Halo 3 - General Discussion & Info

[quote name='dastly75']http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&link=ournextgame

New Trailer^^

according to 1up liveblog, the new maps wont be available till Halo 3 Recon comes out aka fall 09[/quote]

Now that is terribly disappointing, because they already showed one map at one of their events.

Actually, on second thought, it may be for the best. Really, Gears 2 comes out in less than a month, meaning that if they released the new Halo maps now, then they would be overshadowed. I'd rather just thoroughly enjoy Gears of War 2 for a year and then experience Halo 3 Recon as it if is a new Halo game.

I'm down for doing the vidmaster annual achievement.

If you add me just make sure to send a message saying why your adding me so I remember its from here.

A year away is a long time, but it fits in with the talks I heard awhile back about them alternating between Gears and Halo. I'll check out the trailer when I get on Live.

I hope it is a seperate disc with it's own multiplayer mode, rather than just DLC that has a campaign mode. If the gameplay is different, I would like to have the chance to use it in multiplayer, and would gladly pay the full price for a more complete game.

[quote name='sj41']A year away is a long time, but it fits in with the talks I heard awhile back about them alternating between Gears and Halo. I'll check out the trailer when I get on Live.

I hope it is a seperate disc with it's own multiplayer mode, rather than just DLC that has a campaign mode. If the gameplay is different, I would like to have the chance to use it in multiplayer, and would gladly pay the full price for a more complete game.[/quote]

This should answer your questions:
halorecon_noesrb_fr.jpg

[quote name='LinkinPrime']This should answer your questions:
halorecon_noesrb_fr.jpg
[/quote]

That is sexy for two reasons.

1. It looks orgasmic.
2. New CD means its not only substantial, but might have a new engine! New engine = better graphics and hopefully better gameplay!

[quote name='help1']That is sexy for two reasons.

1. It looks orgasmic.
2. New CD means its not only substantial, but might have a new engine! New engine = better graphics and hopefully better gameplay![/quote]

No way it will have new engine/graphics...its an expansion like Shivering Isles was for Oblivion, I'm sure it will hit the Marketplace at the same time or soon after it releases.

That cover is badass, and it's good to see that it will be standalone. I think they're basically doing what the Tom Clancy games (Rainbow Six 3, Ghost Recon) were doing on the original Xbox by releasing the game, and then a standalone expansion pack.

I wouldn't count on a new engine, since they already spent so much time and money on the original engine, and the graphics looked the same for the teaser trailer. I'm okay with that, though, as I think Halo 3 looks great.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='LinkinPrime']What time?[/quote]

Whenever you guys are available I guess. I have nothing to do tonight, done with all my homework:D. 9:00 PST?

[quote name='LinkinPrime']No way it will have new engine/graphics...its an expansion like Shivering Isles was for Oblivion, I'm sure it will hit the Marketplace at the same time or soon after it releases.[/quote]

How about an improved engine?

I would like that.

[quote name='greyzieoriental']wow this is disappointing, what was all the BS clues about 1-6-09
we need new maps already[/quote]

Maybe the VidMaster achievements are connected to that date?

[quote name='greyzieoriental']wow this is disappointing, what was all the BS clues about 1-6-09
we need new maps already[/quote]

The 1-6-09 are probably the maps. This wait is going to take for fucking ever. At least Gears 2 is coming out.

I really don't understand the whole silenced sub-machine gun thing. If this is still according to the Halo universe wouldn't the ODST be shot down and teabagged by now? I really hope it's some other gun and not a sub-machine gun from Halo 3. Seriously, even if you dual wield you are still going to fail miserablely.

As for the trailer and the general announcement, I'm kind of excited for this. Like people have said, hopefully there is a new engine. I can still see this as being very successful; its a freaking Halo game.

[quote name='eliter1']Whenever you guys are available I guess. I have nothing to do tonight, done with all my homework:D. 9:00 PST?[/quote]

If you guys still want to do it tonight it would have to be more like @ 10:00PST since the office is on.

Oh man, I am so freaking excited for Recon! The premise sounds awesome. I'm anxious to hear the back story of this new "hero". Can't wait for next fall.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Well that settles it...its not a direct expansion like I thought, I assumed that remaining achievements and mythic were part of Recon. Looks like we need a new thread...I'll start it up.

EDIT: New Thread
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199775[/quote]

That pretty much lends its self to a new/improved engine.

Also, it seems like there will be a gameplay mechanic that is changed. Can anyone say healthpacks?

[quote name='help1']Also, it seems like there will be a gameplay mechanic that is changed. Can anyone say healthpacks?[/QUOTE]

No way. No self respecting FPS using healthpacks anymore.

Here's buncha new info on Halo 3: Recon

http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=15806

What is Halo 3: Recon?

Halo 3: Recon is a standalone, disc-based campaign expansion to Halo 3. It will be available at fine retailers around the globe in Fall of 2009.

I read on some Liveblog that Master Chief got out of the drop pod?

Negative, ghost rider. Instead of playing as the Master Chief (like players did in Halo, Halo 2 and Halo 3) in H3: Recon, players take control of an ODST (an Orbital Drop Shock Trooper) who entered orbit just after the slipspace rupture on New Mombasa (that event, you recall, took place as Regret left the planet – and in Halo 2, you followed him as the Chief). Now, players will learn more about what happened on New Mombasa during some of the events of Halo 2.

Is Halo 3 : Recon a 3rd person / squad based shooter?

Nope. "Recon" is definitely first person and it's definitely still a Halo game as you've come to know it. That said, playing as an ODST in this new setting will bring some new twists to the gameplay.

How much will Halo 3 : Recon cost?

The price point has not yet been determined. While there will be a lot of content to enjoy and a great deal of replayability, this is still viewed as an expansion to Halo 3 more so than its equal.

We saw Assembly at PAX 2008, when will we get more downloadable content for Halo 3?

The Mythic Map Pack will be made available via Xbox Live Marketplace in early 2009. “Winter,” as they say. As soon as we have more details we will certainly share them.

Will the Recon campaign content or the other multiplayer maps be available through Xbox LIVE Marketplace?

Beyond the Mythic Map Pack early next year, there are no plans to release other portions of the Recon package outside of the retail box.

Is there a multiplayer component to Halo 3: Recon?

There are multiplayer maps that will appear as a part of the Halo 3: Recon package. This includes the aforementioned Mythic Map Pack in addition to a few others. You can also experience the entire Recon campaign cooperatively with up to 4 players.

Will we get to play as ODSTs in multiplayer now?

No. The multiplayer maps included with the retail package are straight up Halo 3 multiplayer maps. The ODST and other components that make up the Recon campaign are in a separate bucket and not crossing over into the competitive multiplayer realm. Think of it as two games in one.

Will the Halo 3 : Recon multiplayer maps work with "regular" copies of Halo 3?

If you purchase the Mythic Map Pack early next year via Marketplace and your friend waits and gets them with the Halo 3 : Recon retail package next Fall, you can still play together. The multiplayer maps are all part of the Halo 3 "title ID" family, regardless of where or how you get them.

What about other features from Halo 3?

Halo 3: Recon will still make use of Screenshots, Forge and Saved Films just like Halo 3 does.

Will Halo 3 : Recon have new achievements? Are these the same as the ones already "leaked" online?

There are actually two separate buckets for new achievements. The multiplayer achievements will be considered additive to your existing Halo 3 gamerscore. Some of these will be available when the Mythic Map Pack is released on Marketplace early next year. The Recon campaign will include a complete set of unique achievements and a full bounty of 1000 gamerscore to obtain.

This dude at 7-11 told me that there’s a new Campaign version of Forge coming?

Get your Slurpee somewhere else. The maps included with Halo 3: Recon certainly support Forge and the functionality it affords players. But, there isn’t a new Campaign Forge being added to the Halo 3 experience.

I read somewhere that this is the last Halo game Bungie is making. Say it isn't so!

We're not ready to discuss the other projects underway within the studio right now but Halo 3 : Recon does represent the final basket of goodness that we will be delivering for the Halo trilogy. There are no more offshoots or side stories in the works.

Is this the game that Bungie was intending to announce at E3?

Yes, we are happy to finally be able to pull back the curtain and share our latest project with our fans.

Will Halo 3 : Recon still use the Halo 3 engine?

Yes, this is very much an extension of the Halo 3 you have come to know and love complete with all the features included with the original game.

Is this all Bungie has been working on since becoming independent last October?

"Recon" represents one of several projects that we have underway within the Studio but it's the nearest to release and the only one we're able to talk about for now.

If this is an expansion built on top of the existing Halo 3 engine, why will it take two years to create?

Development of "Recon" actually just began in earnest this past Spring. This project is in the hands of a small team and represents our most ambitious release cycle yet as a Studio.

Even if it's only half a new game, I'm in. 4 player coop campaign I'm down for. Now the question: Do I buy Legendary Map Pack or just get it in Recon. Doesn't make much sense to pay twice for the Pack (once now and once later).

I think you mean Mythic map pack.

As I posted in the other thread, a year is too long to wait for new maps. I'll definitely be buying in January. I'll just look at Recon as a campaign purchase.

[quote name='OGHowie']No way. No self respecting FPS using healthpacks anymore.[/quote]Bioshock uses health packs, and it respects itself a lot.

Out of that interview, I got that it's going to be a normal FPS Halo game, it might cost less than $60, the maps are coming soon (but you will be paying for them twice if you buy the DLC and Halo 3 Recon), and there won't be a new Halo multiplayer, as they're saying it will just be maps.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='sj41']Bioshock uses health packs, and it respects itself a lot.[/QUOTE]

True, but Bioshock was a slow deliberate affair where health packs/stations work. They just don't work in run and gun FPS games anymore.

[quote name='Corvin']True, but Bioshock was a slow deliberate affair where health packs/stations work. They just don't work in run and gun FPS games anymore.[/quote]

Bungie has said that H3R will not be a run and gun FPS and will focus on stealth gameplay.

I will bet that cold storage and the legendary map pack will be on the Recon disk as well. That way non-live players can get the extra maps for local/lan play.

OK, so as an aside from the Recon talk, I recently found out that I had unlocked the Security helmet and Katana chest, but I only had 965 GS for Halo. At the time, I had 48 achievements for the 965 GS, and I had security, when obviously you are supposed to have 1000 GS... My question is did the new achievements affect this? Or, could the Vidmaster achievements maybe unlock this armor? I now have 1040 GS with 51 achievements, and the armor hasn't disappeared or anything, so I am left a little confused.. I haven't found anything about this by googling either.

[quote name='mrcheapo11']OK, so as an aside from the Recon talk, I recently found out that I had unlocked the Security helmet and Katana chest, but I only had 965 GS for Halo. At the time, I had 48 achievements for the 965 GS, and I had security, when obviously you are supposed to have 1000 GS... My question is did the new achievements affect this? Or, could the Vidmaster achievements maybe unlock this armor? I now have 1040 GS with 51 achievements, and the armor hasn't disappeared or anything, so I am left a little confused.. I haven't found anything about this by googling either.[/quote]

Getting 1000 GS makes the security helmet/katana temporarily appear. You have to have all 49 original achievements for it to stay unlocked.

[quote name='dastly75']Bungie has said that H3R will not be a run and gun FPS and will focus on stealth gameplay.[/QUOTE]

I don't recall that ever being said. You're going to have to come with a link on that one. What I've read is that the gameplay will bring in new tactics and will force you to be more careful in battles. Not to mention they've said it will be the same Halo gameplay everyone's come to expect. To me, that does not equate to stealth gameplay.

[quote name='Corvin'] Not to mention they've said it will be the same Halo gameplay everyone's come to expect. To me, that does not equate to stealth gameplay.[/quote]

I thought they said this part in regards to the Recon multiplayer.

[quote name='help1']I thought they said this part in regards to the Recon multiplayer.[/quote]

Recon multiplayer is Halo 3 multiplayer, Spartans and all. That was mentioned in the big quote post a few days ago.

[quote name='help1']I thought they said this part in regards to the Recon multiplayer.[/QUOTE]

Fair enough, it could have been, everything tends to bleed together when you read too much. I still haven't seen a single article/press release that ties Halo & stealth together though.

bread's done
Back