Grand Theft Auto IV - Gen. Discussion & Info

Seems like the graphics look really shitty in still form because of the filter R* is using. But in motion the game looks great...we'll have to see. Either way, with the amount of processing in the background to render the city and people and vehicles, i don't mind dumbed down graphics.

*EDIT: my conspiracy theory is that all of these screens that have been released have had a filter so that the real graphics aren't seen until the game releases...any takers? :D

[quote name='SynGamer']Seems like the graphics look really shitty in still form because of the filter R* is using. But in motion the game looks great...we'll have to see. Either way, with the amount of processing in the background to render the city and people and vehicles, i don't mind dumbed down graphics.

*EDIT: my conspiracy theory is that all of these screens that have been released have had a filter so that the real graphics aren't seen until the game releases...any takers? :D[/QUOTE]

Could be. They are showing us decent looking pics then when we actually play the game we will be blown away on how great and top notch the graphics do look :D

[quote name='shadylane']so i'm sure these questions have been answered but here it goes...

1) is gamestop still taking reserves for the limited edition? and is it going to be like the halo 3 where you can find it for dirt cheap three weeks later?

2) i know the 360 has downloadable content...will the ps3 have this in the future or is it just locked in a contract between rockstar and microsoft?

3) what does the ps3 have that the 360 doesn't? faster load speeds....better graphics?[/QUOTE]

1.) I think they will be until 1 week away from launch? Not sure if it will drop like the Halo 3 one. It possibly could since I assume these will be mass produced like most "Limited Edition" games.

2.) Downloadable content is 360 only. MS paid 25 million ( Am I Right? ) for each episode.

3.) From what I read they both will be identical. The PS3 has a mandatory HDD install while the 360 will have an optional HDD install. This will speed up load times and such.

Hope that helps :D

[quote name='pimpinc333']
2.) Downloadable content is 360 only. MS paid 25 million ( Am I Right? ) for each episode.

3.) From what I read they both will be identical. The PS3 has a mandatory HDD install while the 360 will have an optional HDD install. This will speed up load times and such.

Hope that helps :D[/QUOTE]

Actually, the PS3 can still get downloadable content, it's just that the 2 episodes will be exclusive.

also, I hear the PS3 graphics are warmer and more real to life while the 360's graphics are poppy and brighter. both slightly different but overall the same.

I can't find the video, but one of my friends told me he saw some GTAIV gameplay footage somewhere. Apparently, if you run through the streets shooting an AK-47, people will actually run away screaming "OH MY GOD! IT'S A TERRORIST!"

It may just be my sense of humor, but I found that to be absolutely hilarious.

I wasn't really worried about this game too much, but now the hype is getting to me. I really am looking forward to this game and it can't come out soon enough!

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']Actually, the PS3 can still get downloadable content, it's just that the 2 episodes will be exclusive.

also, I hear the PS3 graphics are warmer and more real to life while the 360's graphics are poppy and brighter. both slightly different but overall the same.[/QUOTE]

Hmm. At this point I have no idea which version to get.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Hmm. At this point I have no idea which version to get.[/QUOTE]

If you plan on getting back into GTA4 down the road or want the most out of it go 360. otherwise, if it's for control, go with PS3.

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']I can't find the video, but one of my friends told me he saw some GTAIV gameplay footage somewhere. Apparently, if you run through the streets shooting an AK-47, people will actually run away screaming "OH MY GOD! IT'S A TERRORIST!"

It may just be my sense of humor, but I found that to be absolutely hilarious.[/quote]

Well all the islands are locked off at the start of the game due to "terrorist threats".

1-up has done a IV overview.
http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3167410&p=37

A pretty good read. They had a chance to play through the whole thing. Looks like their going to give it high praise as well. BUT... some of the same issues show up that the series is known for. Disappearing cars, items showing up after you hit them, and a few dips in framerate when it get's "hectic". But I figured that would be back.

Less than 2 weeks left! :bouncy::bouncy:

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']If you plan on getting back into GTA4 down the road or want the most out of it go 360. otherwise, if it's for control, go with PS3.[/QUOTE]

I know. I've just been spoiled over the last couple of days by the extreme quiet of the PS3, plus the ease of recharging the controller (it's complicated).

Maybe it's because it's new...

Quietness of console was one of my deciding factors. But I generally prefer the 360 controller for 3rd person action.

However, I'll be renting the 360 version to try, and might end up purchasing that one further down the road depending on the experience.

Other radio stations confirmed from OPM UK (also gave a 10/10)

• WKTT - We Know The Truth (right wing talk radio)
  • San Juan Sounds (latin)
  • Integrity 2.0 (speech, hosted by Lazlow)
  • Liberty City Hardcore (punk/hardcore)
  • Liberty Rock Radio 97.8 (classic rock)
  • The Vibe 98.8 (soul/R'n'B)
  • PLR - Public Liberty Radio (call-in speech)
  • The Classics 104.1 (old-skool hip-hop)
  • Jazz Nation Radio 108.5 (jazz)
  • Vladivostok FM (eastern european)
  • Radio Broker (alt rock)
  • Tuff Gong Radio (reggae/dub)
  • Electro Choc (dance)
  • Massive B Soundsystem 96.9 (dance hall)
  • IF99 - International Funk (funk)
  • The Beat 102.7 (contemporary hip-hop)
  • K109 The Studio (disco)
  • Fusion FM
  • The Journey (ambient/chillout)
Hell yes to classic rock.
:applause:

[quote name='javeryh']Are there custom soundtracks for the 360 version?[/quote]

It's been hinted (but not confirmed) that the soundtracks MAY be setup similar to the "buy" mode in Saints Row. You would basically buy tracks in game for the phone via collected money, and have the ability to arrange tracks.

Like I said though, not confirmed.
But i'm going to assume that it's in, because it was HEAVILY brought up the past few weeks.

[quote name='CosmosTheMouse']Other radio stations confirmed from OPM UK (also gave a 10/10)
  • WKTT - We Know The Truth (right wing talk radio)
  • San Juan Sounds (latin)
  • Integrity 2.0 (speech, hosted by Lazlow)
  • Liberty City Hardcore (punk/hardcore)
  • Liberty Rock Radio 97.8 (classic rock)
  • The Vibe 98.8 (soul/R'n'B)
  • PLR - Public Liberty Radio (call-in speech)
  • The Classics 104.1 (old-skool hip-hop)
  • Jazz Nation Radio 108.5 (jazz)
  • Vladivostok FM (eastern european)
  • Radio Broker (alt rock)
  • Tuff Gong Radio (reggae/dub)
  • Electro Choc (dance)
  • Massive B Soundsystem 96.9 (dance hall)
  • IF99 - International Funk (funk)
  • The Beat 102.7 (contemporary hip-hop)
  • K109 The Studio (disco)
  • Fusion FM
  • The Journey (ambient/chillout)
Hell yes to classic rock.
:applause:[/quote]

If the artists/music involved are as good as those on San Andreas, I will be very happy.

They nixed the phone's ability to play music a-la an iPod, did they not?

[quote name='CosmosTheMouse']It's been hinted (but not confirmed) that the soundtracks MAY be setup similar to the "buy" mode in Saints Row. You would basically buy tracks in game for the phone via collected money, and have the ability to arrange tracks.

Like I said though, not confirmed.
But i'm going to assume that it's in, because it was HEAVILY brought up the past few weeks.[/quote]

You can always turn on your own music through the blade, but I've not seen any confirmation that custom soundtracks will be built into the game.

I've seen some people absolutely asserting that it has been confirmed that there will be no custom soundtracks (built-in) but I've yet to see where that's been established.

I think it would be rather disappointing to exclude the option. I've got quite a lot of music that I'm keen to use in IV.

Higher quality of the Ireland commercial that was out the other day.....

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AF95c1QPIT8&eurl=http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=327270[/media]

[quote name='javeryh']Are there custom soundtracks for the 360 version?[/quote]

I don't see why not...I mean, you could always have custom soundtracks on any game, but if you mean some sort of in-game custom soundtrack customization like Saint's Row...well we have yet to hear from that.

Can't wait for this game!!!!!! 13days ><

I will be listening to:
Liberty Rock Radio 97.8 (classic rock)
&
Electro Choc (dance)

The pictures posted yesterday just got me more excited. There were a few comments yesterday about the trees/wheels.. seriously when you got explosions like this it really doesn't matter.

[quote name='naiku']Can't wait for this game!!!!!! 13days ><

I will be listening to:
Liberty Rock Radio 97.8 (classic rock)
&
Electro Choc (dance)

The pictures posted yesterday just got me more excited. There were a few comments yesterday about the trees/wheels.. seriously when you got explosions like this it really doesn't matter.[/quote]

My concern isn't solely about the tires. It's the fact they are putting so much detail into this game, yet they made a simple oversight, which honestly, shouldn't have slipped through vehicle design. Yet it did. How many more of these "simple oversights" are there that will eventually surface after launch? That's what I'm concerned about.

[quote name='sp00ge']My concern isn't solely about the tires. It's the fact they are putting so much detail into this game, yet they made a simple oversight, which honestly, shouldn't have slipped through vehicle design. Yet it did. How many more of these "simple oversights" are there that will eventually surface after launch? That's what I'm concerned about.[/quote]

I hear you, but from my perspective this is a great looking game even with some fuzzy elements. I'll most likely not notice in the grand scheme, particularly when compared against previous GTA's.

And this is pure speculation, but it is entirely possible that the art team has been constantly replacing textures, and that they have a priority list from high to low. They might not get through the entire list, but it is still possible that a given texture from a given screen won't be the final version.

Either way, I'm retarded with anticipation.

[quote name='sp00ge']My concern isn't solely about the tires. It's the fact they are putting so much detail into this game, yet they made a simple oversight, which honestly, shouldn't have slipped through vehicle design. Yet it did. How many more of these "simple oversights" are there that will eventually surface after launch? That's what I'm concerned about.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you. This is something they should have caught but I don't blame them to messing this up. I did the same thing with my own car. I put my Low Profile tires on the wrong way and the tire guy at my work then noticed and let me know. :whistle2:#

These Ad's should be in the USA as well, that other ad over here kinda sucks, the one with the actor and he's running after the plane.......

After seeing the OXM screen shots i hope the targeting is similar to James bond: Everything or Nothing and/or The Godfather, because those targeting systems kicked ass.

The graphics look surreal and the detailed movement of the NPCs is awesome. Lets hope it will look like this when we pop it in our consoles as well.

[quote name='javeryh']Are there custom soundtracks for the 360 version?[/QUOTE]

If you mean your own music, yeah, it works with any game.

[quote name='sp00ge']Not to nitpick, but I fear they cheaped out on the wheel/tire designs. Check the first pic. The tires on that SUV are directional, but the driver side tire tread is going the wrong way.

I hope this is a level of realism (the tire shop guy mounted the tire wrong on that particular vehicle) and not a blatant oversight.

I used to be a tire monkey, so I subconsciously check for things like that.

UPDATE: It's a definite oversight, because the tires on the car in pic #3 are facing the wrong way, as well.[/quote]

If this was a racing game...ok but seriously? Its GTA

I agree, I thought that ad was sick. I was just thinking G4's Attack of the Show could do a spoof on this as someone walks on a treadmill and they have a blue screen behind them showing off something lol. That video rocked and I love the ending.

All these trailers+info are making me crazy! I can't wait...although I probably won't get it until a week+ after release.

[quote name='slickkill77']If this was a racing game...ok but seriously? Its GTA[/quote]

Read my second post, in reply to someone else's comment on my post.

[quote name='sp00ge']My concern isn't solely about the tires. It's the fact they are putting so much detail into this game, yet they made a simple oversight, which honestly, shouldn't have slipped through vehicle design. Yet it did. How many more of these "simple oversights" are there that will eventually surface after launch? That's what I'm concerned about.[/quote]

Woah, I just read this on another preview....

In addition to these, your character can go to the theatre or sit down and watch television: there's two hours' worth in the game - all designed on the premise: "If you came to America as an immigrant, turned the telly on, what would you see? You'd see complete crap. People talking about money. People talking about selling you weapons. People talking about how rich they are. People playing cards on television."

2 hours of TV alone? wtf that's insane by itself!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/connected/main.jhtml?xml=/connected/hubpages/2008/gta/dlgtamain1.xml

[quote name='Spybreak8']I agree, I thought that ad was sick. I was just thinking G4's Attack of the Show could do a spoof on this as someone walks on a treadmill and they have a blue screen behind them showing off something lol. That video rocked and I love the ending.[/quote]

Your idea made me think of the new Nick Cave video:

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kV5XkBQsKU[/MEDIA]

100% no pun intended, but anyone see the irony here?

gta4_launch_center_medrec.jpg

from ign.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']100% no pun intended, but anyone see the irony here?

gta4_launch_center_medrec.jpg

from ign.[/quote]
I guess only way to get lazy gamers off their asses to see your movie is by advertising in the game that's getting them glued down on their lazy asses...

[quote name='zewone']Grand Theft Auto.

Cars are a major part of the entire series.[/quote]
If you are going to down that path then they should also have licensed "Auto"s
:D

bread's done
Back