GTA Online/CAG Crew Thread

I'm playing right now with zracer214, join online!

I think I played a bunch with SynGamer and HappyHeckler too.

To me, the races seem to be the quickest, easiest way to make money on the lower levels. Races only last a few minutes and net $2500 or more for a 1st place finish. You gain XP pretty quickly too.
how were you guys able to connect with each other?

how were you guys able to connect with each other?
The only way I have been able to join is via mission invites that pop up on the cell phone. And that only worked once, was able to join Brain_Freezesomenumbers for a couple Last Team Standings last night. Of course, we got matched up on opposing teams, which kinda takes the fun out of being in a crew, but at this point i'll take what I can get.

The "Join Crew Members" option from the Online menu hasn't worked for me at all, but apparently you can only join a crew member's server if they are in freeroam.

Won't be able to play much, if at all, this week. Hopefully by next weekend things will be more stable and we'll be able to have CAGvans roaming the countryside looking for 75% off body armor.

I'm in!

Mr. Anderson - samuraifez

Played a few games last night, and it seems neato so far. I'm impressed with the matchmaking integration into the overworld. 

I was finally able to do the tutorial stuff last night after the patch update but AFAIK, there wasn't anyone else in the world map (at least, I didn't see any) after the initial race. I tried it again just now but after taking ~7 minutes to load up (the loading slideshow cycled four times), and another 10 minutes trying to find players for a match without finding anyone, I just quit out of the game since you can't fucking back out of the match itself. 

I know RS said there's going to be issues but holy hell, I've spent more time sitting around than I have playing the online mode. I'd like to say that RS simply didn't see the demand but I know that's not true since the game sold 8+ million copies and stores still have ample supply, meaning they foresaw the demand for the game.  

EDIT* Just tried it start it up again and I timed out. I love they don't even give you a option to go to the regular game.:whistle2:

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah I'm not going to bother with it for a week or so.. I tried this morning and I kept getting timedout ugh

Wow! I was actually able to play for 2 straight hours just now... but I can't say I see the draw here. Roaming around is fun but nothing really happens in the world- just players running around, shopping or killing each other. The online matches take forever to get going. The lobby times are way too long and there's always one person who doesn't mark themselves ready so you'll always end up waiting the entire time. 

As for the actual online matches, they're hit or miss. Racing is pretty fun but honestly, real players are just as bad as the AI. The team based missions (whether team vs team, or team vs AI) are easily the best and are really fun... even if people don't know what they're doing. Deathmatch is ok, but given the already shoddy aiming and cover system, it's not exactly great. 

What makes me want to quit is how long it takes to make money. You can make about 1-4K per match/mission depending on performance but given how long each one takes, it just doesn't seem worth it. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or if the higher payouts haven't unlocked yet or what. 

Wow! I was actually able to play for 2 straight hours just now... but I can't say I see the draw here. Roaming around is fun but nothing really happens in the world- just players running around, shopping or killing each other. The online matches take forever to get going. The lobby times are way too long and there's always one person who doesn't mark themselves ready so you'll always end up waiting the entire time.

As for the actual online matches, they're hit or miss. Racing is pretty fun but honestly, real players are just as bad as the AI. The team based missions (whether team vs team, or team vs AI) are easily the best and are really fun... even if people don't know what they're doing. Deathmatch is ok, but given the already shoddy aiming and cover system, it's not exactly great.

What makes me want to quit is how long it takes to make money. You can make about 1-4K per match/mission depending on performance but given how long each one takes, it just doesn't seem worth it. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or if the higher payouts haven't unlocked yet or what.
Once you hit 15, just farm Violent Duct. 1K RP and 9K cash in about 40 seconds of work.

The only way I have been able to join is via mission invites that pop up on the cell phone. And that only worked once, was able to join Brain_Freezesomenumbers for a couple Last Team Standings last night. Of course, we got matched up on opposing teams, which kinda takes the fun out of being in a crew, but at this point i'll take what I can get.

The "Join Crew Members" option from the Online menu hasn't worked for me at all, but apparently you can only join a crew member's server if they are in freeroam.

Won't be able to play much, if at all, this week. Hopefully by next weekend things will be more stable and we'll be able to have CAGvans roaming the countryside looking for 75% off body armor.
I did the Join Crew Members option in the online menu, along with inviting crew members from the missions themselves. I've got 10+ hours over the last 2-3 days. There are the occasional problems, but everything was working for me 98% of the time I've been online.

I'm up to Level 13 through mostly doing races and missions. I feel like the races give me more XP and cash at a quicker pace than anything else, but I like doing missions to change it up.

I don't mind waiting for people either, because playing with CAG members has allowed me to play with reliable people that finish races and genuinely help on missions.

Once you hit 15, just farm Violent Duct. 1K RP and 9K cash in about 40 seconds of work.
Is that including the time it takes for the matches to get going?:lol: TBH, my single biggest gripe with the online is how long it takes to get in and out of a match... most of the time, my matches are over faster than the time I had to sit around for the match to start to when the next match started.

Anyway, I Google'd that to see what Violent Duct was and apparently, it was patched so you can't spam it anymore. I also tried the car selling but after selling my first car, I could sell the second one... no matter what I bought in (common or rare) or how long I waited (played 3 matches, roughly 1 hour real world time).

I'm guessing that the crap payouts and general difficulties in getting money have something to do with the fact that people can just use real money to buy fake money.:whistle2:k

Loaded it up today, let it patch then was greeted with my female character missing. So I started a male in the second slot and the game then cloned a rank 1 version of him in slot 1 which lacks the option to delete. (it's acting like the slot is empty even though it shows the clone)

Goddamn this game is janky as fuck. :whistle2:D

We're now two patches in and data deletion/corruption is still occurring. From what I'm seeing online it's quite widespread. If this doesn't get fixed and soon then players will abandon the online mode in droves. At this point, people understand that launch woes like not being able to connect/play for the first week are, sadly, standard but data loss/corruption is an entirely different level of screw-up.

I don't even care about my rank 7-8 character but seeing so many reports of rank 30+ characters getting zapped is worrisome to say the least. Let's hope this gets sorted before people start giving up on online.

edit: Checked today and now both characters slots are empty.

@disruptor108...damn you and your races.  :razz:  It was good teaming up with you these past few days, but we seem to team up when I'm within a few hours of knocking out.  I still can't believe I crashed my heli on a palm tree though! 

Online really reminds me why I hate gaming online on consoles. So many mouth breathers with live mics. I honestly can't stand listening to peoples babies crying in the background, people bumping fucking Rick Ross as loud as possible, or dudes hacking into their mic. Not to mention the overall voice quality is total ass. Not even trying to hate or anything, but once you use something like Mumble or Vent that has crystal clear voice quality and push-to-talk, there is no going back.

We're now two patches in and data deletion/corruption is still occurring. From what I'm seeing online it's quite widespread. If this doesn't get fixed and soon then players will abandon the online mode in droves. At this point, people understand that launch woes like not being able to connect/play for the first week are, sadly, standard but data loss/corruption is an entirely different level of screw-up.
You wanted your saved games saved? What an entitled gamer!

No, I agree completely. High traffic and connection issues are perfectly fine and acceptable for a popular online game. But losing save data is another matter entirely. This is a massive blunder. I would hope the gaming press would take them to task for this, but I don't think it will happen.

The game is out. They are charging $60 for it. It's time to get some balls and release some goddamn reviews.

You can set the voice chat in game to be only friends and crew members just like the vehicles.

The GAF thread has a lot of pages filled with "My character is gone." posts that really highlight just how many people are losing data...sometimes they magically reappear and sometimes they don't. *shrug* Sad either way.

I made a character Wed, it disappeared. My character today randomly chose me with my father being John Marston of Red Dead. I could not choose my grandparent's on my father's side. It just said John Marston as my father which I found to be cool.

I was actually able to get on fairly quickly today (only took 3 minutes) but after that, it went downhill.

First of all, my character is completely different. I went from a casual dressed brown guy to a white gangbanger with cornrows. Then, as soon as the world loaded up, I got a message saying I quit an online match before it ended... which is bullshit. Last night, after a match was over, the game was stuck loading in the post match screen (where everyone votes like/dislike) for 5 minutes before I just turned off the system. 

Anyway, I decide to just play the game but unfortunately, none of the online matches could get enough players matched. Additionally, someone came in to the world and was just constantly singing/screaming. I couldn't figure out who it was or how to report them... but I think I'm done with the online mode for a few months. I've given this mode multiple shots but it's clear RS has a lot of work to do. 

Wow, the horror stories. I don't mind connection issues but losing a character you're leveling up would suck ass.

I probably won't play GTA-Online til problems are fixed for PS3. Really looked forward to playing with CAGs.

I dl'ed the BF4 beta so I'll stick with that for my mp fix.

@disruptor108...damn you and your races. :razz: It was good teaming up with you these past few days, but we seem to team up when I'm within a few hours of knocking out. I still can't believe I crashed my heli on a palm tree though!
Yeah, that was the first helicopter race I had tried. It's fun just trying out the new and different stuff as you gain levels. I see the servers are offline now, but we (or any other CAG crew members) should try getting together and playing. I've been on between about 11:00pm and 2:00am EDT.

Yeah, that was the first helicopter race I had tried. It's fun just trying out the new and different stuff as you gain levels. I see the servers are offline now, but we (or any other CAG crew members) should try getting together and playing. I've been on between about 11:00pm and 2:00am EDT.
Yeah mine too. I've been trying to use the heli these past few days to bring flying up. It was weird too because my friend was watching me and he thought it was slow compared to the maverick. I chose buzzard. Sometimes I'm on around 8pm to 11pm PST, so we could catch in some gaming time. Usually around 10:30-11pm I begin to doze off. Gotta love waking up early for work.

I'm playing again right now. I had trouble yesterday logging on to the servers to play, but my character is exactly how I left it on Saturday. No issues with losing characters here.

Had some fun survival games with ShadowSoldiers earlier this morning/afternoon. That is, until the game broke and didn't start the next wave.

Had some fun survival games with ShadowSoldiers earlier this morning/afternoon. That is, until the game broke and didn't start the next wave.
Yeah, I think the Survival missions unlock at Level 15. Those missions seem to be a decent way to get expensive weapons and ammo for free. I only tried one, and it worked fine for me, so I don't know about the brokenness.

Good games tonight with disruptor108 and paraslacks. Did some survival which is by far my favorite mode (and the easiest to rack up cash). Also did some vehicle deathmatch which I didn't even know existed. It was pretty fun roaming around the desert in tanks trying to blow each other up.

Good games tonight with disruptor108 and paraslacks. Did some survival which is by far my favorite mode (and the easiest to rack up cash). Also did some vehicle deathmatch which I didn't even know existed. It was pretty fun roaming around the desert in tanks trying to blow each other up.
I suck at tanks.

But yeah, that was a blast. Finally paid off my first crappy garage!

Yeah, I was able to buy my first apartment with the money gained from playing those couple survival games. I kind of wish I had saved like 30K more though to get the apartment that's one level above mine (I bought the 87K one rather than the 125K one) since it had a 6-car garage and not a 2-car like mine. Oh well.

Has there been an issues with deleted characters lately? I haven't played in almost a week because I lost mine and don't really want to put time into a new character if there's still a high risk of losing them.

Finally was able to get a good connection and had some good mission with CAG crew member knightsdwn.

Has there been an issues with deleted characters lately? I haven't played in almost a week because I lost mine and don't really want to put time into a new character if there's still a high risk of losing them.
They threw a big warning up when you try to go online about how to avoid getting your characters overwritten (If the character choice screen comes up with no characters, creating a new one will overwrite your current character. Exit out and try again). My original character from the first day got wiped, but my 2nd one (created around Friday) has been fine. Today's patch is supposed to fix the problem, but it doesn't look like characters that were erased can be restored.

As soon as I saw that my character was missing I exited and there hasn't been any sign of him since. Oh well, I had only done the tutorial and a few races.

I just jumped online and my first character from a few days ago was missing. Nothing major since I did just the 1 race, but I had to go through all the tutorial shit again. Still, I'll be online if anyone is interested.

So...online is kinda shitty. People take forever to die and it's basically a free-for-all as soon as you get into a lobby.

Finally was able to get a good connection and had some good mission with CAG crew member knightsdwn.
Yup was fun indeed. I'm starting to unlock the more interesting missions and I'd like to play it with more CAGs.

So...online is kinda shitty. People take forever to die and it's basically a free-for-all as soon as you get into a lobby.
I got that feeling too when I was leveling but playing with friends and CAGs makes it much more fun. Also, leveling up and unlocking the better weapons and tougher armor will make you less of a target during free mode.

So I got a $9k bounty placed on me because I carjacked a Banshee in Vinewood. It was extremely fun having 6+ people chase me around trying to kill me until I was able to not make it worth the effort with my sticky bombs. After 24 in-game hours the bounty expired and the $9k was deposited into my account. Good stuff.

Ran a bunch of 16 player races tonight.  Game seems to have a hard time trying to keep those functional.  I'm sure player latency has something to do with it, but occasionally you get some NPC traffic flying down the road at the same speed as the rest of the racers.

Lots of shenanigans with that many players.

I got that feeling too when I was leveling but playing with friends and CAGs makes it much more fun. Also, leveling up and unlocking the better weapons and tougher armor will make you less of a target during free mode.

So I got a $9k bounty placed on me because I carjacked a Banshee in Vinewood. It was extremely fun having 6+ people chase me around trying to kill me until I was able to not make it worth the effort with my sticky bombs. After 24 in-game hours the bounty expired and the $9k was deposited into my account. Good stuff.
Yeah, I had a bunch of fun (at least I thought it was) tonight with some CAGers.

I picked up a Chinook helicopter and traveled around the map picking up CAGers until 4 of us were in the helicopter. Then I tried chasing down people in the helicopter and letting the passengers in the helicopter shoot the people from above. That was fun until the helicopter took a bunch of damage and would hardly fly. Then we all jumped In a car and created a little more chaos until we dispersed.

So how was the new update?  I've been busy at work and with other things so I haven't been able to play much.  Most likely be busy in/out on this weekend but we'll see.

Have they fixed the online problem of characters being deleted yet?
Seems like it. I haven't had any issues since patch 1.02 was released. That's just my one experience, but I haven't heard anyone complaining about it recently, either.

I kinda hate how it always defaults back to fists but...

Another player had my car pinned and also managed to pin himself so we both get out, him with a pistol and me with my dumb fists, and I was able to beat him to death and then stole his car.

I was really disappointed that a trophy didn't pop.

I like putting 9k bounties on random people and watch them run from everybody on the TV. 

A lot of people complain about getting killed on GTA though, its pretty silly if you think about it, considering the game they're playing. 

Also they need to tweak the Bad Sport system, pretty brutal to penalize someone for blowing up a personal vehicle of someone who just tried to run you over. 

bread's done
Back