GTA Chinatown Wars

Seeing this is 20 dollars this week at BB (and at least Sears with PM) how many total hours of play is there? Also is there any replay value or does the game keep going once you beat it?

I completed the story in 15 hrs, including doing side distractions, and at 18 hours, I've done 82.86% of what there is to do. After you beat the game you can continue, and there are some post-game missions if you hook up with the Rockstar Social Club.

Yea it took me 14 hrs but I mainly wanted to find out what was going on with the story and did many side missions, rampages, odd jobs, jumps and such. I think its worth 20 bucks def. Found both statues and am on Social Club right now!

I'm really enjoying this game. There is tons of shit to do. I've been cruising around looking for ramps, cameras, side missions and dealing drugs when I'm not in the mood for advancing the story. I'd like some more street-racing type missions. The cars handle well and the overhead view makes me nostalgiac for arcade games like SPRINT and off-road.

Seriously how do you take out the cameras, I tried to lock on to them but you can't. They're a stat on the social club so I know you can destroy em. The social club shows you which rampages you found, man that is pretty cool.

[quote name='Spybreak8']Seriously how do you take out the cameras, I tried to lock on to them but you can't. They're a stat on the social club so I know you can destroy em. The social club shows you which rampages you found, man that is pretty cool.[/QUOTE]
A tutorial somewhere tells you you have to throw a grenade or molotov cocktail to blow it up.

I've only used molotovs and only found like 10 of 100 fucking cameras. I don't think you can even use guns. The grenades seemed pretty dicey since they bounce back at you if the camera is up on a roof etc. Maybe I'm not using the grenades correctly.

Anybody have the best strategy for hijacking ammo trucks? I usually end up going too far blowing it up with a molotov.

Molotovs are definitely the best way to take out the cameras. If you touch and drag the "toss arc" far enough it will end on the roof next to the camera. Release and boom.

For the ammo trucks I usually just pull along side of them and pepper 'em with some bullets. Eventually, the driver will get out and try to shoot you. Stay in your car...the driver's weapons are typically very powerful. Kill him with drive-by fire from the relative safety of your vehicle (or run him over), pick up his weapon, and then drive off with his wheels.

I also find that it's easy to bump the ammo trucks/drug vans into a fenced-off area (someone's front yard, a parking lot, etc.). Once you get them corralled they're usually easy to fire a few shots into. Lather, rinse, repeat as above.

Thanks bmachine. I stumbled across a street racing side game at the Westminster pay and spray, in case anybody else is looking for a few racing challenges.

I only played until I won the first 1-lap race but it looks pretty cool.

[quote name='bmachine']Molotovs are definitely the best way to take out the cameras. If you touch and drag the "toss arc" far enough it will end on the roof next to the camera. Release and boom.

For the ammo trucks I usually just pull along side of them and pepper 'em with some bullets. Eventually, the driver will get out and try to shoot you. Stay in your car...the driver's weapons are typically very powerful. Kill him with drive-by fire from the relative safety of your vehicle (or run him over), pick up his weapon, and then drive off with his wheels.

I also find that it's easy to bump the ammo trucks/drug vans into a fenced-off area (someone's front yard, a parking lot, etc.). Once you get them corralled they're usually easy to fire a few shots into. Lather, rinse, repeat as above.[/quote

Thanks for the tip on both things. Love this game!

Just picked this up on sale at best buy, thanks CAG for posting that. I just finished TLAD and was itching for some more GTA, this will do nicely. I am loving this game!

Looks like there's an limited-time unlockable coming on Social Club, the Bulletproof Hellenbach. I may have to get the game now or risk missing out on DLC. Is this the first limited-time DLC available, or have I already missed some stuff?

Here are the details for those who aren't on the RSG mailing list:

hellenbach.jpg

Starting this Friday, May 1st 2009, Rockstar Games Social Club
members with linked copies of Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars
can exclusively attain the rare and coveted "Bulletproof Hellenbach"
vehicle. Fast pickup and armor impervious to firearms make this
the Triad vehicle of choice. Don't miss your chance, as this
in-game content is only available for unlocking via the
Social Club and only for a limited time.

To unlock the Bulletproof Hellenbach in your game:

(1) Become a registered Social Club member before 11:59 PM ET
on May 8th 2009 (Thursday).

(2) Link your Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars Nintendo DS
Friend Code to your Social Club account before 11:59 PM ET
on May 8th 2009 (Thursday).

(3) Sync your stats anytime after 12:01 AM ET on May 1st 2009 (Friday).
Make sure that your Friend Code is linked.

The car will then be available at the Auto Merchant in BOABO.
It will be the last car on the dealer's list but you can skip to it
directly by hitting left on the d-pad. (Note that the Auto Merchant
opens for business in one of the early missions,
"The Wheelman.")

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea I read the newsletter and that is the coolest thing Rockstar can do on my birthday lol. I printed out the Sabre GT, trying to put that thing together. I want a printable paper NRG900, that would be hot.

[quote name='johnnypark']Only a few missions in and I'm already impressed with out much GTA-ness they've crammed into a DS game. Completely worth $20, buy it![/QUOTE]

Same here, best $20 spent on a game in a long time! And thanks for posting the email bmachine.

Darn looks like the exclusive Bulletproof Hellenbach, is only if you haven't already synced your game to social club. Oh well I got a Bulletproof Inferno from picking it up from amazon around day one already anyways.

Thanks for the info, bmachine.

I couldn't find my DS for about a week so I haven't been playing. I just signed up for the Social Club. Now I just need to link my friend code and I'll be all set with the Bulletproof Hellenbach.

You have to go to the BOABO auto dealer. It's on the west side of the east island, by the second bridge over the sea counting from the south.

[quote name='eugaet']Looks like there's an limited-time unlockable coming on Social Club, the Bulletproof Hellenbach. I may have to get the game now or risk missing out on DLC. Is this the first limited-time DLC available, or have I already missed some stuff?[/quote]

Damn, is this thing still available? I haven't been playing much CTW lately and I haven't synched up my stats.

*EDIT* - NVM; I just re-read the announcement on the Social Club. Sounds like it's available until the 8th.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Multicron']You have to go to the BOABO auto dealer. It's on the west side of the east island, by the second bridge over the sea counting from the south.[/quote]

I know, is there another auto dealer? I'm pretty sure there is only one and no its not there.

Check this out. Totally offensive, but cool nonetheless:

http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/news/index.html

The newly opened webgame, Mr Wong's Laundromat, will allow Social Club members to earn and transfer cash/multiplayer skins back to their linked Nintendo DS.

Today we're excited to announce the grand opening of Mr Wong's Laundromat on Rockstar Games Social Club. This webgame allows players of Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars to log onto Social Club and test out their money laundering skills in an effort to win cash/unlockable multiplayer costumes that can then be used in their copy of Chinatown Wars for the Nintendo DS.

Players can earn up to $10,000 per day working for Mr Wong, a local Chinatown 'businessman' who's helped more than his fair share of cash trickle seamlessly and undetected through the streets of Liberty City over the years.

Additionally, the Chinatown Wars Download Section has been updated with Guardian Lions and Mr Wong's ringtones (in both Mp3 and M4R format) as well as a Mr Wong desktop background. Stay tuned for more updates to the Chinatown Wars Download Section in the near future.

If you need to add your Nintendo DS Friend Code to your Social Club account (needed to transfer any money/multiplayer costumes you earn from Mr Wong back to your game) you can click here. You can also play Mr Wong's without having a DS Friend Code linked to your Social Club account and submit scores to the top 50 leaderboard.

I beat this game last week (not at a very high percentage rate). It has a lot of mission diversity and I just discovered you can destroy cameras after passing up dozens before. After I was done with the game I thought "now what?" but then I discovered all the street race centers are giving me some extra replay value.

Also how does Social Club work with this game? Are able to download stuff through wi-fi? I'll probably look it up right now but if someone has an answer now I'd be grateful.

Just wanted to throw my FC out there:

Mr.Wong's Laudromat:
$1144

Just added:
edison/ edison
1333-3851-5762

bmachine / bmachine
2664-7914-2798

creid8 / tuff one
1762-8505-6817

tootythebear / taylor
1161-5525-6135

insano / insano316
3437-8937-9018

aknowlesjr / tj
2750-6910-7974

captnink / captnink
5112-9262-7814

spybreak8 / -spybreak-
0560-2687-5989

i just got this game a few days ago and im really loving it. i got a question though about mr wongs laundromat game on the social club website. i had about 10,000 dollars in my "bank" with a ninja suit before i synced up my ds with the website. now i have no money on the site and it never made it to my game. is that for online only? i know the costumes are but what about the actual money you get?

I would assume if the money was usable in single player that you would get it in your safehouse but I don't see anyplace you could. Maybe somewhere on your pda? My best guess is yea its for multiplayer. There are so many rampages, I need a map to find them all lol.

weird i was reading more about it on the social club and it should be in my actual game cash. everytime ive sync'd and saved like it says i still havent gotten my extra cash. oh well

Concerning Mr. Wong's Laundry Game: i went ahead and loaded my game and exited my house and saw i had $251,911 then i went back in and synced my stats walk out of the house and had over $450,000. I had over $10,000 waiting for me in the mr. wong game. Can anyone confirm?

if anyone cares this is my friend code, im intrested in trying out some of the multiplayer stuff. 541368438536

I looked at my game today and I had $168,191. Played a little Mr. Wong's Laundry Game today, synced up my game and now I have $169,043. So yea I would confirm that the money is in single player and maybe the clothing is multiplayer?

Extra kevlar and health(if you're in a vehicle, this code will repair said vehicle): L,L,R,A,A,B,B,R

Desert Eagle Pistol: R, Up, B, Down, L, R,B,R

Taser: Right, up, A,Down, Left, Right, A, Right.

Chainsaw: Right, Up, Y, Down, left, Right, Right, Y, Right

Bazooka: Right, Up, X, Down, Left, Right, X, Right

Desert Eagle Explosive Rounds: L, R, X, Y, A, B, Up, Down

LOwer wanted level(Note: you must do this until all the stars are gone)R, X,X, Y, Y, R, L,L,

Thunderstorm: Up, Down, Left, Right, A, X, R, L

Hurricane: UP, Down, Left, Right, B, Y, Left, Right

Picked up and finished the game recently, clocked in at some 9 hours (don't know real time as I usually reloaded when I got busted ;)).
My views on this game through others:

[quote name='Law_Professor']Just beat the game. OH. MAH. GAWD. So good. :)[/QUOTE]

[quote name='CaptNink']I'm having way more fun with this game than I ever did with GTA IV. :D[/QUOTE]

[quote name='dembesum']I just beat it. I demand another GTA DS game.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='dcswirl']This game is so good-people need to buy this so we see more from Rockstar.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='homeland']Great game. I loved the diversity in the missions and how they were all pretty much enjoyable, unlike alot of the GTA4 missions.[/QUOTE]

I'm glad they're developing this game for the PSP now, may the mobile fun be widespread lol. I haven't played this in a while, trying to go through my 360 backlog.

Interesting bit of spinnery coming out of Nintendo about why this game wasn't successful. They're claiming that more marketing should have been aimed at it and that the game should still be receiving a marketing push.

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2009...ating-sales-due-to-marketing-or-lack-thereof/

Personally, I feel that largely, those folks that have DSs aren't interested in GTA games, and folks that want to play GTA games would rather play them on the big screen to get the richer, more immersive experience.

Pssh. I simply wasn't going to drop $35 on the title, and now I'm hedging my bets b/w the DS and PSP versions. Not to mention the iPhone version, now, too. ;)

You got to be stupid to believe Nintendo didn't market it due to it was Rockstar's fault. This is a mature DS title so they're not going to market it like a Mario or Wii Sports title. Hey I bought it (due largely by Gamesradar) and spread the word so I did my part lol.

I think it's hilarious. After the lackluster sales came in, Nintendo said something to the effect of "Don't worry, DS game sales have a long tail." Now it's "Oh wait, maybe that's just our games..."

It's really unfortunate this game didn't sell... and I must admit to not helping matters. I only recently got it, and that from goozex. It's a really fantastic game. I wish it had sold better as I'd really like there to be a sequel. I suppose we might get that on the iPhone, though - I can see this selling like crazy on that platform. Have the sales numbers for the PSP version been published? Did it do any better there?

As far as preferring to play a GTA game on the big screen... I actually bought this game because I just discovered the GTA series via GTA IV on the 360. Well, I've actually ended up stopping midstream in the 360 game and have been playing the DS game non-stop. I think I actually prefer the DS game. Which isn't to say that I don't like GTA IV. I actually was really loving it, but once I got the DS game I just found myself more compelled to play it for some reason. Go figure.

The PSP version didn't do better than the DS version and it was mostly due to control wise issues.

Just an echo of what I said earlier with Joystiq stating that Nintendo doesn't support third party games, like this is new news or anything.
http://www.joystiq.com/2009/12/11/eas-riccitiello-nintendo-learning-how-to-support-third-parti/

I think the main reason not a lot of people grabbed GTA China Wars compared to its brother GTAIV on the 360 was the top down perspective which many thought was going the wrong way. I loved the original GTAs so I didn't mind so much and yeah I enjoyed it more because of that direction as well.

[quote name='crunchewy']Have the sales numbers for the PSP version been published? Did it do any better there?[/QUOTE]

"4 digits (XXXX)" was the range given in October for the PSP version. So yeah, less than 10k, not counting PSN sales, in the first month. By comparison the DS version, sold 86k in March and 74k in April (160k total as of April, but it has likely passed 200k by now).

bread's done
Back