Halo 3 - General Discussion & Info

[quote name='BREVITY']I was one of those who rushed right out and got all 1000 pts in Halo 3 to get a Katana. Then like so many others I got burned out and have not put the game in for six months or more. When I was reading through a game mag last night I read that you could get new achievements via the new maps and that would lead to recon I got buzzed to play again though I know I will suck ass starting out. So I ask how hard are the vidmasters to get?[/quote]

They require time, not skill.

[quote name='specialk']Awesome on the new maps...any word on if the legendary maps are ever supposed to be free?[/quote]

Don't count on it till the next map pack comes out in first quarter of 09.

A few posts in the deals forum claim the legendary maps won't ever be free. Is anybody taking advantage of the deal going to play Halo 3 tonight? I'm still not sure how I join games with other people in the Halo CAG group.

They're really trying to stretch out who gets the Legendary Map pack for pay, and are trying to hide the fact that they will be for free someday. And the longer it goes without it being announced, the more people will cave. And them dropping the price on it again is evidence of them trying to stretch it.

too bad blackout is a shitty lockout remake
and the only level worth playing is avalanche(more for big team and CTF/Assault)
and Ghost Town...

all they need to do is remake Halo 2 maps and the game will be back in business
where's my sanctuary, beaver creek, midship, and ascension, turf would be nice too

Based on their past remakes of Halo 2 classic maps, and subsequently fucking them up, I don't have faith in even the H2 maps bringing me back to this game.

[quote name='Trakan']Based on their past remakes of Halo 2 classic maps, and subsequently fucking them up, I don't have faith in even the H2 maps bringing me back to this game.[/QUOTE]

No kidding, can they literally make a map exactly how it used to be for once? Please?

[quote name='greyzieoriental']too bad blackout is a shitty lockout remake
and the only level worth playing is avalanche(more for big team and CTF/Assault)
and Ghost Town...
[/QUOTE]

What's wrong with Blackout(other than it never showing up in playlists)?

I wish they just put a team of 10-15 guys on just remaking maps from both Halo & Halo 2. Surely they could pump out a map a month. That way nearly every map from the first two games are all in Halo 3.

[quote name='Corvin']What's wrong with Blackout(other than it never showing up in playlists)?

I wish they just put a team of 10-15 guys on just remaking maps from both Halo & Halo 2. Surely they could pump out a map a month. That way nearly every map from the first two games are all in Halo 3.[/quote]

Why does every remake map have to be so huge? All of Lockout's nuances are gone. They took away being able to shoot through the window in the room above the sword spawn, you can't make certain jumps anymore. Just stuff like that bothers me.

I promised not to complain about the lack of maps as long as they included Zanzibar. High Ground is probably my new favorite. CTF and Assault rule.

fuck it, I want Sanctuary and Terminal from Halo 2.

Last edited by a moderator:
How many of you have gone back and actually played those Halo 2 you "miss" so much? I'll tell you what - after I went back and did just that, I came to appreciate the awesomeness of Halo 3's maps even more.

Blackout is exactly the same as lockout except with a cooler looking texture. If you can't superjump/glitch on it anymore, that's your problem.

[quote name='captmurphy']How many of you have gone back and actually played those Halo 2 you "miss" so much? I'll tell you what - after I went back and did just that, I came to appreciate the awesomeness of Halo 3's maps even more.[/quote]

A bunch of times. I love it and still say it's better than H3 in almost every way.

[quote name='Danil ACE']Blackout is exactly the same as lockout except with a cooler looking texture. If you can't superjump/glitch on it anymore, that's your problem.[/quote]

The "cooler" looking texture can be argued, but no, it's not the same at all. It's way bigger, and like I said, there's a lot of small changes. They closed the window in the room above the sword spawn and there are a lot of strategic jumps that you can no longer make. I am not talking about superjumps either.

[quote name='Trakan']Why does every remake map have to be so huge? All of Lockout's nuances are gone. They took away being able to shoot through the window in the room above the sword spawn, you can't make certain jumps anymore. Just stuff like that bothers me.[/quote]

I agree, I miss some of the game changing jumps on that map, but they added new ones to compensate. Going from BR 1 to BR 2 is just one example of this.

[quote name='Danil ACE']Blackout is exactly the same as lockout except with a cooler looking texture. If you can't superjump/glitch on it anymore, that's your problem.[/QUOTE]

i've actually never been able to super jump on any level, never really looked into it, anytime that i would super jump was by pure accident

the problem i find with blackout:
the bottom floor doesn't go all the way through like the lockout(instead they add that computer room for an extra corner)
you cant shoot out the window by the basketball court, the lift is very slow
the extra fencing around the middle top floor
and that's the only things that really bother me
according to bungie its supposed to be like 95-98% faithful to the original, i call bullshit
this was one of my favorite levels in Halo 2 now i couldn't care for it

Last Resort is a great example of how a remake should be, didn't enjoy it back then as much as i do now

[quote name='greyzieoriental']i've actually never been able to super jump on any level, never really looked into it, anytime that i would super jump was by pure accident

the problem i find with blackout:
the bottom floor doesn't go all the way through like the lockout(instead they add that computer room for an extra corner)
you cant shoot out the window by the basketball court, the lift is very slow
the extra fencing around the middle top floor
and that's the only things that really bother me
according to bungie its supposed to be like 95-98% faithful to the original, i call bullshit
this was one of my favorite levels in Halo 2 now i couldn't care for it

Last Resort is a great example of how a remake should be, didn't enjoy it back then as much as i do now[/QUOTE]
how do you superjump by accident? most of them have like 5 very involved steps. I always wondered how people found them in the first place.

I like Halo 2 better also, but I don't play it much anymore. The maps were so much more simple in Halo 2, but I feel like they were made with love.:)

I'm going to try and hold off on buying the new maps at least until Halo Wars comes out since I'd rather just pick up the LE of that, I think.

If you've played 10x more Halo 2 than Halo 3 of course you are going to like the H2 version of the maps more. No big surprise there. :roll: You know the map like the back of your hand and any little difference is going to bug they shit out of you.

Maybe bungie should concentrate more on making good new maps than rehashing old designs...

[quote name='Danil ACE']The "Black Friday" gametype is such GARBAGE. Only plasma pistols....LAME[/quote]

I liked Black Friday and Turkey Carvers, but I have no idea what Wishbone Brawl was supposed to be.

Well, even with the maps on sale I didn't see too many people in the Halo CAG list on last night. I'm not that good and have decent fun with the public games anyway. Glad I bought the Legendary pack on sale.

[quote name='wubb']If you've played 10x more Halo 2 than Halo 3 of course you are going to like the H2 version of the maps more. No big surprise there. :roll: You know the map like the back of your hand and any little difference is going to bug they shit out of you.

Maybe bungie should concentrate more on making good new maps than rehashing old designs...[/quote]

It's not just that I like the H2 version more, it's that they fucked up the H3 version of the map.

Bungie has already proven that they lost it. They can't make new maps to save their lives. I don't know if they have all different guys working on it or what, but H3's maps overall are terrible.

In Halo 2, I can only pick out two or three that were so bad I didn't even want to play them. In Halo 3, there are maybe two or three maps that I like playing in the whole game.

I'm a huge Halo fanboy. I wanted to love H3. I just can't. It's no good.

[quote name='turls']Well, even with the maps on sale I didn't see too many people in the Halo CAG list on last night. I'm not that good and have decent fun with the public games anyway. Glad I bought the Legendary pack on sale.[/QUOTE]

If you see me on send me an invite. I've been on a bit lately and been lucky enough to team up with fun randoms most days.

Not much else going on so here's my take:

Maps I can live without:

Halo 2 - Colossus, Headlong, Waterworks, Containment, Relic, Terminal, Gemini
6 out of 25 or 24% of the maps

Halo 3 - Epitaph, Rat's Nest, Sandtrap
3 out of 18 or 16% of the maps

Personally I think it's a shame that Foundation hasn't made a return. That was a brilliant map for nearly every game type. As for maps we haven't seen since Halo 1, I'd have to go with Damnation.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Corvin']Not much else going on so here's my take:

Maps I can live without:

Halo 2 - Colossus, Headlong, Waterworks, Containment, Relic, Terminal, Gemini
7 out of 25 or 28% of the maps

Halo 3 - Epitaph, Rat's Nest, Sandtrap
3 out of 18 or 16% of the maps

Personally I think it's a shame that Foundation hasn't made a return. That was a brilliant map for nearly every game type. As for maps we haven't seen since Halo 1, I'd have to go with Damnation.[/quote]

This posts just proves the subjectivity of this matter. I for one loved Gemini and Colossus.

Oh shit. Colossus... I must have had it mixed up with another map. Just googled it, and I love that map. Another one that would rock in Halo 3.

Relic and Terminal were awesome for being DLC maps.

The Bungie forums are full of people clamoring for H2 remakes. I think a high percentage of the fanbase hold the H2 maps in higher regard.

[quote name='Trakan']In Halo 2, I can only pick out two or three that were so bad I didn't even want to play them. In Halo 3, there are maybe two or three maps that I like playing in the whole game.

I'm a huge Halo fanboy. I wanted to love H3. I just can't. It's no good.[/quote]

Honestly, I have never played a map in any Halo game that I outright hated. Although, I will say that Backwash in Halo 2 and Cold Storage in Halo 3 were less than stellar.

The only thing I don't like about Halo 3 is that Infection gametype. It's garbage IMO.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']

The only thing I don't like about Halo 3 is that Infection gametype. It's garbage IMO.[/quote]

That should be expected, since it was invented by 7 year olds (Zombies from Halo 2) and played by 6 year olds.

I hope that Bungie just makes a HD remix of Halo 2.

Don't fuck with the maps or physics or x button, just make everything pretty like Halo 3.

Sell it for $20, I bet it'd be number one on Live.

Halo 3 = garbage

I wouldn't go so far as to say Halo 3 is garbage, it's definitely different from Halo 2. Of course Halo 2 was a pretty big accomplishment in terms of online first person shooter games.

It got almost everything right and what it didn't it fixed. And after it, many games basically became copies of its online play.

Halo 3 is more balanced to me. Not that Halo 2 wasn't, but I don't know if it's the competition in 3 or 2, or it could be something else but I've barely played with any real consistency and I'm a 38 in Lone Wolves. In Halo 2 I think my highest level was a 31 or 32. In terms of online multiplayer it's extremely hard to improve on Halo 2. I agree that I like Halo 2 more than 3, but 3 is still a great game to play online. I think it's a little more team based as I've never really seen anyone in a regular slayer match get more than 24 or 25 kills. Also it was pretty rare, but I hated the whole standbying and modder thing although it was a very very small problem.

[quote name='zewone']I hope that Bungie just makes a HD remix of Halo 2.

Don't fuck with the maps or physics or x button, just make everything pretty like Halo 3.

Sell it for $20, I bet it'd be number one on Live.

Halo 3 = garbage[/quote]
Halo 2 had the most garbage multiplayer out of all the Halos. Online was full of superjumpers, BXRers, BXBers, standbyers, etc. The starting weapon in most of the modes, aka the SMG, was/is and always will be garbage. Terrible starting weapon that can barely keep you alive long enough to get a better weapon in a heated online match. The sword was extremely overpowered, the sniper was overpowered (quick sniping), the needler sucked, etc.

I can go on and on, but Halo 3 is such a huge improvement in physics and overall gameplay over Halo 2, that there is no reason to go back (except perhaps for a few maps).

Those who want Halo 2 can just put the disc into their 360 and play it. It looks significantly nicer on the 360 than it does on the Xbox.

[quote name='Danil ACE']Halo 2 had the most garbage multiplayer out of all the Halos. [/I][/QUOTE]

Ahahaha. I stopped reading after this opening line.

[quote name='zewone']Ahahaha. I stopped reading after this opening line.[/quote]
That's a shame because unlike you, I actually listed the reasons which make it garbage in my eyes in comparison to the other Halos.

[quote name='Danil ACE']Halo 2 had the most garbage multiplayer out of all the Halos. Online was full of superjumpers, BXRers, BXBers, standbyers, etc. The starting weapon in most of the modes, aka the SMG, was/is and always will be garbage. Terrible starting weapon that can barely keep you alive long enough to get a better weapon in a heated online match. The sword was extremely overpowered, the sniper was overpowered (quick sniping), the needler sucked, etc.

I can go on and on, but Halo 3 is such a huge improvement in physics and overall gameplay over Halo 2, that there is no reason to go back (except perhaps for a few maps).

Those who want Halo 2 can just put the disc into their 360 and play it. It looks significantly nicer on the 360 than it does on the Xbox.[/quote]

For every one person that was good at superjumping or BXR there were 100 that didn't know shit about it. I can say that after playing over 8000 games of H2 multiplayer that I really didn't have much of a problem with those people. It defintiely was not enough to call the game garbage. The SMG was probably the best starting weapon of any game. You're not supposed to start with the most powerful weapon on the map or a weapon that can kill people from across the map (unless it's a map like Waterworks, then a BR spawn is fine.) The sword was overpowered, but it's nothing that wasn't manageable. The sniper complaints are a bit of a stretch. Who cares if the needler was underpowered? Who uses the needler?

H3 sucks. The melee is better than it was pre-patch but it's still broken. There are so many times when I should have won a fight when it came out in a tie. It feels like there's weights on your ankles compared to any other Halo game. You move way too slow. The AR is far too powerful of a spawn weapon. The game has a much slower pace than H2. The maps suck in comparison. They completely ruined the sword. They should have either gave it an energy bar or made it slower, not both.

H3 caters to the more casual Halo player.

I preferred 2 over 3 for some time, but after selling my 2, and playing 3 for awhile, when I got 2 again, I couldn't help but notice how terrible it looked and felt. Yeah, there are some maps I missed, but 3 feels and looks just so much better. 2 had some awesome memories but with all the glitches and shit now, it's just not that fun. Also trying to get a game on h2 anymore is not always easy.

Just my 2 cents anyway. ;)

[quote name='Trakan']H3 caters to the more casual Halo player.[/QUOTE]
ding ding ding

you hit a lot of the things i couldnt put my finger on, the weights on ankles is dead on.

bread's done
Back