Grand Theft Auto IV - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='nate88']For getting to 100%, do you just have to complete all of the main missions? I would really like to get one of those keys..[/quote]

main missions only account for 65% of the game
Then everything else is like 2% each e.g stunt jumps, getting all friends above 90%, stealing all cars for brucie, killing pigeons, etc.........

[quote name='joe2187']
lossantos1.jpg
[/quote]

There is one I just saw by the prison that 300$ dollars and its for vice city.

[quote name='KingBroly']How are you going over them? With a car? On foot? Sometimes missions will only trigger when you use a specific vehicle/outfit. There should be a message telling you what you need.

I'm really close to 100% now.[/quote]

I've walked over them with foot and by car. I've tried different suits and what not..damn this sucks..

so it took 10+ days to get it frm amazon...a few multiplayer questions...which multiplayer do u like best...team deathmatch, free mode etc? are you allowed to carry only 1 gun at a time or how do you switch between them? are their grenades? is there an in game menu, you an view people on your team, game stats etc while the match is going on?

I just made a rockstar social account but when I click "the story gang" it says I have yet to complete the story. I certainly have beat it and it's on my gamercard so what gives?

[quote name='DJSteel']I've walked over them with foot and by car. I've tried different suits and what not..damn this sucks..[/quote]

Be honest now....have you used cheats?;) that could possibly be fucking up your game. the same glitches were in GTA:SA and VC.

[quote name='rly723']so it took 10+ days to get it frm amazon...a few multiplayer questions...which multiplayer do u like best...team deathmatch, free mode etc? are you allowed to carry only 1 gun at a time or how do you switch between them? are their grenades? is there an in game menu, you an view people on your team, game stats etc while the match is going on?[/quote]

Car Jack City, Team Deathmatch, Mafyia Work, Bomb Da Base II, Race: Cannonball Run, Race: Helicopters, Turf War

are all good, well rounded game types.

Guns are a pickup Item, unless specified by a host on which weapon class are pickups for the match EX: Melee, automatic, SMG's, explosives (grenades, RPG's), Pistols, etc...

D-pad Left, Right switches weapons around

The In-Game menu is the start Button, viewing your teamates and game stats is pressing Down on the D-pad, but you'll use your Cell phone more often for menu option to log out or switch to a different game type.

How long did it take you guys to get the liberty city minute achievement? I got it in 25:21:43 but I didn't watch credits (doesn't matter because
Niko talks during the loading screen after the credits anyways
).

[quote name='Danil ACE']How long did it take you guys to get the liberty city minute achievement? I got it in 25:21:43 but I didn't watch credits (doesn't matter because
).[/quote]

i got it in 22 something hours keep in mind i reloaded every time i failed a mission or died so that probably shaved off a few hours other than me abusing taxis:lol:

[quote name='Danil ACE']How long did it take you guys to get the liberty city minute achievement? I got it in 25:21:43 but I didn't watch credits (doesn't matter because
).[/quote]

I got it in 28 hours and wasnt even trying. Using the cabs save a lot of time. I had all my friends 100%, along with the 2 chicks in the story line before i beat it.

BTW,
what does niko say at the end?

The marathon stats are screwd up. Last night i was going to swim around liberty city, but 4 minutes in he started losing health. So i decided to run all of liberty city. Ok, so i start from the peer at the carnival, run all the way up to the first strip club and across to the 2nd island. Run down time square all the way down to the poop deck. Swam to the Statue of happiness, and back. Start running back up, cross to the 3rd island using a bridge, and run to the brunt down mansion. All that took 26 in game hours, and it only added 9 miles to my running. Seriously...thats a lot more than 9 miles!!!!

).[/quote]

29 hours 43 minutes.

[quote name='joe2187']Be honest now....have you used cheats?;) that could possibly be fucking up your game. the same glitches were in GTA:SA and VC.

Car Jack City, Team Deathmatch, Mafyia Work, Bomb Da Base II, Race: Cannonball Run, Race: Helicopters, Turf War

are all good, well rounded game types.

Guns are a pickup Item, unless specified by a host on which weapon class are pickups for the match EX: Melee, automatic, SMG's, explosives (grenades, RPG's), Pistols, etc...

D-pad Left, Right switches weapons around

The In-Game menu is the start Button, viewing your teamates and game stats is pressing Down on the D-pad, but you'll use your Cell phone more often for menu option to log out or switch to a different game type.[/quote]

I did not and will not ever use cheats...

[quote name='The 7th Number']I got it in 28 hours and wasnt even trying. Using the cabs save a lot of time. I had all my friends 100%, along with the 2 chicks in the story line before i beat it.

BTW,
what does niko say at the end?

The marathon stats are screwd up. Last night i was going to swim around liberty city, but 4 minutes in he started losing health. So i decided to run all of liberty city. Ok, so i start from the peer at the carnival, run all the way up to the first strip club and across to the 2nd island. Run down time square all the way down to the poop deck. Swam to the Statue of happiness, and back. Start running back up, cross to the 3rd island using a bridge, and run to the brunt down mansion. All that took 26 in game hours, and it only added 9 miles to my running. Seriously...thats a lot more than 9 miles!!!![/quote]
I forget exactly what, but it was something very brief. After looking online this is what he says.
So this is what the American Dream feels like. This is what we longed for.

Thanks Danil ACE.

Does anyone know of an easy way to get an FIB Buffalo? Those look like a dodge charger, and i want it!!! :D Also is there any place that will fix a beat up police/FIB car?

).[/quote]I got it in 14, but the Social Club swears it's 17.

I hate how this game is so against me. I am using the NRG 900 motorcycle to do the stunt jumps and every fucking time right before the ramp a car gets in the way some how. Or when I am just driving around the cars try to fucking kill me.

Damn game should autosave after each jump because if I die then I have to reload the last save and usually thats like 5 jumps ago or something.

[quote name='Dro']
Who should I kill Derek or Francis? Do any of them give me any benefits?
[/QUOTE]

I know that if you save Francis he can help you lower your wanted level when being chased by cops in free roaming but not during missions. I wish I could tell you about Derek put I'm still on my first play through.

For those that completed the game how much of a percentage did you complete to beat the main story? I'm at 45% and was wondering how close I am to the end.

i signed up for the social club and linked my XBL account to it, but it doesn't give me any details about my percentage or anything about my game status...where do i have to go to see this? all i see is the info i entered when i opened the account

also, do you have to sign up for the social club BEFORE playing or can you sign up after you've already played some and can still qualify for the 100% prize drawing?

[quote name='Razzuel']I hate how this game is so against me. I am using the NRG 900 motorcycle to do the stunt jumps and every fucking time right before the ramp a car gets in the way some how. Or when I am just driving around the cars try to fucking kill me.

Damn game should autosave after each jump because if I die then I have to reload the last save and usually thats like 5 jumps ago or something.[/quote]

I was doing some stunt jumps the other day and i was using the same bike. When i did this one jump niko kept turning upside down and i would land on my head. I dunno why he does that, im not pressing anything. Really annoying, so i did the jump in a car.

[quote name='swetooth9']i signed up for the social club and linked my XBL account to it, but it doesn't give me any details about my percentage or anything about my game status...where do i have to go to see this? all i see is the info i entered when i opened the account

also, do you have to sign up for the social club BEFORE playing or can you sign up after you've already played some and can still qualify for the 100% prize drawing?[/quote]

The Social Club is only like a week delay or something. It's said I've been at 78% for at least 4-5 days, even though today I just got 100%.

I did not use cheats during Story Mode, but when I got to about the 36th stunt jump, I decided that I was going to use them to spawn vehicles. Cheats still allow you to get 100% btw. Also, some missions only activate at certain times of day.

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']Fun story: people quoting the guy who spoiled the ending are, in turn, spoiling the ending for those who didn't see the original post.[/quote]
haha, i hate when people do that.. :lol:

[quote name='The 7th Number']I was doing some stunt jumps the other day and i was using the same bike. When i did this one jump niko kept turning upside down and i would land on my head. I dunno why he does that, im not pressing anything. Really annoying, so i did the jump in a car.[/quote]

Yeah that has only happened to me once. It was strange.

I just finished getting all the stunt jumps; woo hoo!

do you have to sign up for the social club BEFORE playing or can you sign up after you've already played some and can still qualify for the 100% prize drawing?

God damn the last couple of missions are a pain. Specifically the one where you have to get on the boat and kill everyone. HOLY CRAP. I got all the way to the bridge, opened the cargo bay door and on my way back down I got freaking owned. It is so much harder going down stairs than going up stairs in this game. It should be the freaking opposite. I got all the way to the the 2nd floor only to have an asshole blind fire and take away my almost full health bar.

It's a pain in the ass... You gotta take out one side of the boat and then turn around and go in the opposite direction to make sure you take care of the other side too.

Originally Posted by DarkRider23
[quote name='DarkRider23']God damn the last couple of missions are a pain. Specifically the one where you have to get on the boat and kill everyone. HOLY CRAP. I got all the way to the bridge, opened the cargo bay door and on my way back down I got freaking owned. It is so much harder going down stairs than going up stairs in this game. It should be the freaking opposite. I got all the way to the the 2nd floor only to have an asshole blind fire and take away my almost full health bar.

It's a pain in the ass... You gotta take out one side of the boat and then turn around and go in the opposite direction to make sure you take care of the other side too.[/quote]

If you use auto target, try holding the right analog up a bit to get easy head shots. Saves bullets and save you from getting hit a lot. I beat that mission on my first try. It was a pretty good mission.

[quote name='DarkRider23']
God damn the last couple of missions are a pain. Specifically the one where you have to get on the boat and kill everyone. HOLY CRAP. I got all the way to the bridge, opened the cargo bay door and on my way back down I got freaking owned. It is so much harder going down stairs than going up stairs in this game. It should be the freaking opposite. I got all the way to the the 2nd floor only to have an asshole blind fire and take away my almost full health bar.

It's a pain in the ass... You gotta take out one side of the boat and then turn around and go in the opposite direction to make sure you take care of the other side too.
[/quote]Making posts as general and uninformative as you can while still mentioning key missions of the game doesn't mean you can just skip the spoiler tags altogether.

Are you guys serious? I could've said that you are in the
boat to kill Dmitri
, but I didn't. Big deal... You're on a freaking
boat.
How the hell does that ruin the game in the least bit?

And wtf. I get three people attacking me about not spoiler tagging an uninformative post, but a guy who actually ruined the ending a couple of pages back didn't get bitched at by more than two people.

And before you start attacking me again, how about you start bitching at other people? I'll quote them for you.

[quote name='zengonzo']You mean like Brucie giving you the race car?

I can't be sure, but it seems like it's your responsibility to physically bring it to your safehouse at that point.

That is, I don't think it has a respawn point for you, so you might have to just hunt it down again in the city ..[/quote]

[quote name='dro']
I just tried doing the mission where you rob a bank, I got pretty far, until I was supposed to find a 4 door car. Any tips?[/quote]

Oh, there's one more I would love to post, but with how anal you guys are you would probably end up killing me instead of the guy who originally posted it.

I've owned GTA4 for about a week now and put maybe 10 hours or so into it, but so far I'm not super impressed and can't understand why game reviewers were giving out 10s for this game.

It just has too many problems. Poorly designed missions (with horrible car chases, long drives to the other side of the map and back again and too much scripting), lack of mid mission checkpoints, lack of save points, poor AI, poor controls (both on foot and in vehicles) and framerate problems. I would give it a 7.5 (or maybe an 8 if I was feeling generous). I enjoyed the Godfather: Black Hand Edition on the Wii more then GTA4 so far.

Hopefully it gets better.

[quote name='Kaijufan']I've owned GTA4 for about a week now and put maybe 10 hours or so into it, but so far I'm not super impressed and can't understand why game reviewers were giving out 10s for this game.

It just has too many problems. Poorly designed missions (with horrible car chases, long drives to the other side of the map and back again and too much scripting), lack of mid mission checkpoints, lack of save points, poor AI, poor controls (both on foot and in vehicles) and framerate problems. I would give it a 7.5 (or maybe an 8 if I was feeling generous). I enjoyed the Godfather: Black Hand Edition on the Wii more then GTA4 so far.

Hopefully it gets better.[/quote]

i agree that the driving missions sometimes have you drive way too far and back again, but i think the controls are great and it autosaves after each mission (is that not enough?); mid-mission checkpoints??? seriously?

i have not encountered framerate problems (7 hours in)

overall it's been pretty fun for me so far...missions kinda get monotonous, but i want to keep playing b/c i love the cutscenes

the driving issue dosn't seem bad at all... ever heard of taxis? that was my favorite part of the game since I don't like driving too much. saves so much time.

as for the biggest complaint I have for the game is that it sorely needs checkpoints.

[quote name='swetooth9']i agree that the driving missions sometimes have you drive way too far and back again, but i think the controls are great and it autosaves after each mission (is that not enough?); mid-mission checkpoints??? seriously?

overall it's been pretty fun for me so far...missions kinda get monotonous, but i want to keep playing b/c i love the cutscenes[/quote]

The framerate issues will come. They aren't very noticable as you think they would be, but you can tell for sure.

Im trying to do the random people missions, but some dont appear. I know some are triggered after you do another one first, but damn. How long do i have to wait to have them appear? Are they always there, or only certain times of the day?

[quote name='swetooth9']i agree that the driving missions sometimes have you drive way too far and back again, but i think the controls are great and it autosaves after each mission (is that not enough?); mid-mission checkpoints??? seriously?

overall it's been pretty fun for me so far...missions kinda get monotonous, but i want to keep playing b/c i love the cutscenes[/quote]
So I shouldn't expect a game like Grand Theft Auto 4 to have mid mission checkpoints, especially after those annoying chases?

I've only experienced minor framerate drops at this point, but I'm sure it's going to get worse before it gets better. To be fair I should of said technical issues, to include draw distance and texture/object pop in. I hate it when I'm about to steal a car, I look around to check for cops and see no cars, only to have the cops and several other cars spawn in behind me right as I'm stealing the car. :roll:

The car controls seem off to me, but then again it could just be that I'm not used to them yet.

Still the on foot controls seem pretty bad. Niko controls like a tank and I have to hold a button to run and tap it to sprint? I expect better controls from a AAA type game.

[quote name='Kaijufan']So I shouldn't expect a game like Grand Theft Auto 4 to have mid mission checkpoints, especially after those annoying chases? Agreed. I failed a mission that made me drive all the way across the map, get rid of a 3 star wanted level and then drive all the way back across the map. Would it have been that hard to give me a checkpoint after getting across the map once? Most annoying thing ever in GTA would have to be that.

I've only experienced minor framerate drops at this point, but I'm sure it's going to get worse before it gets better. To be fair I should of said technical issues, to include draw distance and texture/object pop in. I hate it when I'm about to steal a car, I look around to check for cops and see no cars, only to have the cops and several other cars spawn in behind me right as I'm stealing the car. :roll: I haven't noticed any frame rate problems yet. Can't really say I've noticed cops popping in out of nowhere partly because I don't look around to see if there's a cop around me when I'm stealing a car.

The car controls seem off to me, but then again it could just be that I'm not used to them yet. They were a bit iffy at first, but I got used to them. The only thing I don't like is that your car refuses to turn when you brake. Wth is that?

Still the on foot controls seem pretty bad. Niko controls like a tank and I have to hold a button to run and tap it to sprint? I expect better controls from a AAA type game. I don't really have any complaints about the controls other than it's really hard to control Niko in tight spaces. [/quote]

BOLDED.

[quote name='The 7th Number']Im trying to do the random people missions, but some dont appear. I know some are triggered after you do another one first, but damn. How long do i have to wait to have them appear? Are they always there, or only certain times of the day?[/QUOTE]

The only one I know of that has specific times is
the murderer Eddie Low in Alderney, who will only appear at his two sections from 10pm-4am.

Otherwise, yeah, the wait for the repeaters is annoying. I'm not sure how long they take.

[quote name='Littlefields']The framerate issues will come. They aren't very noticable as you think they would be, but you can tell for sure.[/quote]

Hmm...I am 52 hours in and I haven't noticed any frame rate issues.

[quote name='Razzuel']Hmm...I am 52 hours in and I haven't noticed any frame rate issues.[/QUOTE]

Same here. If they exist at all, they are so infrequent that to complain about them is just being an ass. Especially with the 360 version, which has a 20% better framerate than the PS3 game. And yes, everyone who expects a game this huge in scope to have no problems whatsoever and be literally perfect in every way is a ****.

The only framerate issues I've run into was when I was going for the blow up 10 cars in 10 seconds achievement. Definitely some issues there....

[quote name='Callandor']The only one I know of that has specific times is
the murderer Eddie Low in Alderney, who will only appear at his two sections from 10pm-4am.

Otherwise, yeah, the wait for the repeaters is annoying. I'm not sure how long they take.[/quote]

Thanks i just picked that person up, very interesting. Guess i have to save to pass a few days away and they should unlock. I have 4 left.

bread's done
Back