GGT 156 Once Again Flirts With Disaster.

[quote name='icebeast']Woot I'm in Berkeley, CA now![/QUOTE]

Only a hour and a half away...

[quote name='whoknows']She Hulk has bad vision?[/QUOTE]

1782_8f74.jpeg

[quote name='dmaul1114']Not liking the MW3 multiplayer at all. Maps are terrible, lots of lag, spawning near enemies etc. Regret buying the hardened edition, but at least I hadn't redeemed the elite codes as my main Live account got hacked and is locked down while they are investigating so I was able to sell those and get some cash back.

Still need to play the campaign and check out spec ops but want to wait and do that when I get my account back so I don't lose achievements.[/QUOTE]

The maps definitely take some getting used to. They are significantly more crowded than previous games.

[quote name='corrosivefrost']
I was half interested in the 3DS mario game, however, I remembered I haven't really liked a 3D mario since Mario 64... so I don't think it'd be good enough to sway me into considering a 3DS purchase. Besides, I'll wait for the 3DS lite with the integrated 2nd analong nub. 8)[/QUOTE]

You didn't like the Galaxy games? :roll:

[quote name='panzerfaust']LoL is actually extremely polished now, compared to 2 years ago. I'd recommend it over HoN any day.[/QUOTE]

No deny, no play. I want people I play against to fear the fact that if they don't make the last hit, they will NEVER get the experience.

JSP: You are just getting older. Happens. Ask for clothes, EXPENSIVE clothes for xmas.

Star Wars: The Old Republic will be the death of me. Got to play it for about an hour over the weekend. The only reason I didn't play any longer was because I knew the character I had was going to be deleted. If that was not the case, I would still be playing.

Also, everyone go watch Super 8. Well done monster movie with a few grimaces, but overall a refreshing monster movie.

[quote name='BlueScrote']You didn't like the Galaxy games? :roll:[/QUOTE]

Not from what little I played, which admittedly wasn't much. They reminded me more of SMS than SM64... I don't know what it was, but that "magic" just wasn't there for me. Could've been the controls, could've been the powerups, I don't know, but I didn't like SMG, so I didn't even bother with SMG2. Then again, you need to realize how much I loved SM64. It was enough to make me beg my parents for an N64 for Christmas or my Birthday. They couldn't pry me off the demo kiosk... I was mesmerized. It got its hooks so deep in me that I *had* to get all 120 stars, no matter what -- and I played and played and played until I did. Unfortunately, SM64DS seemed to have lost that magic. I blame the stylus controls on that one. Either that or the game didn't hold up well over the years... SMG just wasn't the same, it felt more like SMS to me, so I stopped playing not very far in and got rid of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ihadFG']I haven't had a problem with lag, and I don't dislike the maps, but the spawning near enemies thing is a real problem for me too. I think it's amplified by the fact that some of the maps are just too small, and COD players are constantly running all over the place like kids with ADHD.[/QUOTE]

The maps are just small and crowded with buildings that all look the same and have a ton of paths in and out.

Basically the maps remind me of the maps I hated in past games like Stockpile and Silo from the Black Ops map packs.

CoD has always been more about mid-range and long range combat. With these claustrophobic maps most of them just end up with everyone run around and a ton of close quarters combat which often comes down to whoever has the least lag.

Add in all the drop shooting, quick scoping etc. going on and the game just isn't much fun. Big disappointment as I liked Black Ops a lot more than MW2 and was hoping this would be at least as good. But it has all the same problems that made MW2 worse than CoD4 and has worse maps.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']So stoked for tonight's midnight release! I can't wait to get ahold of UMvC3 and AC:R![/QUOTE]

I'm going to get AC:R too.

On BF. For $35 :cool:

It is going to be good though I bet. More Altair is always good.

I still need to try to get into AC: Brotherhood. Will probably give that another go after getting my main Live account back and finishing DA2 and doing the MW3 campaign. Will probably try to mainly stick to story missions this time as I was getting annoyed with the Borgia towers and other crap before.

Hmmm, someone on Half.com has a brand new copy of UMvC3 for $30.
I wonder (1) why it's so cheap and (2) if buying a new copy second hand counts as buying it new or used. :whistle2:k

[quote name='corrosivefrost']Hmmm, someone on Half.com has a brand new copy of UMvC3 for $30.
I wonder (1) why it's so cheap and (2) if buying a new copy second hand counts as buying it new or used. :whistle2:k[/QUOTE]

Capcom doesn't get your money.

[quote name='distgfx']Capcom doesn't get your money.[/QUOTE]

This is very true... however, I can't use points off my credit card or gamestop trade credit to pay for it. :whistle2:k

Weekend was fun as hell, drank a ton of Kraken and Cherry Coke and some Patron, ate a fat ass gyro on Saturday night and just chilled and talked about shit with friends. Sunday I smoked a whole chicken and watched football with friends, ate a ton of burgers and chicken. Weather was perfect for mid November. Great weekend.

Need my Batmang, gotta wait 8 days though. :bomb:

[quote name='corrosivefrost']Not from what little I played, which admittedly wasn't much. They reminded me more of SMS than SM64... I don't know what it was, but that "magic" just wasn't there for me. Could've been the controls, could've been the powerups, I don't know, but I didn't like SMG, so I didn't even bother with SMG2. Then again, you need to realize how much I loved SM64. It was enough to make me beg my parents for an N64 for Christmas or my Birthday. They couldn't pry me off the demo kiosk... I was mesmerized. It got its hooks so deep in me that I *had* to get all 120 stars, no matter what -- and I played and played and played until I did. Unfortunately, SM64DS seemed to have lost that magic. I blame the stylus controls on that one. Either that or the game didn't hold up well over the years... SMG just wasn't the same, it felt more like SMS to me, so I stopped playing not very far in and got rid of it.[/QUOTE]

The Galaxy games were significantly more linear the SM64. SM64 was very open world compared to sunshine/galaxy. Galaxy had some fantastic platforming segments, which are really what Mario is all about to me.

Aww, yeah, got a Tribes beta key.

[quote name='BlueScrote']The Galaxy games were significantly more linear the SM64. SM64 was very open world compared to sunshine/galaxy. Galaxy had some fantastic platforming segments, which are really what Mario is all about to me.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the Galaxy games are my favorite platformers ever. They're set up with just such a fun and creative level design all around. And like you said, they are much more linear than SM64 (and Sunshine.)

---

Speaking of platformers, I'm really enjoying Kirby's Return to Dreamland. And much like Epic Yarn, this game has a great soundtrack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03O3lt-BxEo

[quote name='whoknows']Rayman Origins is going to be the best platformer this gen I bet.[/QUOTE]

I'm planning to pick it up on Black Friday. It looks fantastic.

[quote name='ihadFG']Yeah, the Galaxy games are my favorite platformers ever. They're set up with just such a fun and creative level design all around. And like you said, they are much more linear than SM64 (and Sunshine.)[/QUOTE]

I personally really liked Galaxy 1, enough to get all the stars (did the same with Mario 64). Galaxy 2 I was enjoying a lot too, but still haven't finished it yet, should get back to it at some point. Really I've liked all the 3D Mario games, although Sunshine did have its problems, the biggest of which for me was having so many stars relegated to blue coin collection/trading rather than actually having them in the levels, and the totally wacky difficulty spikes, like stars went from being cake walks to being hellish torture (basically a large majority of the secret area stars, they trained you to use that jet pack all the time, then they take it away and put you in some of the hardest jumping puzzles ever in 3D mario).

[quote name='icebeast']I personally really liked Galaxy 1, enough to get all the stars (did the same with Mario 64). Galaxy 2 I was enjoying a lot too, but still haven't finished it yet, should get back to it at some point. Really I've liked all the 3D Mario games, although Sunshine did have its problems, the biggest of which for me was having so many stars relegated to blue coin collection/trading rather than actually having them in the levels, and the totally wacky difficulty spikes, like stars went from being cake walks to being hellish torture (basically a large majority of the secret area stars, they trained you to use that jet pack all the time, then they take it away and put you in some of the hardest jumping puzzles ever in 3D mario).[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I agree about the blue coin thing in Sunshine. That just seemed kind of plain in comparison to the more creative ways to collect stars. As for the secret areas, I actually really liked those. They could be very hard at times, but I enjoyed the challenge. I don't mind the varying difficulty in those games because you don't actually have to get all the stars to beat the game. But the challenging ones are there for those who want to.

[quote name='ihadFG']Yeah, I agree about the blue coin thing in Sunshine. That just seemed kind of plain in comparison to the more creative ways to collect stars. As for the secret areas, I actually really liked those. They could be very hard at times, but I enjoyed the challenge. I don't mind the varying difficulty in those games because you don't actually have to get all the stars to beat the game. But the challenging ones are there for those who want to.[/QUOTE]
I mean it was less about them being challenging, many of them were still fun but really hard and you felt like you had mastered something by the end, as that they were mixed randomly in so it felt like really strange to go easy star, easy star, easy star, death incarnate star, easy star, death incarnate star, etc... Just made the difficulty of the game seem to fluctuate way too much, especially early in the game.

Galaxy 1 seemed to do a much better job of ramping the difficulty up so that the game felt more challenging as you progressed further, and I mean there was still some fluctuation, but not nearly as much, and again it wasn't like Galaxy 1 was teaching you to use an ability, the jet pack in Sunshine, and then another part was trying to teach you how to do stuff without having the item that the entire rest of the game was based around, the secret areas, which was kind of also the problem. Like the main game taught you to use the jet pack as a crutch to help correct and control jumps, and then you get used to that and aren't prepared at all for the secret areas where you don't have it and all your jumps need to be perfect.

[quote name='icebeast']I mean it was less about them being challenging, many of them were still fun but really hard and you felt like you had mastered something by the end, as that they were mixed randomly in so it felt like really strange to go easy star, easy star, easy star, death incarnate star, easy star, death incarnate star, etc... Just made the difficulty of the game seem to fluctuate way too much, especially early in the game.

Galaxy 1 seemed to do a much better job of ramping the difficulty up so that the game felt more challenging as you progressed further, and I mean there was still some fluctuation, but not nearly as much, and again it wasn't like Galaxy 1 was teaching you to use an ability, the jet pack in Sunshine, and then another part was trying to teach you how to do stuff without having the item that the entire rest of the game was based around, the secret areas, which was kind of also the problem. Like the main game taught you to use the jet pack as a crutch to help correct and control jumps, and then you get used to that and aren't prepared at all for the secret areas where you don't have it and all your jumps need to be perfect.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I see what you mean. Those secret areas didn't really fit with the rest of the game. Whenever I'd get to them, I'd basically switch gears mentally, as if it was a mini-game within the main game.

Need some advice.

I'm thinking of taking advantage of the Kmart BOGO 50% off deal. I must have Skyrim... but I'm not sure what to combo with it. On top of this, I have a $20 coupon from the purchase of BF3. No desire to get anywhere near MW3... but was considering Saints Row: The Third. Already have UC3, B:AC, BF3 and R&C:A4O. Too bad this deal isn't running the week of WWE 12.

So whatcha think? With this deal, I could essentially get two games for $70ish. Even if I were to resell the other (not Skyrim).

Decisions... decisions.

Who fucking cares? I see "need some advice" and I think "yo yo, real talk."

REAL TALK.

I LOVE REAL TALK.

But that shit was phony.

fuck that.

But real talk: Don't get Saint's Row unless it's under $20, or you're Mexican.

[quote name='metaphysicalstyles']Need some advice.

I'm thinking of taking advantage of the Kmart BOGO 50% off deal. I must have Skyrim... but I'm not sure what to combo with it. On top of this, I have a $20 coupon from the purchase of BF3. No desire to get anywhere near MW3... but was considering Saints Row: The Third. Already have UC3, B:AC, BF3 and R&C:A4O. Too bad this deal isn't running the week of WWE 12.

So whatcha think? With this deal, I could essentially get two games for $70ish. Even if I were to resell the other (not Skyrim).

Decisions... decisions.[/QUOTE]

:360::ps3: Modern Warfare 3 $59.99
:360::ps3: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim $59.99
:360::ps3: Saint's Row: The Third $59.99
:360::ps3: Assassin's Creed: Revelations $59.99
:360::ps3: Rayman Origins $59.99
:360::ps3: Need for Speed: The Run $59.99
:360: Halo Anniversary $39.99

Out of those I would say Assassin's Creed.

Finished Battlefield 3 single player on Saturday night. It started out pretty good, but towards the end it got kind of annoying with the checkpoints suddenly being placed right in front of unskippable cut scenes, or being a bit too far out from the start of a level. I think I liked the SP in Battlefield 2 a little better, if only because the characters seemed more fleshed out (if a bit too cookie-cutter). I don't think I'll receive either MW3 or Skyrim before I jet off to So Cal for vacay, so that might be it on consoles for a little while.

I mus' b part Mehi-can 'cuz I be gettin dat Saints Row, esse.

[quote name='ihadFG']Yeah, I see what you mean. Those secret areas didn't really fit with the rest of the game. Whenever I'd get to them, I'd basically switch gears mentally, as if it was a mini-game within the main game.[/QUOTE]

The problem for me is it felt like it was taking something away rather than giving you something new to use. So in Galaxy 1 all the suits you get to wear give you new powers that you need to use to get the star, whereas in Sunshine they basically take away abilities that you have used extensively throughout something like 80% of the game. I guess for me it is kind of a mindset of, oh cool they are giving me something new to play with, vs what the heck why are they taking away my water pack!?

[quote name='diddy310']:360::ps3: Modern Warfare 3 $59.99

Out of those I would say Assassin's Creed.[/QUOTE]

That list is missing Dark Souls.

[quote name='ihadFG']Yeah, the Galaxy games are my favorite platformers ever. They're set up with just such a fun and creative level design all around. And like you said, they are much more linear than SM64 (and Sunshine.)
[/QUOTE]

I played a bit of the early world(s) and I just really didn't like the powerups or controls or layout... I remember turning into a bee and thinking it was lame... I don't know.. it just felt kind of ... recycled... or something to me. Almost like they were just going through the motions or something. Maybe if I played more, I would have liked it... but after forcing myself to play and finish SMS, I had no interest in forcing myself to do the same with SMG if I wasn't having fun.

That said, some of the 2Dish looking sections looked awesome in the SMG2 stuff I saw around its release. NSMB Wii was at least a solid old-school-ish entry from what I played. And as I said previously, I had hopes that SML3D or whatever it's called might be closer to the original SM64 experience for me... or maybe I just don't like Nintendo games any more. I mean, I was a HUGE LoZ fan -- but after the N64/GCN/GBA games (WW to a lesser extent of the two, because I hated the sailing), the series has lost it's magic. I no longer care. At least with WW, when I wasn't doing the stupid boring-ass sailing, I was having a wonderful time in the dungeons until it was cut short (minus the stupid stealth portion at the beginning). But as it stands, I forced myself through phantom hourglass and refused to touch spirit tracks since I disliked playing PH on the DS. And now Skyward Sword is here and I can't help to muster anything more than a "feh." Maybe it's the artstyle. Maybe it's that it's a Wii game and I don't like the control scheme (much like the DS entries). I don't know. :(

--

That said, people who have played all the 3D mario games and are playing SML3D, please let me know how it compares to Galaxy/Sunshine/64. I'd love to find that I'm magically swept into the wonderment of exploring another world as Mario again someday.

[quote name='corrosivefrost']I played a bit of the early world(s) and I just really didn't like the powerups or controls or layout... I remember turning into a bee and thinking it was lame... I don't know.. it just felt kind of ... recycled... or something to me. Almost like they were just going through the motions or something. Maybe if I played more, I would have liked it... but after forcing myself to play and finish SMS, I had no interest in forcing myself to do the same with SMG if I wasn't having fun.

That said, some of the 2Dish looking sections looked awesome in the SMG2 stuff I saw around its release. NSMB Wii was at least a solid old-school-ish entry from what I played. And as I said previously, I had hopes that SML3D or whatever it's called might be closer to the original SM64 experience for me... or maybe I just don't like Nintendo games any more. I mean, I was a HUGE LoZ fan -- but after the N64/GCN/GBA games (WW to a lesser extent of the two, because I hated the sailing), the series has lost it's magic. I no longer care. At least with WW, when I wasn't doing the stupid boring-ass sailing, I was having a wonderful time in the dungeons until it was cut short (minus the stupid stealth portion at the beginning). But as it stands, I forced myself through phantom hourglass and refused to touch spirit tracks since I disliked playing PH on the DS. And now Skyward Sword is here and I can't help to muster anything more than a "feh." Maybe it's the artstyle. Maybe it's that it's a Wii game and I don't like the control scheme (much like the DS entries). I don't know. :(
[/QUOTE]

Well the first Mario Galaxy does start out really easy, introducing you to the mechanics and powerups. There's not much to it at first, but after a few levels, things started to really pick up (for me at least). And the comets really made things interesting. If you ever have the chance to try out SMG2, I'd say do it, because that game cuts out everything that isn't great and makes the original Galaxy pale in comparison. It's probably the most pure fun I've ever had with a game.

As for the DS Zelda games, I'm with you on those completely. They weren't terrible, but they were disappointing as Zelda games. I'm pretty excited for Skyward Sword though.

[quote name='diddy310']:360::ps3: Modern Warfare 3 $59.99

Out of those I would say Assassin's Creed.[/QUOTE]

Assassins Creed will be $35 on BF so I'd wait on that personally.

I'm probably going to do Saints Row and Rayman.

Yeah, I'm just doing AC now because I have the 30 dollar Batman coupon to use up. Have Rayman on the way from Amazon but may return it and wait for it to be cheaper.

That does make things more convenient than going out on BF.

Even though Rayman is going to be $40 on BF I'd rather pay an extra $5 and not go to GS/have to pricematch elsewhere.

[quote name='metaphysicalstyles']Need some advice.

Decisions... decisions.[/QUOTE]

I'd say Saints Row 3 or Assassin's Creed depending on how big of an AC fan you are. I think most big AC fans though are getting the game at Gamestop for the extra edition limited to them and others are waiting for $35 on BF.

[quote name='whoknows']That does make things more convenient than going out on BF.

Even though Rayman is going to be $40 on BF I'd rather pay an extra $5 and not go to GS/have to pricematch elsewhere.[/QUOTE]

I'm just hoping amazon will have it for $40 so I can order it there.

[quote name='corrosivefrost']

That said, people who have played all the 3D mario games and are playing SML3D, please let me know how it compares to Galaxy/Sunshine/64. I'd love to find that I'm magically swept into the wonderment of exploring another world as Mario again someday.[/QUOTE]It's more like New Super Mario Bros. Wii mixed with Galaxy. The levels are all really small and pretty boxed off so there's never any options to really explore or do much like you could in Mario 64/Sunshine/Galaxy. Even if there were places to explore then the time limit would kill the joy in it. It's still fun, just a totally different game than 64/Sunshine/Galaxy.

[quote name='ihadFG']I'm just hoping amazon will have it for $40 so I can order it there.[/QUOTE]

I'm waiting to see if Amazon adds it to the b1g1 50% off they're doing now to match Kmart.

bread's done
Back