Grammy nominated King Diamond screams "Metal Heads Unite!!"

[quote name='evanft']Well, there's the obvious, like Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer, and then there's Possessed, Exodus (Bonded by Blood ALONE destroys anything any of these bands did), Heathen, Vio-Lence, and maybe even Forbidden. If you wanted, you could throw in the NY and German bands, like Overkill, Kreator, and Sodom, or maybe Venom, too.
[/quote]

This $$$$a knows.

[quote name='evanft']Well, there's the obvious, like Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer, and then there's Possessed, Exodus (Bonded by Blood ALONE destroys anything any of these bands did), Heathen, Vio-Lence, and maybe even Forbidden. If you wanted, you could throw in the NY and German bands, like Overkill, Kreator, and Sodom, or maybe Venom, too.

:lol:

Thanks for the laugh.
[/quote]

Speaking of Heathen, when is their new album coming out? That demo from 05 was killer. I haven't heard anything from them since.

About BBB...man I love that album. I was more of a Pleasures of the Flesh guy, but Bonded has some great stuff on there. I think that remake they're doing could go either way. It'll be nice to hear it with more modern sounding guitars. Unfortunately those modern sounding guitars could also bring in some groove elements that Exodus likes to throw in lately. And the current singer can't hold a candle to Baloff.

[quote name='Blackout']Speaking of Heathen, when is their new album coming out? That demo from 05 was killer. I haven't heard anything from them since.[/quote]

I believe it's expected late 2008, nothing more accurate than that. I'll have to look for that demo, I liked their two albums.

I just made a crazy purchase on Stonerrock.com

CodeItemQtyPriceTotal
ATH-2321 Blood Farmers - Permanent Brain Damage (IMPORT) (CD)
1$16.99$16.99ATH-1378 Pod People - Doom Saloon (Re-issue) (IMPORT) (CD)
1$19.99$19.99ATH-1692 Church of Misery/Acrimony - Split CD (CD)
1$13.99$13.99ATH-398-F Spirit Caravan - Dreamwheel (FREEBIE) (CD EP)
1$9.99$9.99DSC-5FREEBIE ACCEPTED - DISCOUNT APPLIED [ATH-398-F]
1-$9.99-$9.99

Sub Total: $50.97 Tax: $0.00 Shipping: $4.08
Grand Total: $55.05

Ive been looking for the Pod people for the longest time so I decided to pay the high price for it. I got the "Blood Farmers" because I like the doomy sound. I am a fan of Acrimony and Church of Misery so I got the split cd. They gave one free disc for every purchase over $50 so I went for the Spirit Caravan disc.

This is the most I have ever spent for music is the longest time...Its not stuff you can find at Best buy either so I kinda had no choice but to pay the exorbitant costs...

My radio show has been confirmed, I'll find out the time slot on Wednesday. I went with the name "Into the Void" for the show name. I'll be playing some really interesting stuff within rock and metal, once I know the time for the show I'll put up the link to stream and download the broadcast. I'm also trying to get some guests to interview on the show. I've talked with the guys from Cynic, I'm definitely going to try to get an on-air phone interview with them. I'm also going to get some local Maryland acts like Triac, Wake up on fire/Oak/Inure/Moonshine people, Tarpit, Dactyl...maybe even Scott Weinrich!

[quote name='Xevious']$13.99$13.99ATH-398-F Spirit Caravan - Dreamwheel (FREEBIE) (CD EP)
[/QUOTE]

Awesome.

[quote name='CrimGhost']My radio show has been confirmed, I'll find out the time slot on Wednesday. I went with the name "Into the Void" for the show name. I'll be playing some really interesting stuff within rock and metal, once I know the time for the show I'll put up the link to stream and download the broadcast. I'm also trying to get some guests to interview on the show. I've talked with the guys from Cynic, I'm definitely going to try to get an on-air phone interview with them. I'm also going to get some local Maryland acts like Triac, Wake up on fire/Oak/Inure/Moonshine people, Tarpit, Dactyl...maybe even Scott Weinrich!
[/quote]

I will definately check it out

[quote name='Canadian_Man']Spirit Caravan's Dreamwheel is a good album.[/quote]

Two people said this is a good album. I'm glad I picked it from the freebies list. I haven't heard it but I enjoyed Jug Fulla Sun (I think thats what's its called).

[quote name='CrimGhost'] I'm also going to get some local Maryland acts like Triac, Wake up on fire/Oak/Inure/Moonshine people, Tarpit, Dactyl...maybe even Scott Weinrich![/quote]

fuck YES WIN.

A "friend" of mine today said that Mastodon is horrible. Our group of friends then went into civil war. I was on the "love them" side. Anybody else like 'em?

[quote name='MRJESUS925']A "friend" of mine today said that Mastodon is horrible. Our group of friends then went into civil war. I was on the "love them" side. Anybody else like 'em?[/quote]

I'm not a fan. Always seemed a bit stupidly overhyped to me, and every listen was just meh. Kinda like Isis.

[quote name='MRJESUS925']A "friend" of mine today said that Mastodon is horrible. Our group of friends then went into civil war. I was on the "love them" side. Anybody else like 'em?[/quote]

No.

First exposure to them was live, thought they were enjoyable. Didn't care for any of their recorded material except for "The Wolf Is Loose" which even then, only the intro riff is any good. Saw them again at Heavy MTL while waiting for Maiden and thought they were terrible.

Bandwagon band.

They have this kinda southern thing going, being from Atlanta and whatnot. It seems like half of the songs they play have a subtle acoustic guitar in them. I like that. Other than, that, theyre kinda run-o-the-mill. But I really don't like it when bands switch off lead singers, like them and SOAD in their last album.

[quote name='MRJESUS925']But I really don't like it when bands switch off lead singers, like them and SOAD in their last album.[/quote]

Listen to crust, they always do that.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']Kinda like Isis.[/QUOTE]

You go to hell for that.

BTW, listened to a new and mightily-hyped album today. Can't say it was amazing, but can't say it was bad. Rick Rubin either found himself beaten to death by egos such that he couldn't work his magic as usual, or he's simply lost his touch.

Producing The Dixie Chicks and Neil Diamond might do that to you.

[quote name='mykevermin']You go to hell for that.

BTW, listened to a new and mightily-hyped album today. Can't say it was amazing, but can't say it was bad. Rick Rubin either found himself beaten to death by egos such that he couldn't work his magic as usual, or he's simply lost his touch.

Producing The Dixie Chicks and Neil Diamond might do that to you.[/quote]

Can you explain what makes Isis amazing as opposed to Cult of Luna, or Neurosis? I just can't make it through a single album from them, only shit I like is their Melvins cover or the Agoraphobic Nosebleed remix they did.

[quote name='Xevious']
This little girl is SOOOOO METAL!!!!![/QUOTE]

I wanted to here her sing!

Not a bad for kids.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='SneakyPenguin']Can you explain what makes Isis amazing as opposed to Cult of Luna, or Neurosis? I just can't make it through a single album from them, only shit I like is their Melvins cover or the Agoraphobic Nosebleed remix they did.[/QUOTE]

Hmm. So let me get this straight: because (in your opinion), they aren't as good as the exceptional artists in their genre, they're just "meh"?

Following that logic, then, I should only have maybe 2-3 bands tops per each genre that I like.

Which is silly logic.

Personally, though, "Panopticon" is the album that I listen to in my office more than anything else. Keeps me workin' and doesn't distract me with the need to tap my fingers on my desk the way, say, Motorhead's "Overkill" does.

[quote name='MRJESUS925']I just going to throw this one out there.

I LOVE SEPULTURA.

there.[/quote]

I listened to them for the first time a few weeks ago and thought they were solid. Probably about that time I give'em a second, more thorough listen.:bouncy:

[quote name='Canadian_Man']I listened to them for the first time a few weeks ago and thought they were solid. Probably about that time I give'em a second, more thorough listen.:bouncy:[/quote]

Just a few weeks ago? Whoa, man. ROOOOOOOTS.

I honestly dig Mastodon quite a bit, though I've only got Lifesblood and Blood Mountain (two completely different styled albums).

Only one week until Sigh.. It sucks that Zimmer's Hole couldn't make the tour with them.

[quote name='mykevermin']Hmm. So let me get this straight: because (in your opinion), they aren't as good as the exceptional artists in their genre, they're just "meh"?

Following that logic, then, I should only have maybe 2-3 bands tops per each genre that I like.

Which is silly logic.

Personally, though, "Panopticon" is the album that I listen to in my office more than anything else. Keeps me workin' and doesn't distract me with the need to tap my fingers on my desk the way, say, Motorhead's "Overkill" does.[/quote]

Meh is an opinion, so yea, in my opinion, since there's much better, they're meh. Personal standards, and they don't qualify. Though I've pretty much lost all interest in post-rocky sludge nowadays. I'm pretty picky when it comes to bands, I only have a handful that I constantly listen to. Shit, I'm pretty much listening to Wake Up On Fire's, Muga's, and Hark! It's a Crawling Tar-Tar's sole albums on endless repeat for the past week, and that's it. All I need is the few that excel.

[quote name='Canadian_Man']I listened to them for the first time a few weeks ago and thought they were solid. Probably about that time I give'em a second, more thorough listen.:bouncy:[/quote]

Dude, pick up Beneath the Remains and Chaos AD. Roots is great too. Listen to those and you will LOVE them.

[quote name='MRJESUS925']Dude, pick up Beneath the Remains and Chaos AD. Roots is great too. Listen to those and you will LOVE them.[/quote]

I really, really like Dante XXI too, even though it's completely post-Cavalera. I can't really find anyone who agrees with me..

Speaking of Cavalera, I heard Soulfly on my local radio station, which was pleasantly surpring. Unleashed grew on me.

I've got Bestial Devastation through Arise. If I'm interested after a re-listen, I'll check out their critically-questionable releases. I hear a lot about them throwing in groove influences which I don't particularily care for.

[quote name='Xevious']*video*

This little girl is SOOOOO METAL!!!!![/quote]

Wow, How'd they get Dio to be in their band?

[quote name='Canadian_Man']I've got Bestial Devastation through Arise. If I'm interested after a re-listen, I'll check out their critically-questionable releases. I hear a lot about them throwing in groove influences which I don't particularily care for.[/quote]

Yeah, don't listen to anybody suggesting Roots or Chaos A.D. Both those records are groovy, riffless bullshit.

[quote name='MRJESUS925']A "friend" of mine today said that Mastodon is horrible. Our group of friends then went into civil war. I was on the "love them" side. Anybody else like 'em?[/QUOTE]

I'm mainly into the Leviathan album. Remission is decent too but they sort of lost me with Blood Mountain.

[quote name='Canadian_Man']No.

First exposure to them was live, thought they were enjoyable. Didn't care for any of their recorded material except for "The Wolf Is Loose" which even then, only the intro riff is any good. Saw them again at Heavy MTL while waiting for Maiden and thought they were terrible.

Bandwagon band.[/QUOTE]

Like Meshuggah! There sure are a lot of bandwagon bands.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']Can you explain what makes Isis amazing as opposed to Cult of Luna, or Neurosis? I just can't make it through a single album from them, only shit I like is their Melvins cover or the Agoraphobic Nosebleed remix they did.[/QUOTE]

Isis is more focused on atmospheric melodic parts than the other bands you mentioned. Their mood is also a bit more uplifting as well. If you are more into the aggressive side you'll see more of that on their first album, Celestial.

I LOVE SEPULTURA.

there.[/QUOTE]

Over time I've really come to appreciate Andreas Kisser's guitar playing. His stuff is quite memorable as opposed to standard wanking.

[quote name='evanft']
Yeah, don't listen to anybody suggesting Roots or Chaos A.D. Both those records are groovy, riffless bullshit.[/QUOTE]

It's a real shame they quickly lost interest in straight 16th notes and continuous double bass. :-({|=

Mastodon are one of my favorite bands. I was into them from the beginning with the EP and Remission. I saw them at Ozzfest a few years ago and it was horrible. The sound man should of been shot as far as I'm concerned.

Still, I love all their albums. The new one was interesting because I could not get into it right away. It had to grow on me. I love it now though..

I LOVE SEPULTURA.

there.[/quote]

I'm going to date myself here but I saw Sepultura during the "Beneath the Remains" tour in Cleveland. It was definately one of the top ten shows I have ever seen in my lifetime (those boys were young too). I saw Max drinking at the bar and I got his autograph. I also got Igor and Andreas autograph too but not Paulo (he was running away from people).

I also have another concention to Sepultura and that I went to high school with Derek Green, the new singer. He was a cool dude and I remember we took Criminology class together. He used to wear a Cro-Mags t-shirt to class.

Dante was a good album from his era but I still love the Max stuff too.

[quote name='Blackout']BTR and Schizophrenia are the best Sepultura albums.[/quote]

I just listened to Bestial Devastation through Arise and would have to agree with this statement.

BTR > Schizo > Arise > BD > Morbid Visions

All of those are great though.

[quote name='NTolerance']It's a real shame they quickly lost interest in writing songs that were full of awesome, actual riffs. :-({|=[/quote]

Fixed.

Last edited by a moderator:
These little quick mentioning of bands seems to bring along with it good conversation.

Who likes At The Gates?

started listening to them a few weeks ago and I've greatly enjoyed what I've heard so far. I'm starting with Slaughter of the Soul and moving my way backwards.

Hmm. On second thought, Death Magnetic ain't so bad. "That was just your life" certainly evokes the kind of spirit 'Talliker had during "And Justice For All."

Still overall unimpressed, though "The Unforgiven III" should have fucking died at some point well before recording. It makes, honestly, the first two versions fucking masterpieces by comparison.

I update the first post with new releases:

September 2, 2008
Anima - The Daily Grind (Metal Blade)
Blessed By A Broken Heart - Pedal To The Metal (Century Media)
The Classic Struggle - Bring Back The Glory (Ironclad)
Dimmu Borgir - Enthrone Darkness Triumphant Re-Release (Nuclear Blast)
Falconer - Among Beggars And Thieves (Metal Blade)
Into Eternity - The Incurable Tragedy (Century Media)
Hackneyed - Death Prevails (Nuclear Blast)
Hatebreed - Live Dominance DVD (Koch)
Into Eternity - The Incurable Tragedy (Century Media)
Kholod - Hundre Ar Gammal (Candlelight)
Meshuggah - Destroy Erase Improve Re-Release (Nuclear Blast)
Sigh - A Tribute To Venom (The End)
Sothis - De Oppresso Liber (Candlelight)
Toxic Holocaust - An Overdose Of Death (Relapse)
Underoath - Lost In The Sound Of Separation (Tooth and Nail)

September 9, 2008
AC/DC - No Bull: The Director's Cut DVD (Columbia)
Iced Earth - The Crucible Of Man (Something Wicked Part 2) (SPV)
Katra - Beast Within (Napalm)
Serenity - Fallen Sanctuary (Napalm)
Brian "Head" Welch - Save Me From Myself (Driven)

September 12, 2008
Metallica - Death Magnetic (Elektra)

September 16, 2008
All Shall Perish - Awaken The Dreamers (Nuclear Blast)
All That Remains - Overcome (Prosthetic)
Burst - Lazarus Bird (Relapse)
Destruction - D.E.V.O.L.U.T.I.O.N. (Candlelight)
Evergrey - Torn (SPV)
Intronaut - Prehistoricisms (Century Media)
Master - Slaves To Society Re-Release (Ibex Moon)
Obituary - Left To Die EP (Candlelight)
Uli Jon Roth -Under A Dark Sky (SPV)
This Or The Apocalypse - Monuments (Lifeforce)

September 23, 2008
Dignity - Project Destiny (Napalm)
Dream Theater - Chaos In Motion 2007/2008 DVD (Roadrunner)
Halford - Live At Rock In Rio III DVD (Metal God)
Metal Church - This Present Wasteland (SPV)
Underoath - Lost In The Sound Of Separation (Tooth and Nail)

September 30, 2008
Amon Amarth - Twilight Of The Thunder God (Metal Blade)
Antagonist - Exist (Prosthetic)
Bison B.C. - Quiet Earth (Metal Blade)
Bleeding Through - Declaration (Trustkill)
Blood Ceremony - Blood Ceremony (Candlelight)
Capricorns - River, Bear Your Bones (Rise Above)
Hollow Corp. - Cloister Of Radiance (Prosthetic)
In This Moment - The Dream (Century Media){br] Jeff Loomis - Zero Order Phase (Century Media)
Lord Belial - The Black Curse (Regain)
Megadeth - Set The World Afire Compilation (Capitol)
Meshuggah - Chaosphere Re-Release (Nuclear Blast)
Misery Index - Traitors (Relapse)
Nashville Pussy - Live In Hollywood DVD (MVD)
Norther - {i]N (Century Media)
Suspyre - When Time Fades (Sensory)
Trivium - Shogun (Roadrunner)
Xystus - Equilibrio (Sensory)

October 7, 2008
Bella Morte - Beautiful Death (Metropolis)
Don The Reader - Humanesque (Deathcote)
Forever Slave - Tales for Bad Girls (Wacken)
Holy Moses - Agony of Death (Wacken)
Rose Tattoo - Blood Brothers (Wacken)
SuidAkrA - 13 Years of Celtic Wartunes (Wacken)
Tesla - Forever More (Electric Company)

October 14, 2008
Book of Black Earth – Horoskopus (Prosthetic)
Brother Van Doom - Relentless (Deathcote)
Diagonal - Diagonal (Candlelight)
Fear My Thoughts - Isolation (Century Media)
Gojira - The Way Of All Flesh (Prosthetic)
The Haunted - Versus (Century Media)
Jarboe - MahaKali (The End)
Yngwie Malmsteen - Perpetual Flame (Rising Force)
Omnium Gatherum - The Redshift (Candlelight)
Serpentcult - Weight of Light (Candlelight)
Sonic Syndicate - Love And Other Disasters (Nuclear Blast)
Unearth - The March (Metal Blade)
Unsun - The End Of Life (Century Media)

October 21, 2008
AC/DC - Black Ice (Columbia)

October 28, 2008
Abigail Williams - Shadow Of A Thousand Suns (Candlelight)
Beneath The Massacre - Dystopia (Prosthetic)
Cradle Of Filth - Godspeed On The Devil's Thunder (Roadrunner)
Cynic - Traced In Air (Season Of Mist)
Enslaved - Vertebrae (Nuclear Blast)
Exodus - Let There Be Blood (Zaentz)
Lordi - Deadache (The End)
Nevermore - The Year Of The Voyager CD/DVD (Century Media)

November 25, 2008
Lacuna Coil - Visual Karma DVD (Century Media)

January 13, 2009
Too Pure To Die - Confess (Trustkill)

[quote name='mykevermin']"The Unforgiven III" should have fucking died at some point well before recording. It makes, honestly, the first two versions fucking masterpieces by comparison.[/quote]

I agree, but I like the solo.

bread's done
Back