God of War III -- Gen. Discussion

By the end on Titan, I had about 9,000 red orbs left with everything maxed. I could've gotten a couple more thousand orbs, but I was uninterested in Chests at that point. On Easy, I had roughly 30,000 red orbs left over, but I missed about a third of the chests on that run I'd say.

I think I started skipping chests too. I'm curious to know how many I missed on accident though. I'll definitely replay again for fun, but not on Chaos. That mode can go to hell (haven't tried it, but the few "problem" spots on Titan are enough to make me know better). Anyone tried it yet?

Question about the ending...
Or near the end. Zeus tells Gaia she picked the wrong one (pawn)... she should have picked the other one. What other one? Hercules? Kratos' brother? Did I miss something?

I'm getting all the chests as I go. I'm using the IGN guide. I think I missed something though. Doesn't really matter though. I assume it's like the last game where there are more chests with stuff than items you need to collect.

[quote name='Saint Noir']I think I started skipping chests too. I'm curious to know how many I missed on accident though. I'll definitely replay again for fun, but not on Chaos. That mode can go to hell (haven't tried it, but the few "problem" spots on Titan are enough to make me know better). Anyone tried it yet?

Question about the ending...
Or near the end. Zeus tells Gaia she picked the wrong one (pawn)... she should have picked the other one. What other one? Hercules? Kratos' brother? Did I miss something?
[/QUOTE]

I assumed that he was talking about hercules, but I got a feeling that the line is setting up something for the future

man even on titan mode this game is very easy. im still on my first playthrough and theres only been 2 or 3 spots i had to repeat alot. i get the same feeling from this as i did with kh2 ( everything over simplified) especially when it comes to finding hidden chests and collectibles. can someome tell me if chaos mode is more of a challenge?
i did enjoy the hell out of the hercules battle i figured hed be in it considering how loyal he is to zeus.

[quote name='Thomas96']
I assumed that he was talking about hercules, but I got a feeling that the line is setting up something for the future
[/QUOTE]

Go back and look at one of the documentaries for the original God of War

[quote name='KingBroly']
Go back and look at one of the documentaries for the original God of War
[/QUOTE]

Yeah. But
an excluded story from GoW I plus very few references in GoW III are pretty slim set ups for a sequel. I think clearly they are going that route... and maybe it's enough. I guess they didn't want any huge things left open after part III as that was a clear conclusion to that arc.

I've put around 7 hours into the game. I know I'll be able to beat the rest of it tonight or at least by tomorrow night. Its the most fun I've had with a game since Uncharted 2.

Great, my autosave was overwritten when i went back to try an old save. IDK why it saved over it, since i didnt get anywhere from that save point except death. So now im not at the cerberus and satyrs fight, i have to do the last fight in the labyrinth all over again. This is an annoying fight. What are some good tactics against those screaming women, and also those guys who go underground. I know you can use L1+circle to get them up from under the ground. But overall its like there are 3 different types of enemies and there isnt one weapon thats good against them all. Im really trying to save my full rage meter till i get to the stupid cerberus and satyrs fight.

Sweet even challenge of olympus is being a bitch. Im trying to kill everyone without any weapons challenge. I get into the mini game with one of those hammer brothers, and kratos walks off the platform during it. Im floating in the air doing the mini game, only to fall to my death when i finished killing him. Same challenge i press left and circle to grab a skeleton, and kratos tries to grab a cyclopes to the right. Seriously?

Finally beat that challenge, only one i have left is Get Stoned.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='CaptainJoel']You can actually redeem the actual PSN code on your main account if you want to, though. I'm in on a gameshare that has all of the preorder skins linked to it.[/QUOTE]
Wait, how? Do they allow you to register all the skins on one account now? Last time I checked, I'd get an error when entering the code. I'll try again.

After playing the game on the first night, I called my mom Wednesday morning and told her. "ma... you need to come over to my house and see this game... the most action, greatest graphics that you'll ever see in a video game" She's coming on sunday and I'm going to take the PS3 to the living room and play that first level on my big screen 1080p TV.

This game really made me really remember why I play video games. If you haven't play God of war III you might as well don't even play video games.

[quote name='The 7th Number']
Sweet even challenge of olympus is being a bitch. Im trying to kill everyone without any weapons challenge. I get into the mini game with one of those hammer brothers, and kratos walks off the platform during it. Im floating in the air doing the mini game, only to fall to my death when i finished killing him. Same challenge i press left and circle to grab a skeleton, and kratos tries to grab a cyclopes to the right. Seriously?[/QUOTE]

For that challenge, do NOT initiate the O prompts on any of the larger enemies. For one, it glitches badly like you said, and two, it wastes far too much time. Be careful to also not use the battering ram near one of the rocks at the edge, as Kratos will insta kill the Olympian and it will waste precious seconds.

The quickest and easiest way to do it is to grab and do the battering ram, and kind of run in a circle around each larger enemy... you'll do a fair bit of damage to them this way. The goal is to have the stone guys either a) dead or b) very close to it by the time the Cyclops comes out. If they get close enough, you can damage both the stone men each time you do a battering ram attack.

I also had a problem with Kratos trying to grab the bigger guys, not sure why he does that. With the Cyclops, I managed to shove him off the edge since he steps back each time he gets hit with a battering ram.

I finished with ten seconds left to spare, just using the battering ram.

If you or anyone else has any other problems with the challenges, I'd be glad to help.

Need two more trophies.

Beat the game on titan and 1,000 hit combo. Then ill get those and the platinum. However i dunno if ill be able to beat the game on titan mode. Still stuck at the last fight in the labyrinth, then the dog fight after that. :bomb:

Wow i got a 979 combo and kratos decides to grab a guy, after all that and ruin my combo.

Check that,..... one more trophy to go.

1283 hits later....my only trophy left is beating it on titan difficulty. :(

[quote name='animalspinners']For that challenge, do NOT initiate the O prompts on any of the larger enemies. For one, it glitches badly like you said, and two, it wastes far too much time. Be careful to also not use the battering ram near one of the rocks at the edge, as Kratos will insta kill the Olympian and it will waste precious seconds.

The quickest and easiest way to do it is to grab and do the battering ram, and kind of run in a circle around each larger enemy... you'll do a fair bit of damage to them this way. The goal is to have the stone guys either a) dead or b) very close to it by the time the Cyclops comes out. If they get close enough, you can damage both the stone men each time you do a battering ram attack.

I also had a problem with Kratos trying to grab the bigger guys, not sure why he does that. With the Cyclops, I managed to shove him off the edge since he steps back each time he gets hit with a battering ram.

I finished with ten seconds left to spare, just using the battering ram.

If you or anyone else has any other problems with the challenges, I'd be glad to help.[/QUOTE] I found these challenges to be waaaay too easy compared to the other prior 2 games.. I literally finished 4 of them in about 15 minutes... 3 on the first try.. It's all about sequence and what moves you choose against each character.. IF you play it on Titan you know what exactly works best for what and when so it helps alot..

I have to do the turned to stone .. got 9 times but then theres shit everywhere haha

And the bare hands one I have yet to do but got a good sequence down picking a guy up immediately then ramming the guys with hammers. then ending up in front of them and throw the guy directly at them for another hit.. then immediately when the cyclops drops go for him.. ride him and kill a bunch

I'm going to work on the last 3 tonight but its too nice out side in the last week after all of the shitty winter to stay inside on the game haha

[quote name='GameOverSuckas']I found these challenges to be waaaay too easy compared to the other prior 2 games.. I literally finished 4 of them in about 15 minutes... 3 on the first try.. It's all about sequence and what moves you choose against each character.. IF you play it on Titan you know what exactly works best for what and when so it helps alot..

I have to do the turned to stone .. got 9 times but then theres shit everywhere haha

And the bare hands one I have yet to do but got a good sequence down picking a guy up immediately then ramming the guys with hammers. then ending up in front of them and throw the guy directly at them for another hit.. then immediately when the cyclops drops go for him.. ride him and kill a bunch

I'm going to work on the last 3 tonight but its too nice out side in the last week after all of the shitty winter to stay inside on the game haha[/QUOTE]

On the stone one, if you grab the medusas, they will always counter with a gorgon stare. Tap L1 to do the Fleece reversal, fail the reversal, and you'll instantly turn to stone. If you start wiggling the stick before you stone, you'll break out of it real fast.

I was able to finish all 10 before the cyclops even came out... I think I broke out of #10 just as they were spawning.

And yea, the challenges were too easy, I agree.

[quote name='jman619']Holy shit at the ending.
So from the start. I knew he would kill Zeus. That part was really obvious,but then he killed himself...
[/QUOTE]

I figured Kratos would die, somehow, since Sony kept calling this "the definitive end to this trilogy" and that "this trilogy will definitely end here but we will make more with the name", in so many words.

I figured the only way for the Kratos trilogy to truly end would be for Kratos to die.. can't really make more games about Kratos if he doesn't live.

I thought they would do a Superman / Doomsday type deal with Kratos and Zeus and have them both kill each other at the same time, though.

[quote name='animalspinners']On the stone one, if you grab the medusas, they will always counter with a gorgon stare. Tap L1 to do the Fleece reversal, fail the reversal, and you'll instantly turn to stone. If you start wiggling the stick before you stone, you'll break out of it real fast.

I was able to finish all 10 before the cyclops even came out... I think I broke out of #10 just as they were spawning.

And yea, the challenges were too easy, I agree.[/QUOTE]
oh its easy I just started on it last night after getting pissed at one part I'm hung up on on the game haha.. The huge ass scorpion on titan.. I was so pissed I about crushed the controller.. I got on the challenges to relieve stress

And yea I knew the trick about O Medusa then she does the beam.. I got close last night just got tired and was THROUGH! I'll prob get it tonight

[quote name='animalspinners']
I figured Kratos would die, somehow, since Sony kept calling this "the definitive end to this trilogy" and that "this trilogy will definitely end here but we will make more with the name", in so many words.

I figured the only way for the Kratos trilogy to truly end would be for Kratos to die.. can't really make more games about Kratos if he doesn't live.

I thought they would do a Superman / Doomsday type deal with Kratos and Zeus and have them both kill each other at the same time, though.
[/QUOTE]

In a way it wasn't to shocking. They almost gave some of it away on gametrailers tv. He said is this the last of Kratos? Now that I think about it. There was also a part in the story where Gaia told Zeus. You picked Kratos over him.

End game spoilers
Since Kratos is dead, how would you guys feel if they started a new series of GoW games with Ares as the main character?

EDIT: obviously taking place before CoO

[quote name='seanr1221']End game spoilers
Since Kratos is dead, how would you guys feel if they started a new series of GoW games with Ares as the main character?

[/QUOTE]

I always thought they would make the next game with his brother as the main character. Maybe a game that takes place before GOW1. Where it could involve the whole family. There was a letter on hades floor that i think was written by Kratos' mom. Not sure but it sounded like he killed his mother too. But his brother seems like an obvious choice. I dont think the next game would be called God of war. Im sure they would make it known, that whatever the game is called, is made by the same team that made god of war. Hopefully it will be in the same god of war universe too.

As for Kratos killing himself. I didnt think it would happen. Because at the end of GOW 1 it says from that day then he was the god of war, and look over all wars from then on. Even showing soldiers from todays wars. But then again it seems like at the end the world dies? IDK. When he lifted the sword to kill himself, i actually thought he was about to hand it to athena. LOL. I didnt notice at the end, after the credits, that he was gone. I really hope they release the extra ending that they cut out. Maybe that will give some ideas on where they might go in the future.

[quote name='seanr1221']End game spoilers

[/QUOTE]
would never buy it .. Kratos is a fucking badass.. especially in this one look at the wounds.. yet he still kicks everyones ass haha.. HE makes the game.. And I thought Hercules was his brother? That's what he talked about when they were about to fight

[quote name='GameOverSuckas']And I thought Hercules was his brother? That's what he talked about when they were about to fight[/QUOTE]

Technically, Kratos is brother to many characters as Zeus had many children.

I always thought they would make the next game with his brother as the main character. Maybe a game that takes place before GOW1. Where it could involve the whole family. There was a letter on hades floor that i think was written by Kratos' mom. Not sure but it sounded like he killed his mother too. But his brother seems like an obvious choice. I dont think the next game would be called God of war. Im sure they would make it known, that whatever the game is called, is made by the same team that made god of war. Hopefully it will be in the same god of war universe too.

As for Kratos killing himself. I didnt think it would happen. Because at the end of GOW 1 it says from that day then he was the god of war, and look over all wars from then on. Even showing soldiers from todays wars. But then again it seems like at the end the world dies? IDK. When he lifted the sword to kill himself, i actually thought he was about to hand it to athena. LOL. I didnt notice at the end, after the credits, that he was gone. I really hope they release the extra ending that they cut out. Maybe that will give some ideas on where they might go in the future.
[/QUOTE]

I think the ending of GoW 1 is pretty much non canon other than Kratos taking the throne... Jaffe probably wasn't sure there would be a sequel, and wanted a game that wrapped up start to finish just in case GoW wasn't popular.

You can tell in the bonus videos for GoW 1 they had their own ideas about where to go for a sequel, like Krato's brother, but whoever took over in 2 and 3 pretty much when their own way, and threw out whatever Jaffe wanted to do.

Yea, I'm writing off a big part of the ending to 1 as just being a disconnect between what Jaffe had envisioned, and where the new team sans Jaffe ended up taking the story. It seems the whole revenge and vengenance against the gods doesn't really start rolling until GoW 2 when they start turning all the gods in Olympus into giant douches which they explained why.

One of those endings had modern day people discovering Cronos' remains in the desert. But as we see now, he was brought to Tartarus and killed there.

Anybody live near a fred myers and would not mind doing me a favor? I wanted to pick up one of the red sackboy kratos shirts they have.... shoot me a PM.

I really wish i could get past this last battle in the labyrinth. I think i was down to the last 3 people. Then i had to use my rage powers cos i had a sliver of life left but ended up dying. Whats really annoying is those enemies that go underground and have the black smoke. I know i can use L1+O to get them out of the ground. But i cant even count how many times i tried to do that only for it to fail or grab someone else instead. It really makes it frustrating when you try to do something, and kratos ends up going for someone else despite the direction you are pressing.

UPDATE!
Hell yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I beat it and i didnt use my rage of sparta power either. Ahh feels so good. Now i need to get past the stupid dog fight.

Yeah now i just beat the dog battle. Wave one i used the lion gloves. Wave two i used gloves and rage of sparta. wave 3 i used the blades magic shield with arrows. Then finished off the other two by pressing circle. Just hope i can get my rage back up before another big fight.

Ending spoilers

Kratos leaves at the end, end... there is a trail of blood showing that he is no longer laying there. Hinting he may have survived.

EDIT - Haha congrats 7th.

Alright, anyone want to give me tips on the final battle? So close to platinum trophy!!!

Okay the first part with Zeus i do alright. We jump up onto the ledge and start fighting. I can do this part alright...but any tips are welcomed. Then you do the QTE and throw him into the rubble. The 2nd part of this is where i really need help. Even when im hitting him with my blades it seems like im not. I dont see any combo numbers pop up anyway. Any tips on this part and what to do after that? I would really like to be able to finish this up tonight! lol

[quote name='fuss']Anybody live near a fred myers and would not mind doing me a favor? I wanted to pick up one of the red sackboy kratos shirts they have.... shoot me a PM.[/QUOTE]

what is this you speak of?

[/QUOTE]

End game spoiler + my interpretation.
Not everyone is dead at the end of GOW3, the world is just in shambles. The power that Kratos discovered came from hope. When he kills himself (rather than giving the power to Athena) he gives that hope to the surviving mortals. I viewed this as the end of Greek mythology. The people are, for the first time, continuing on without the gods. It is a dark time, but they have been given hope to overcome the fear instilled by the rule of the gods. My interpretation, anyway.

Not sure if I like/completely understand the 180 Athena took from GOW2 to GOW3, btw. I did expect Kratos to die, given that this was the "definitive" end to the trilogy.

[quote name='Indignate']Just got through the awesome segment that is
Cronus
. Sadly, I think I've reach the height of the game after that.[/QUOTE]

The beginning already was the best

[quote name='The 7th Number']Alright, anyone want to give me tips on the final battle? So close to platinum trophy!!!

Okay the first part with Zeus i do alright. We jump up onto the ledge and start fighting. I can do this part alright...but any tips are welcomed. Then you do the QTE and throw him into the rubble. The 2nd part of this is where i really need help. Even when im hitting him with my blades it seems like im not. I dont see any combo numbers pop up anyway. Any tips on this part and what to do after that? I would really like to be able to finish this up tonight! lol
[/QUOTE]

What part are you on for sure?

If you are on the 2D portion, send back his bolts with golden fleece and also pummel him with arrows. If he dashes at you or tries to punch you... jump over and hit him with Cestus. It will then move on... where are you?

Not knocking the game but can someone explain to me what are so great about the graphics?

Scale? Lighting? Everything that is going on? Draw Distance?

Victory is MINE! :) Platinum Trophy!

Now i have to wait for my damn skin codes to get emailed to me. Still have to beat Challenge of Exile that i got in my UE box.

Oh and during the battle.... there is a part where you
keep punching zeus in the face and the screen gets all bloody. Whats the purpose of it never ending? I thought maybe if you did it long enough you would get a secret. But after 10 minutes of mashing circle i gave up. LOL

Also the scene after the credits....
IDK what to make of it. Kratos is gone, and there are like footprints going to the edge. But those big bloody spots are as big as kratos' body. I find it hard to believe kratos got up, fell, got up, fell, and kept doing that till he got to the edge. IDK.

[quote name='The 7th Number']Oh and during the battle.... there is a part where you
keep punching zeus in the face and the screen gets all bloody. Whats the purpose of it never ending? I thought maybe if you did it long enough you would get a secret. But after 10 minutes of mashing circle i gave up. LOL
[/QUOTE]

Congrats! I'll probably do the challenges tomorrow to get mine.

As for this...
I loved it. To me it was getting the rage out of our system... showing you (Kratos) how ridiculous it all can be and to let go of it. It was sort of his final step. I too did it forever... I was afraid to stop!

Got the Hitman and Priceless trophy... just need to finish Titan mode
I'm just outside of the Labyrinth
. I think it'll take me about 2-3 more hours. Then I need to do the challenge.

Also the scene after the credits....
IDK what to make of it. Kratos is gone, and there are like footprints going to the edge. But those big bloody spots are as big as kratos' body. I find it hard to believe kratos got up, fell, got up, fell, and kept doing that till he got to the edge. IDK.
[/QUOTE]

This is my theory, and it's a theory only:
Kratos is trying to put an end to all things related to Olympus, including himself (since Zeus was his father) and that is also why he didn't give Althea his power to save mankind (he didn't want the Gods to do anything). He knows that he has no reason to live and will never get his daughter back, which is what he saw in Pandora, and without Pandora, he has to reason to live. So he ends his story the way he begin: throwing himself off the cliff.

Of course... I originally though he walked off the cliff to finish himself off but maybe he was helped off somewhere by someone? I can only think of Athena (maybe she comes back because she still cares for Kratos?) or Aphrodite (she's the only god we encounter who never dies, at least we don't see it) or even Pandora (lots of blue dust around..).

Either way, I don't think he's dead. At least not completely...

[quote name='Vinny']Got the Hitman and Priceless trophy... just need to finish Titan mode

Kratos is trying to put an end to all things related to Olympus, including himself (since Zeus was his father) and that is also why he didn't give Althea his power to save mankind (he didn't want the Gods to do anything). He knows that he has no reason to live and will never get his daughter back, which is what he saw in Pandora, and without Pandora, he has to reason to live. So he ends his story the way he begin: throwing himself off the cliff.

Of course... I originally though he walked off the cliff to finish himself off but maybe he was helped off somewhere by someone? I can only think of Athena (maybe she comes back because she still cares for Kratos?) or Aphrodite (she's the only god we encounter who never dies, at least we don't see it) or even Pandora (lots of blue dust around..).

[/QUOTE]

I'm positive you sexed Aphrodite to death

I just beat the Challenge of Olympus! Woohooo!

I missed the godly possession trophy and I still need to play the game in Titan mode. I will do both at the same time. I am not aware of the 3 missing items I need for the godly possession trophy.
Helios' Shield, Hermes Coin and Hephaestus Ring.

I am nervous about Titan mode....

[quote name='IRHari']I put in my codes on the 15th, still waiting on them...anyone else in this same situation?[/QUOTE]

Same day as when i entered mine. Someone said it takes 5 days mon-fri. So hopefully ill get mine monday. I wouldnt mind beating the game again using some of my skins.

Just watched the documentary that came with the UE, and its pretty cool. They talk about what the characters are like in real greek mythology, while telling the story of the first two games. So if anyone doesnt want to play 1 and 2 but wants to know the story, this is a great way to learn about it. I also found out that the grave digger in GOW1 was Zeus.

Back on GOW3, there are a couple things i wish were in the game.
One being a level on Gaia. I know we had the boss fight on her, and it was a great opening to the game. But i remember one of the first trailers that showed kratos in the forest battling a ton of skeletons, and then a minator i think. Then the ground changed and he was about to fall. This would have been a cool level. Also i know they cut out a titan battle, there should have been more, especially one involving atlas. Also there is no sign of Morpheus, he could have made an appearance after you kill helios. The same way he was in Chains of Olympus after the sun falls. I mean i think these things would have been nice to see, but the game overall is still great. Hermes is pretty funny, i love the way he jokes with Kratos...asking if he killed any family members lately. Literally gave me a chuckle when i was playing the game. Also i really like Hephaestus,.

I'm guessing
that was the part they mentioned they took out. Although the Cyclops part was on Cronos (albeit a different version of the Cyclops; but that hanging scene was still it).

I still have to redeem my codes for Dominus, the Challenges of Exile and the Documentary. Those are actually codes you input on PSN, unlike everything else.

[quote name='flameofdoom666']
Helios' Shield, Hermes Coin and Hephaestus Ring.
[/QUOTE]

After you kill Hephaestus, go over the left bridge towards that pool you came up in when you first met him. It's on the ground over there.

My buddy finished the game on the easy setting last night and I can't believe how much they dragged out the end of the game.:roll: Mind you, it did provide some closure for various chapters of Kratos' life, but jeez....talk about long and drawn out sequences.

Now if I can just get by that Guitar Hero-esque bs I can get the rest of this game done and hopefully just in time to grab Darksiders again during a B2G1 at Gamestop.

[quote name='Vinny']Got the Hitman and Priceless trophy... just need to finish Titan mode

[/QUOTE]

If that's your theory, then
I predicted the ending of God of War III many months ago.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/blog.php?b=11585

Again, is it just me or did.....
Athena seem a bit too 'grabby' for 'her power' at the end there. As if it wasn't her but someone/something else.

Maybe it's just me though...

OK IT IS 6AM haha I'm playing through on titan had to get my minotaur horns to get the horny trophy.. THERE IS NOT JUST 12 horns in the game.. there are extras so you are able to get the trophy without getting the normal 12.. seen here in the video below

http://nextgenwalkthroughs.com/God_of_War_3_Minotaur_Horns_Locations

When you come out of the Labrynth and you're back on top of all of the huge boxes and there all together now with the space between them and your save spot is there.. LOOK ON TOP OF ALL OF THE BOXES WITH THE HEAD OF LIGHT THING..
There are a bunch of orbs boxes and also a minotaur horn in the ffffaaaaaaar right corner.. last one I needed.. I thought I missed one and would have to play the damn game over haha but luckily I found some no one else.. that I've seen.. has found

AND VERRRRRY IMPORTANT!! DO NOT GO TO THE SHINY POINT AT THE FAR EDGE PAST YOUR SAVE POINT!!!!! UNTIL YOU HAVE SEARCHED ALL OTHER BOXES FOR HIDDEN GOLD CHESTS!!

THIS SHINY R1 SPOT TAKES YOU DIRECTLY TO A CUT SCENE AND YOU CAN'T GO BACK UNLESS YOU SAVED.
I'm beyond elated haha

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Again, is it just me or did.....
Athena seem a bit too 'grabby' for 'her power' at the end there. As if it wasn't her but someone/something else.

Maybe it's just me though...[/QUOTE]

It was either Athena or Hepestus who explained that Zeus hid three things inside the box: fear, hate, and greed. We know that fear infected Zeus, but I think that hate infected Kratos, and Greed infected Athena. Because Athena never seemed like a bad god so the fact that she seemed so needy was definitely weird.

bread's done
Back