Yeah, I never really felt very powerful either. But that's why I played it stealth, and the extended stealth just seemed to last forever (or at least long enough for me to get to the next "safe" spot to recharge with ease.[/QUOTE]
I totally agree there. I loved using it on the
Island level towards the end of the game. I was able to go through that entire level without being spotted except for the point where I had to kill the Black Ops dude. What'd you think of the story?

[quote name='corrosivefrost']I have everything complete except the boardwalk... just got in there.

I was just killing hobos for so fuckin' long that I forgot about oranges and mime boxes.[/QUOTE]

PA bored me around that point I quit then

[quote name='CaptainJoel']I totally agree there. I loved using it on the
Island level towards the end of the game. I was able to go through that entire level without being spotted except for the point where I had to kill the Black Ops dude. What'd you think of the story?
[/QUOTE]

Ha, that level was exactly what I had in mind too.

As for the story,
it seemed kind of bad at first, but it got better in the second half just like the rest of the game. I never finished the first Crysis though, so I probably missed any references to the first game. Overall I thought it was a decent story, but nothing that hasn't really been done before aside from the suit. It seemed to have some potential, but a lot of the execution of the plot just seemed okay.

[quote name='ihadFG']Ha, that level was exactly what I had in mind too.

As for the story,
it seemed kind of bad at first, but it got better in the second half just like the rest of the game. I never finished the first Crysis though, so I probably missed any references to the first game. Overall I thought it was a decent story, but nothing that hasn't really been done before aside from the suit. It seemed to have some potential, but a lot of the execution of the plot just seemed okay.
[/QUOTE]
I felt the exact same about the story. Overall, great game, but it made me reallllly want a Star Kid video game.

[quote name='tiredfornow']Check Craigslist, Eviltude. Dudes always advertise modding shit on there.[/QUOTE]

I'm too pretty to fux with the craiglist. I'd get anal sex against my will.

Saw this posted on GAF, and if so..yes please.

A reliable source told iWaggle3D today that the Raiden-centered MGS spin-off Metal Gear Solid Rising has switched developer, escaping Kojima Production to infiltrate Platinum Games (Bayonetta, Vanquish). Viewtiful Joe and Bayonetta creator Hideki Kamiya is apparently directing the game.

But wait, there is more...

While unable to confirm nor deny Move support for Rising, our source shed some light on future plans regarding the MGS franchise as a whole.

Besides confirming the PS3 remake of Peace Walker (likely to be a "PSP Remaster" with possibly 3D support, albeit he couldn't tell for sure), he also revealed that the next installment in the "main" MGS franchise (Metal Gear Solid 5, basically) is scheduled for this generation as a multiplatform release, with PS3, Xbox 360, NGP and "possibly 3DS" mentioned as landing platforms.

Finally, PC remakes of MGS1, MGS2, MGS3 and MGS4 are bound to be released digitally via Valve's e-Commerce portal Steam.

Of course, like with any rumor, you might want to digest all of the above with a pinch of salt. While I have no reason not to trust the source that shared these details (I wouldn't relay this information to you otherwise), internal production plans can change, so...

Hopefully the upcoming E3 will set things in stone with some official
confirmations from Konami.
http://www.iwaggle3d.com/2011/05/rumor-platinum-games-in-charge-for-mgs.html

Platinum now making MGS Rising? I find that one believable.

Peace Walker to PS3/360/NGP and maybe 3DS? PS3 I can believe, 360 I can believe. NGP and 3DS...no way in hell.

MGS1-4 remakes just for Steam? COMPLETE BULLSHIT. Konami wouldn't be dumb enough to do something like that unless they released on all consoles, probably Project Cafe as well.

bread's done
Back