Halo 3 - General Discussion & Info

[quote name='doubledown']I'm still enjoying the Beta....the needler has to be one of the most powerful weapons in the game now....maybe they will balance that a bit more. I cannot imagine if I had Dual Needlers (only found one at a time).

Anyways, good times....played a little Rumble and a little team. No custom stuff yet.[/quote]

they made the needler more powerful and took away the ability to dual-wield with it. The needler is a joke no longer.

New info on armors:

The article on this Canadian newspaper revealed that there will be different armors for you to wear in Halo 3 multiplayer. The story revealed two of them; the CQB (close-quarters battle) and the EVA (extra-vehicular activity) armors. It seems you’ll be able to choose a certain type of battle armor for your Spartan to wear, with these armors providing certain strengths (ex: melee combat) while also make you more vulnerable in other areas as a required trade-off that assures a balanced gameplay.

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/13635/Halo-3-Canadian-Newspaper-Reveals-Spartan-Armors/

I don't like what I'm hearing here...that means that if you normally take someon out with a single shotgun blast at close range, its going to take more than one shot to take a specific Spartan out there with the close combat armor. This really sucks if true.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']New info on armors:

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/13635/Halo-3-Canadian-Newspaper-Reveals-Spartan-Armors/

I don't like what I'm hearing here...that means that if you normally take someon out with a single shotgun blast at close range, its going to take more than one shot to take a specific Spartan out there with the close combat armor. This really sucks if true.[/quote]
Why's that a bad thing? You should be able to see the different types of Spartan armor and adjust accordingly.

More variety? Yes, please.

that's fucking awesome. i don't see how that's bad at all. You can customize up the ass dueling different classes of spartans and shit. awesome.

[quote name='zewone']I have to agree that different armor stats is lame.[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

I really don't think this well sit well AT ALL with the hardcore Halo community, the tourny players specifically.

I can see this being another "duel-wielding" thing. Bungie is changing how Halo plays, and for the most part, people aren't up for that.

I just hope there's an option to turn off the abilities (if Bungie has any sense they will) and just feature the different looking armor with no specific characteristics.

Don't see why it's bad either...you can always get the same armor so you'll need just as many shotty hits. It will add more strategy in clan wars and stuff also...I wonder what the vehicle one will do lol. Maybe faster reloads on cannons, longer boosts, and stronger shell or something

It's not about what the other does for you, it's about what the armor does for your enemies. You'll no longer know how many BR shots it will take to kill an enemie or if you have enough ammo in your shotgun to take him out. It just leads to a sort of randomness that to me would seem less intense and more wacky.

Kind of like playing Fiesta.

That's my whole complaint as well. Its nice to know that "X" amount of shots takes down someone, but having to figure out what weapon to use against what armor, is going to take the fun away of this fast run and gun game.

Hopefully they aren't turning Halo 3 into Perfect Dark Zero, where you had to spend 2 minutes shooting pieces of armor of someone before they even become vulnerable. But yeah, this new armor doesn't sound too good, please do NOT make it so that guys can take multiple headshots. Sure, it's nice if you have some goon taking potshots at you with the assault rifle, I can understand that the armor would help in that way, but don't make it so that massive headshots don't kill someone.

Yes, I'll wait and play team fortress when it comes out. Don't change the fundamentals of halo. I see it's status as a tourney game fizzling out if this is true.

Nowhere in the actual article does it state anything about special abilities with these different types of armor. Team Xbox if full of shit.

Any questions?

[quote name='LunaticPuma']Nowhere in the actual article does it state anything about special abilities with these different types of armor. Team Xbox if full of shit.

Any questions?[/quote]

Hmmm...maybe the link I posted is not to the same article. Sorry guys. Lots of good info there anyway.

[quote name='zewone']I have to agree that different armor stats is lame.[/QUOTE]Yeah. I don't want a pseudo-class system being imposed on Halo.

I agree that it's kind of lame, but at the very least let them release what the actual stat changes are before everyone gets pissed.

I mean, now that I think about it, it could be something as small as rockets locking on with the vehicle armor, or the shotgun having more ammo with the close quarter armor.

The shields/life might be exactly the same. It could be that you gain "X" ability, but lose "Y" abiliity.

[quote name='JC Monkeyballs']they made the needler more powerful and took away the ability to dual-wield with it. The needler is a joke no longer.[/QUOTE]

...it was never a joke

I would venture to say it was one of the top two guns in Halo 2 multiplayer ...likewise in the Legendary Halo 1 campaign.

[quote name='rywateska']...it was never a joke

I would venture to say it was one of the top two guns in Halo 2 multiplayer ...likewise in the Legendary Halo 1 campaign.[/QUOTE]
Needler beatdowns were fierce back in the day, this guy knows what I'm talking about.

I would venture to say it was one of the top two guns in Halo 2 multiplayer ...likewise in the Legendary Halo 1 campaign.[/quote]
IT was underrated, but never was amazing. Strafing worked wonders for me...

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Hmmm...maybe the link I posted is not to the same article. Sorry guys. Lots of good info there anyway.[/quote]

Linkin- you posted the correct article from Canada. I'm just calling out Team Xbox for their silly assumptions. I read that article earlier in the day, and it says absolutely nothing about the new armors having different "abilities." Also, you're supposedly able to mix and match armor pieces. How could you realistically make that system work if different pieces of your armor are supposed to have different "powers?"

Team Xbox is simply blowing smoke until we have an authorized source saying something concrete about the armors being anything more than cosmetic.

[quote name='LunaticPuma']Linkin- you posted the correct article from Canada. I'm just calling out Team Xbox for their silly assumptions. I read that article earlier in the day, and it says absolutely nothing about the new armors having different "abilities." Also, you're supposedly able to mix and match armor pieces. How could you realistically make that system work if different pieces of your armor are supposed to have different "powers?"

Team Xbox is simply blowing smoke until we have an authorized source saying something concrete about the armors being anything more than cosmetic.[/quote]

Ah...I see now. The pictures at the bottom of the article with the Spartan that looks like he's kneeling down and the picture to the right of him both, have specific descriptions for the armor. Close Combat Quarters and Extra Vehicular Activity. True that this doesn't necessarily confirm anything but those names scare me :whistle2:s

I would venture to say it was one of the top two guns in Halo 2 multiplayer ...likewise in the Legendary Halo 1 campaign.[/QUOTE]

I'd have to disagree. H2 at a competitive level mainly features the BR, sniper, and to a lesser extent the Carbine.

The Needler's melee is the quickest in H2, but that doesn't make it one of the top guns in the game.

[quote name='specialk']Yes, I'll wait and play team fortress when it comes out. Don't change the fundamentals of halo. I see it's status as a tourney game fizzling out if this is true.[/quote]
Different armor doesnt make a difference in competitive play. Everyone is forced to use the same kind of character, thus everyone has to use the same kind of armor.

I would venture to say it was one of the top two guns in Halo 2 multiplayer ...likewise in the Legendary Halo 1 campaign.[/quote]
lol, it was probably the least used gun in H2. It was one of those guns that you would use just to laugh at the person you killed with it.

It was a joke. Its a bit overpowered in H3, but nothing that somebody who is slighty skilled cant dodge/defend against it.

Looks like Amazon, EBgames, Gamestop...etc. updated their Halo 3 cover art to this one which might actually be official as XBOX.com has this on as well:

51atrAxEVlL._AA280_.jpg

don't give my 360 another disc to eat up! lol
Actually this is a good thing - means MS didn't try to cram it on one disc. Content > Cost ftw

I love the new boxart. Very stylish. I can't believe anyone thinks it is worse than the earlier boxart.
[quote name='LinkinPrime']Check this out:

Limited Edition Packaging & Contents:
halo3-2discs.jpg

Game Disc Two...:shock:
http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2007/06/08/halo-3-finishes-the-fight-on-two-dvds-box-art-blowout/[/quote]
That is a mistake. It is one game disk and two bonus disks. Stinkles of GAF (Bungie employee) confirmed it and will probably say something in the next update about it.

EDIT:
Larger version here:
http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/image/article/795/795042/halo-3-20070608110351253.jpg

Makes me want to downgrade my pre-order to regular editions. That is some nice boxart.

so does the beta end today? or has it been extended?

im not sure where to find this out, sorry if it has already been answered.

Played last night I'd figure it was the last night to play and it turned out to be the worst time to play. Everyone was dicking around not being team players, team killing and just being retarted. Sad that out of 6 games only one was enjoyable.

[quote name='rywateska']I wonder what the game will do if you're in the midde of playing when the clock strikes midnight....I want to try it out.[/quote]

It let me finish my game at 12:07am and then after that, I couldn't join one. Then got the message that the Halo 3 beta is over, that if I want to get my FPS fix, get Shadowrun in the meantime.

I did not get to play as much as I wanted to of the beta. But it deal have more of a Halo one feel to it. I thought Halo was a much better multilayer game than 2. So the beta did get me a little more excited for this game. September can't come soon enough.

I played the beta for about 30 minutes maybe. It's alright. I'm probably looking forward to the Single Player and Co-op modes more than the multiplayer, but whatever.

bread's done
Back