GGT 159 has zero potential

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='corrosivefrost']I dunno. What has MS produced that was 360 exclusive/first party this year that wasn't Kinect based? I'm pretty sure the only high profile exclusive they've had this year was Gears 3, at least on my radar. You could argue Halo Anniversary if you like those games, and I'm not sure if there's even anything else. Their focus has shifted, much like Nintendo's focus shifted when the Wii came out. How long did it take to get a proper Zelda on that console?

No Wii U for me... Potentially no next-gen Xbox... so it all depends on the PS4? Ruh-roh. PC gaming, here I come? :lol:[/QUOTE]

Forza 4.

While you CAN use Kinect, it's not entirely "Kinect based", it's just a control option, like the steering wheel.

As long as Turn 10 is still pumping them out, I'm there.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Exactly. At least on the 360 and PS3....Nintendo has really struggled with lacking 3rd party support.

For the 360, MS has never had many first party games that interested me really. Mainly just the Halo and Gears series, and a few things here and there like Alan Wake.

Otherwise it's just had a shit ton of great third party games, with some that were exclusive (at least for a fair amount of time) like Mass Effect, Bioshock 1 etc. and has the most active online communities for the big FPS games.[/QUOTE]

Nintendo has had third party problems on consoles since the N64. I don't understand either since their portables have plenty of 3rd party support.

[quote name='BlueScrote']Nintendo has had third party problems on consoles since the N64. I don't understand either since their portables have plenty of 3rd party support.[/QUOTE]

Well with the N64 it made sense due to their boneheaded decisions to go with carts. Most third party devs focused on disc based games on the PS1 which were hard to port to the lesser storage space of carts. Plus Nintendo charged devs a lot per copy to put out cart games.

GameCube it didn't make sense as it was more powerful than the PS2 and almost as powerful as the Xbox so ports weren't really limited for technical reasons. But maybe Nintendo still charged big fees for their proprietary disc format.

Wii ports are difficult since it's so underpowered compared to the competition. Though still odd that more third party devs didn't develop games exclusively for it with it's huge install base. Maybe the low attach rate the Wii has turned them off of taking the chance since nothing seems to sell on that console but Nintendo games and some random casual dance games etc.

Their portables have dominated the handheld market every generation, so that's why they get all the third party support. If they hadn't broken off from partnering with Sony on a disc based console and decided to go with carts for the N64, they'd probably still be dominating the console market as well. They've never recovered from that mistake.

[quote name='Chacrana']To be fair, you have to play for a long time for it to become that bad. With Bayonetta, it's shit from the word "go."[/QUOTE]

True, but I never saw Bayonetta hit a zero frame rate.

[quote name='distgfx']Icebeast was gone longer than you.[/QUOTE]

I'm still here, watching everything you guys do... and I have posted a couple times.

Got my new computer mostly setup last night (I'm posting from it), downloading some games now, and I still need to transfer a bunch of files over from my laptop.

[quote name='distgfx']PS3 users got fucked with Skyrim... and HARD.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-ps3-skyrim-lag

Never thought I'd see a PS3 port worse than Bayonetta.[/QUOTE]

You'd think people would stop being surprised that PS3 ports are generally inferior if they aren't the lead platform.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Well with the N64 it made sense due to their boneheaded decisions to go with carts. Most third party devs focused on disc based games on the PS1 which were hard to port to the lesser storage space of carts. Plus Nintendo charged devs a lot per copy to put out cart games.

GameCube it didn't make sense as it was more powerful than the PS2 and almost as powerful as the Xbox so ports weren't really limited for technical reasons. But maybe Nintendo still charged big fees for their proprietary disc format.

Wii ports are difficult since it's so underpowered compared to the competition. Though still odd that more third party devs didn't develop games exclusively for it with it's huge install base. Maybe the low attach rate the Wii has turned them off of taking the chance since nothing seems to sell on that console but Nintendo games and some random casual dance games etc.

Their portables have dominated the handheld market every generation, so that's why they get all the third party support. If they hadn't broken off from partnering with Sony on a disc based console and decided to go with carts for the N64, they'd probably still be dominating the console market as well. They've never recovered from that mistake.[/QUOTE]

Good call on the portables. Hopefully with the WiiU nintendo will finally be able to court 3rd party devs.

the 3DS is getting some massive sales next week. It continues to be tempting despite my better judgement.

EDIT: frosty how many chapters are there in U3?

[quote name='BlueScrote']You'd think people would stop being surprised that PS3 ports are generally inferior if they aren't the lead platform.

EDIT: frosty how many chapters are there in U3?[/QUOTE]

Inferior is largely dependent upon what is being labeled as such. There's a huge difference between "lack of God rays" from Bulletstorm and "holy shit, I'm watching a slideshow" from Skyrim. I'm not sure how many hours I have in at the moment, but I have a level 11 character in Skyrim PS3 with a 3.5mb save and have only seen an occasional dip which I know to be normal for a Bethesda game. I have my fingers crossed that I don't encounter the slideshow or they patch it before I do. Luckily, I have Uncharted 3 to platinum before I even consider going back to Skyrim.

And speaking of Uncharted 3...

22. Some are really short though. I think taking my time and grabbing all the treasures and playing on hard, my first run was 8 hours or so.

Contrastingly, I'm already in the middle of chapter 4 after a 15 minute or so speed run on crushing last night. :)

[quote name='BlueScrote']You'd think people would stop being surprised that PS3 ports are generally inferior if they aren't the lead platform.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but this bad?

Ugh, fuck Bethesda. Good to know my favorite game of the year is basically a ticking time bomb that will soon explode in unplayability.

Bought Attack of the Movies 3D today for $5.

130199429278.jpg

[quote name='distgfx']Yeah, but this bad?[/QUOTE]

Fair point. The save file thing in particular seems more like a bug for the PS3 version in this case rather than a platform-parity thing.

AHA! Like everyone I know got Skyrim on the PS3 and they claimed that the 360 version is inferior to it! I will show them this laggy link!

[quote name='BlueScrote']Fair point. The save file thing in particular seems more like a bug for the PS3 version in this case rather than a platform-parity thing.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, apparently the gamebryo engine has had problems with the PS3 since Fallout 3. It's the exact same problem, too. They were better off outsourcing it to the guys who did the Oblivion port.

[quote name='distgfx']Yeah, apparently the gamebryo engine has had problems with the PS3 since Fallout 3. It's the exact same problem, too. They were better off outsourcing it to the guys who did the Oblivion port.[/QUOTE]

I was going to say -- Oblivion on the PS3 was pretty solid in my experience and I remember people saying it was more stable and ran better than the 360 version it was ported from. I'd never played Fallout 3 or NV on PS3, so I figured it should be okay in the least and not a nuclear explosion waiting to happen. Again, I have my fingers crossed, it's been playable and good so far... then again, I only have a level 11 character who is in the first 3rd of the game.

Anyone want an Alice: The Madness Returns online pass? I have an extra one. This gets you the original American McGee Alice just remember you need to own the 360 game to play it.

PM me if you're interested. It's free so first come first serve.

[quote name='distgfx']Yeah, apparently the gamebryo engine has had problems with the PS3 since Fallout 3. It's the exact same problem, too. They were better off outsourcing it to the guys who did the Oblivion port.[/QUOTE]

Doesn't Skyrim use a new engine though?

[quote name='ihadFG']Doesn't Skyrim use a new engine though?[/QUOTE]

No, according to bethesda that was a marketing gimmick, it's just a rebranded gamebryo engine.

EDIT: Realistically, did it ever look like a new engine?

I WILL contribute to this thread:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1STxCE8uj3U

Also, on these Skyrim talks, isn't the issue with the save file size? Can't you just make new save files every once in a while to make sure you don't end up playing that game through a dog's anus?

[quote name='dmaul1114']He dropped out of the race today.

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/12/03/herman-cain-suspends-his-presidential-campaign/?hp[/QUOTE]

Best thing to happen to people since JSP disappeared from Skype.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nah, I've had the DVDs for several years, just never watched them. If the blurays are substantially better, I'll get them... Are they?
Also, the opening song is seriously horrible.

[quote name='linkpwns']Nah, I've had the DVDs for several years, just never watched them. If the blurays are substantially better, I'll get them... Are they?[/QUOTE]

I dunno, but I know I never thought it looked like an 80s film when I watched it on Blu.

[quote name='linkpwns']
Also, the opening song is seriously horrible.[/QUOTE]

Blasphemy!

[quote name='dmaul1114']Well with the N64 it made sense due to their boneheaded decisions to go with carts. Most third party devs focused on disc based games on the PS1 which were hard to port to the lesser storage space of carts. Plus Nintendo charged devs a lot per copy to put out cart games.

Their portables have dominated the handheld market every generation, so that's why they get all the third party support. If they hadn't broken off from partnering with Sony on a disc based console and decided to go with carts for the N64, they'd probably still be dominating the console market as well. They've never recovered from that mistake.[/QUOTE]

Regarding Gamecube:

1. It didn't sell well because starting out it was only available in purple and colors like black and platinum, which would be more appealing to males 13-and-up market, didn't come out until many months later and Nintendo's slow release cycle of first-party games contributed to people not picking it up. It's still nicknamed the purple lunch box even though most people that still have one have a black or platinum one.

2. It had one fewer button on the controller than XBox/PS2 so it all ports had to be reprogrammed and with so few sales, support was abandoned quickly.

[quote name='corrosivefrost']I dunno. What has MS produced that was 360 exclusive/first party this year that wasn't Kinect based? I'm pretty sure the only high profile exclusive they've had this year was Gears 3, at least on my radar. You could argue Halo Anniversary if you like those games, and I'm not sure if there's even anything else. Their focus has shifted, much like Nintendo's focus shifted when the Wii came out. How long did it take to get a proper Zelda on that console?

No Wii U for me... Potentially no next-gen Xbox... so it all depends on the PS4? Ruh-roh. PC gaming, here I come? :lol:[/QUOTE]

Only one you forgot on disk was Forza 4, but that is similar, but smaller, to Halo's market. In North America, tons of exclusives don't matter if its harder to play games w/friends online on the console, see PS3.

[quote name='corrosivefrost']Anyone with UMvC3 on the ps3, I have it now -- let me know when you want to whup my ass. I seriously suck at it now. :([/QUOTE]

I bought SSFIV AE on PS3 for $17 just so I would have it in case I had someone who wanted to play on PS3 instead of 360, where I normally play. I would have to get my PS3 stick out of mothballs, but I could do it for SSFIV AE or SSF2THDR.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Regarding Gamecube:

1. It didn't sell well because starting out it was only available in purple and colors like black and platinum, which would be more appealing to males 13-and-up market, didn't come out until many months later and Nintendo's slow release cycle of first-party games contributed to people not picking it up. It's still nicknamed the purple lunch box even though most people that still have one have a black or platinum one.

2. It had one fewer button on the controller than XBox/PS2 so it all ports had to be reprogrammed and with so few sales, support was abandoned quickly.[/QUOTE]

Holyshit, I honestly can't remember if my gamecube was purple or black now. That's pretty sad since it was my first system into that gen (like the wii was my first system into this gen).

Uncharted 3 has picked up. Two things that are kind of bothering me though:

The bad guys keep on just magically showing up. "They must have followed us!" only works so many times.

The second is they just introduced Cutter out of nowhere. I like his character so far, but there's no back story about him. I have a feeling he's going to get killed off.

EDIT: I just got to the part where they keep referring to "XXX still wearing it". Does this get explained later?

Double Edit: They're talking about the fucking half tuck, aren't they?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='MSUHitman']Regarding Gamecube:

2. It had one fewer button on the controller than XBox/PS2 so it all ports had to be reprogrammed and with so few sales, support was abandoned quickly.[/QUOTE]

The Gamecube was available in purple or black right from launch. I got the black one at a midnight launch at Walmart.

Good point on one fewer button though. I'd forgotten about that. And really 3 fewer buttons since the analog sticks weren't clickable.

I was at the Gamecube's launch, it came in purple and black day 1.

They handed out tickets, everyone took black, people left instead of getting purple.

I got a purple one because I don't give a shit. It's a game system.

[quote name='ihadFG']I kind of like the purple one.[/QUOTE]

I'm not surprised.

I love that Nintendo had the audacity to call a purple Gamecube "indigo." I know what indigo looks like, and it ain't this.

[quote name='hankmecrankme']The only thing indigo that IhadFG knows is the Indigo Girls.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, not familiar with them.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Only one you forgot on disk was Forza 4, but that is similar, but smaller, to Halo's market. In North America, tons of exclusives don't matter if its harder to play games w/friends online on the console, see PS3.[/QUOTE]

I don't give a fuck about racing games. So now what? :)

[quote name='MSUHitman']I bought SSFIV AE on PS3 for $17 just so I would have it in case I had someone who wanted to play on PS3 instead of 360, where I normally play. I would have to get my PS3 stick out of mothballs, but I could do it for SSFIV AE or SSF2THDR.[/QUOTE]

I have both those on PS3 -- make sure you add me and just let me know when you want to play -- I can say one thing about SSF4; the controls are ingrained in my head... I was trying to throw in UMvC3 by pressing LP+LK (S+A)... :rofl:

[quote name='BlueScrote']Holyshit, I honestly can't remember if my gamecube was purple or black now. That's pretty sad since it was my first system into that gen (like the wii was my first system into this gen).

Uncharted 3 has picked up. Two things that are kind of bothering me though:
The bad guys keep on just magically showing up. "They must have followed us!" only works so many times.

The second is they just introduced Cutter out of nowhere. I like his character so far, but there's no back story about him. I have a feeling he's going to get killed off.

EDIT: I just got to the part where they keep referring to "XXX still wearing it". Does this get explained later?

Double Edit: They're talking about the fucking half tuck, aren't they?[/QUOTE]

What? I don't know what you're talking about -- put it in spoilers and be more specific?
Following? That's the standard excuse that happens in Uncharted games all the time. :p

[quote name='hankmecrankme']Not much to see, just two ugly ass dykes that play folk music.[/QUOTE]
Reminded me of TaTu...except they weren't...but they looked the part...I crushed on Yulia Volkova...I want a Russian/Ukranian girlfriend....:bouncy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back