GGT 205 took a bath with a bald white man and a baby

Status
Not open for further replies.
They're not my favourite things, but a little bit of "anything can happen to you, deal with it" can be fun from time to time.

It gives me fuzzy memories of the Battlestar Galactica board game, too. Without all the lying and backstabbing, of course. Wonder if there's an online version of that game?

If there's an online version of that game, I'm-a bitch at y'all to come play for ever.

[quote name='The Crotch']They're not my favourite things, but a little bit of "anything can happen to you, deal with it" can be fun from time to time.

It gives me fuzzy memories of the Battlestar Galactica board game, too. Without all the lying and backstabbing, of course. Wonder if there's an online version of that game?

If there's an online version of that game, I'm-a bitch at y'all to come play for ever.[/QUOTE]

I like that aspect of roguelikes, but I like it when it's within the context of "you can overcome just about any of the random scenarios with skill and understanding of the game mechanics". From the sounds of it, FTL has some situations that can't be overcome with skill alone. So basically if you get a bad roll, you're screwed.

As for the Battlestar Galactica board game, I've heard about it and it sounds really cool. If there was an online version, I wouldn't need any convincing to join you.

[quote name='ihadFG']I like that aspect of roguelikes, but I like it when it's within the context of "you can overcome just about any of the random scenarios with skill and understanding of the game mechanics". From the sounds of it, FTL has some situations that can't be overcome with skill alone. So basically if you get a bad roll, you're screwed.[/QUOTE]
Retreating is always A Thing in FTL, at least. It's comically fucking hard to do when you're really getting pounded, though. In the case of that last fight that killed me, I had to pull my pilot out of the cockpit to help fight off the boarding party, and your "jump meter" doesn't build up when you don't have anyone at the helm.

Like I said, I should have tried to just vent all the oxygen in the rooms they were attacking, but with the damage I was taking from their ship weapons, I was worried that I couldn't spare any air.
[quote name='ihadFG']As for the Battlestar Galactica board game, I've heard about it and it sounds really cool. If there was an online version, I wouldn't need any convincing to join you.[/QUOTE]
I've only played a few rounds of it. It was a couple years ago in a tree planting camp. Our understanding of the rules was shaky (after a couple months in a planting camp, thinking can be really hard), and we almost lost a bunch of pieces to the wind a few times, but it was a lot of fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='The Crotch']Retreating is always A Thing in FTL, at least. It's comically fucking hard to do when you're really getting pounded, though. In the case of that last fight that killed me, I had to pull my pilot out of the cockpit to help fight off the boarding party, and your "jump meter" doesn't build up when you don't have anyone at the helm.

Like I said, I should have tried to just vent all the oxygen in the rooms they were attacking, but with the damage I was taking from their ship weapons, I was worried that I couldn't spare any air.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='ihadFG']As for the Battlestar Galactica board game, I've heard about it and it sounds really cool. If there was an online version, I wouldn't need any convincing to join you.[/QUOTE]
I've only played a few rounds of it. It was a couple years ago in a tree planting camp. Our understanding of the rules was shaky, and we almost lost a bunch of pieces to the wind a few times, but it was a lot of fun.

[quote name='The Crotch']Retreating is always A Thing in FTL, at least. It's comically fucking hard to do when you're really getting pounded, though. In the case of that last fight that killed me, I had to pull my pilot out of the cockpit to help fight off the boarding party, and your "jump meter" doesn't build up when you don't have anyone at the helm.

Like I said, I should have tried to just vent all the oxygen in the rooms they were attacking, but with the damage I was taking from their ship weapons, I was worried that I couldn't spare any air.[/QUOTE]

If you do retreat though, is there a possibility that you could just jump into an equally bad situation?

Yes, but.

1: The REALLY bad situations are rare. The ship with two missile launchers, two burst lasers, and four boarding mantises is super fucking uncommon. The ship with two defence drones, cloaking, and super thick shields is super fucking uncommon. Wherever you go, it's probably less bad than where you were. And even if you do run in to a hostile ship, some enemies can be negotiated away.

2: There are a few ways of determining what your jump destination has in it. If you find/buy the advanced sensors, it will warn you if there's a hostile ship or environmental hazard at any nearby jump beacons. Destroying an enemy ship with a map on board (or getting a map as a quest reward) is rare, but it will show all hostile ships and environmental hazards in your sector. Jumping from one sector to another (the game is made up of, like, eight sectors, with a bunch of individual jump beacons in each sector) is guaranteed to be safe. Beacons with stores in them are always safe, and you can always see them if they're nearby, even without advanced sensors or maps. And I guess you could also go back to a beacon that you'd already cleared, assuming the rebel fleet hasn't caught up to you. But you can see how close they are, so that's not a big deal.

I've found retreating isn't worth it. Better to go defensive ASAP: that means big shields and big blast doors with those early upgrades, and then your strategy is to open airlocks if they board you or laser down their weapons and outshield them (turtle-style) if they want to gun you.

The "shit happens" randomness is tolerable. Just barely. If there were more to the title (more of a merchant spirit, protecting cargo and whatnot), then all the battles would be acceptable. But as it is, it wears on you a bit.

In all honesty, though, it's not the battles, it's things like interacting with dialogue that says "Do you want to explore?", I say yes, and the game picks my Lvl 3 shields guy to be the redshirt instead of Jimmy Hayseed I picked up 3 waypoints back. That's some bullshit.

I put a lot of resources into my shields and usually focus on their weapons, trying to conserve my missiles for later on in the game. I really don't like deploying drones, though, which means missiles absolutely fuck me up. A bad hit to the weapon or shield rooms can do terrible things.

I've taken a shine to cloaking, though, which is really nice for dodging missiles.

Cat-videobombs-news-weather-report.gif

[quote name='j-cart']The Governor arc in The Walking Dead comic was awesome. The dude was totally nuts, but the right kind of nuts. The world is in ruin, what would you do to keep you and your people safe?[/QUOTE]

I could totally see the zombie arena being a thing. I mean really it's just the next step of gladiators at the Colosseum .

Edit:

I've only read through issue 48 so can we keep the major spoilers in tags please.

[quote name='j-cart']The Governor arc in The Walking Dead comic was awesome. The dude was totally nuts, but the right kind of nuts. The world is in ruin, what would you do to keep you and your people safe?[/QUOTE]
THANK YOU, J-CART!

[quote name='Indignate']"It's about humans surviving and making difficult choices to do so" and "That's why I love Shane" don't go together. What is it that Shane did? Try to kill his best friend so he can fuck his wife? Welcome to daytime drama. Shane wasn't a good villain, hell, Shane wasn't a good anything. He was only around to serve as an antithesis to Rick until they could get Rick to the place he needed to be at the end of the second season.[/QUOTE]
Yep. But I must admit, I love Shane. Don't really see him as a bad guy at all.

[quote name='ihadFG']Shane falling in love with Lori and wanting Rick gone was far more human to me than The Governor raping women and killing everyone. Plus, the difficult choices thing was at it's best when Shane killed Otis in the TV Show. That's a prime example of the kind of "villainous" behavior I like in this kind of series. I don't want to see someone who rapes and kills everyone because YOTHISGUYISEVIL. That's too black and white for this kind of series. I'm more interested in struggles within the group dynamic as a result of the setting. I'm more interested in good people doing questionable things than good people fighting an evil dude.[/QUOTE]
Well, they gave good reasons for the Governor being that way, so it's not like they just pointed at him and said, "LOOK BAD GUY". I really don't get why you're so down on him.

[quote name='hankmecrankme']
1288472513393.png
[/QUOTE]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYCOY-oh0QM

[quote name='CaptainJoel']
Yep. But I must admit, I love Shane. Don't really see him as a bad guy at all. [/QUOTE]

That's why I like him as a character. He was the anti-Rick, but they were both still doing what they thought was right for the most part.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']
Well, they gave good reasons for the Governor being that way, so it's not like they just pointed at him and said, "LOOK BAD GUY". I really don't get why you're so down on him.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYCOY-oh0QM[/QUOTE]

The reasons they gave weren't good enough to make me sympathize with him at all. Even with his backstory, he is just too evil to be a compelling villain to me. Not saying you can't like him. Just that he doesn't do it for me. Even with the backstory, he still seemed like "LOOK BAD GUY" to me.

[quote name='GUNNM']Unless her son plans to become hokage one day don't even bother with the whiskers.
orochimaru > naruto[/QUOTE]

Whiskers are lame. So are abnormally long tongues.

It's all about that bowl cut with a hot white stripe.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']I'm cool with that. You gonna be on Skype anytime soon? I miss your sultry tones, dawg.[/QUOTE]

I could probably hop on tonight for a bit since I finished all my work for the time being as of today.

[quote name='Indignate']Whiskers are lame. So are abnormally long tongues.

It's all about that bowl cut with a hot white stripe.[/QUOTE]
Gai > Lee

[quote name='ihadFG']I could probably hop on tonight for a bit since I finished all my work for the time being as of today.[/QUOTE]
You should. I miss you. Also, I've brought stories.

What the fuck, final boss of FTL?

I don't know that "focus down the drone bay" should really be the entirety of the final fight...

[quote name='ihadFG']I could probably hop on tonight for a bit since I finished all my work for the time being as of today.[/QUOTE]
Better.
[quote name='CaptainJoel']You should. I miss you. Also, I've brought stories.[/QUOTE]
fuck yeah, Joel Stories. :bouncy:

1288472513393.png
[/QUOTE]

The "Report Abuse" button has never had a more relevant label.

[quote name='j-cart']Why play that, when I can play BSGO?[/QUOTE]

Let's not talk about that game...

In related news I think I'll know where my next job is going to be by next Monday, I have one offer currently and I'm trying to see if another place I interviewed at and said they were interested can speed up their process so I can have two offers to decide between this weekend.

[quote name='ihadFG']If it works, let me know. I'd be down.[/QUOTE]
It... seems functional? And way more boardgame-y than I expected.

I just hope there's a way to turn the sound off. Don't need a fucking alarm every time a basestar shows up.

EDIT: oh god i dont remember how to play this there are cards and tokens everyhwere help

[quote name='icebeast']In related news I think I'll know where my next job is going to be by next Monday, I have one offer currently and I'm trying to see if another place I interviewed at and said they were interested can speed up their process so I can have two offers to decide between this weekend.[/QUOTE]
"Please welcome to the stage. . .Icebeast!!"

Hey, you know what this incredibly slow paced game needs?

fuckING SIRENS, THAT'S WHAT. AND DO YOU KNOW WHY? BECAUSE I'M A fuckING ASSHOLE, THAT'S WHY.

I would much rather avoid anything BSG related right now. For my sake and the rest of the GGT, anything BSG related is not needed in our lives right now.

@icebeast: Nice to know you can have multiple offers!

/edit: So FTL was a Kickstarter game. They have reported over 2000% in purchase over their kickstarter fund, which was over 200K. So those guys be rolling in some dough :D

[quote name='j-cart']I would much rather avoid anything BSG related right now. For my sake and the rest of the GGT, BSG is not needed in our lives right now.[/QUOTE]
Blatant falsehood.

Think I'm starting to remember how the game goes/figure this shit out. Still no way to disable the sirens yet, but I guess that's a minor issue?

[quote name='The Crotch']Blatant falsehood.
[/QUOTE]

bsg_fat_lee_adama.jpg

The only acceptable BSG talk I can take is if it only about BSG: Razor. That I can deal with right now.

I can only hope that we will reach such levels of fat suit technology in the futurepast.

And yeah, I think I've got this shit figured out-ish. Enough to do a trial game.

[quote name='j-cart']I would much rather avoid anything BSG related right now. For my sake and the rest of the GGT, anything BSG related is not needed in our lives right now.[/quote]

The game manages to be good despite the fact the show was crap. At least for the game, being a traitor means something.

/edit: So FTL was a Kickstarter game. They have reported over 2000% in purchase over their kickstarter fund, which was over 200K. So those guys be rolling in some dough :D

Also, they managed to not put it on sale last Steam sale, so there is potential for more. Damned delayed gratification...

I wouldn't call the show crap... but very mixed in quality.

The game's damn good, though. And free of terrible fatsuits. Longshot, you down to play some time?

KD9UI.gif
[/QUOTE]god damn whales are so smart I'm surprised more of them don't drown their trainers

It had some great episodes and some fucking awful episodes. But it's not like The Walking Dead where you can say, "Oh, I liked the first season, but the second one bored the shit out of me," because the good and the bad are mixed throughout the entire run of the show. It also has the worst fat suit I've ever seen. But overall I'd still call it A Good Thing.

Board game has spoilers for the first season and minor stuff from the second, I think. I played it way before I ever saw the show, actually.

EDIT: I should probably have used post-season-ten Simpsons instead of The Walking Dead in that example, butfuckwhatever.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='The Crotch']
EDIT: I should probably have used post-season-ten Simpsons instead of The Walking Dead in that example, butfuckwhatever.[/QUOTE]

Man, I watched some Simpsons episodes out of first three seasons the other day. They are so fuckin good. I miss that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back