GTA Chinatown Wars

One of the few times that I regret getting my son to play his DS. I was going to pick this up then realized that I would never be able to get it out of his claws ... maybe it's time to pick up a 2nd DS (for my 2 year old) :D

Got it last night (this morning) at the Nintendo World Store in Rockefeller Center release party. There wasnt much of a line, (first 25 people were entered in some raffle) but most other people in the line got some shwag for buying the game.
Stickers (same as Gamestop), Mini-posters, mini-rockstar chopsticks, a t-shirt and best of all GTA3 3 pack of Kubricks

Check it out (crappy fast photo):

Yeah I'm pretty happy. I'll have to see if those "chopsticks" are styli. Good thought that I did not even bother to consider!

[quote name='shlby']Playing this game reminded me of playing the first GTA game during my middle school days. oh the memories!

oh, rockstar lets you download the first game for free as well, if you want to try it out.

http://www.rockstargames.com/classics/gta.html[/quote]

Excellent! I was a hardcore GTA 1 fan. Nothing better than running over the line of guys in orange (been so long I forget what they are). I didn't get into London or 2 so much but remember modding the cars in the first one. I ended up trading out my copy on Goozex because it ran ridiculously fast on my PC last time I popped it in.

Picked it up and its pretty good so far. Kinda impressed considering what that had to work with. I still can't make up my mind if they should have made it like GTA 1 and 2 with the top-down view. But so far the only complaint I have is the camera can be a little rough around some of the buildings but that's not really a big deal. Can't say I'm surprised though, Rockstar always seems to deliver. The story is kind of interesting so far.

That being said, I hope this is the last time we are in Liberty City on any platform. :lol:

[quote name='QiG']Excellent! I was a hardcore GTA 1 fan. Nothing better than running over the line of guys in orange (been so long I forget what they are).[/QUOTE]

Was it the Hare Krishnas I think? But yeah, GTA originals were classics.

Just linked my game with the Rockstar Social...here's my friend code:

Haven't messed much with the online stuff yet but I'm looking forward to the multiplayer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea I bought this last night, reviews look good across the board, from Amazon using my trade in credit with giving them Kirby Squeak Squad. Just got the email and that will save me 12 bucks off lol.^^ Gamesradar gave it a 10 and all the comments are like 10!, 10!?>< whine whine haha.

Played the lottery tickets for a good 30 minutes last night. Walked in the store with $4300, and walked out with a new house and $5500.

This game is pretty awesome.

My only complaint is my hand cramps up after a little bit of playing.

Edit: Upon playing more, I have to admit I am REALLY impressed with this game. It has put the fun back into the GTA series. The drug dealing takes me back to my TI-83 days of Drug Wars. The missions are fun and the cars handle great. If you own a DS and even remotely like GTA style games, this is a no brainer at full price.

I really love how much fun stuff there is to do in this GTA. It does a great job using the touch screen and button support combo, and much of the touch screen mini games they have you do can be pretty creative.

I must say, this game is quite impressive as there is always something fun to do in this game.

The graphics are a hit & miss depending upon the person, but for someone who loved playing the very first GTA, this game will remind you of those simpler times.

Damn, there are wayyy too many cops driving around. It feels like 80% of the time when I jack a car, someone is around to see it. And it's really tough to drive around and not accidentally scrape a cop car. Especially annoying when they bust me holding 10K worth of "pharmaceuticals."

You shouldn't ever be even close to getting busted through scraping a cop car or stealing a car. Those are 1-star wanted levels. Hell, even a drug bust is easy to evade.

[quote name='pete5883']Damn, there are wayyy too many cops driving around. It feels like 80% of the time when I jack a car, someone is around to see it. And it's really tough to drive around and not accidentally scrape a cop car. Especially annoying when they bust me holding 10K worth of "pharmaceuticals."[/QUOTE]

I agree 100%. Evading the one star level is easy, but it is still a pain in the ass when you are attempting to buy or sell drugs as they spook the dealers.

My friend code is 116155256135 please add me, Ill be on from time to time to play some multiplayer. Also I would like to add that I agree with the cop statement, there are waaay too many cops in this game, You would drive down one road and have 2 on the sidewalk and 1 in a car, when you accidentally bump into a car, you are screwed.

[quote name='Rocko']You shouldn't ever be even close to getting busted through scraping a cop car or stealing a car. Those are 1-star wanted levels. Hell, even a drug bust is easy to evade.[/QUOTE]
I was driving on a bridge. After scraping him, the cop sandwiched me into the wall, then nabbed me. I just lost $5,000 in coke again today. I've gotta start reloading my saves :bomb:

[quote name='SL4IN']Played the lottery tickets for a good 30 minutes last night. Walked in the store with $4300, and walked out with a new house and $5500.[/quote]

The fucking lottery tickets! How can something so simple be so addictive! That's a game all in itself.

[quote name='Law_Professor']The fucking lottery tickets! How can something so simple be so addictive! That's a game all in itself.[/QUOTE]

I bought some but I don't know how to use them. How do I use them?

[quote name='soccerstud652']I bought some but I don't know how to use them. How do I use them?[/QUOTE]
You scratch them off immediately as you buy them. If you win, you get the money immediately. I gave up after 10 minutes and winning a house.

The lottery tickets are like crack. Ubisoft needs to be working on a "My Lottery Ticketz" game RIGHT NOW.

Tootybear, I'll add you. We should get a few of us together one night and check out the multiplayer stuff.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I don't think there's any online multiplayer. I think you might be able to send messages or trade drugs, but thats it.

[quote name='pete5883']Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I don't think there's any online multiplayer. I think you might be able to send messages or trade drugs, but thats it.[/quote]

That's weak. :cry:

Goddammit, a cop drove into me while I was fighting fires, and as a result I got busted and lost the mission :bomb:

Rocko, do you have your FC? I want more stats to compare with.

I bought this game on Sunday and I absolutely love this game! Easily my favorite game on DS so far, the game is so good if I didn't already own a DS, I'd buy one just for this game (I'm a huge GTA fan though). I signed up on the social club website, so here's my friend code: 343789379018

So once people add you as friends, can you then play them online? I read something about trading things with friends online, but nothing about playing multiplayer games (I assumed the multiplayer games was just for multicart DS play). Does anyone know?

Yea there was a post online about the online multiplayer sham. Here is a link. BOOM . Anyways the mix up was very sad, but yes multiplayer coop is only available in wireless local.

(Heres another link in case the other one doesnt work same site different entry point to web page BANG )

[quote name='bmachine']The lottery tickets are like crack. Ubisoft needs to be working on a "My Lottery Ticketz" game RIGHT NOW.

Tootybear, I'll add you. We should get a few of us together one night and check out the multiplayer stuff.[/quote]

Added you today.

Thanks for the article. That sux there's no online multiplayer, but oh well. For the size and scope of what they did with the single player game it's understandable.

[quote name='bmachine']The lottery tickets are like crack. Ubisoft needs to be working on a "My Lottery Ticketz" game RIGHT NOW.[/quote]

LMAO! I agree.

Aside, I'm having way too much fun with this game.

[quote name='bmachine']Have you uploaded your stats lately, Pete? When I looked last night you didn't have any info available.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I update pretty frequently. You probably have to look on the site. In-game, I don't see any stats for you, either.

[quote name='pete5883']Yeah, I update pretty frequently. You probably have to look on the site. In-game, I don't see any stats for you, either.[/quote]

Dude...I can't believe that you've won $4500 from scratch cards!

Just for the record: there is no wi-fi multiplayer. Check this out, from gameunition.com:

There appears to be some confusion over what multiplayer options will be included in Chinatown Wars! The DS game will feature support for Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection, but the connectivity does not expand to multiplayer.

Instead, multiplayer is limited to local system play. A flyer from New York Comic Con shows the game will include competitive and cooperative modes -- although no other details were revealed. While Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection won't be used for multiplayer, it will allow players to communicate and interact with their friends. For example, you'll be able to share favorite locations, chat live through in-game instant messaging, and trade in-game items. Stats can also be uploaded to Rockstar's Social Club site. Through the Social Club, Rockstar is promising "special contests, events, and promotions," although what those will entail is still unclear at this moment.
Tootybear posted a link to that above but I thought the text was worth quoting in full.

Can you guys add me? FC: 511292627814

I want to build up a roster of folks I can trade with. And so far, only one of my friends has this game.

If I'm not mistaken, it seems like you can only trade and send e-mails to each other when you are online at the same time. Same thing with viewing the stats. It sucks monkey balls, I know.

Does anyone know where the Liberty City Gun Club is in this game? It was mentioned as being "near the airport" and that I had some new guns to try out there, but I can't freakin' find it and it doesn't show up on my GPS.

[quote name='aknowlesjr']Please add my FC 275069107974.[/quote]

[quote name='CaptNink']Can you guys add me? FC: 511292627814[/quote]

Added you both. Here's my FC again: 266479142798

Man its still syncing my friend code and its been like 20 minutes?!
I ordered mine off Amazon and used trade in credit to get a deal. I just noticed I got a preorder code with mine, sweet Bulletproof Sports Car, chaching!
Mine is 056026875989 but just got the game so don't have any items yet.^^

I can't get my game to sync up with the social club. I've tried multiple times and after I put in my friend code on my pc and then hit sync stats with my DS, I get a confirmation on my DS but my PC just continues to give me the twirling arrow symbol? I want my free car! lol

[quote name='bmachine']Does anyone know where the Liberty City Gun Club is in this game? It was mentioned as being "near the airport" and that I had some new guns to try out there, but I can't freakin' find it and it doesn't show up on my GPS.[/QUOTE]
There's a pay n' spray near the airport, it's on the block south of that.

bread's done
Back