Halo 3 - General Discussion & Info

[quote name='hootie']Holy shit dude...Legendary is...well, legendarily fuck ing hard! My friend and I were stuck on Tsavo Highway for nearly an hour and a half, I can't imagine how the later levels will be.

Also, I completed the game on Easy earlier, though I am confused at the ending, *ENDING SPOILERS*
how exactly does MC die? It shows him climb safely back up in front of that thing when the ship is going into space, yet he dies, and the Arbiter, who was also on the ship, lives? And I thought he was going to finally show his face....guess not.
[/QUOTE]
guess you didn't watch after the credits

[quote name='hootie']I somehow skipped the credits...some message from Bungie came up and I pressed A after about a minute of sitting there.[/QUOTE]
When you see it, all your questions will be answered.

I don't know if this has been found yet, but in the beginning of Level 2, if you walk to the end of the first tunnel instead of going through the green door (after the Brute), you come across two Marines having a funny conversation at the end of the tunnel.

The two marines are definitely voiced by Grif and Caboose from Red vs Blue.

~HotShotX

hmmm... I am now firmly convinced that Bungie needs to both learn to make better human models, lip sync (only the humans oddly enough), and the story is 'meh'... again, though, the multiplayer is all the game needs anyway since that's the good part.

Alright I thought I would come here and eat my words...

I was completely wrong about Halo 3.

Done and done.

I played for about 4 hours tonight (multi) and absolutely loved the million customizations you can do to a game, plus it helped that I actually dont suck ass at this game at all like I thought I would. Infection, CTF, Slayer, omg I was having so much fun playing with my friends.

Here's my question. I just started playing the campaign and I have really never gone through any of the Halo's cause I got bored with them. I usually go through all my FPS on the hardest difficulty but Halo 3 seems like its fucking IMPOSSIBLE to do that on legendary the first try. True or untrue? The first brute fight in the beginning after about 3 minutes of a gun fight he ran up and fucking hit me and 1 hit kill me.

Good game though, I had to come post that this was definitely worth all the hype as a multiplayer game, I dont think it reinvents the wheel, but definitely a must own.

EDIT
Should I go back and finish the other Halo games?

not a big deal really. It probably would have been better for them to include something more interesting, but I'm pretty sure most people who got the legendary were in it for the helmet case

The game is alot better then I had expected. I just tried to play that 4 player co-op with CouRageouS and whoknows and I had nothing but lag. When I first got on and joined before the game started my controler went dead. Well it told me it was unpluged but every thing worked then about 10 seconds later went dead and said it again. So I took batteries out of the mouse. I'm going to have to go get another 4 pack to put in the charger tomorrow.

Any way the ones I have are on the charger and maybe I wont lag tomorrow. Don't know why but my internet goes out around 11pm central. However that should have had nothing to do with it. Bad thing is I'm using charter but that was the first I have lagged that bad in a long time. I also about shit myself after seeing it put on Legendary. I'm still trying to get through it on normal. Maybe tomorrow(Thursday) is someone wants we can rush me through the last few parts of the game.

Campaign.... Multiplayer.... Blah blah blah... All these things are good/great but the most exciting thing about Halo3 is the video and map editing!

You know. I thought that guy in the latest vidoc was crazy about doing Shakespeare with the video editor. But it now seems the possibilities are endless . The camera is amazing! It might be difficult to operate when moving in several dimensions (at the same time). But, who cares.... Surely there is some finger-freak out there that is truly capable of making films in a semi-professional manner.

After giving Halo 3 a good day's worth of play, forge and video editing are the things impress and delight me the most. It doesn't seem too far out there that there will tons of Halo "Shorts" made by the community. Red vs. Blue was just the beginning. Think about props on the stage at some theater and then realize you can do almost the same with the Halo 3 Theater combined with Forge. Granted- There are only WMDS in Halo 3 and some factory containers. Nowhere will you find paper-maché and extensive wardrobes like those found in a playhouse.. Nonetheless; the similarities are striking.

All this talk wants me to hook my computer and its capture card up to my home theater. Halo 3 will be played for eternity! Haha. JK. But it will be a long time unless my 360 poops out :pray:

[quote name='Maynard']Alright I thought I would come here and eat my words...

Done and done.

I played for about 4 hours tonight (multi) and absolutely loved the million customizations you can do to a game, plus it helped that I actually dont suck ass at this game at all like I thought I would. Infection, CTF, Slayer, omg I was having so much fun playing with my friends.

Here's my question. I just started playing the campaign and I have really never gone through any of the Halo's cause I got bored with them. I usually go through all my FPS on the hardest difficulty but Halo 3 seems like its fucking IMPOSSIBLE to do that on legendary the first try. True or untrue? The first brute fight in the beginning after about 3 minutes of a gun fight he ran up and fucking hit me and 1 hit kill me.

Good game though, I had to come post that this was definitely worth all the hype as a multiplayer game, I dont think it reinvents the wheel, but definitely a must own.

EDIT
Should I go back and finish the other Halo games?[/QUOTE]
As far as the brutes go on legendary I found that a full clip from the assault rifle and a melee shot takes most brutes out. As for playing the other halos I would say go for it. It really is a great series.
I sorta think of the first halo as a spiritual sequel to Golden Eye in that it uses similar pacing and game play to make a great console fps experience. It really has gotten so much better since then with the multiplayer and the continued story I look forward to seeing what bungie might come up with in the years to come.

[quote name='Maynard']
Here's my question. I just started playing the campaign and I have really never gone through any of the Halo's cause I got bored with them. I usually go through all my FPS on the hardest difficulty but Halo 3 seems like its fucking IMPOSSIBLE to do that on legendary the first try. True or untrue?[/QUOTE]

If you're fairly fresh to the games I would definitely not go further than Heroic. Heroic seems to hit a pretty nice balance of challenge without seeming ridiculously impossible. After you clear that give Legendary a shot. I'm generally not interested/"hardcore" enough to clear it on the highest difficulty level, but I've been more than satisfied with everything so far on Heroic. Playing on Normal and just blowing through it would probably have left me disappointed.

[quote name='KaneRobot']If you're fairly fresh to the games I would definitely not go further than Heroic. Heroic seems to hit a pretty nice balance of challenge without seeming ridiculously impossible. After you clear that give Legendary a shot. I'm generally not interested/"hardcore" enough to clear it on the highest difficulty level, but I've been more than satisfied with everything so far on Heroic. Playing on Normal and just blowing through it would probably have left me disappointed.[/QUOTE]

Normal is a pushover until the last level. fucking died like 10 times in a row.

From the IGN 360 head editor Hilary Goldstein, he posted on the IGN boards that the "remastered" cutscenes for Halo 1/2 in the Legendary edition are not in HD. Most of the comments say the transfer is absolutely horrible, like from a VCR bad. Both games' cutscenes are in 4:3 also.

Haven't gotten around to the cinematic disc yet. Watched about half of the other disc, though.

[quote name='MSUHitman']From the IGN 360 head editor Hilary Goldstein, he posted on the IGN boards that the "remastered" cutscenes for Halo 1/2 in the Legendary edition are not in HD. Most of the comments say the transfer is absolutely horrible, like from a VCR bad. Both games' cutscenes are in 4:3 also.[/QUOTE]

couldn't agree more, just got done going through some of them about 1/2 hour ago. and they are seriously that bad, it's totally disappointing.

I played it straight from 9 until 2:30 most fun I have ever had with a game.

I would not even say I was really a Halo fan either.

[quote name='Maynard']Alright I thought I would come here and eat my words...

Done and done.

EDIT
Should I go back and finish the other Halo games?[/quote]

Since you're a Breaking Benjamin fan, here you go buddy:

Halo 1: Combat Evolved Plot Summary Part 1:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4940356546395507002&hl=en

Halo 1: Combat Evolved Plot Summary Part 2:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5031708568573034803&hl=en

Halo 2 Summary Part 1:
http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docId=-8010944792922960752&hl=en

Halo 2 Summary Part 2:
http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docId=5822553024590999867&hl=en

They are video summaries, with cut scenes and small paraphrasing of the level goals. Very nice. I watched them before picking up Halo 3 and I gotta admit, I really enjoyed it. :)

Legendary with 3 other friends isn't too bad. None of us are amazing at this game, and we've been doing fine while finishing level 7 tonight. We definitely die quite a bit, but we can get through it and the extra challenge (and gamer points!!!) is fun.

From what people have said on the IGN message boards and in the official thread here when I posted the info, the transfer seems to be worse than VHS quality.

I'm so glad I didn't get the Legendary edition now ...

Beat the game for a second time tonight. Still as awesome as the first. 7 hours this time around.

Haven't checked the videos. I doubt I will. It hurt me enough to open the Legendary edition, I wanted to keep it sealed. Oh well.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']just finished it... meh... story is a bit wishy washy. nothing stands out to me really IMHO.[/QUOTE]
The reason Halo 3 sold 1,800,000 copies in one day isn't for the story telling.

Ahhh. Brain hurts from too much Halo.

Only played like 2 ranked matchmaking games because the internet in my apartment complex is totally fucked. I yellow bar bar every game. Retarded.

And considering this is Week 1 of my term, not a whole lot of work getting done.

Campaign over Live was unplayable for me last night. So much lag that it was ridiculous. How many people had this problem? Was is just the hit on LIVE on launch, or what?

[quote name='psychobrawler']Campaign over Live was unplayable for me last night. So much lag that it was ridiculous. How many people had this problem? Was is just the hit on LIVE on launch, or what?[/quote]

prob just the hit on live

I love some of the side bits in the game with the AI characters.

At one point in the second level we killed some guys and one of the marines walks over to a corpse and starts unloading a clip into him. I thought it was an AI clitch at first but then he stops and says, "I know it's a waste of ammo, but I just can't resist!"

Then last night, in level four or give a killed one of the little grunt guys admist a pack of them. One of them yells, "Hey! He was my best friend!"

Good stuff. :)

I'm not entirely sure if the brutes say "He was my brother!" at times when you kill one of them or if it's "He was my lover!" but I think the second much more disturbing.

The story had its fair share of surprises, I just expected more detail on the forerunners/halo/etc. but it was more focused on the main characters.

[quote name='daroga']

At one point in the second level we killed some guys and one of the marines walks over to a corpse and starts unloading a clip into him. I thought it was an AI clitch at first but then he stops and says, "I know it's a waste of ammo, but I just can't resist!"
[/quote]

Yeah I remember them doing that in H2.

Wasn't going to play yesterday but my urge to kill was just too high with the amount of Halo douchebags. So I gave in and played about a dozen unranked matchmaking games by myself and I didn't find a single douchebag who didn't just drop out in any of my games. It's got to be some type of record to not hear anything offensive in those 12'ish games I played.

Anyways, if anyone wants someone for matchmaking this afternoon, feel free to shoot me up.

I played a few solo matches on LIVE and a bit of the Campaign...so far I'm really enjoying it.

I did get a NAT warning when I played on LIVE...which I found odd....anyone know why that would come up? It played smoothly though, no lag what-so-ever.

I got a NAT warning when trying to join someone else's game. It's a security issue. I've never seen it before either. But I think it was a problem with XBL.

I beat the game on Legendary last night with 3 other players online. The amount of times that we died was bananas, I can't believe people can beat this game by themselves on that setting. Unfortunately there was a connection issue during the last cutscene so we were brought to the game lobby before we could see the ending. Another thing that sucks is it didn't register the Achievement for beating it on Legendary.

I'm not sure which review it was (maybe IGN) but the 2nd to last chapter really was one of the worst experiences I ever had, just a horrible level. The 3 gamers I played with were casual so they went in blind (review free) and they wouldn't stop bitching about how they would never play that level again.

[quote name='daroga']Am I massively stupid or is it impossible to go backwards at all in a saved film of a campaign play or record actual video?[/quote]

It doesn't really let you rewind as you would think it would but pressing left on the dpad takes it back a few seconds at a time.

If you're going back to the campaign mid-mission be careful. We did that and started at the 3rd checkpoint for the first mission after playing some MP, and you won't get the achievement for beating the level doing that. Have the achievements for beating levels two on, and then one, and Normal/Heroic, kind looks funny on my tag.

Definitely up for some MP whenever, just send me a message when you guys are on.

from what i can tell your solo campaign is overwritten if you play a co-op game. man i'm having a hard time getting through, i was getting killed pretty quickly by grunts in the jungle area and getting picked off by jackals. playing on heroic, but your shields drain too fast.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']It doesn't really let you rewind as you would think it would but pressing left on the dpad takes it back a few seconds at a time.[/quote]Ah, ok. I was trying to figure it out at 1:00am this morning and it wasn't clicking real well. ;)

bread's done
Back