GGT 159 has zero potential

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='distgfx']Why do I love Web development so much? Oh, right, because I'm a fucking nerd. Can't wait to take ASP next year, would have preferred a class that taught PHP, but the basic concepts should carry over. Thankfully I already know a little PHP. ^_^[/QUOTE]

I wish my school had a web application class. Learned a lot of the concepts on the fly during an internship. PHP in particular I want to dig into since it's so easy to whip up a site.

[quote name='icebeast']Same, I'm hoping it will end up on sale during the holiday Steam sale.

I got my computer put together last night, had a couple problems (mostly with not having all the power cables plugged into the mobo correctly which made it so that it wouldn't boot). Whacked myself with the GPU fan, because I thought maybe that wasn't going and the GPU wasn't seated correctly which is why I wasn't getting any video output, but it was going and the problem was the power cables, haha. Also, those new CPU sockets are scary, like that thing made a grinding noise when I pulled the metal lever to hold it in place, and you have to apply a fair amount of force too, I was totally afraid I might be bending the pins.

My monitor seems nice, although I've only seen the bios screen on it so far (basically just got it booting last night with everything in it and the cables all tied away), although it does seem like it tends to shake a bit when I'm moving stuff on my desk.[/QUOTE]

Everytime I seat a heat sink I'm like too much paste? Not enough? toooo muuuch paste!

[quote name='BlueScrote']I wish my school had a web application class. Learned a lot of the concepts on the fly during an internship. PHP in particular I want to dig into since it's so easy to whip up a site.[/QUOTE]

That's a damned shame, I had a ton of fun in just my scripting class alone, and all that taught me was javascript and ajax.

[quote name='icebeast']Also, those new CPU sockets are scary, like that thing made a grinding noise when I pulled the metal lever to hold it in place, and you have to apply a fair amount of force too, I was totally afraid I might be bending the pins.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='BlueScrote']Everytime I seat a heat sink I'm like too much paste? Not enough? toooo muuuch paste![/QUOTE]

I used to be really into PC building, but these days that kind of shit is just a fucking pain in the ass. Now I'd rather just customize it online and have someone else build it for me.

Tomorrow night will be "game night" with my buddies. A good respite from next week's stress of a business trip--3 nights in a row of maintenances and all the corporate red tape that entails...ugh. I must keep reminding myself how lucky I am to have a good job.

I love building PCs. ^__^

I might route all of my fan power cables behind my mobo tray tonight. Gotta rewire all the power cables so they'll be long enough. Get that mess out of the way.

[quote name='gunm']I used to be really into PC building, but these days that kind of shit is just a fucking pain in the ass. Now I'd rather just customize it online and have someone else build it for me.[/QUOTE]

Eh, it isn't too bad, even with all the problems I had I still put everything together in a single evening, and it took about 5-6 hours. Would have gone faster if I had figured out the power cable issue faster.

[quote name='distgfx']That's a damned shame, I had a ton of fun in just my scripting class alone, and all that taught me was javascript and ajax.[/QUOTE]

Once I learned javascript, I loved it. Love dynamic weak-typed languages. The languages I learned in school were java, c++, c, and python. It was honestly pretty useless for actual learning.

[quote name='icebeast']Eh, it isn't too bad, even with all the problems I had I still put everything together in a single evening, and it took about 5-6 hours. Would have gone faster if I had figured out the power cable issue faster.[/QUOTE]

Ah to have 5-6 hours of free time all to myself.

Actually, I will sort of get that tomorrow night when my wife takes the kiddies to a party. 5-6 hours of gaming is a lot better than 5-6 hours of busy work. :p

[quote name='gunm']Ah to have 5-6 hours of free time all to myself.

Actually, I will sort of get that tomorrow night when my wife takes the kiddies to a party. 5-6 hours of gaming is a lot better than 5-6 hours of busy work. :p[/QUOTE]

Those are glorious times, are they not?

[quote name='hankmecrankme']I drew a castle completely in BASIC on a 286.

That's my programming achievement.[/QUOTE]

I made an animated dancing dude on my TI-99.

Unfortunately, my parents bought the thing as a closeout/cheapie sale item from Sears and didn't buy anything else. Hence I had no disk storage. Hence I couldn't save it.

:cry:

[quote name='BlueScrote']Once I learned javascript, I loved it. Love dynamic weak-typed languages. The languages I learned in school were java, c++, c, and python. It was honestly pretty useless for actual learning.[/QUOTE]

I've learned Java, C++, C and C# so far, but I had the most fun with javascript. I was never taught python, but I looked it up and it seems to be a language that is very strict when it comes to formatting. I know nothing about it beyond that.

[quote name='gunm']Ah to have 5-6 hours of free time all to myself.[/QUOTE]

To be fair that 5-6 hours had me up till 3:30am (since I didn't get home till somewhat late due to going to a party for my college's alumni being held in the city, and then picking up some stuff I still had at my friends while I was staying there temporarily) and I wake up for work at 7:30am... so I was kind of tired today, so it probably wasn't the best move, haha.

[quote name='Indignate']I like the first post. It goes well with the thread name.[/QUOTE]

I am so glad I made it a wiki now.

[quote name='hankmecrankme']Oh yeah, I'm calling it now.

Xbox 3D will be MS's next system.

3D and Kinect all in one place.

Will be amazing.[/QUOTE]

I can see it happening. And Microsoft will somehow drive another nail in the coffin of my longtime hobby. :(

[quote name='corrosivefrost']I can see it happening. And Microsoft will somehow drive another nail in the coffin of my longtime hobby. :([/QUOTE]

It's all good. I'll just treat it like I treat movies and music. That is, only play the older stuff that I like and ignore the new stuff.

[quote name='hankmecrankme']It's all good. I'll just treat it like I treat movies and music. That is, only play the older stuff that I like and ignore the new stuff.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but remember when good music used to come out ALL THE TIME. Sometimes you want something new for the sake of variety... how the hell can we get that when Justin Bieber clogs up the mainstream with his beloved masterpieces? :(

[quote name='corrosivefrost']Yeah, but remember when good music used to come out ALL THE TIME. Sometimes you want something new for the sake of variety... how the hell can we get that when Justin Bieber clogs up the mainstream with his beloved masterpieces? :([/QUOTE]

It's really not that hard to ignore Justin Bieber. If you know what you like, there's plenty of tools out there for finding new stuff you will actually like.

And as for games, Kinect style stuff will never be a replacement for traditional games. It's simply an expansion.

Agreed. Just need to hunt down older stuff you don't have.

And as far as music goes, avoid remasters at all costs. They always suck and are remastered for people running 128 kbps MP3s or AACs through their shitty iPod and shitty iPod earbuds. Dynamics get destroyed and loudness reigns.

[quote name='ihadFG']there's plenty of tools out there for finding new stuff you will actually like.[/QUOTE]

Since when have you been any good at helping people with that?

[quote name='hankmecrankme']Agreed. Just need to hunt down older stuff you don't have.

And as far as music goes, avoid remasters at all costs. They always suck and are remastered for people running 128 kbps MP3s or AACs through their shitty iPod and shitty iPod earbuds. Dynamics get destroyed and loudness reigns.[/QUOTE]

Pfff like there's any difference.

[quote name='ihadFG']It's really not that hard to ignore Justin Bieber. If you know what you like, there's plenty of tools out there for finding new stuff you will actually like.

And as for games, Kinect style stuff will never be a replacement for traditional games. It's simply an expansion.[/QUOTE]

I dunno. What has MS produced that was 360 exclusive/first party this year that wasn't Kinect based? I'm pretty sure the only high profile exclusive they've had this year was Gears 3, at least on my radar. You could argue Halo Anniversary if you like those games, and I'm not sure if there's even anything else. Their focus has shifted, much like Nintendo's focus shifted when the Wii came out. How long did it take to get a proper Zelda on that console?

No Wii U for me... Potentially no next-gen Xbox... so it all depends on the PS4? Ruh-roh. PC gaming, here I come? :lol:

[quote name='corrosivefrost']I dunno. What has MS produced that was 360 exclusive/first party this year that wasn't Kinect based? I'm pretty sure the only high profile exclusive they've had this year was Gears 3, at least on my radar. You could argue Halo Anniversary if you like those games, and I'm not sure if there's even anything else. Their focus has shifted, much like Nintendo's focus shifted when the Wii came out. How long did it take to get a proper Zelda on that console?

No Wii U for me... Potentially no next-gen Xbox... so it all depends on the PS4? Ruh-roh. PC gaming, here I come? :lol:[/QUOTE]

Even if one company (such as Microsoft) focuses on Kinect, there are plenty of other companies that fill the void. And there always will be because there's a huge market for traditional games. Sure, companies like to flock to motion controls at the moment because it's the big new thing, but that shouldn't be mistaken for a permanent trend. Even if motion controls are here to stay, they will form their own segment of the market. Traditional games will continue to exist because they offer a different kind of experience from Kinect stuff.

[quote name='distgfx']I've learned Java, C++, C and C# so far, but I had the most fun with javascript. I was never taught python, but I looked it up and it seems to be a language that is very strict when it comes to formatting. I know nothing about it beyond that.[/QUOTE]

I really do like C#. It seems like a more well-thought out Java. Then again, that's coming from someone who spends all week writing in java.
[quote name='ihadFG']It's really not that hard to ignore Justin Bieber. If you know what you like, there's plenty of tools out there for finding new stuff you will actually like.
[/QUOTE]

Spotify has been awesome for me finding new music I like. Still haven't branched out much from what I listened to in high school though.

Started Uncharted 3 today. Not particularly impressed so far.

[quote name='BlueScrote']Started Uncharted 3 today. Not particularly impressed so far.[/QUOTE]

Uncharted 3 is almost even with the original for me... which would be a tie for best game in the series... I'm not sure if it might be the best for me. So far, it's story is leaps and bounds better than Uncharted 2, the game seems to offer more exploring and puzzles and opportunities to play stealth instead of flat out shooter... the set pieces are amazing too... I'm really curious to see how it pans out in the final 2 chapters.

[quote name='hankmecrankme']I know for a fact I'm not beta testing the next round of systems like I did this one.

Waiting 2 years minimum to buy, if ever. :nottalking:[/QUOTE]

Tekken Tag 2 canceled for current systems, releases at launch of PS4 and Xbox 3D.

[quote name='distgfx']Tekken Tag 2 canceled for current systems, releases at launch of PS4 and Xbox 3D.[/QUOTE]
As much as I love Tekken, it's not worth $600.

I'll wait for that price drop.

[quote name='hankmecrankme']Just another who talks the talk but doesn't walk the walk. :nottalking:

Speaking of walking, get to stepping, son.[/QUOTE]

Now.

beat uncharted 3. i like how they handled a lot of stuff this time around although i already see some spots that are going to make me punch something on crushing. :3

[quote name='ihadFG']Even if one company (such as Microsoft) focuses on Kinect, there are plenty of other companies that fill the void. And there always will be because there's a huge market for traditional games. Sure, companies like to flock to motion controls at the moment because it's the big new thing, but that shouldn't be mistaken for a permanent trend. Even if motion controls are here to stay, they will form their own segment of the market. Traditional games will continue to exist because they offer a different kind of experience from Kinect stuff.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. At least on the 360 and PS3....Nintendo has really struggled with lacking 3rd party support.

For the 360, MS has never had many first party games that interested me really. Mainly just the Halo and Gears series, and a few things here and there like Alan Wake.

Otherwise it's just had a shit ton of great third party games, with some that were exclusive (at least for a fair amount of time) like Mass Effect, Bioshock 1 etc. and has the most active online communities for the big FPS games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back