Grand Theft Auto IV - Gen. Discussion & Info

DANG IT, I want this game! But with school ending soon, and then home for the summer where I can't play (parental units=no GTA), I'm gonna have to wait until school starts again to pick it up so I have time to enjoy it. Oh cruel irony; my summer must end for me to play this game!

[quote name='IOWABERG']Hey guys...sorry if this has been asked before. Will I have a problem picking this up sometime in the next couple of days at my localBest Buy, GameStop, or Target, etc?[/quote]

@ my bestbuy their were HUNDREDS out on the floor and the cs rep said they had a crapload more in the back so i would guess yes

[quote name='hec204']It comes with a free month of xbox live? Under what circumstances?[/quote]

its just in the case, its like a gta promo to play online... like a 48 hr trial card code but its a month

[quote name='LinkinPrime']What kind of giveaways does Best Buy have? I saw a line at the store 5 min away from me...might stop by at midnight.[/quote]

none... only if u preordered it came with a game sized carton box with a code for gamerpics and a small poster...

anyone know how to play online?? game just starts with no options

[quote name='eminemobied12']none... only if u preordered it came with a game sized carton box with a code for gamerpics and a small poster...[/quote]

Wha? That's not what the site says:
So, Best Buy is opening dozens of stores at midnight on April 29 so you can buy this must-have title as soon as it releases. And get there early, because we'll have Grand Theft Auto-related giveaways, but quantities will be limited.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site//olspage.jsp?id=pcmcat150400050036&type=category

Nearly had a fucking heart attack earlier when I got home with my game, went to play.. and the Xbox sat on the dashboard "reading" the disc for 2 minutes and doing nothing. Tried again, same thing. One more time, start it does.

Man, that can't be a good sign, but I hope it holds up for now.

[quote name='eminemobied12']anyone know how to play online?? game just starts with no options[/quote]

It's an option on your cellphone.

Arrived 12:30ish at Gamestop...no crowds. Got my game as well as Crackdown using that weekly special coupon they send out on Fridays.

Sucks that I can't play it til this weekend. I'm still in the process of moving to my new apartment and the 360 is all boxed up.

The Best Buy I went to I was able to walk away with a t-shirt (they had one in black and white), some stickers and the guy behind me got a liberty city statue. Sadly, because I got a shirt no poster like other people got.

[quote name='bardockkun']The Best Buy I went to I was able to walk away with a t-shirt (they had one in black and white), some stickers and the guy behind me got a liberty city statue. Sadly, because I got a shirt no poster like other people got.[/quote]

That sounds nice. Hopefully they'll still have swag when I leave in 5min.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']That sounds nice. Hopefully they'll still have swag when I leave in 5min.[/quote]
T-Shirt though is in 2XL...so just a side note.

I just played Bankshot Billards 2 and hopefully for the last time if the pool game in GTA4 is good. BSB2 sucks. I am not going to fall asleep tonight lol.

Just got back from Best Buy...they were passing out GTAIV stickers...they had some huge ones that I missed but I got a few stickers: GTAIV title, a few of the main character and the Rockstar Logo. Also some guy drove up with a truck and passed out Speed Racer T-shirts and Hats...I didn't get a hat but I got a T-Shirt...and they were my size, medium...sweet!

Sweet! My local blockbuster let me rent the game at midnight. Now I can satiate my curiosity without plunking down top dollar. I'm starving now, but after food, I play. Hopefully it'll overcome whatever bad memories I have of the franchise.

[quote name='hec204']It comes with a free month of xbox live? Under what circumstances?[/QUOTE]

Just open the game's case and there it is. I did hear some guy complain that it was absent in his copy, but they're all supposed to include the codes.

Damn best buy. They still haven't mailed me my rewards certificate. I had to cancel my ps3 version order and they said they would re-mail me a new certificate since they can only be used once. I was hoping it would come today, but no. Like they new I wanted to buy GTA and said "Lets Shaq-Fu with him a bit." Arghh, hopefully it comes tomorrow so I can buy it. But I guess its worth it to wait an extra day or 2 to get the $20 off from BB. But I still hate them...!

Do the month codes tack on to your current subscription?

Also for anyone that got the Special Edition, did you get a mini chainsaw? I didn't get one but I saw the Kotaku pics and they showed a mini chainsaw...just wondering.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Also for anyone that got the Special Edition, did you get a mini chainsaw? I didn't get one but I saw the Kotaku pics and they showed a mini chainsaw...just wondering.[/quote]

..that's the RE4 chainsaw controller. He put that in the picture to show how big the duffel bag is.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Do the month codes tack on to your current subscription?

Also for anyone that got the Special Edition, did you get a mini chainsaw? I didn't get one but I saw the Kotaku pics and they showed a mini chainsaw...just wondering.[/QUOTE]

My friend just got back from BB a few minutes ago and he didn't get a chainsaw. He already opened it when I saw the SE so maybe he did. I was thinking of going to the midnight thing, but since BB f*cked up my order and I couldn't order it I refused to go, but now I regret it. My friend just busts in with two t-shirts and a wad of stickers and crap.

But, would they have given me anything if I wasn't picking the game up?

@scorch

if i remember correctly that chainsaw looked very small in comparison to that duffel bag. Is the bag actually that big?

[quote name='Scorch']..that's the RE4 chainsaw controller. He put that in the picture to show how big the duffel bag is.[/quote]

Whoa boy...I feel dumb.

Thanks for clearing that up Scorch! How did the GC launch go for you....did you have to work it?

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Thanks for clearing that up Scorch! How did the GC launch go for you....did you have to work it?[/quote]

Actually, no.. they gave me it off after working Halo, Smash Bros and Mario Kart.

The duffel bag is folded pretty compact, but it is indeed quite large.. my 60gb PS3 can fit inside it with a few inches to spare at both ends.

So, I went to Wal-Mart for my game, as I figured there would be no line and was right. While waiting in line, I take notice of a mildly-attractive girl directly in front. She reciprocates the glance. So, for about the next twenty minutes, she keeps tossing glances towards me, and I think to myself, "Okay, would I rather play Grand Theft Auto 4 as soon as possible or possibly get some sexy action tonight?"

I alternated thoughtful poses for a bit, then realized, "Eh, she's not really my type," and here I sit, about to dive into the game. Best part of the night? In what I believe to be purposely, she takes a step back, and drives her derrière into my thigh. I wanted to boast, "Ha ha, you missed! The needle on my compass is pointing west, not east," but just gave a kind grin, as she excused herself with smirk.

She tried to start a conversation, but I decidedly gave short answers, which seemed to piss her off, as she walked out of the line in a huff. Eep! :hot:

Glad to see CAGs are coming back with their copies, I'll be online with mine in around 10 hours. Shit, I haven't woken up before noon in a LONG while, and I'll celebrate this milestone with GTA4 and a breakfast burrito.

I know I'm pestering, but are any CAGs willing to part with their Rockstar keychain? Only the keyring + Rockstar logo, not the safety deposit keys themselves. I'll offer some PayPal if needed.

she was just trying to hustle you into buying her gta for her bf.

[quote name='chasemurata']So, I went to Wal-Mart for my game, as I figured there would be no line and was right. While waiting in line, I take notice of a mildly-attractive girl directly in front. She reciprocates the glance. So, for about the next twenty minutes, she keeps tossing glances towards me, and I think to myself, "Okay, would I rather play Grand Theft Auto 4 as soon as possible or possibly get some sexy action tonight?"

I alternated thoughtful poses for a bit, then realized, "Eh, she's not really my type," and here I sit, about to dive into the game. Best part of the night? In what I believe to be purposely, she takes a step back, and drives her derrière into my thigh. I wanted to boast, "Ha ha, you missed! The needle on my compass is pointing west, not east," but just gave a kind grin, as she excused herself with smirk.

She tried to start a conversation, but I decidedly gave short answers, which seemed to piss her off, as she walked out of the line in a huff. Eep! :hot:[/QUOTE]

So I got the 360 version instead of the PS3 version...dunno why but I did. I can't stand those pop-ins, they are so annoying!

Ok, I picked the game up at midnight.. its 3:55 am now so I've got some decent playtime with the 360 version. I had contemplated on picking it up for ps3 since it was "slightly techically superior" on ps3 (lol,K) but am overall glad i went ahead and got it on 360.... my main concern over the graphical advantage on ps3 was the draw distance... i have yet to see any pop up/draw problems at all on the 360 version although im sure ive only scratched the surface.. maybe ill see it later in the game but the draw distance i saw was long as fuck.. u can see buildings from several miles away.. another reason i got the 360 was of course online.. which i havent even tried yet so more impressions on that later i guess...

As far as single player though the game has definately lived up to any hype its ever got imo :D

[quote name='chasemurata']So, I went to Wal-Mart for my game, as I figured there would be no line and was right. While waiting in line, I take notice of a mildly-attractive girl directly in front. She reciprocates the glance. So, for about the next twenty minutes, she keeps tossing glances towards me, and I think to myself, "Okay, would I rather play Grand Theft Auto 4 as soon as possible or possibly get some sexy action tonight?"

She tried to start a conversation, but I decidedly gave short answers, which seemed to piss her off, as she walked out of the line in a huff. Eep! :hot:[/quote]

So you passed up some potential ass for GTA4? Your a way bigger gamer than I am.

Pretty fun so far. Couple things though:

I don't like the way the camera re-shifts every time you turn around. Also, what's up with the camera angle when you're trying to back up your car? It's impossible to see if you're going to hit anything.

Also, I only played 1 multi-player game, but it didn't seem all that organized, and it seemed really chaotic.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Pretty fun so far. Couple things though:

I don't like the way the camera re-shifts every time you turn around. Also, what's up with the camera angle when you're trying to back up your car? It's impossible to see if you're going to hit anything.

Also, I only played 1 multi-player game, but it didn't seem all that organized, and it seemed really chaotic.[/quote]

I would expect the multiplayer to be chaotic since it did just come out and everyone is just playing it for the first time.

I don't think I'm gonna play the multiplayer for a while, at least until I get a lot of playtime with the single player. I hope everyone doesn't just jump into the multiplayer and forget about the single player.

i hate school, i wish i could skip and play >.<

several CAG's that i play(ed) with on CoD4, they said that they were calling off work for today :hot:

my mom won't let me skip school :(

Woke up early and couldn't go back to sleep so I went to Walmart on the way in to work. After some difficulty with the replacement woman working the electronics register not knowing where they were, I got my copy. Now to sit at work for the next 9 hours thinking about playing.

Ran into a friend on the way out who was buying other stuff and convinced him to go back inside and buy it "since he was already here."

Stopped at a Walmart on my way home from work and got my copy. They didn't have the games out or in the glass cases, so the kid who was just powering up the registers in the electronics department said he'd get one from the back. Ten minutes later, I'm still waiting. A friend from work had come along with me, so I said to her "I don't think I've seen another employee since that kid left." and she says "I haven't seen another person- no employees, no customers, nothing." Weird. Biggest store I've ever seen, and it was just utterly, completely deserted, like one of those "end of the world" movies.

Anyway, I need to sleep for a few hours now, but then I'm off for the rest of the week, so my 360 will be getting a serious GTA workout.

Well I was convinced yesterday and ordered it with my estarland credit. So assuming they ship it today I should have it by the end of the week. I think Mario Kart will come today or tomorrow so I'm gonna be pretty busy...

Apr. 27th, 2008 - Via UPS
  • Mail Retrieved From Shipper
  • Received at UPS Mail Innovations Origin RPF, Groveport, OH
Apr. 28th, 2008 - Via UPS/USPS
  • Processed at UPS Mail Innovations Origin RPF, Groveport, OH
  • Manifested (Postage Paid)
  • Processed, April 28, 2008, 11:52 pm, WARRENDALE, PA 15095
Apr. 29th, 2008 - Via USPS
  • Should be on it's way to Potsdam, NY 13676
Hopefully i'll have it tomorrow.

[quote name='Spybreak8']I just played Bankshot Billards 2 and hopefully for the last time if the pool game in GTA4 is good. BSB2 sucks. I am not going to fall asleep tonight lol.[/quote]

Is there a list or can anyone confirm the mini-games included in GTAIV? And if you have played them, impressions?

I'm going to pick up my copy today at lunch. It will be a long wait until 9pm tonight when I can finally play it. Even if I get home early from work I still have to wait until the kids are sleeping - I have a feeling I'm going to be up pretty late tonight...

[quote name='javeryh']I'm going to pick up my copy today at lunch. It will be a long wait until 9pm tonight when I can finally play it. Even if I get home early from work I still have to wait until the kids are sleeping - I have a feeling I'm going to be up pretty late tonight...[/QUOTE]

We are in the same boat...

I am heading over to BB when it opens at 10, but I have to be to work at 10:45, so hopefully it's not too crazy.

Luckily I get out of work at 3, but I am going to the Red Sox game tonight.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Just got back from Best Buy...they were passing out GTAIV stickers...they had some huge ones that I missed but I got a few stickers: GTAIV title, a few of the main character and the Rockstar Logo. Also some guy drove up with a truck and passed out Speed Racer T-shirts and Hats...I didn't get a hat but I got a T-Shirt...and they were my size, medium...sweet![/quote]

The BB i went to gave out the same stuff, got the stickers and the Speed racer Shirt+Hat. They had about 50 or some people at around 10:50pm. The Target next door had a lot more people on that line compare to the best buy one, which was a surprise to me. It was quick as well, I was home 20 minutes after they opened the door.

I only played for 3 hours thus far and am enjoying it. I only have a few complaint basically what A happy panda said about camera issues. I've seen few pop ups, mostly small things likes trees and other objects on the side on the roads. Also how the vehicles controls, it's feels too bouncy and it's hard to control at times.

Im loving the game. Been playing all night long. But my only problem is that most of the sites that reviewed it said you can do everything you can do in Single Player in Multi Player. Well I went into free roam and it doesnt show any places for Pool or anything. Do you just have to remember where these places are or what?

bread's done
Back