GGT 197: The Offical DOA5 Swimsuit Screenshot Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear guy sitting in front of me today: eight toolbars is not acceptable. My laptop is half the size of yours, yet my screen is effectively bigger than yours.

And turn off the fucking stickykeys shortcut already. Jesus Christ.

X-COM: Enemy Unknown Demo was pretty cool. Never played the original.

I could find myself stuck in that game for quite some time...

Nothing better than doing online homework thinking you're done and not seeing the CLICK FOR MORE button till tonight to see a whole list of shit I haven't done yet. ^___^

[quote name='The Crotch']That demo was fucking terrible.

And also 6 gigs for some god damn reason.

Still getting the game.[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure it is the full game since it asks you to pre-order at the man menu.

funny-gifs-one-of-the-bosses-in-tokyo-jungle.gif

Put another 5 1/2 or so hours into Borderlands last night, 3 or so with friends, and the rest clearing out some lower level side missions on my own.

corrosivefrost or whoever it was here that recommended the game (well the first/the series) to me a while back was spot on. Right up my alley with my love of FPS and WRPGs.

[quote name='GUNNM']Why do eyes burn when you stare a computer too long?[/QUOTE]

Eye strain from the back light. Try turning the brightness down if you're in a dark or dim room. Don't want it all/most of the way up like you do in a bright room.

[quote name='panzerfaust']this was my last semester before graduation but now im thinking of changing majors

fuck im stupid[/QUOTE]

May be better to just graduate and go to grad school in the other area if that's an option. In most fields, if you have a high undergrad GPA and do well on the GRE, you can get a free ride and assistantship with stipend and basically get paid to go to school (though it's a paltry sum).

I was in the same boat my senior year. Didn't want to keep working for newspapers, so thought of changing my major from Journalism to Sociology (with criminology focus). Professor advised me to just graduate and go to grad school for criminology. One of the best decisions I ever made.

If you just need a masters, you can knock that out in 2 years or less. And be better off on the job market since pretty much everyone has a bachelor's degree these days (it's pretty much the new high school diploma--just a minimum requirement to be considered for most jobs, rather than a leg up on competitors).

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='j-cart']Pretty sure it is the full game since it asks you to pre-order at the man menu.[/QUOTE]
It is indeed. People have found a fair bit of full-game content, actually.

Would it be too much to ask to have characters in Borderlands 2 refer to you by your character's name? Everyone's all "Exile" "Grey Warden" "Kalach-Cha" "Champion" "Dragonborn" "Vault Hunter" all the time, which is especially weird because it's usually the old vault hunters that are calling me that. You might as well call me "Human" or some shit.

I realize it would be a tiny god damn bit more voice work, but you named the characters. Why are you so afraid to use them?

Shut up vault hunter. What did annoy me with lack of voice acting when a character does something to you and your character doesn't talk you just take it.

[quote name='The Crotch']
I realize it would be a tiny god damn bit more voice work, but you named the characters. Why are you so afraid to use them?[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing it's because the user can change the name of the characters. So they made the voice work generic, rather than having them use the stock names even when someone renamed their character.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']borderlands 2... I'll get to it in like 5 months.[/QUOTE]

get it when me and troy get it on 360. when it's like 20 bucks.

[quote name='icebeast']Probably because the game would sound kind of like Microsoft Sam when pronouncing your name.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLxP3V4veJk[/QUOTE]

I mean just "Maya" or "Zero", not Tittyfuck McGee or whatever you wrote it down as. Because that just... doesn't matter. At all.
[quote name='dmaul1114']I'm guessing it's because the user can change the name of the characters. So they made the voice work generic, rather than having them use the stock names even when someone renamed their character.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, but fuck that. Nobody would give a shit. I don't even know why that was an option. This isn't an RPG. There is no "role-playing" to be done. You're not making a character. You're playing Salvador, not the Bhaalspawn.

[quote name='The Crotch']I mean just "Maya" or "Zero", not Tittyfuck McGee or whatever you wrote it down as. Because that just... doesn't matter. At all.[/QUOTE]

The problem is you referenced other games where the characters don't have default names, and there isn't really a solution for those, unless they give them a default name, but in many it's basically your "voice" defining what the character says and does so it wouldn't really make sense to suddenly have people calling you some random name you've never heard.

Other option would have been to go the Mass Effect route and let people change the first name, but NPCs just say the last name (or Commander Shepard).

But really would have just made more sense to make the default names the only option.

[quote name='icebeast']The problem is you referenced other games where the characters don't have default names, and there isn't really a solution for those, unless they give them a default name, but in many it's basically your "voice" defining what the character says and does so it wouldn't really make sense to suddenly have people calling you some random name you've never heard.[/QUOTE]

That... that was my point. You're Warden in Dragon Age because you actually made a character and named it. In a fully-voiced game (and fuck full voice in traditional RPGs, yo), you just can't cover that. So, Warden. Or Exile. Or whatever.

Borderlands doesn't have that problem. All the characters have pre-chosen names. It's using an annoying crutch when it has two perfectly functional legs.

[quote name='The Crotch']That... that was my point. You're Warden in Dragon Age because you actually made a character and named it. In a fully-voiced game (and fuck full voice in traditional RPGs, yo), you just can't cover that. So, Warden. Or Exile. Or whatever.

Borderlands doesn't have that problem. All the characters have pre-chosen names. It's using an annoying crutch when it has two perfectly functional legs.[/QUOTE]

Ah, I see, I thought you were saying you didn't like when any game let you pick a custom name but basically ignored it completely, haha. In all honesty I'm so used to it happening in those other games that it didn't bother me at all when Borderlands 2 did it, since I did give my character a custom name. I think it would have been awkward if they called me the default name, unless like dmaul was saying they used a default last name for the characters, or in the other types of games where they use your stature, job title, military title, etc... to describe you which is what Borderlands 2 went with.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I'm glad to see at least one of you guys is playing Tokyo Jungle. Besides TTT2, it's so far my GotY[/QUOTE]

If they'd put up a demo, I'd consider buying it while it's on sale this week... but I'm pretty sure we're not getting a demo.

[quote name='The Crotch']That... that was my point. You're Warden in Dragon Age because you actually made a character and named it. In a fully-voiced game (and fuck full voice in traditional RPGs, yo), you just can't cover that. So, Warden. Or Exile. Or whatever.

Borderlands doesn't have that problem. All the characters have pre-chosen names. It's using an annoying crutch when it has two perfectly functional legs.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='The Crotch']
Yeah, but fuck that. Nobody would give a shit. I don't even know why that was an option. This isn't an RPG. There is no "role-playing" to be done. You're not making a character. You're playing Salvador, not the Bhaalspawn.[/QUOTE]

I am most definitely not playing anyone named Salvador. Neither is my buddy -- he's got a gunzerker named Titan as far as I can tell; personally, I don't even think of my assassin class character as being zer0 or any other name -- I just use the name to differentiate if I want another assassin character with a different build for the skill trees. So, yeah, this doesn't bug me.

To me, It's no different than when they let you choose a new name for any named character in any RPG; It's like renaming characters in any RPG post PSX -- if in FFX, I rename Tidus to Dufus, it's going to be absolutely stupid to hear Yuna call him "Tidus" in the cutscenes or any other spoken dialogue. As far as I'm concerned, what you describe is no different than the Warden stuff in Dragon Age, from my perspective.

[quote name='The Crotch']Would it be too much to ask to have characters in Borderlands 2 refer to you by your character's name? Everyone's all "Exile" "Grey Warden" "Kalach-Cha" "Champion" "Dragonborn" "Vault Hunter" all the time, which is especially weird because it's usually the old vault hunters that are calling me that. You might as well call me "Human" or some shit.

I realize it would be a tiny god damn bit more voice work, but you named the characters. Why are you so afraid to use them?[/QUOTE]
I'm more annoyed by the laziness of them not changing the pronoun forms between single and multiplayer. Sounds so stupid when you're playing by yourself and Jack keeps talking about "us."

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']I'm more annoyed by the laziness of them not changing the pronoun forms between single and multiplayer. Sounds so stupid when you're playing by yourself and Jack keeps talking about "us."[/QUOTE]

This I actually noticed and was annoyed by. It's more obvious in some places/dialogue than others, but definitely noticable.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']I'm more annoyed by the laziness of them not changing the pronoun forms between single and multiplayer. Sounds so stupid when you're playing by yourself and Jack keeps talking about "us."[/QUOTE]

The last quests had a part called
Go alone
. My GF's siren was next to me.

But really, the only time the vault hunter thing bugged me was when the original characters called you that, specifically when Lilith said
thanks to the vault hunter to Brick and Mordecai

Is zero the shittest character in the game? Can his hologram do more than dance? I tried starting a new char as him but stopped when I saw his skill tree of all melee upgrades. I'm using zerker for my first character dual guns is nice especially when all you play is alone. :(

[quote name='corrosivefrost']
I am most definitely not playing anyone named Salvador. Neither is my buddy -- he's got a gunzerker named Titan as far as I can tell; personally, I don't even think of my assassin class character as being zer0 or any other name -- I just use the name to differentiate if I want another assassin character with a different build for the skill trees. So, yeah, this doesn't bug me.

To me, It's no different than when they let you choose a new name for any named character in any RPG; It's like renaming characters in any RPG post PSX -- if in FFX, I rename Tidus to Dufus, it's going to be absolutely stupid to hear Yuna call him "Tidus" in the cutscenes or any other spoken dialogue. As far as I'm concerned, what you describe is no different than the Warden stuff in Dragon Age, from my perspective.[/QUOTE]
Dragon Age is a role-playing game. You can make a character and act it out.

Borderlands is a shooter with skill selection. You pick a character and go.

Axton (commando) is good for playing solo too. The turret helps a ton since you can get revived from kills from it (so good to throw it when low on health).

Last edited by a moderator:
Y'know, I've seen it a lot, and I damn well want an answer...

... how the hell did "turrent" become a thing?

But yeah, Axton is probably the best solo character.

[quote name='The Crotch']Dragon Age is a role-playing game. You can make a character and act it out.

Borderlands is a shooter with skill selection. You pick a character and go.[/QUOTE]

I'll continue to disagree, because I don't really see any difference besides the ability in BioWare games to choose from a dialogue tree or make some basic choices that have at most a limited effect on the outcome -- they're both games with experience points and quests and skill progression.

It's not like they force you to be the canonical vault hunter of whatever class you are. This isn't Gears of War where you play as Marcus or Dom or Baird, etc.

Warden = Vault Hunter = Shepard = Commander = generic term for the player character you've created.

Yeah, most role playing games you aren't playing as yourself. Something like Dragon Age you still pick a pre-set background story for your character etc.

The Bethesda games are a bit more open I guess since the characters are pretty generic. But I don't really immerse myself much in the character in those games anyway. The story is so weak and generic I'm just playing for the exploration and questing and not paying much attention to story anyway.

Same with BL2. I don't really know what the plot/point is really, I'm just running around doing missions and shooting the shit out of things, chatting with my friend I've been playing with etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back