GTA Chinatown Wars

What's the length for the core story? I saw some reviewers say 5-6 hours but I'd rather hear it from the "true" voice of the gamers.

Thanks I was lookin for that place as well and its so awesome how much Rockstar transitioned Liberty City to the DS. I also synced my game so bulletproof Infernos whenever I unlock the auto dealership.^^ I'm having a blast with this game with my only nag with not being able to see where you are driving. This is nostalgia to me though as I loved playing GTA and GTA2 back in the day. Added everybody here. I must have wasted 150 bucks right off the bat buying scratch cards too.

[quote name='Spybreak8']...with my only nag with not being able to see where you are driving. [/quote]

Have you tried adjusting the driving view distance in the System options? I set mine to +2 and it made a big difference.

I'm also really impressed with the way they moved the Liberty City from GTA4 onto the DS. Last night, I stumbled across the Perestroika Nightclub where Niko takes his friends, as well as the Roman's car service's garage. I've also found the diner where Niko has his "man date" and the Honkers strip club. Good times.

I've kind of paused the main game for now...I'm just shuffling trunkloads of drugs around the city and trying to build up my cash-on-hand. The drug trafficing system is a lot of fun, and driving around the city isn't nearly as tedious as it became in GTA4.

That said, if anyone has some heroin they'd like to give/sell me, we should link up!

[quote name='CaptNink']Have you tried adjusting the driving view distance in the System options? I set mine to +2 and it made a big difference.[/quote]

This. It makes a big difference. You can set the arrows from the GPS to appear on the street, as well. Improves gameplay substantially.

[quote name='bmachine']You can set the arrows from the GPS to appear on the street, as well. Improves gameplay substantially.[/quote]

I agree - those GPS arrows are essential!

[quote name='CaptNink']Have you tried adjusting the driving view distance in the System options? I set mine to +2 and it made a big difference.[/quote]

Originally Posted by bmachine
You can set the arrows from the GPS to appear on the street, as well. Improves gameplay substantially.
Man, cool, looks like I have some tweaking to do!

Edit: Wow, those small changes really make a difference!

Last edited by a moderator:
Can anyone tell me what the near miss does? I had a mission with it being related to near miss but other than an indication of almost smashing a cop or other car I don't see the importance.

I'm not very far, every time I turned it on I usually only play for 15-20 mins and most of that time I'm busing buying and selling drugs. Also, I haven't updated my stats in awhile. Oh, I turned on the GPS on the street after reading about it in here...great feature, makes driving a hell of alot easier!

Here's a rundown of CAG friend codes, thusfar:

bmachine / bmachine
2664-7914-2798

creid8 / tuff one
1762-8505-6817

tootythebear / taylor
1161-5525-6135

insano / insano316
3437-8937-9018

aknowlesjr / tj
2750-6910-7974

captnink / captnink
5112-9262-7814

spybreak8 / -spybreak-
0560-2687-5989

[quote name='pete5883']Just added the other 5 people's FC's, no one's really very far in this game :whistle2:#[/quote]

Yeah, you're definitely the farthest along out of those here who have shared their friend code.
I'm in this for the long haul, though...I want those Guardian Lions!

[quote name='Spybreak8']Can anyone tell me what the near miss does? I had a mission with it being related to near miss but other than an indication of almost smashing a cop or other car I don't see the importance.[/quote]

I think it's just another stat that it tracks. It's how many times you almost hit another vehicle.

So are you guys impressed with this overdue title or not really? Lack of real wifi MP is a huge bummer imo.

[quote name='Spybreak8']Can anyone tell me what the near miss does? I had a mission with it being related to near miss but other than an indication of almost smashing a cop or other car I don't see the importance.[/quote]

Was this the Marcy mission?

It's awesome. I bought it, Henry Hatsworth, Resident Evil 5, and Resistance Retribution all in the same week...and GTA is the only game I've played for more than 15 minutes out of all of them. Get it.

[quote name='Skv012a']So are you guys impressed with this overdue title or not really? Lack of real wifi MP is a huge bummer imo.[/QUOTE]
Yes, great game.

[quote name='Skv012a']So are you guys impressed with this overdue title or not really? Lack of real wifi MP is a huge bummer imo.[/quote]

I've owned my DS for about 2 and a half years now, and this is the best DS game I've played to date! I frickin' love it!

But I haven't gotten very far either - I'm too busy screwing around and making drug deals.

Thanks for the coke spybreak and sorry about the sudden disconnect - the wife was yelling! :D

Anyway, I owe you! Do you need anything?

So I got an email from Rockstar, this is now the highest rated DS game of all time. So why are there only 10 of us playing it?

Oh right, 3rd party DS game.

Haha you are now in debt to the mob son. Lol nah I have a pretty good balance at the moment with 4 safehouses now. Unfortunately I got busted after a drug deal went sour and lost 13 packages of ecstasy, holy crap man that was a lot of dough! That was my first arrest so I just shrugged it off. Dealing drugs is addicting, haha I had to say it.

I have to say that I think the game lags a bit when you move the camera up some as I didn't notice it before but I'm noticing it now. Its only at intersections or when you've got a lot on screen. I give this game a 10 no doubt and it replaces New Super Mario Bros and Mario Kart as being the best DS game in my collection while not being made by Nintendo oddly enough haha.

If anyone needs to know where the auto place is or the guns shop I have them as favorites, since they don't have icons on the map themselves. I don't know how to share the favorites but its something they say you can do.

okay i bought this game been playing nonstop, and it freezes on me and wont get past the first screen. i cant exhange or return it, so i know this is a taboo subject but i'll ask...been a member for several yrs now. i needed ,my gta fix so i dusted off my r4 , downloaded the game but how does it open.

so i downloaded GTA chinatown wars rom i want to unzip it using winrar onto to my r4

i get a list of 13 files

xpa-gtac.rar, then additional ones " "r00-r012

i highlighted all of them dragged and dropped to my r4 games folder, do i unzip all of these? i did, but nothing works

frustrating..i'd forget it and buy a new one but low on funds at the moment...damn tuition and books lol

[quote name='rly723']okay i bought this game been playing nonstop, and it freezes on me and wont get past the first screen. i cant exhange or return it, so i know this is a taboo subject but i'll ask...been a member for several yrs now. i needed ,my gta fix so i dusted off my r4 , downloaded the game but how does it open.

so i downloaded GTA chinatown wars rom i want to unzip it using winrar onto to my r4

i get a list of 13 files

i highlighted all of them dragged and dropped to my r4 games folder, do i unzip all of these? i did, but nothing works

frustrating..i'd forget it and buy a new one but low on funds at the moment...damn tuition and books lol[/quote]

If you don't mind me asking, why can you not exchange it?

Last time I ready "R4:+:GTA Chinatown wars" in a sentence. Supposedly, you can not play it since Rockstar has some protection on it.

--edit--

Fun game, the selling drugs portion is taking up most of my gameplay time with the game.

[quote name='rly723']okay i bought this game been playing nonstop, and it freezes on me and wont get past the first screen. i cant exhange or return it, so i know this is a taboo subject but i'll ask...been a member for several yrs now. i needed ,my gta fix so i dusted off my r4 , downloaded the game but how does it open.

i get a list of 13 files

frustrating..i'd forget it and buy a new one but low on funds at the moment...damn tuition and books lol[/QUOTE]

You can't return it, yah right...

BAN HIM!

I wish I knew you could have the GPS arrows on the road when I was playing the game. That was one of my issues with the game, that driving and looking at your GPS simultaneously was difficult.

Note to self, do not play this game on the can, lol my leg fell asleep. I now have 35K from trading narcotics! Found 3 stunt jumps so far, man the physics in this game are actually pretty good!

I just beat the game, and i must say, the missions were always enjoyable. For being a portable GTA, it was really well done due to Leeds making this game unique in it's own.

has anyone played the GTA psp versions, how do you think it compares to this DS one? were the psp version similar versions just as the console gta on xbox/ps?

Ok can anyone tell me what these blue quake like energy things are around the city? (its like an electron charge thing) I walk over them and nothing happens and they also don't show up on the map so I'm guessing they're like hidden packages or something.

Oh also I am really annoyed at how cops from along the street just run over to your car and throw you out super fast.

man this game rocks. ive been playing since day one and cant seem to stop dealing drugs. im where i get with all gta games though. one point in any of them i get stuck on a mission and cant get past it. all the other missions are done up to this point so i cant do anything until its done.

[quote name='pete5883']After you beat the game, 2 lion statues will randomly spawn in 2 of those swirling blue spots.[/quote]

Really? Oh, man...I should have written down where I've seen those!

[quote name='pete5883']So I got an email from Rockstar, this is now the highest rated DS game of all time. So why are there only 10 of us playing it?

Oh right, 3rd party DS game.[/quote]

The 10 of you are the only DS owners with good taste in games and its one of the very few good/decent DS games in its history.

[quote name='pete5883']After you beat the game, 2 lion statues will randomly spawn in 2 of those swirling blue spots.[/quote]

ahhh that makes sense and yea for now on I'm going to add them to my list. How many favorites can you have? Has anyone tried to max them out lol. Oh by the way the gun club and auto place ARE on your map, they're under odd jobs as I found out last night.

i have clocked in about 3 1/2 hours and am about 15% through. Really fucking addictive. I'm right at where
the cop asks you to help him out

I've been playing the game for 10 hours and I'm only 30% percent complete. I'm so freaking distracted by drug trafficking!

I've made $253,000 by selling drugs. I think I need to commit to getting back into the story this week.

[quote name='bmachine']Really? Oh, man...I should have written down where I've seen those![/QUOTE]
Not necessary. On the Social Club there's a map cluing you in to the locations. If you want to get more exact:
the spots coincide with the dot in the question marks. And I think theres one question mark on the map that shouldn't be there, in the southeast. Wasted 30 minutes looking.

[quote name='Spybreak8']ahhh that makes sense and yea for now on I'm going to add them to my list. How many favorites can you have? Has anyone tried to max them out lol.[/QUOTE]

I maxed out favorites at 20 or 30, don't remember exactly. Leaning towards 20.

Yea just stay on the right of them if you can, since the default drive by shoots to the left, and spray it with the micro SMG. Once the driver pops out, stay in the car and take em out. You could also just use a grenade or Molotov in the beginning before they drive off. Then drive the van to your designated safehouse.

My right thumb hurts after playing my DS lately, haven't played my DS Lite in a while so I guess my thumb is used to my 360 controller not my DS. ^^

[quote name='CaptNink']Anyone have any tips for hijacking those Amu-Nation trucks? :D[/QUOTE]
Not worth it, IMO. More productive to spend your time dealing and then use the cash for weapons.

[quote name='Rocko']Not worth it, IMO. More productive to spend your time dealing and then use the cash for weapons.[/quote]

Yeah, the haul from those trucks is always disappointing. Ditto with the drug vans.

That's the same way I feel about taking over gang vehicles. So I grabbed 3 packages of drugs, big deal. I don't think its rewarding enough, compared to the weapon vans which may get you a rocket launcher or flame thrower which at times you may not be able to buy.

bread's done
Back