Grammy nominated King Diamond screams "Metal Heads Unite!!"

[quote name='Blackout542']I can't even keep up with the shit. Thanks for the suggestions so far. I've heard of some of the bands, but never actually gave their stuff a listen.[/QUOTE]

Subgenres are a necessary evil. On one hand you hate to pigeonhole a band into a certain type of music, but on the other you've got got have words that can articulate a particular sound so that a discussion can be had about this kind of thing.

[quote name='Canadian_Man']What I am essentially saying is that there is a Meshuggah bandwagon and I believe they are heavily overrated and monotonous.[/quote]

This is truth. Isis falls in the same category. Kudos though to Bongripper and Baroness

[quote name='mykevermin']Man I hate subgenres.[/quote]

Would you rather get into a punk discussion and have one person talk about Green Day when you try to discuss Spazz?

[quote name='NTolerance']Subgenres are a necessary evil. On one hand you hate to pigeonhole a band into a certain type of music, but on the other you've got got have words that can articulate a particular sound so that a discussion can be had about this kind of thing.[/quote]

True, but sometimes it seems there is a genre for every single band out there. It gets a little crazy.

I was cracking up when I saw this:
[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOpLhPSR3lg&feature=related[/MEDIA]

Its an interpretation of a Mercyful Fate song

Has anybody here heard the Kerrang Maiden tribute CD? I've only heard Metallica's cover of "Remember Tomorrow". As big of a Metallica fan as there could possibly be, all I can say is "meh". That's not saying much since that song isn't close to being one of my favorite ones by Maiden. In the past week, I've listened to Somewhere in Time 10 times at least. That album will never get old.

[quote name='pitfallharry219'] In the past week, I've listened to Somewhere in Time 10 times at least. That album will never get old.[/quote]

I'm always dissapointed in how overshadowed it is by Powerslave, it has to be my favorite Maiden album.

[quote name='CrimGhost']I wish King Diamond didn't cancel his tour.[/quote]

I was PISSED! I wasn't that big on King Diamond/Mercyful Fate back then, but I was excited to see Kreator!

I'm seeing Testament tomorrow night :bouncy:

I just heard one of the new Anthrax songs "Fight em until you can't" or whatever the hell it's called and wow. Can someone tell the new singer that Phil Anselmo sucks? At some points the guy tries to imitate Bush then he goes into his whole Anselmo routine. The guitars sound like 80s Anthrax mixed with Stomp 442. I know most metal fans shit all over John Bush Anthrax but I was a huge fan of those albums. John Bush is one of my favorite singers. Seems like Anthrax was building up some steam then they ditched Bush and did that worthless Among the Living tour. I'm pretty disappointed by the new track. It's going to be 6 years since the last album came out and they pretty much wasted all of those 6 years.

[quote name='Canadian_Man']I'm always dissapointed in how overshadowed it is by Powerslave, it has to be my favorite Maiden album.[/QUOTE]
QFT. I love that album. The only Maiden album I don't care for is No Prayer For The Dying.

[quote name='hankmecrankme']QFT. I love that album. The only Maiden album I don't care for is No Prayer For The Dying.[/quote]

I thought there were some great songs on that one; The title track, Fates Warnings, Hooks In You and Public Enema Number One. Give those ones another shot!

In case anyone cares, I caught the Judas Priest / Heaven and Hell / Testament tour a few nights ago.....
and yes it rocked, but I've got a bitch.

Testament was good but Chuck needs to hit the freakin Gym and fire their sound engineer, all I heard was noize, even on the songs I recognized (I'm not the worlds biggest Testament fan but I recognized a new tune and, of course, Practice what you Preach)....but mostly the guy just wanted to "Turn it up to 11". Still, its great to see these guys up on stage....Thrash is a genere near and dear to my nutsack...but Chuck, lose some fucking weight....if only so you can do more than play air guitar on your mic stand the entires how.

Heaven and Hell...and I can't believe they sounded even better than last year when I saw em, and they were damn near perfect last year. Incredible show, if slightly compressed setlist due to time. Seriously, when I'm throwing the goat and singing along to "Children of the Sea' or Neon Knights....I'm kinda in Metal Heaven for a moment.....

Which brings me to Priest: I've missed them the past couple of years....partially due to them playing shitty venues where I wont park my car, and partially because I just totally didn't have them on my radar. And yes I'd seen the VH1 show with them and seen some TV of them playing in Japan on the last album's tour....but Rob Halford also needs to go on a fucking diet and, frankly, do something on stage besides send out the vibe that he's just going through the motions.

Look, I saw Priest in like 83 I think on Defenders...and its a loooong time since then....but Rob sings now like he's in a fucking early 90's shoe-gazer BritPop band....he spends the entire show with his chin buried in his chest, staring at the ground. Now, I love the guy.....but his entire stage presence is shuffling back and forth across the stage nodding his head.

The guy does nothing to pump up the crowd, just his "been doing this for 25 years" sing-along...where the crowd gets to see if they can match his pipes while the band takes a break for Geritol or enemas or whatever it takes......

And I was left feeling a little disappointed. THe rest of the band still fucking Rock...especially the drummer, Dave something...forget his name raelly, but the guy was the inspiration for me getting into drums in the late 70's and frankly he's even better today than he was then. The rest of the band too played great music and played to the crowd.

But Rob is just kind of a shitty assed frontman right now and its a little disappointing......its like....if you really hate this shit, don't do it. If you love it, at least let the fans know their NINETY BUCKS isn't going out the window (the "Good Seeats" I got for Priest in 1983 were, I think, $17.50).......thank god for Dio, they've played the venue I saw them at abuot 3 or 4 times in the past 16 months....and he announced how "hey we're back again for like the 50th time, and we love you guys which is why we keep coming back" and of course everyone in the crowd went nuts...at least he acknowledged the metal love.

But Priest needs to give Rob a wake-up call......a little more of the old Rob and a little less of the shuffling geriatric please. But thank you for Green Malanishi instead of "Livin after midnight"....and thanks for Painkiller instead of "Headin out to the Highway", it was nice to hear the "Hey they're playing THAT?" stuff instead of JUSt the old standbys...(or obscure b-tracks).

[quote name='Canadian_Man']I thought there were some great songs on that one; The title track, Fates Warnings, Hooks In You and Public Enema Number One. Give those ones another shot![/QUOTE]

Those are the best songs on that album. I still like it, but not as much as their other works. Maybe I'll just listen to it until I like it. ;)

[quote name='HeadRusch']And I was left feeling a little disappointed. THe rest of the band still fucking Rock...especially the drummer, Dave something...forget his name raelly, but the guy was the inspiration for me getting into drums in the late 70's and frankly he's even better today than he was then. The rest of the band too played great music and played to the crowd.[/quote]

If you're speaking of Dave Holland, he's been out of the band since '89 and in prison since 2004 for trying to rape a kid in a wheelchair. Scott Travis is the current drummer and has been since Holland left the band.

[quote name='HeadRusch']In case anyone cares, I caught the Judas Priest / Heaven and Hell / Testament tour a few nights ago.....
and yes it rocked, but I've got a bitch.

Testament was good but Chuck needs to hit the freakin Gym and fire their sound engineer, all I heard was noize, even on the songs I recognized (I'm not the worlds biggest Testament fan but I recognized a new tune and, of course, Practice what you Preach)....but mostly the guy just wanted to "Turn it up to 11". Still, its great to see these guys up on stage....Thrash is a genere near and dear to my nutsack...but Chuck, lose some fucking weight....if only so you can do more than play air guitar on your mic stand the entires how.

Heaven and Hell...and I can't believe they sounded even better than last year when I saw em, and they were damn near perfect last year. Incredible show, if slightly compressed setlist due to time. Seriously, when I'm throwing the goat and singing along to "Children of the Sea' or Neon Knights....I'm kinda in Metal Heaven for a moment.....

Which brings me to Priest: I've missed them the past couple of years....partially due to them playing shitty venues where I wont park my car, and partially because I just totally didn't have them on my radar. And yes I'd seen the VH1 show with them and seen some TV of them playing in Japan on the last album's tour....but Rob Halford also needs to go on a fucking diet and, frankly, do something on stage besides send out the vibe that he's just going through the motions.

Look, I saw Priest in like 83 I think on Defenders...and its a loooong time since then....but Rob sings now like he's in a fucking early 90's shoe-gazer BritPop band....he spends the entire show with his chin buried in his chest, staring at the ground. Now, I love the guy.....but his entire stage presence is shuffling back and forth across the stage nodding his head.

The guy does nothing to pump up the crowd, just his "been doing this for 25 years" sing-along...where the crowd gets to see if they can match his pipes while the band takes a break for Geritol or enemas or whatever it takes......

And I was left feeling a little disappointed. THe rest of the band still fucking Rock...especially the drummer, Dave something...forget his name raelly, but the guy was the inspiration for me getting into drums in the late 70's and frankly he's even better today than he was then. The rest of the band too played great music and played to the crowd.

But Rob is just kind of a shitty assed frontman right now and its a little disappointing......its like....if you really hate this shit, don't do it. If you love it, at least let the fans know their NINETY BUCKS isn't going out the window (the "Good Seeats" I got for Priest in 1983 were, I think, $17.50).......thank god for Dio, they've played the venue I saw them at abuot 3 or 4 times in the past 16 months....and he announced how "hey we're back again for like the 50th time, and we love you guys which is why we keep coming back" and of course everyone in the crowd went nuts...at least he acknowledged the metal love.

But Priest needs to give Rob a wake-up call......a little more of the old Rob and a little less of the shuffling geriatric please. But thank you for Green Malanishi instead of "Livin after midnight"....and thanks for Painkiller instead of "Headin out to the Highway", it was nice to hear the "Hey they're playing THAT?" stuff instead of JUSt the old standbys...(or obscure b-tracks).[/quote]

I didnt see anything about Motorhead. Do you see them?

[quote name='red flare graf']I don't know how many vikings patrol this thread, but the new Amon Amarth leaked. Definitely heavier than Oden.[/quote]

I've tried listening to them multiple times, and they always bore me.

[quote name='HeadRusch']Testament was good but Chuck needs to hit the freakin Gym and fire their sound engineer, all I heard was noize, even on the songs I recognized (I'm not the worlds biggest Testament fan but I recognized a new tune and, of course, Practice what you Preach)....but mostly the guy just wanted to "Turn it up to 11". Still, its great to see these guys up on stage....Thrash is a genere near and dear to my nutsack...but Chuck, lose some fucking weight....if only so you can do more than play air guitar on your mic stand the entires how.[/QUOTE]

Dude, the air guitar/mic stand thing is what he does. We don't need that changing.

Sucks that the sound wasn't great for them, but that happens a lot with the opening bands. I was glad I got to see them as headliners a couple of months ago, sounded really good.

Agreed with the above poster - no opinion on Motorhead? Did they not play that show?

XM is running an all Metallica station for a month. So far it's been frustrating, every time I turn it on it seems like they are playing "Some Kind of Monster" or some throwaway track from Load/ReLoad. I don't even totally hate those latter two albums, but there are a lot of useless filler tracks in there. They keep playing a live version of a new song "Cyanide" as well, and it does nothing for me.

Nope, no Motorhead.....I'm going to go out on a limb and guess its because the Venue they played at has an 11:30 drop dead cutoff for when the shows must end. I'm guessing they didn't have time to squeeze in all 4 bands in the allotted time and motorhead took the breather.

But yeah the Testament sound was a little overdriven, which was disappointing.....its also a shame more people didn't filter in for the opening act, they can still hammer it out.

I'm not the biggest Testament fan, so you get past Practice and Trial by Fire and I start to go "Uhhhh".

I recognized Practice What You Preach and the new one, More than Meets The Eye.....they definately didn't play Trial by Fire...which was disappointing. I'm sure their setlist is on the web somewhere.

[quote name='red flare graf']I don't know how many vikings patrol this thread, but the new Amon Amarth leaked. Definitely heavier than Oden.[/quote]

Thanks, I'll go looking for that one. I still can't seem to find a version of "With Oden On Our Side" where all the songs aren't 30+ minutes each because every track has been overwritten to be the same track repeated 10 times.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']new dragonforce leaked as well. disappointing to say the least.[/QUOTE]

Aren't they always? ;)

[quote name='CrimGhost']Aren't they always? ;)[/quote]

I never liked them. To me they always lacked attitude and a set of balls. I don't care how fast they can play, it's just missing that "it" factor.

I saw Dragonforce just a month or so ago at the Mayhem Tour and it was boring until the audience started tossing bottles back and forth at each other (it was in an amphitheater). While this is happening my friend saw a water bottle with a yellow liquid inside and he was bored as shit so he popped the top off of it stuck his finger in so we wouldn't get splashed and chucked it at the people below. So I think safe to assume because of Dragonforce someone or some people got drenched in what I believe is piss...

Holy fuck! evanft! How ya been???

I saw Testament a couple of weeks ago, Priest last week and just got my ticket today for Motorhead in a month. No Metal Masters tour, but 3 separate shows :D

[quote name='Blackout']I never liked them. To me they always lacked attitude and a set of balls. I don't care how fast they can play, it's just missing that "it" factor.[/QUOTE]

fuck Dragonforce! I never liked power metal, but I hate the fact that Dragonforce get's so much praise for being "technical", technical my ass. Those guys can't fucking play their songs right live and in the studio they have pro-tools to help them! Bands like Rush, Atheist, Cynic, and Blotted Science actually know how to play their shit. I advise Dragonforce fans to check these bands out or stop by my blargh http://deathbyhanger.blogspot.com/

[quote name='MRJESUS925']Anybody else into Gojira?

A friend lent me From Mars to Sirius, and i must say i was pleasantly surprised.[/quote]

I have that CD and but I couldn't get into it. I have to admit there are some cool things about it though. I like the heavyness and the production. Also I like that there is some originality in the music.

Maybe if I listen to it some more ...who knows.

[quote name='MRJESUS925']Anybody else into Gojira?

A friend lent me From Mars to Sirius, and i must say i was pleasantly surprised.[/quote]

It's decent, catchy stuff, though the only track I still listen to is "Global Warming".

[quote name='Xevious']I have that CD and but I couldn't get into it. I have to admit there are some cool things about it though. I like the heavyness and the production. Also I like that there is some originality in the music.

Maybe if I listen to it some more ...who knows.[/quote]

[quote name='SneakyPenguin'] It's decent, catchy stuff, though the only track I still listen to is "Global Warming".[/quote]

I enjoyed it. I didn't love it, but it was good. And I agree, Global Warming was the best song on the album. Overall, they kinda sound like a Mastodon-Neurosis cross breed.

Oh, and one other thing. Dragonforce is fucking horrible. Every song i have ever heard by them sounds exactly the same, and each one says "Far away..." about a dozen times. they suck. hard. Really hard.

[quote name='MRJESUS925']Oh, and one other thing. Dragonforce is fucking horrible. Every song i have ever heard by them sounds exactly the same, and each one says "Far away..." about a dozen times. they suck. hard. Really hard.[/quote]

That's my problem with them too. We get it. You can play fast. It gets boring after 30 seconds.

Not trying to be racist or stereotypical, but majority of Dragonforce fans I see are usually the obese ones with bowl cuts who are accompanied by a silent Asian friend who has no idea what the fuck is going on or what they're listening to... At least that was only ones I could see at Mayhem fest and anywhere else with socially awkward teens.

[quote name='bardockkun']Not trying to be racist or stereotypical, but majority of Dragonforce fans I see are usually the obese ones with bowl cuts who are accompanied by a silent Asian friend who has no idea what the fuck is going on or what they're listening to... At least that was only ones I could see at Mayhem fest and anywhere else with socially awkward teens.[/quote]

Hmm. When i see one, the typical Dragonforce fan is a 13-year-old "hardcore" kid who's been into what he thinks is metal ever since his parents bought him guitar hero 3 for his Bar mitzvah. I also hate the fact that when you tell someone you like Iron Maiden, they immediately ask you if you can play The Number of the Beast on expert. I hate posers. ARGH.

Holy shit. Metallica is coming to Oakland 5 days before Christmas. I NEED to go to that concert. Even though they'll probably sound crappy. I hope not. James' voice sounded decent in the Ozzfest videos.

Has anyone even heard (or want) hear anything from Metallica: Death Magnetic yet? I just realized it's out next month and eventhough personally Metallica died with Cliff Burton, still kinda hoping they can make at least one more good album (though I know that's kinda hoping for much).

[quote name='MRJESUS925']Holy shit. Metallica is coming to Oakland 5 days before Christmas. I NEED to go to that concert. Even though they'll probably sound crappy. I hope not. James' voice sounded decent in the Ozzfest videos.[/quote]

Shit...I might be out of town going to see my family. That would suck. I would definately love to see them in Oakland.

[quote name='CrimGhost']fuck Dragonforce! I never liked power metal, but I hate the fact that Dragonforce get's so much praise for being "technical", technical my ass. Those guys can't fucking play their songs right live and in the studio they have pro-tools to help them![/QUOTE]

YES!!!! fuck them!!!

[quote name='bardockkun']Has anyone even heard (or want) hear anything from Metallica: Death Magnetic yet? I just realized it's out next month and eventhough personally Metallica died with Cliff Burton, still kinda hoping they can make at least one more good album (though I know that's kinda hoping for much).[/quote]

I'm kinda anticipating this album. On one hand it has the potential to be decent. Not good or great, but listenable. Or it could suck like St Anger.

bread's done
Back