Grammy nominated King Diamond screams "Metal Heads Unite!!"

[quote name='mykevermin']Ewwww, the new recordings of "Black Winter Day" and "My Kantele" are positively *awful*.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I've grown to dislike the Elegy stuff they redid now too...it's usually they other way around. I'll dislike something at first but then wind up liking it. Not in this case.

So yeah, album is kind of a stinker. Still say the Karelian Isthmus stuff is better on the new disc but that's hardly a strong endorsement when it's less than 1/3rd of the material.

And to follow up on what I said earlier, that new Green Jello album fucking sucks. Too bad, the first two had some worthwhile stuff here and there. 15-year gap between albums FTL.

Devin Townsend's Ziltoid stuff is right around the corner for Rock Band. First track will be up tomorrow-ish, with the rest of the album following over the next several weeks. Addicted will be out later this year.

So Motorhead is going on tour with Clutch and Valient Thorr supporting them. Now I know my Motorhead very well, but can someone recommend me albums for Clutch and Thor before I go to the show?

[quote name='Blackout']So Motorhead is going on tour with Clutch and Valient Thorr supporting them. Now I know my Motorhead very well, but can someone recommend me albums for Clutch and Thor before I go to the show? [/QUOTE]

No problem man I've seen Clutch over 12 times here are the albums to check out:

Clutch (second album many say it's the best)
Blast Tyrant (awesome album)
Elephant Riders )another great album)
Robot Hive Exodus
From Beale Street To Oblivion
Slow Hole to China
Strange Cousins From The West

Most likely the set list will be mostly Blast Tyrant, From Beale Street to Oblivion, Strange Cousins and Robot Hive.

However, Clutch is known for playing a different set every night so they could pull out something from Elephant Riders, Pure Rock Fury or even Transnational Speedway League (their first album).

As for Thorr check out Total Universe Man and Legend of the World. There will probably be something off Immortalizer and Stranger also.

Thanks for the suggestions. For Clutch, should I just go for Clutch and Elephant Riders? They're both around 9 bucks each on Amazon.

Clutch - Transnational Speedway League (sorry, borked that before the edit)

Motorhead and Clutch......God Damn......I'm There.

[quote name='mykevermin']Show up late, Valient Thorr is trash.
.[/QUOTE]

I disagree. I thought they were entertaining live.

[quote name='Blackout']Thanks for the suggestions. For Clutch, should I just go for Clutch and Elephant Riders? They're both around 9 bucks each on Amazon.[/QUOTE]

Those are two great albums I would also highly recommend Blast Tyrant if you can find it.

The greatest grindcore band on the planet is releasing their newest album, and pre-orders start on Monday.

Gridlink - Orphan

You can get the double-album LP (Both Amber Gray and Orphan, each on it's own side) and a code for downloading both albums, along with 'Karaoke versions' of all the tracks, for, you know... Your 'grindcoraoke' parties (JOKE, fuck YEAH!) or the cd version, which includes a downloadable code for the disc as well, but is devoid of the Amber Gray album.

I know SneakyPenguin is a fan of Chang/Matsubara's other project Hayaino Daisuki, which I personally prefer as well, but I will admit that Gridlink doesn't screw around. Both discs are around 12 - 14 minutes each, but it's so meaty and crazy that you can't help but play it over a few times.

Discovered the french heavy metal band Elvenstorm the other day and listened to their 4 song demo that came out last year (only released tracks so far as far as I know). And while I try to listen to a little bit of everything, I gotta say, if this is their demo, I can't wait until they have a full fledged album because top to bottom, the demo kicks ass.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Hammerheart73

Three of their four songs can be found there (missing rebirth).

[quote name='Vulgarism']The greatest grindcore band on the planet is releasing their newest album, and pre-orders start on Monday.

Gridlink - Orphan

You can get the double-album LP (Both Amber Gray and Orphan, each on it's own side) and a code for downloading both albums, along with 'Karaoke versions' of all the tracks, for, you know... Your 'grindcoraoke' parties (JOKE, fuck YEAH!) or the cd version, which includes a downloadable code for the disc as well, but is devoid of the Amber Gray album.

I know SneakyPenguin is a fan of Chang/Matsubara's other project Hayaino Daisuki, which I personally prefer as well, but I will admit that Gridlink doesn't screw around. Both discs are around 12 - 14 minutes each, but it's so meaty and crazy that you can't help but play it over a few times.[/QUOTE]

Awww shit yea. Though Jon's comments on that post make me sad. Might not be a new HD album again because the first two didn't sell. I'll have to go out and buy every copy I see.

Bought tickets to finntroll and ensiferum in SF last night a couple weeks ago. Couldn't go because I have gall stones that make life miserable. I'm very sad, well at least my GF bought me an ensiferum shirt to make me feel better.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']Awww shit yea. Though Jon's comments on that post make me sad. Might not be a new HD album again because the first two didn't sell. I'll have to go out and buy every copy I see.[/QUOTE]

HD is really hit or miss, I think. But, I don't see what's not to enjoy... I know Jon said that if HD does any shows anymore, they'll pretty much be only in Japan (maybe he meant Gridlink as well) but they both did the Maryland Death Fest last year or the year before, I can't quite remember... Regardless, I've sent a few messages to him on Facebook, and he did say that Hayaino Daisuki is something he holds closer to his heart than Gridlink since it's an amalgamation of everything he loves, which isn't hard to see. I just think the market for a lot of the stuff on Hydrahead isn't too big, which is sad, because (along with Southern Lord) they have some of the best bands out of any label.

But, yeah, if you're into crazy grind with some of the most insane vocals ever, give Gridlink or Hayaino Daisuki a shot.

Found a leak of Devin Townsend's Deconstruction album. Those who were hoping for something closer to his SYL stuff will be pleased, I think.

Not all the way through it yet but there's definitely a mix of Ki and SYL going on. The first two tracks especially make me think of a Ki where he just fucking cuts loose and it gets all crazy rather than pulling back at the last minute like he generally does on Ki. A couple of cool fanservice moments as well with both lyrical and musical callbacks to older songs of his.

Great so far.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Found a leak of Devin Townsend's Deconstruction album. Those who were hoping for something closer to his SYL stuff will be pleased, I think.

Not all the way through it yet but there's definitely a mix of Ki and SYL going on. The first two tracks especially make me think of a Ki where he just fucking cuts loose and it gets all crazy rather than pulling back at the last minute like he generally does on Ki. A couple of cool fanservice moments as well with both lyrical and musical callbacks to older songs of his.

Great so far.[/QUOTE]
I have the ultimate fan bundle of both of Devin's Albums preordered. Going to wait till then to even listen to a track from Decon. Besides the new Dream Theater album, it is my most anticipated album of 2011.

For $45 and shipping I got both Decon and Ghost, Vinyl of 2 songs off ghost, clothing patch, t-shirt

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']I have the ultimate fan bundle of both of Devin's Albums preordered. Going to wait till then to even listen to a track from Decon. Besides the new Dream Theater album, it is my most anticipated album of 2011.

For $45 and shipping I got both Decon and Ghost, Vinyl of 2 songs off ghost, clothing patch, t-shirt[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I ordered that. I'm not listening to Ghost until I get the disc, it's the one I'm looking forward to more.

FWIW, the title track on Decon was the first time I've ever actually laughed out loud at a song.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Yeah, I ordered that. I'm not listening to Ghost until I get the disc, it's the one I'm looking forward to more.

FWIW, the title track on Decon was the first time I've ever actually laughed out loud at a song.[/QUOTE]

I listened to a song off ghost and it's way different than normal Devin. It's way more relaxed and almost like listening to peaceful ambient music (which is cool, I enjoy that style of music). I am really excited for both though. Although I can tell Ghost is going to be a big turn off for people, it's not metal, but more peaceful sounding rock.

is this strictly a "metal" metal thread or can we ponder black/death/etc metal as well?

If so, anybody know if the "Black 'N Roll" trend with Abbath's "I" and that Chrome Division band will continue? I don't know why but I just love what I've heard from them and thirst for more.

Also, how far back to have to go for opinions and such on the new Burzum? I'm still not sold on it, then again I wasn't sold on Belus at first but after about the 10th time I listened to it all the way through it really opened up on me and became my 2nd favorite Burzum record.

[quote name='nasum']is this strictly a "metal" metal thread or can we ponder black/death/etc metal as well?

If so, anybody know if the "Black 'N Roll" trend with Abbath's "I" and that Chrome Division band will continue? I don't know why but I just love what I've heard from them and thirst for more.

Also, how far back to have to go for opinions and such on the new Burzum? I'm still not sold on it, then again I wasn't sold on Belus at first but after about the 10th time I listened to it all the way through it really opened up on me and became my 2nd favorite Burzum record.[/QUOTE]

I don't know Chrome Division but if you want the extension of the I sound just listen to the newest Immortal album, All Shall Fall. It's a little more black metal than Between Two Worlds but still has the black n roll feel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOOebk_dKFo

As for the new Burzum, it's odd. It's not bad, but I don't think it's really up there with Hvis Lyset Tar Oss or Det Som Engang Var.

Oh, All Shall Fall was purchased day one. I traveled to Toronto, Ontario by Greyhound from Minneapolis to see Immortal play a 1,200 capacity club...

Chrome Division started as post rehersal jams within Dimmu Borgir and turned into a full fledged band instead of a side project. The only thing I don't like about them is that they tune to Drop C# which makes playing along a pain in the ass because I hate tinkering with tunings.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']I listened to a song off ghost and it's way different than normal Devin.[/QUOTE]
Yep...that's why I'm excited for it. Ki was my favorite thing he's done and that was the same way. I know Ghost is going to be disregarded by a lot of people, but fuck 'em. They don't have to listen to it.

Anyway - have listened to Decon all the way through three times now. I enjoyed it the first time through but felt it was a little bit lacking after the first two DTP albums...but it's growing on me now and I'm really starting to like it. It's a really clever mix of elements from Ki, Synchestra, Infinity, and obviously SYL.

[quote name='refusedchaos']Anyone got some good death or tech death metal band recommendations?[/QUOTE]

I recently discovered a great old school swedish band by the name of Septic Grave.

The Caput Mortuum EP was difficult to find, but is so worth it. Great guitar tone, some of the best death vocals I've heard in a long time all packaged up with excellent songwriting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HQPIey_1Ug

A buddy lent me his copy of Graveworm's Diabolical Figures the other day and I can't stop listening to it. The only track that isn't up to snuff is the Message In A Bottle cover that simply breaks up the momentum of the 4 incredibly strong tracks leading to it.

Production needs work though. One of the worst sounding drum kits I've ever heard (snare isn't crisp enough to cut through the guitars all that well so they compensated by making it too loud, brilliant!), the bass is almost non-existent in the mix, the guitars are WAY too muddy and the whole thing seems to have a layer of "what does this button do?!" on top of it. I mean really, if you're going to do symphonic/goth metal or whatever you want to call it, go to Cruelty and the Beast and study that mix. It's a technical marvel that album. Everything is present and perfectly balanced. I would love to hear this Graveworm album with that quality of mix/production as it would really be out of this world.

Finally going to sit down and give Hate Forest's Scythia a full critical listening today or tomorrow. I usually just hit a song here and there on random while walking the dogs so I figure it's time for this to happen.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']I assume you weren't a fan of his racist and homophobic ways. Neither was I, but I thought news of his death was noteworthy.[/QUOTE]

I don't question its noteworthiness at all. But, yeah, he stood out in a crowd of assholes, so I'm glad he's dead.

I've been listening to these bands quite a bit lately:

Dawnbringer - Nucleus
Dimmu Borgir - Abrahadabra
Ghost - Opus Eponymous
I - Between Two Worlds
Pentagram - Last Rites
Slough Feg - The Animal Spirits
Sodom - In War and Pieces
Times of Grace - The Hymn of a Broken Man

Going to Heavy T.O. next month, so that should be a pretty cool trip.

Damn, I haven't been on this site in a long time! Glad to see this thread is still around. Things have been going great for me concerning music, way too many awesome times with bands. Lately I've been digging Anhedonist, Disma, Pallbearer, and my homies Ilsa. Check 'em out. Cheers folks!

New Vader album. Cover art:

vaderwelcome.jpg

There's a live recording of one of their new songs floating on YouTube, as well.

It almost feels like it is impossible for Vader to let me down.

Thought I linked this, but apparently not. Back in the 80s, there used to be a swedish traditional heavy metal band band named Razorblade who only ever released one demo tape. They're reformed, and released this song earlier this year. Not sure if there's word on an album or not, but I'm hoping so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDrpOFVN1I0

Finally after 2 weeks got my Devin Townsend CD's in.

Surprisingly enough, I thought Decon was good, but Ghost might actually be my album of the year. Ghost really isn't metal but for what it is, it is awesome. It's one of those CD's I can just put in and relax to and it's nice.

Landmine Marathon in Sacramento in August = fuck YES.

Also, a new Clinging to the Trees of a Forest Fire album is coming out very soon. Excited for that.

Lastly, on my lunch at work yesterday, I was perusing www.theprp.com for some music news, and the store manager came in and was "highly offended" by what he saw and now there is a sign on the computer that says any associate who uses the computer on breaks or lunch for anything other than work-related topics will receive disciplinary actions, including possible termination.

im going through my music and stuff I haven't listened to for a long ass time, and holy shit cakes. Death - Leprosy, I forgot how fucking amazing this album was. good times.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']Yob was fucking heavy as hell. If you get the chance to see this tour, take it.[/QUOTE]

they're playing at a venue that's a 5-minute walk from my house tomorrow night.

and i'm out of town until next week. fuck fuck fuck.

ever heard of Endstille? They came up on Last.FM the other day and were pretty interesting. Vocally rather banal but the guitarwork is like what you'd expect if Burzum took a couple of lessons.

Picked up the new Sepultura, Megadeth Peace Sells 25 aniversary edition, Behemoth's Zoe Kia Cultus.

That's a lot of metal for sure.

I moved across the country the week they had a show in Chicago. Unfortunately, I doubt they'll hit the west coast for quite some time, but I am heading back to the Midwest this Christmas, so I'm hoping they set up some shows around that time. Have you listened to Twilight as well Sneaky?

Yep. I was leery of the new album, thinking it would go into "Isis-boring-post-metal territory" but instead it went in a fairly awesome blacky sludgy not-boring post metal direction. Was way better than the self titled at least.

bread's done
Back