Grand Theft Auto IV - Gen. Discussion & Info

Yeah, we should wait until they get the online fixed before attempting regular game nights... Otherwise it's going to be a huge hassle as people get dropped whenever a game starts.

for the people who beat the game...
Liberty City (5)
After meeting all possible friends, the ones left alive all like you above 90%.

can you keep going on dates with these people at the end of the game? I see King Broly is having a problem w/
Dwayne
but besides him everyone else u can go bowling or whatever when u finish the game? I been blowing off LJ a lot since im always doing something else when he calls. Just wondering if i can just blow off everyone until the end of the game. Thanks.

Seems like I wasn't the only one who didn't get an XBL card. I was hoping for it too since my subscription ended

I'm starting to enjoy the game a bit more by just messing around in it and seeing what kind of humorous situations I can come up with. My favorite scene: I went on a date with Michelle and I wanted to kill her, but didn't want to fail the mission and reload, so I figured I'd drop her off at home, complete the mission, then kill her. But after the cutscene she went inside, so I decided to play stalker and call her continuously. The messages repeated after awhile, but the few they had were rather funny. I've never been rejected by a girl for being too clingy in a videogame before. That was new.

Eventually I did kill her. It was a bit underwhelming, but funny when she'd get up and be just fine, but dump my sorry ass for shooting her in the head.

My other favorite moment was during "Roman's Sorrow" when during Roman's big speech I kept shooting him in the head. He'd fall down and get up and continue his speech as if nothing had ever happened. But the cops would still come after me.

By the way, does anyone know what tips the cops off? I haven't played much of earlier GTAs, but I'm used to stealth games and I find it weird (and annoying) that cops seem to know what I did and where I am because they're programmed to rather than merely spotting me. I also want to hide and kill a few police and retreat Metal Gear Solid style, but that doesn't seem to work in this game. It's all about running far enough away, which I find a bit lame.

I still say the core mechanics of the game; driving and shooting, to be rather janky and flawed, and the checkpointing is absolute rubbish, but it has enough novelty value to at least be worth a gander if nothing else. A good party-game I suppose.

[quote name='thehuskerfan']Yes! I finally beat the
Three Leaf Clover
mission! That was intense![/QUOTE]

i agree, longest mission for me so far. game is getting better by the minute, i love it

Is anyone else having a problem getting into a multiplayer game, I've only gotten into one deathmatch game with only 4 people and now everytime I get disconnected.

I'm not to impressed with the online so far, I wish there was a better way to get into the multiplayer. Everytime I get disconnected I got to the single player and have to go through the same process. I wish there was some sort of room system so you can see what game and the number of players.

there seems to be alot of online problems, mainly with ranked games. hopefully rockstar will fix this.

I randomly found something I wasn't expecting by just roaming happiness island. if you take the main entrance and go all the way up to the top of the base of the statue of happiness, there's a tourist sweater you get of the statue. corny looking but more clothes are always a plus in my book.

I got into a game finally, but no mics. I played car jack city, ehh, everyone was just trying to kill eachother instead of getting the cars.

OK, I'm feeling the need to vent on a board full of people who absolutely could give a shit less about what I have to say. So that is exactly what I'm going to do. I'm about 19.63 hours into the game and I've decided that IMHO, and I do mean imHo this game is INCREDIBLY overated.

Having said that I think this is a fantastic game and maybe the scores inflated my expectations for such a great title. I've played all the other GTA's and enjoyed them, I'm enjoying this but there are some major issues that irk me to no end. I could list several, but I'll just list my biggest complaints:

1. Online just doesn't work for me LET ME IN A GOD DAMN GAME !!!!
2. The radar in the bottom is WAAAAY to small, I mean my god, half the time I can't even see the damn GPS line. (i'm using a HD tv too, a good one at that. This must be unplayable on sd, I couldn't even imagine looking at the map =( ) Also the game seems to cut off the right side of the screen a tad, I can't see the last star on the right and there are no adjustments in game to fix this!
3. This is a small complaint but why doesn't Niko ever have to go to the restroom?!?!
4. The music is TERRIBLE, and when you use custom soundtracks the music still plays when you're outside of the car. I'm SERIOUSLY contemplating recording diareha hitting toilet water and listening to that instead of this fucking music.

Most people seem to think the story starts out slow and they hate the driving, I however LOVE both so this is a positive for me.

The main reason I'm mad is because this is so frustrating to me. It really pisses me off to think that Rockstar could have made a game that actually deserved a 10 had they delayed this game three years, and you know, started from scratch or something.

Edit: I may have been a little harsh, I was really pissed when I typed that. There are a lot of things I like about this game I just think maybe those reviews overhyped it. Bioshock just didn't have the flaws that this game has. Ok I'm done I promise!!!! =)

Edit2: If I turn it to Bounce or whatever the hip hop station is and I hear "Rolling with my top down" one more time I will pray for deafness! I mean there are songs on that station I haven't even heard but this one is ALWAYS ON!

I'm not sure the game is overrated at all. The review scores are what they are because, maybe it does deserve it. I wouldn't give it a 10, bur a 9.8 at least for sure. Gotta leave room for V to improve. But I have to agree that the multiplayer is broken. But most games suck online when they first come out. MLB 08: The Show's online was broken fro the first week of release too, so just wait and hopefully they'll sort it out. But it is frustrating when you cant get into a game. I've tried about 6 times to get into a ranked game and al I can get to is the loading screen and hear the voices and then, no, sorry, disconnected. I've played a few unranked though and there was no lag somehow, but the max players I got into was about 10-12. The potential is there for great multiplayer, they just need to sort out the bugs...

What is it with people wanting Niko to pee or take a shit?! Seriously, the game runs on it's own in game clock and basically like 20 minutes or so equals an hour in game, so on that logic every hour and a half or so Niko will need to at least take a piss in the game. Do we really want that? Especially during a mission or something will stop midway because Niko has to drop trou during a gunfight and take a shit during cover? There already is some equivalent of something nagging you i the game as is and that's all your friends calling asking to hang out in the game...

[quote name='FrankySox']Edit2: If I turn it to Bounce or whatever the hip hop station is and I hear "Rolling with my top down" one more time I will pray for deafness! I mean there are songs on that station I haven't even heard but this one is ALWAYS ON![/QUOTE]

Haha, I thought it was only me who heard that song an awful lot.

I imagine the problems with online simply have to do with the massive number of people who are trying to play, not the net code itself.

[quote name='lordwow']my only complaint is I get a dirty disk error about once per day.[/quote]

I'm getting the same thing, and it happened with my Halo 3 disc as well. I CANNOT load GTA IV now, i'm on the "Hung out to Dry" mission...really pissing me off.

Well, the online issues seem to be sorted out. But it wasn't from too many people playing. It was hard to find people to play. I still want to try out the other modes, but noone is playing anything other than deathmatch.

[quote name='FrankySox']

1. Online just doesn't work for me LET ME IN A GOD DAMN GAME !!!!
2. The radar in the bottom is WAAAAY to small, I mean my god, half the time I can't even see the damn GPS line. (i'm using a HD tv too, a good one at that. This must be unplayable on sd, I couldn't even imagine looking at the map =( ) Also the game seems to cut off the right side of the screen a tad, I can't see the last star on the right and there are no adjustments in game to fix this!
3. This is a small complaint but why doesn't Niko ever have to go to the restroom?!?!
4. The music is TERRIBLE, and when you use custom soundtracks the music still plays when you're outside of the car. I'm SERIOUSLY contemplating recording diareha hitting toilet water and listening to that instead of this fucking music.

[/quote]

those are odd complaints lol, well at least #2 and #3
2) dunno what you're talking about here, Ive had no problems
3) do you want this to be the sims? maybe add a meter that indicates when he needs to blow his nose or one to indicate ball itchiness so you know when you need to scratch?

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']I'm not sure the game is overrated at all. The review scores are what they are because, maybe it does deserve it. I wouldn't give it a 10, bur a 9.8 at least for sure. Gotta leave room for V to improve. But I have to agree that the multiplayer is broken. But most games suck online when they first come out. MLB 08: The Show's online was broken fro the first week of release too, so just wait and hopefully they'll sort it out. But it is frustrating when you cant get into a game. I've tried about 6 times to get into a ranked game and al I can get to is the loading screen and hear the voices and then, no, sorry, disconnected. I've played a few unranked though and there was no lag somehow, but the max players I got into was about 10-12. The potential is there for great multiplayer, they just need to sort out the bugs...[/QUOTE]

I played the unranked games and it works fine for me. The free mode would be awesome if people stopped killing each other and instead tried to wreak havoc on the city.

Also, I loled at your user name. When I first read it quickly, I thought it said Vladdy Boy,

[quote name='ananag112']I played the unranked games and it works fine for me. The free mode would be awesome if people stopped killing each other and instead tried to wreak havoc on the city.

Also, I loled at your user name. When I first read it quickly, I thought it said Vladdy Boy,[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I think the online problems are fixed, but people don't really play the game it should be played. During the team based modes, everyone just tries to get the most kills and money, instead of trying to win. Pretty much if your on a team with no mics, you lose.

[quote name='bardockkun']What is it with people wanting Niko to pee or take a shit?! Seriously, the game runs on it's own in game clock and basically like 20 minutes or so equals an hour in game, so on that logic every hour and a half or so Niko will need to at least take a piss in the game. Do we really want that? Especially during a mission or something will stop midway because Niko has to drop trou during a gunfight and take a shit during cover? There already is some equivalent of something nagging you i the game as is and that's all your friends calling asking to hang out in the game...[/QUOTE]

Okay I was pretty much kidding about the bathroom thing, I was just pissed off and was going over the edge there, same with the last comment about rockstar completely starting over. Maybe they'll create a patch for the radio as well. I hope that either A) they make a patch that changes "Ridin' with my top down" Radio to the actual Bounce Radio, or they are like Rock Band and Guitar Hero and sell us overpriced songs for each station....that's right, I went there!

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']I'm not sure the game is overrated at all. The review scores are what they are because, maybe it does deserve it. I wouldn't give it a 10, bur a 9.8 at least for sure. Gotta leave room for V to improve. But I have to agree that the multiplayer is broken. But most games suck online when they first come out. MLB 08: The Show's online was broken fro the first week of release too, so just wait and hopefully they'll sort it out. But it is frustrating when you cant get into a game. I've tried about 6 times to get into a ranked game and al I can get to is the loading screen and hear the voices and then, no, sorry, disconnected. I've played a few unranked though and there was no lag somehow, but the max players I got into was about 10-12. The potential is there for great multiplayer, they just need to sort out the bugs...[/QUOTE]

Like I said that was just my opinion about the game being overrated, that is all. I'm sure if I was a writer I'd get torched with the fanboy flaming tampon. I'm not saying that you are I'm just saying kids would have a period over my complaints. I do agree with you that this games multiplayer function does have TONS of potential if it ever works, which I'm assuming will. But we all know what happens when you assume.

[quote name='dave17']
3) do you want this to be the sims? maybe add a meter that indicates when he needs to blow his nose or one to indicate ball itchiness so you know when you need to scratch?[/QUOTE]

Yes, I'd also like to see Saint's Row toilet paper!

[quote name='dave17']
3) do you want this to be the sims? maybe add a meter that indicates when he needs to blow his nose or one to indicate ball itchiness so you know when you need to scratch?[/QUOTE]

Yes, I'd also like to see Saint's Row toilet paper!

[quote name='FrankySox'] Maybe they'll create a patch for the radio as well. I hope that either A) they make a patch that changes "Ridin' with my top down" Radio to the actual Bounce Radio, or they are like Rock Band and Guitar Hero and sell us overpriced songs for each station....that's right, I went there!
[/QUOTE]

I wonder if Bounce radio was just thrown it at the end since I cant find it in the manual credits, and I cant find "Ridin' with my top down" on any credits. Maybe thats why you keep hearing the same song, since there is only that one and maybe a few others, or maybe there's actually just that one.

edit: there is no bounce radio, but I still have not been able to pick out a song that I hear more than others.

[quote name='evanft']I imagine the problems with online simply have to do with the massive number of people who are trying to play, not the net code itself.[/QUOTE]

If the game had good net code then online play wouldn't be troublesome for anyone, except those with internet connection issues. I haven't tried the online mode yet but from what I am reading in here, I don't think I want to.

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']Yeah, I think the online problems are fixed, but people don't really play the game it should be played. During the team based modes, everyone just tries to get the most kills and money, instead of trying to win. Pretty much if your on a team with no mics, you lose.[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

You know, for years, I've hated rap. I mean I've really, really hated rap. But after playing this game, I think I've realized that I don't hate rap itself, I hate rap produced in America. I got into a car and the radio was set to San Juan Sounds, and to my surprise, I was really enjoying the song. I stayed on that station for a bit, then I went to Vladivostok, and listened to some rap there. This got me thinking, so I went online and searched for some foreign rap, and I must say, I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

I can't believe I never realized it before, but I think I've only hated rap because I've only heard American rap, and American rap sucks.

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']Yeah, I think the online problems are fixed, but people don't really play the game it should be played. During the team based modes, everyone just tries to get the most kills and money, instead of trying to win. Pretty much if your on a team with no mics, you lose.[/quote]

Yeah, it's much better just playing with a private match with close friends IMO. You pretty much have fun no matter what.

[quote name='mtxbass1']Any easy way to acquire a cop car? I want to do some of the police missions...[/quote]

Dial 911 on your cell, when they arrive jump on the roof of the car and wait for about 5 seconds, when they come after you get into the car, drive around until your wanted level is gone

[quote name='mtxbass1']Any easy way to acquire a cop car? I want to do some of the police missions...[/quote]

Call 911 and take one when one comes, or go to the police station

[quote name='mtxbass1']Any easy way to acquire a cop car? I want to do some of the police missions...[/QUOTE]

1. Call 911.
2. Kill Cops.
3. Take Car.

[quote name='mtxbass1']Any easy way to acquire a cop car? I want to do some of the police missions...[/QUOTE]

I called 911 and took the police car that came. You're not going to find one just sitting unoccupied and unwatched somewhere on the street, you've got to fight for it.

Wow. Apparently everyone was eager to answer this question. haha

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']I wonder if Bounce radio was just thrown it at the end since I cant find it in the manual credits, and I cant find "Ridin' with my top down" on any credits. Maybe thats why you keep hearing the same song, since there is only that one and maybe a few others, or maybe there's actually just that one.

edit: there is no bounce radio, but I still have not been able to pick out a song that I hear more than others.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure what the station is called but it's 102.7 i believe it has the Kanye West song, War is Necessary by Nas, and "Top Down" by Swizz Beatz. Not sure what the others are because those are the only three I EVER hear...someone help me out here, what station is this?

EDIT: I believe the song is playing in one of the reviews from IGN or Gametrailers

It's starting to get on my nerves that when I'm on my way to a mission on the second island, that somebody on the first island keeps calling me to do shit. But if I decline their offer, I lose some favor with them. Is there anyway to not have to bother with them and not lose favor with them?

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']It's starting to get on my nerves that when I'm on my way to a mission on the second island, that somebody on the first island keeps calling me to do shit. But if I decline their offer, I lose some favor with them. Is there anyway to not have to bother with them and not lose favor with them?[/quote]

if you go to the options menu on your phone and scroll all the way down you can put the phone in sleep mode. however, I think once you hit the mission marker and start a mission your phone gets turned back on, no big deal since no one will bother you in a mission, just remember to put it back to sleep after the mission if you still don't want to be bothered.

I'm pissed Rockstar put a beat the game in under 30 hours achievement in GTA4. I spend a lot of time fucking around and now I won't get the achievement and I definitly don't feel like beating the whole game again.

You can also save the cop car at your safe house so you never have to do that again.

For doing 20 vigilante missions, I recommend exclusively going after "criminal on foot" missions since it's 1 v 1 and most of the time you can just run them over. If it doesn't pop up as an option on the police computer, back out, drive a couple feet and go back in, it should refresh dynamically.

---

I've done everything for game completion except friends and all the collectible stuff(stunt jumps, 30 text message stolen cars, find all random friends, pigeons.) Not looking forward to going back but I really want to hit 100% before Tuesday.

AH man, I saved a hummer and a bike on my parking spot but the bike wasn't there when I got back, dang. I don't know what the very few of you are talking about as multiplayer works for me and I see all my friends doing online matches too. Of course I get disconnected from a couple matches maybe 2 out of 10 but the online is incredibly smooth and most of the time dc come from free mode games that start a particular game mode. There are people playing, if it starts you out as the host, go back and search again.

Great now my disk freezes my 360 when I start the game. Just fantastic. Well good thing Amazon will send me a replacement, hopefully that will fix things so I can get back into it.

bread's done
Back