Guitar Hero II - General Disscusion - Indie Pack #2 - 3 Songs Up Now

I'm just gonna hold onto my points for GHIII and Rock Band (especially Rock Band, whole Album DLs? I'm so there.)

I already have the games on PS2, and the only reason I even have the 360 version is because it was free (see link in sig). No new content means they ain't getting my money.

I bought all 4 packs, paid $0.

The same thing is going to happen with GH3 and Rock Band. I hope I'm wrong, but do you really think EA isn't going to charge whatever they can for DLC? At least they'll mostly be brand new songs. With Rock Band, hopefully they'll give a price break when buying full albums, but this is EA we're talking about.

[quote name='buttasuperb']I bought all 4 packs, paid $0.

The same thing is going to happen with GH3 and Rock Band. I hope I'm wrong, but do you really think EA isn't going to charge whatever they can for DLC? At least they'll mostly be brand new songs. With Rock Band, hopefully they'll give a price break when buying full albums, but this is EA we're talking about.[/QUOTE]

The bundles are what bothers me the most. There is only 1 or 2 songs out of those packs that I really want, so the cost of the song moves closer to $3-6 then $2 for me.

I wouldn't mind paying $2-3 per song INDIVIDUALLY for Rock Band given that I'm getting guitar, bass, drum and lyrical tracks composed for each one...and they're not covers.

[quote name='buttasuperb']I bought all 4 packs, paid $0.

The same thing is going to happen with GH3 and Rock Band. I hope I'm wrong, but do you really think EA isn't going to charge whatever they can for DLC? At least they'll mostly be brand new songs. With Rock Band, hopefully they'll give a price break when buying full albums, but this is EA we're talking about.[/quote]
Yep. The same guys who charge for stadiums and jerseys in Madden and take out cheat codes in The Godfather so we are forced to buy the most powerful weapons if we want them.

It's kind of a double-edged sword having EA publish Rock Band. Their clout convinces bands to hand over master tracks which is a huge advantage but their business practice sucks.

Would they have made more money if they didn't bundle the songs? I'm not sure, but here's what I bought vs what I would have bought.

What I bought:
BatM, Hey You, Ace of Spades, Killer Queen, Frankenstein, Take It Off
Total Cost: $12.50

What I would have bought, at the same price, had I not been bundlefucked:
BatM, Killer Queen, Frankenstein, Take It Off, Sharp Dressed Man
Total Cost: ~$10.40

I guess they made an extra $2.50 off me at the cost of my customer satisfaction. If I had owned GH1 before, I would have never shelled out for any of these packs, though I probably would have bought a few at $2 if I could choose individually. Is it worth it, Activision?

I found this post over at the xbox.com forums, from someone who has the songs so he can see the amount of people who have it:

This post was a few days back, on the 11th, before the new DLC.

After 13 weeks since the DLC release:

Career Mode Total = 620,814

92,035 Ace of Spades
83,788 Bark at the Moon
76,074 Hey You

Guitar Hero Track Pack 1: 14.8%

67,080 Frankenstein
88,700 Killer Queen
67,593 Take it Off

Guitar Hero Track Pack 2: 14.3%

93,775 Higher Ground
79,365 Infected
92,103 Stellar

Guitar Hero Track Pack 3: 15.1%

For comparision's sake, here is the 12th week he posted, the week before:

After 12 weeks since the DLC release:

Career Mode Total = 596,924

87,755 Ace of Spades
79,944 Bark at the Moon
72,400 Hey You

Guitar Hero Track Pack 1: 14.7%

63,868 Frankenstein
84,740 Killer Queen
64,364 Take it Off

Guitar Hero Track Pack 2: 14.2%

89,497 Higher Ground
75,506 Infected
87,808 Stellar

Guitar Hero Track Pack 3: 15.0%

http://forums.xbox.com/7/11655582/ShowPost.aspx#11655582

Post is about halfway down the page.

Obviously, they must be pleased with those results.

did they ever fix that whammy problem from a patch awhile ago? i still dont update my game when i play it cuz i'm afraid itll mess something up since ive never had a problem with my guitar.

A PLEA FOR HELP!!!!
I played this game all morning, and tried to boot it up tonight. However it goes to the main screen that says press a button. I do it goes to the loading screen and freezes there EVERYTIME. Non of my other games are having this issue. I have no idea what to do. I deleted all the content besides my careers from the dashboard. I'd clear the cache but not sure how to do that. Anyone run across this or have any suggestions?

[quote name='FrankySox']A PLEA FOR HELP!!!!
I played this game all morning, and tried to boot it up tonight. However it goes to the main screen that says press a button. I do it goes to the loading screen and freezes there EVERYTIME. Non of my other games are having this issue. I have no idea what to do. I deleted all the content besides my careers from the dashboard. I'd clear the cache but not sure how to do that. Anyone run across this or have any suggestions?[/quote]

That happened to my friend once when I was over his house. We decided to first take the game out, then unplug everything. The controller, his A/V, the power brick, and all others. Worked since I left, dunno if he still has the problem.

I don't know how that even fixed anything looking back at it, but it did.

[quote name='MillerTime2523']fucking Carry me home on hard. I'll never beat that song.[/quote]

I spent about 3 hour solid playing that song to beat it on hard. It's ruthless. I'm finally on fourth tier on expert but I've hit another road block.

[quote name='magiic']I spent about 3 hour solid playing that song to beat it on hard. It's ruthless. I'm finally on fourth tier on expert but I've hit another road block.[/quote]
haha, funny you quote that now - played through expert and beat like 15 songs last night, then went back to carry me home and beat it on the second try :D

I bought a PS2/PS3 controller adapter last night and fired up GH 1 again. It is so much more fun that 2 it's unreal. Granted, I am not very good at it and spend most of my time on medium difficulty - but I don't think a single medium song on GH2 is as fun or challenging as Crossroads.

I also really don't like any of the songs on GH2 that much. GH1 had plenty that I liked to listen to and play.

[quote name='Kendro']Yep. The same guys who charge for stadiums and jerseys in Madden and take out cheat codes in The Godfather so we are forced to buy the most powerful weapons if we want them.

It's kind of a double-edged sword having EA publish Rock Band. Their clout convinces bands to hand over master tracks which is a huge advantage but their business practice sucks.[/QUOTE]

Yep. No one should be excited about the full-album DLC for Rock Band. I would be shocked if it cost anything less than $10 per album, regardless of the number of tracks.

[quote name='mcgavin27']add to me to the group that is stuck on carry me home on hard.[/quote]

I went straight from half way thru the easy difficulty campaign to the hard difficulty campaign. By far the hardest song was Carry Me Home on the hard difficulty campaign.

[quote name='dastly75']I went straight from half way thru the easy difficulty campaign to the hard difficulty campaign. By far the hardest song was Carry Me Home on the hard difficulty campaign.[/QUOTE]

Finally beat it on expert last night. Just Beast and the Harlot, Hanger 18, and Freebird left.

edit: I've slayed the beast and rescued the harlot. Hanger 18 is still proving to be my downfall; I keep losing my star power due to the fucking crappy tilt sensor, and I can't get the fingering pattern for solo 4 down well enough to get to past 64%. :bomb:

I just d/l'd Pack 4 and I have to say I'm really happy with it. This is the first one with all 3 songs that I want so for me since I don't own a PS2 it is worth it.

[quote name='Scorch']I had a few extra bucks and wanted to play Killer Queen.. I'm sorry!!! :([/quote]

:nottalking::nottalking::nottalking::nottalking::nottalking::nottalking::nottalking:

....naw I'm kidding, they're never going to lower the price, it's either 500 points or it's free some long way down the line.. get over it and if you don't like the price for it, then don't fucking pay it. :roll:

[
edit: I've slayed the beast and rescued the harlot. Hanger 18 is still proving to be my downfall; I keep losing my star power due to the fucking crappy tilt sensor, and I can't get the fingering pattern for solo 4 down well enough to get to past 64%. :bomb:[/quote]

Just keep trying it. I got sooo frustrated until one time when I accidentaly tilted my star power early. It got me through the part I needed it to and there was a star power that was easy to hit that I had been covering up. Once I found that out I passed the song first try.

[quote name='Mrbaseball2710']
Just keep trying it. I got sooo frustrated until one time when I accidentaly tilted my star power early. It got me through the part I needed it to and there was a star power that was easy to hit that I had been covering up. Once I found that out I passed the song first try.[/QUOTE]

There's two sections that I KNOW I need star power for: solo 4 and somewhere in solo 7-8. If I can get the damn controller to do what I want, and hit enough star power in the riffs between the end solos, I should be able to pass it.

[quote name='Callandor']There's two sections that I KNOW I need star power for: solo 4 and somewhere in solo 7-8. If I can get the damn controller to do what I want, and hit enough star power in the riffs between the end solos, I should be able to pass it.[/quote]

Sounds about the same as me. I think in solo 4 try using star power a bit before the solo so it ends right after. You may be covering the same star power I was, and that will help you beat it.

The Deftones recently teamed up with "Alternative Press" to give away two autographed copies of "Guitar Hero II" (details here.) Those wondering why the Deftones are autographing a game they are not involved with may be interested in the rumors circulating that the bands track "My Own Summer (Shove It)" will soon be making its way into the aforementioned videogame franchise.

That would be a good song.

Yay. I finally beat expert. Yay. :)

My advice for beating Hanger 18: Use a full star power shortly before solo 4, use some again in solo 7 (you can pick up enough in one of the riffs and the beginning of solo 5 or 6). Since solo 8 is fairly tame, do it without star power. Pick up the two star power chord sequences in the riff between 8 and 9, and use one last blast in solo 9 to be safe.

Freebird is easier than Hanger 18, but solo c is a bitch. There are maybe two or three other difficult sections, but get past solo c and hit enough star power, and it is easliy doable. Took me three tries and a bit of time in practice on solo c.

Now, do I bother trying to finish 5-starring hard...

Anyone having problems with the whammy bar? I just broke my second one, and i'm not abusing them at all. I know during the holds you don't get more star power the faster you go, so I use it very gently. I bought this game about 2 months ago, and the first one broke about 2 weeks in. I exchanged it and today the replacement broke. I still have my original Guitar Hero I guitar, that is almost 2 years old, and has at least 200 hours of use on it. Still going strong. Same for my red SG.

[quote name='deadite76']An Admin from the official forums posted this yesterday:

Price drop? More DLC?[/quote]

Bah...Hopefully the 80's edition coming to XBOX360, and hopefully as a full on disc and not a DLC.

i was really hoping pack 4 would have Boston on it... its the only one i want to download. well i also want to get killer queen, but i just keep telling myself that more than a feeling will show up.

I still can't get past Woman on hard. That solo kills me every time I get to it. Been trying for like a month to beat that damn song.

I need a price drop or sale for this game soon because I'm itching to get some Guitar Hero going since I got rid of mine for PS2. I also need a DLC announcement of I wanna be sedated in a song pack and I don't care of the price as long as that song is in.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']I need a price drop or sale for this game soon because I'm itching to get some Guitar Hero going since I got rid of mine for PS2. I also need a DLC announcement of I wanna be sedated in a song pack and I don't care of the price as long as that song is in.[/QUOTE]

I wanna be sedated was in the last one, the 4th one, they put out. I think. It was with Smoke on the Water and something else that I cannot remember.

[quote name='deadite76']An Admin from the official forums posted this yesterday:

Price drop? More DLC?[/quote]

Hopefully it will be "Rocks the 80s" either as DLC or a stand alone disc. It would be fitting since everyone just bought it last week for the PS2 and a lot of people will probably double dip to play it with the better guitar and sharper graphics (plus achievements, etc.).

[quote name='Flyersfan']I wanna be sedated was in the last one, the 4th one, they put out. I think. It was with Smoke on the Water and something else that I cannot remember.[/quote]

Its in the 4th pack with 2 other songs. I just updated the OP with a full track list for the game and all of the DLC's.

[quote name='Flyersfan']I wanna be sedated was in the last one, the 4th one, they put out. I think. It was with Smoke on the Water and something else that I cannot remember.[/quote]

Awesome. Guess I'll need to buy it in a couple days and spend one of my point cards for that pack.

[quote name='javeryh']Hopefully it will be "Rocks the 80s" either as DLC or a stand alone disc. It would be fitting since everyone just bought it last week for the PS2 and a lot of people will probably double dip to play it with the better guitar and sharper graphics (plus achievements, etc.).[/QUOTE]

Better guitar? Ha. The Xplorer has a shorter neck than the Gibson SG, a weaker whammy bar, star power that sometimes won't work at all, and tiny, awkwardly placed start and select buttons. The only edge it has on the PS2 guitar is a stronger strum bar, and that's debatable. I didn't mean to rant, but I'm really looking foward to REAL guitar controllers when GHIII and Rock Band come out.

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']Better guitar? Ha. The Xplorer has a shorter neck than the Gibson SG, a weaker whammy bar, star power that sometimes won't work at all, and tiny, awkwardly placed start and select buttons. The only edge it has on the PS2 guitar is a stronger strum bar, and that's debatable. I didn't mean to rant, but I'm really looking foward to REAL guitar controllers when GHIII and Rock Band come out.[/quote]

Really? Hammer-ons and pull-offs don't work as well (huge flaw, IMO) and my whammy bar and star power are fine but I'll give you the rest. Either way I agree - bring on the real controls for GHIII and Rock Band.

well i hadnt played in a month or two and had been stuck on carry me home. beat it first try and completed hard.
dont know if expert will get beat anytime soon. ill probably have moved on to gh 3 or rock band by then. still hammering away tryign to get the 400pt achievement. getting so close.

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']I didn't mean to rant, but I'm really looking foward to REAL guitar controllers when GHIII and Rock Band come out.[/QUOTE]

Then you are going to be disappointed, since they aren't putting "real guitar" controllers with GH3 or Rock Band.

The Xplorer is fine for what it is. Really - "star power that doesn't work?" Bullshit. You do know how to activate it, right?

Just got this today as an early birthday present from the gf. Very cool. Played for about 3 hours with it. My favorite song thus far is "Carry on Wayward Son," but it's also the song I knew best beforehand.

I also found out that I play guitar left-handed. Who knew?

bread's done
Back