GGT 199 thinks it can review games

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Indignate']Where are you playing this at?[/QUOTE]

You know the answer to this. On dat Origin yo!

Origin ID: theevilchinaman

[quote name='panzerfaust']that CoD paper scored me a 95%, so now i have some insurance for when i fail this exam[/QUOTE]

Ballin.

now that i know how xcom works, i started over and now it seems pretty easy.

fighting mutons without laser weapons was impossible

[quote name='TheLongshot']The Japanese seem to have a huge obsession with large breasts, for some reason.[/QUOTE]
They ain't the only ones, yo

:cool:

GL and Joker confirmed.

0a25872033238d268060d18342465c1d.jpg

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']XCOM and Dishonored are both really good.[/QUOTE]

It's a shame that the two most non-standard $60 games this year had to come out the same day and inadvertently compete against each other. It's hard enough for those type of games to succeed when they are released by themselves. Still, I hope that both games do at least moderately well because I'm getting sick of the $60 game lineup becoming such a dull, homogeneous mess (RE6 being the epitome of that for me).

Ebay's new logo is so. . .Mediocre, boring, and shitty. Some fucktard probably got paid to design it too. I need a career like that.

Also why is it every time somebody redesigns their logo, it's always worse?

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']XCOM and Dishonored are both really good.[/QUOTE]

Does the combat in dishonored feel anything like a fallout or elder scrolls game?

This game is... kinda buggy. Kinda really buggy. Nothing too terrible, though.

Except for the bug that keeps forcing me to take a mission I don't want to fucking take. Jesus Christ that shit ain't right.
[quote name='j-cart']Explain.[/QUOTE]
Well, uh... in short...

I used to be worried that with the lack of TUs, getting proper line-of-sight would be a huge pain in the ass. I now see that is not the case because line-of-sight barely matters anymore.

There is a consistent logic to the cover system, but it is... unintuitive. And funny-looking.

[quote name='whoknows']Is he part of a season pass? Because that's the only way I'll pay for him.[/QUOTE]

No, he's locked on the disk you have to find the key in the $10 1kb download.

[quote name='distgfx']Does the combat in dishonored feel anything like a fallout or elder scrolls game?[/QUOTE]

It looks more Bioshocky.

[quote name='distgfx']Does the combat in dishonored feel anything like a fallout or elder scrolls game?[/QUOTE]

If you're asking that because Bethesda's name is attached, it's worth pointing out that they are only the publisher, not the developer.

[quote name='ihadFG']It's a shame that the two most non-standard $60 games this year had to come out the same day and inadvertently compete against each other. It's hard enough for those type of games to succeed when they are released by themselves. Still, I hope that both games do at least moderately well because I'm getting sick of the $60 game lineup becoming such a dull, homogeneous mess (RE6 being the epitome of that for me).[/QUOTE]

It took you this long to become sick of it? I've been sick of it for years now. I do hope they do well just because they are a bit different, but that's about impossible at the $60 price point. Who likes to gamble on $60 games? So everyone waits for a price drop. $60 price point has to go, these underdog games cannot survive at it because the average gamer won't pay it for something they don't know they'll even like. And if they don't sell, they get discounted quickly, then everyone assumes they flopped. "Oh look, X-Com is $40 already. It's been a month." That looks bad to the average gamer, and they'll wait for further price drops. So just launch them at $40 or $50 and try to get people to take a chance on your game instead of trying to fall in line by charging $60 for your game.

If you want to improve things, here's a tip, stop buying $60 Call of Duties. Since it sells hugely at that price, everyone thinks they can charge the same and get away with it. No sir, that doesn't work. You're X-Com/Dishonored, not Call of Duty. It's like if McDonalds started charging Red Robin prices. Doesn't work. - Actually, that's a horribl0e comparison, because McDonalds sells hugely, whereas X-Com and Dishonored will probably barely break 100k combined. . . :cry:

Can't blame people for wanting to drop $60 on Call of Duty though. They'll probably be playing it a lot longer than they would be playing a game like Dishonored.

Publishers need to give up the dream of their game selling well at $60, especially for games like Dishonored and XCOM. Releasing games like those at this time of year was also a horrible idea. They should have been released in the Summer when there isn't a lot coming out so that people will be more willing to give them a chance due to lack of other options.

Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing Transformed is coming out at $40 on consoles, $30 on handhelds. That's the way to do it for a franchise that's not huge like Call of Duty.

[quote name='ihadFG']If you're asking that because Bethesda's name is attached[/QUOTE]

Hell yeah I am, that's like the stamp of shit for me.

[quote name='ihadFG']it's worth pointing out that they are only the publisher, not the developer.[/QUOTE]

That is worth pointing out.

EDIT: $60 on PC? Of fucking course.

[quote name='hankmecrankme']It took you this long to become sick of it? I've been sick of it for years now. I do hope they do well just because they are a bit different, but that's about impossible at the $60 price point. Who likes to gamble on $60 games? So everyone waits for a price drop. $60 price point has to go, these underdog games cannot survive at it because the average gamer won't pay it for something they don't know they'll even like. And if they don't sell, they get discounted quickly, then everyone assumes they flopped. "Oh look, X-Com is $40 already. It's been a month." That looks bad to the average gamer, and they'll wait for further price drops. So just launch them at $40 or $50 and try to get people to take a chance on your game instead of trying to fall in line by charging $60 for your game.

If you want to improve things, here's a tip, stop buying $60 Call of Duties. Since it sells hugely at that price, everyone thinks they can charge the same and get away with it. No sir, that doesn't work. You're X-Com/Dishonored, not Call of Duty. It's like if McDonalds started charging Red Robin prices. Doesn't work.[/QUOTE]

I've been sick of it for a while too, I just think that this year especially has been the worst yet as far as everything feeling samey.

I agree about lower prices for stuff like this, especially this late in the generation. Not every full release should be $60. Especially with a new IP, it might be better to release at $40. I want to see these kind of games do well, but the hype levels for games that aren't COD or Halo just aren't enough to justify a $60 price tag. If I didn't get them for $45 each, I would have just bought one (or possibly neither since a price drop is inevitable).

People will pay $60 for COD or Halo because they know what they are getting and they are willing to pay for it. A lot of people aren't going to want to risk their $60 on a weird power-based stealth game or a turn-based strategy game. But maybe at $40 they would. And if they do well at that price, maybe a sequel could have a bigger budget and release at $60.

[quote name='whoknows']Can't blame people for wanting to drop $60 on Call of Duty though. They'll probably be playing it a lot longer than they would be playing a game like Dishonored.

Publishers need to give up the dream of their game selling well at $60, especially for games like Dishonored and XCOM. Releasing games like those at this time of year was also a horrible idea.

Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing Transformed is coming out at $40 on consoles, $30 on handhelds. That's the way to do it for a franchise that's not huge like Call of Duty.[/QUOTE]
This is exactly it. And it's fine if people want to drop $60 on Call of Duty. It's just every publisher thinks they can release their games for the same price and pull similar numbers. "Why isn't this selling?" Capcom is talking 7 million copies of RE6 projected sales, good luck with that. It would be their best selling game ever by about 700,000 units.

Games like Dishonored are budget games with a budget. They really just need to start trimming the fat, lower budgets and overall costs and turn a profit, even if sales are low. This industry will crash before they learn that lesson, it seems.

[quote name='whoknows']Can't blame people for wanting to drop $60 on Call of Duty though. They'll probably be playing it a lot longer than they would be playing a game like Dishonored.[/QUOTE]

All I heard here was that every game needs multiplayer.

[quote name='ihadFG']I've been sick of it for a while too, I just think that this year especially has been the worst yet as far as everything feeling samey.
[/quote]
Bingo.

I agree about lower prices for stuff like this, especially this late in the generation. Not every full release should be $60. Especially with a new IP, it might be better to release at $40. I want to see these kind of games do well, but the hype levels for games that aren't COD or Halo just aren't enough to justify a $60 price tag. If I didn't get them for $45 each, I would have just bought one (or possibly neither since a price drop is inevitable).
Agreed. New IPs are untested, so you can't charge the premium Halo/Call of Duty price and expect people to pass over those two games for yours. Launching in the fall is always a risky move, especially when you're going up against entrenched IPs like those two. Bad idea.
People will pay $60 for COD or Halo because they know what they are getting and they are willing to pay for it. A lot of people aren't going to want to risk their $60 on a weird power-based stealth game or a turn-based strategy game. But maybe at $40 they would. And if they do well at that price, maybe a sequel could have a bigger budget and release at $60.
Exactly. I like to see different games coming out too, but then they shoot themselves in the foot by pricing it too high. I'd certainly try more games day one if they came out at $40. At $60? I'm waiting. I'm quite patient.

Build up your IP before you try to charge what the established ones charge. Makes sense to me. It works in other businesses too. Charge less to get your foot in the door, then charge more as demand and costs increase. Not charge full price and hope people give it a shot. So foolish.

[quote name='whoknows']Can't blame people for wanting to drop $60 on Call of Duty though. They'll probably be playing it a lot longer than they would be playing a game like Dishonored.

Publishers need to give up the dream of their game selling well at $60, especially for games like Dishonored and XCOM. Releasing games like those at this time of year was also a horrible idea. They should have been released in the Summer when there isn't a lot coming out so that people will be more willing to give them a chance due to lack of other options.

Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing Transformed is coming out at $40 on consoles, $30 on handhelds. That's the way to do it for a franchise that's not huge like Call of Duty.[/QUOTE]

This times 1000.

Honestly at $30 bucks Dishonored would have been a no-brainer for me, even at $40 I would've definitely considered it.

At $60, though, the only way I'll ever play it is when Gamefly has it for $15 or less.

Definitely agreed on all of that. It's much easier to drop $60 on an established franchise that I can be almost positive I'm going to love and get a lot of play time out of, than some new IP (especially if it's from a developer I'm not familiar with) that I have much less idea whether I'll like it, whether I'll play it enough to feel I got my $60 worth etc.

[quote name='Indignate']All I heard here was that every game needs multiplayer.[/QUOTE]

Not if it's throwaway like in Bioshock 2 or Dead Space 2. I think it's safe to say multiplayer is the main draw of Call of Duty for the majority.

What every game needs is to not be a $60 5-6 hour long game with nothing to offer after you finish it. It may be a great 5-6 hours, but if they don't give me any reason to replay the game or offer anything after then I can wait, even though I mainly play and prefer single player games.

[quote name='whoknows']What every game needs is to not be a $60 5-6 hour long game with nothing to offer after you finish it. It may be a great 5-6 hours, but if they don't give me any reason to replay the game or offer anything after then I can wait, even though I mainly play and prefer single player games.[/QUOTE]

Now you're turning this into a quantity over quality argument, which is different.

[quote name='whoknows']You can't judge a game by a demo.[/QUOTE]

I can and will, every single time.

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']Honestly at $30 bucks Dishonored would have been a no-brainer for me, even at $40 I would've definitely considered it.

At $60, though, the only way I'll ever play it is when Gamefly has it for $15 or less.[/QUOTE]

Right? Shit, at $40 I might have bought it day 1 just because I'm much more willing to take a chance on games at that price.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Definitely agreed on all of that. It's much easier to drop $60 on an established franchise that I can be almost positive I'm going to love and get a lot of play time out of, than some new IP (especially if it's from a developer I'm not familiar with) that I have much less idea whether I'll like it, whether I'll play it enough to feel I got my $60 worth etc.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's much easier to drop a nice amount of cash on established franchises or developers since you know you'll probably like it.

[quote name='hankmecrankme']I dropped $60 on Tekken Tag 2, not a single regret. I knew I'd love it.[/QUOTE]

I dropped $60 on SFIV; I got my money out of it, but man...

[quote name='whoknows']Not if it's throwaway like in Bioshock 2 or Dead Space 2. I think it's safe to say multiplayer is the main draw of Call of Duty for the majority.

What every game needs is to not be a $60 5-6 hour long game with nothing to offer after you finish it. It may be a great 5-6 hours, but if they don't give me any reason to replay the game or offer anything after then I can wait, even though I mainly play and prefer single player games.[/QUOTE]

Well I think when a single-player driven franchise is successful already like Uncharted, Dead Space, Bioshock, Ass Creed, etc., it can get away with only a solid single-player campaign and still sell well. I really don't think multiplayer helped the sequels to those games very much saleswise.

Also, people aren't going to play a COD ripoff when they can just play COD, so not evey game needs multiplayer. It's a waste most of the time even if the multiplayer is solid. Only a few big multiplayer games can really be successful at the same time.

[quote name='Indignate']Now you're turning this into a quantity over quality argument, which is different.[/QUOTE]

It doesn't have to be quantity over quantity though. It can be both.

A 20 hour game that's consistently top notch through out is easier to stomach paying $60 for than a 10 hour game that's equally fun.

Much less a WRPG or online game that someone can have a blast for 100+ hours with.

Quantity and quality matter in the value judgement. But quality being equal, the longer game provides more value as you get more of the same level on entertainment in it.

Quality not being equal, the shorter game may end up feeling worth the money if it was great throughout and the longer game had a lot of padding, drug on too long and you end up glad when its over.

[quote name='dmaul1114']It doesn't have to be quantity over quantity though. It can be both.[/QUOTE]

I think we know what dmaul likes, haha. :lol:

No. The combat is actually really fun.
[quote name='hankmecrankme']It took you this long to become sick of it? I've been sick of it for years now. I do hope they do well just because they are a bit different, but that's about impossible at the $60 price point. Who likes to gamble on $60 games? So everyone waits for a price drop. $60 price point has to go, these underdog games cannot survive at it because the average gamer won't pay it for something they don't know they'll even like. And if they don't sell, they get discounted quickly, then everyone assumes they flopped. "Oh look, X-Com is $40 already. It's been a month." That looks bad to the average gamer, and they'll wait for further price drops. So just launch them at $40 or $50 and try to get people to take a chance on your game instead of trying to fall in line by charging $60 for your game.

If you want to improve things, here's a tip, stop buying $60 Call of Duties. Since it sells hugely at that price, everyone thinks they can charge the same and get away with it. No sir, that doesn't work. You're X-Com/Dishonored, not Call of Duty. It's like if McDonalds started charging Red Robin prices. Doesn't work. - Actually, that's a horribl0e comparison, because McDonalds sells hugely, whereas X-Com and Dishonored will probably barely break 100k combined. . . :cry:[/QUOTE]
Price is definitely a problem. I've been arguing on the side of variable price points for years. It blows my mind that these publishers think every single game is worth $60. That being said, I think the even bigger problem is expectation and budgeting. The fact is that the guy who buys Call of Duty, Madden, Halo, Battlefield, and NBA 2K isn't going to EVER buy Dishonored or XCOM no matter what the price is. The sales they'd pick up from a lower price point are there, but they're minimal compared to the kind of numbers these publishers want. Numbers they're never going to get because that market is never going to want anything different. I saw it everyday at Gamestop. 8 out of 10 customers came in for CoD or Madden, and if not for that they asked for a recommendation on something similar. If you sold them a Dishonored you better believe they'd be back complaining.

Actual conversation:

Customer: *picks up copy of Mass Effect* "How's this game?"
Me: "Well it's a sci-fi game where you have to make various decisions to change the story. It has some shooting elements."
Customer: "So you can't just shoot people?"
Me: "Well yeah, but you have to do a lot of quests, you get to pick skills..."
Customer: "Nah man, I just want to shoot some $$$$as."

Publishers need to stop chasing this market that wants nothing to do with them and start being reasonable on budgets and on how much something should sell.

You know how DMC3:SE added Vergil as a playable char? Yeah, that's a good way to add replay value to a game. He was a completely different char and made it into a completely different game. Shit, it probably didn't cost much to add him either considering it didn't change anything other than the combat.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']No. The combat is actually really fun.[/QUOTE]

Noted, I'll keep an eye out on the game.

[quote name='Indignate']Now you're turning this into a quantity over quality argument, which is different.[/QUOTE]

But I never said every game needs multiplayer, so I'm not sure what point you're trying to get at. I was saying that CoD has a lot to offer to people that buy it, and those people will probably spend a lot more time with it than they would with Dishonored.

Whether people that hate CoD like it or not, those games offer a lot for your money.

[quote name='whoknows']But I never said every game needs multiplayer, so I'm not sure what point you're trying to get at.[/QUOTE]

I never said you did.

I just want there to be less big games in sept/oct/nov. Leave that to the big name established franchise. I get the whole christmas availability thing, but there's no way in hell I'm going to buy 4-5 $60 games during the holiday season.

[quote name='BlueScrote']I just want there to be less big games in sept/oct/nov. Leave that to the big name established franchise. I get the whole christmas availability thing, but there's no way in hell I'm going to buy 4-5 $60 games during the holiday season.[/QUOTE]

But I am sure as hell going to buy 10-15 AAA titles for people during the winter sale! So far I have yet to go above $110 on a steam sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back