Grand Theft Auto IV - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='Filbert']Well I upgraded my PC's video card so I could play Bioshock and Crysis on there before I bought my 360. On top of that, I play my 360 on the same monitor my computer uses so it's painfully apparent when comparing PC to 360 games. Especially the resolution.

Of course that doesn't mean I haven't enjoyed the 360 games. They just don't look very good.[/QUOTE]

No, your standards are too high. You've set yourself up for disappointment.

[quote name='Wolve11']Those of you who bought the SE: Was it worth it? I'm thinking of picking it up, but are the extra things worth the money?[/quote]

[quote name='Littlefields']Wondering the same thing. I always end up regretting not buying the SE later on. :cry:[/quote]

You know, I bought the regular, and I regret not buying the SE. I went into GS, and they had one opened and I got to see it. It was pretty sweet.

I Got the SE, the Soundtrack has a great few selections.

The Lockbox is useful, although not as useful as the duffel bag, which looks freakin sweet by the way and is great use at the gym, slings right under your shoulder very comfortably, like the bag Niko carries in a certain mission.

And the Keychain is a sexy piece of metal. but otherwise it's just useless swag. The real meat is the game itself.

Kinda wished I didn't rush through this GTA. Very fun and addicting. I can't wait for the DLC to pick the loose ends of the story. Now I wait for MGS4...

I beat it a few days ago, and I must say, San Andreas was my favorite, but now 4 is. The characters are just too fucking likable (with the exception of fucking
Manny the peice of shit
, and it just feels right to me.

[quote name='f50turbo']I was just doing the mission where
You had to kill either Francis or Derrick. I didn't think about it earlier before it was too late, but I'm starting to wonder what would happen if you just took out an RPG and killed them both and whether or not the story would still continue.
[/quote]

What happens is...
if you kill them both, the mission is failed and tells you that you were supposed to only kill one of the brothers.

I just redid the mission to see it...i saved it right before each major decision. But after i kill one of them, i went for the next mission....
Undertaker.....where you have to drive the dead brother to the grave yard. For some reason the police came after us too. But the back of the car got so damaged that the coffins top came off and you could see him laying in it. :)

[quote name='eastx']No, your standards are too high. You've set yourself up for disappointment.[/quote]

Eh, I guess. But most games pale when compared to Crysis in the graphical department.

Although Bretts31344 is right. If I could play these 360 games on something with a 720p or lower native resolution I would probably enjoy them more.

[quote name='Filbert']Eh, I guess. But most games pale when compared to Crysis in the graphical department.[/quote]

Yeah, too bad the game blows.

[quote name='MorbidAngel4Life']The characters are just too fucking likable (with the exception of fucking
Manny the peice of shit
, and it just feels right to me.[/QUOTE]

That is not a spoiler.

rickrolled.jpg

[quote name='MorbidAngel4Life']I beat it a few days ago, and I must say, San Andreas was my favorite, but now 4 is. The characters are just too fucking likable (with the exception of fucking
Manny the peice of shit
, and it just feels right to me.[/quote]

Honestly i dont see the point in Manny and Elizabetha. They have no impact in the story, and after
a few missions they no longer matter.

[quote name='The 7th Number']Honestly i dont see the point in Manny and Elizabetha. They have no impact in the story, and after
a few missions they no longer matter.
[/QUOTE]

Doesn't Elizabetha introduce you to Packie?

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Doesn't Elizabetha introduce you to Packie?[/quote]

The characters and missions are like domino effects..

You don't meet Elizabeta, you don't meet Playboy X, you never find out about Michelle.. Manny was a throw away character.. which is why they killed him off pretty quickly.. he seemed like filler

[quote name='DJSteel']The characters and missions are like domino effects..

You don't meet Elizabeta, you don't meet Playboy X, you never find out about Michelle.. Manny was a throw away character.. which is why they killed him off pretty quickly.. he seemed like filler
[/QUOTE]

Which is my point: everyone plays a role.

Manny's was to poke fun at Saint's Row. ;)

[quote name='TheRock88']Dont know if its been posted yet, but you can now rent Roman for a price!

http://cottonandsand.com/sandandcotton/?p=3014[/QUOTE]

pretty funny...

I think I finally fixed my online issues. I flashed one of my routers with dd-wrt firmware, which basically turns the router into a better router, but it now as the ability to relay the connection from one router wirelessly, to your 360/anything via ethernet. So its pretty much a $30 360 wirelss adapter. it works, took me while to figure it out, but it works. And I have been getting dropped less often now, but people still drop in the rooms so I still go back to single player, wish it would just look for another game instead. I used to just have the wifi get shared through my macbook and then to my 360. I still got dropped a few times, but I can get into games now with no lag. Its still definitely a GTA thing since cod4 plays perfectly, no drops at all on either connection.

If anyone is in the market for a 360 wireless adapter, maybe consider doing what I did, it saves a lot of money.

Back into the game, thanks Amazon. Man Brucie is awesome. It seems that when I play this game, it gets better with each hour. When I first put it in, I was like well this is cool, but it's not sucking me in with the first starting missions, but once some crazy stuff went down, now I find it hard not to think about the game when I am not playing it.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Which is my point: everyone plays a role.

Manny's was to poke fun at Saint's Row. ;)[/quote]

Really? I didnt make the connection. But i guess you are right, they did introduce me to more people.

[quote name='TheRock88']Dont know if its been posted yet, but you can now rent Roman for a price!

http://cottonandsand.com/sandandcotton/?p=3014[/quote]

hahaha nice.

so I just had to post that I finsished "waste not want knots". jesus christ that mission was hard. when I finally shook the cops I took a cab back I was so scared something would go wrong on the way back. I can't tell you how may ways I died in my many attempts at that mission. the fact that I never got hung up on anyone part of the mission is sort of an attestament of good game design. although mid mission checkpoints would have been nice.

[quote name='yukafls']You know, I bought the regular, and I regret not buying the SE. I went into GS, and they had one opened and I got to see it. It was pretty sweet.[/QUOTE]

I had the same debate a month before the game was out. I had no intention of getting the game until it hit $20 bucks or something. Then, for no good reason, I spent days and days reading about what GTA4 has to offer, the story, the graphics, the preview videos, etc. I was HOOKED!!! So I went to Amazon and saw the price difference. $30 bucks is a lot, but I figured it was a one time deal. I got the SE version for the PS3 and I can say that I'm pretty happy with it, even knowing that I could have spend that $30 elsewhere.

I haven't touched any of the stuff in the box, and I don't think I will. The outer box holding everything is SWEET (IMO)! I don't really listen to rap much, so that CD is still wrapped.

Hehe, that is how I am with wii games, I can wait for them to go down to like $20 or lower. How could you not play with that awesome crap, I will take the lock box if you do not want it.:D:lol:

[quote name='yukafls']Who is Manny making fun of in Saints row?[/quote]

Fake gangsters, which reeks in Saints Row.

Other than that, Saints Row was a good game. They just went over board on the gangster crap.

[quote name='help1']Fake gangsters, which reeks in Saints Row.

Other than that, Saints Row was a good game. They just went over board on the gangster crap.[/quote]

Yeah, I thought it was a good game, kinda pre GTA IV. The new one coming, looks really good. It kinda looks like a GTA San Andreas, but upgraded to look good. Check out the two videos at the bottom of the page in the link

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=71017

[quote name='yukafls']Yeah, I thought it was a good game, kinda pre GTA IV. The new one coming, looks really good. It kinda looks like a GTA San Andreas, but upgraded to look good. Check out the two videos at the bottom of the page in the link

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=71017[/quote]
Not to turn this into a Saint's Row 2 thread, but my only hope for the game is that they do away with the required non-story missions, that was my one major bitch about that game.

Anyway, I think it's gonna be hard to top or come close to GTA

I beat the game last night. Took just under 60 hours, and I did a lot of screwing around. Unlike the GTA III games, I don't really feel like I know the city after beating the game. With III, Vice City, and San Andreas, I had the cities memorized top to bottom by the time I finished. After 60 hours of playing, I still feel lost in GTA IV's Liberty City without the GPS. That getting to know the city is favorite part of this series, so I feel like there's a lot more fun to be had. I'm not saying the game is too short, and I certainly don't feel ripped off; it just seems like there's more to see. The perfect game for DLC, even without more islands.

I use the Cola phone theme. It suites me.

Finally got this and was surprised to find a one month live trial. The wording leads me to believe that it can't be tacked onto an existing gold subscription. Has anyone tried to add it on or is it a for new accounts only type of thing. Played the first few missions and I'm pretty stoked.

[quote name='CrimsonPaw']Not to turn this into a Saint's Row 2 thread, but my only hope for the game is that they do away with the required non-story missions, that was my one major bitch about that game.

Anyway, I think it's gonna be hard to top or come close to GTA[/quote]

Like what missions???

[quote name='yukafls']Like what missions???[/quote]

IIRC, the game forced you to complete side missions to build up a meter to unlock the main missions.

[quote name='yukafls']Like what missions???[/quote]

Like kill a pimp and steal the hookers. All those side missions that had to be done to gain respect to unlock new missions. I agree.

I liked saints row, in a way i think it looks better than GTA IV, and driving is more fun in that game. But GTA kills it with their characters, story, city. I will buy SR2 when it comes out.

As for GTA...just finished up killing all the pigeons on the 2nd island. I now have 144. ....only 56 more to go! I really wish you could turn the police off when getting pigeons.....as i dont want to have a death/arrested on my record. Getting the pigeon in the airport was fun. :bouncy:

[quote name='The 7th Number'] As for GTA...just finished up killing all the pigeons on the 2nd island. I now have 144. ....only 56 more to go! I really wish you could turn the police off when getting pigeons.....as i dont want to have a death/arrested on my record. Getting the pigeon in the airport was fun. :bouncy:[/QUOTE]I really haven't spent any time actively looking for the pigeons yet. I've only got 15 or so, and those are just ones I've spotted while on missions or whatnot. I think I'm still somewhere in the middle of the game, story-wise (haven't even unlocked the last island yet). You don't unlock anything as you go along with the pigeons, do you? I remember in Vice City when you got to a certain number of packages, different weapons would start appearing at your mansion, which was a nice free way to keep your ammo stocked. I'm guessing it doesn't work that way in GTA IV.

[quote name='jdawgg76']Finally got this and was surprised to find a one month live trial. The wording leads me to believe that it can't be tacked onto an existing gold subscription. Has anyone tried to add it on or is it a for new accounts only type of thing. Played the first few missions and I'm pretty stoked.[/quote]

I added it to my live subscription with no problem. ( I was on a yearly plan.)

I can't understand why the Rockstar Social Club STILL hasn't updated my profile as having 100% complete for GTAIV. I want my stupid little bracelet. >_

[quote name='The 7th Number']Like kill a pimp and steal the hookers. All those side missions that had to be done to gain respect to unlock new missions. I agree.

I liked saints row, in a way i think it looks better than GTA IV, and driving is more fun in that game. But GTA kills it with their characters, story, city. I will buy SR2 when it comes out.

As for GTA...just finished up killing all the pigeons on the 2nd island. I now have 144. ....only 56 more to go! I really wish you could turn the police off when getting pigeons.....as i dont want to have a death/arrested on my record. Getting the pigeon in the airport was fun. :bouncy:[/quote]

No, those you do to get bonus guns and stuff at your house. Taking over gang land helped you get missions.

[quote name='yukafls']No, those you do to get bonus guns and stuff at your house. Taking over gang land helped you get missions.[/quote]

I just remember there being a meter that you filled up by doing insurance fraud, etc.

Sigh, stuck at 199/200 Pigeons. I used strat guide for all of it except some of Broker where I just went on a map, I rechecked all the places with the strat guide, and nothing. Seems 100 % won't be happening, as I do not have the patience to go back and check all 200.

[quote name='Callandor']Anyone have a good suggestion for where to go to get the 10 melee counters? Maybe somewhere the cops won't rush to?[/QUOTE]

been wondering the same... maybe a bridge walkway?

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']been wondering the same... maybe a bridge walkway?[/quote]

someone suggested the heli-tour line earlier in the thread. try that?

I haven't even been looking for the pidgeons, but I'm not an achievement whore, so I'm the wrong person to consider. Maybe I'll go back after i finish the game.

Also it looks like they fixed the online issues, at least for me. I haven't gotten dropped once in the last day. Also, there is a lot less of other people dropping and causing everyone to exit the multiplayer, but it still happens once in a while. Also, i was having problems with "open nat", which everyone I complained too kept telling me to do. I didn't alter anything with my router or anything. But now its alll fine...

bread's done
Back