Halo 3 - General Discussion & Info

They should balance/fix leveling issues. Me and my friend were both 36 (and just hit 36/got it back to say the least) and we both won 7 in a row. he went up 3 levels and I went up 1 (...) but since he played less games he managed to get more, while I played more games and I only got 1. So he hit 39 and I hit 37. I understand how the system works, but considering I win 60% of my games I should have easily hit 39.

Looks like I won't be hitting 45 (or 50) before Vegas 2 is out. Oh well.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']They should balance/fix leveling issues. Me and my friend were both 36 (and just hit 36/got it back to say the least) and we both won 7 in a row. he went up 3 levels and I went up 1 (...) but since he played less games he managed to get more, while I played more games and I only got 1. So he hit 39 and I hit 37. I understand how the system works, but considering I win 60% of my games I should have easily hit 39.

Looks like I won't be hitting 45 (or 50) before Vegas 2 is out. Oh well.[/quote]

There's a bunch of shit that factors in to how much experience you get. It's not just the win itself. I don't think it has to do with how many games total you've played, but more on how you performed during each game and what place you came in. I'm guessing he outperformed you in every game.

[quote name='Trakan']There's a bunch of shit that factors in to how much experience you get. It's not just the win itself. I don't think it has to do with how many games total you've played, but more on how you performed during each game and what place you came in. I'm guessing he outperformed you in every game.[/QUOTE]

I thought I read along somewhere that k/d and MVP didn't matter. In most games I outperformed him.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']I thought I read along somewhere that k/d and MVP didn't matter. In most games I outperformed him.[/quote]

Well my friend and I played Team Slayer a while back not long after Halo 3 first came out and he was rank 8 when we started and I was one. I was MVP in a majority of the games while he only got it a few times. His general performance was worse than mine and in the end I hit rank 32 while he was 23 or 24. This was in a span of about 60 games.

I haven't seen myself or anyone I've partied with level like that since then. So I don't know but I thought I'd throw that out there.

There was some mad lag on Saturday night, I was playing Snipers/Shootys on High Ground and I kept killing off people but they weren't falling down till like a second later...it was a really weird game...then there were other lag issues throughout the night. I thought something was wrong with the servers.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']There was some mad lag on Saturday night, I was playing Snipers/Shootys on High Ground and I kept killing off people but they weren't falling down till like a second later...it was a really weird game...then there were other lag issues throughout the night. I thought something was wrong with the servers.[/quote]

Same here.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']They should balance/fix leveling issues. Me and my friend were both 36 (and just hit 36/got it back to say the least) and we both won 7 in a row. he went up 3 levels and I went up 1 (...) but since he played less games he managed to get more, while I played more games and I only got 1. So he hit 39 and I hit 37. I understand how the system works, but considering I win 60% of my games I should have easily hit 39.

Looks like I won't be hitting 45 (or 50) before Vegas 2 is out. Oh well.[/quote]

Ok, how DOES the ranking system work? I don't understand, and so far, no one I have asked has been able to explain it to me. Seems like you have to win 5 games to rank up, but you lose 1 and your fucked. Can anyone explain how it really works? Thanks

[quote name='SIUfan']Ok, how DOES the ranking system work? I don't understand, and so far, no one I have asked has been able to explain it to me. Seems like you have to win 5 games to rank up, but you lose 1 and your fucked. Can anyone explain how it really works? Thanks[/quote]

It is really quite complex, and involves some formulas. Bungie has stated they use the Trueskill ranking:

http://research.microsoft.com/mlp/apg/Details.aspx#How_to_Update_Skills

[quote name='tgk2044']AHHHHH STATISTICS FLASHBACK!!![/quote]

Yes. I never wanted to see a sigma in my life after statistics, but they didn't go away.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Any word on when the maps will be free? Spring begins on 3/20 this year...[/quote]

I'd say around the last week of march.

Just happened to get Steppin Razor last night in a Lone Wolves swords game. I happened to get two triple kills and nearly a overkill. I don't even consider myself to be a great sword user but I guess not everyone is aware of what to do in a sword clash situation.

[quote name='dastly75']Just happened to get Steppin Razor last night in a Lone Wolves swords game. I happened to get two triple kills and nearly a overkill. I don't even consider myself to be a great sword user but I guess not everyone is aware of what to do in a sword clash situation.[/quote]

Just so that I know that you know what to do...what are you supposed to do? ;)
I normally clash and try to get a different angle to get them from the side or back.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Just so that I know that you know what to do...what are you supposed to do? ;)
I normally clash and try to get a different angle to get them from the side or back.[/quote]

If you get in a sword clash you can tap B and then either keep tapping B to do a melee swing if they're close or try to do another lunge which usually gets off faster after the initial B press. Of course don't try to lose track of them as usual. After doing this a couple times it becomes pretty easy.

[quote name='dastly75']If you get in a sword clash you can tap B and then either keep tapping B to do a melee swing if they're close or try to do another lunge which usually gets off faster after the initial B press. Of course don't try to lose track of them as usual. After doing this a couple times it becomes pretty easy.[/quote]

Ah...that's right...I stopped playing this for months but I do remember dong the melee with the sword back in the day. Thanks.

That achievement glitched for me. I was playing an all swords match and unlocked the triple kill and overkill achievements but for some reason Steppin' Razor never unlocked. I even have the video and stat page to prove it =/

Yeah in swords I usually always start with melee (B) and then follow with a lunge (right trigger) if it clashes. That works pretty well for me.

I've also heard that circling to the side as you clash can get you out of the opp's view for an easy kill but I'm not skilled/practiced enough to pull it off. People do it to me here and there.

Usually if it's a sword-on-sword thing, I stick with ONLY the melee attack, no lunging. Lunges just leave you open for too long if you miss/clash.

[quote name='wubb']Yeah in swords I usually always start with melee (B) and then follow with a lunge (right trigger) if it clashes. That works pretty well for me.

I've also heard that circling to the side as you clash can get you out of the opp's view for an easy kill but I'm not skilled/practiced enough to pull it off. People do it to me here and there.[/quote]
I know what you mean. When I attempt to do this, I get lunged at before I even get a chance to move to the side.

[quote name='halfbent']Usually if it's a sword-on-sword thing, I stick with ONLY the melee attack, no lunging. Lunges just leave you open for too long if you miss/clash.[/QUOTE]

I'll have to give that a try and see what works better for me.

[quote name='Littlefields']I know what you mean. When I attempt to do this, I get lunged at before I even get a chance to move to the side.[/QUOTE]

Yep, I usually don't think to even try but when I do I always screw it up and figure I better go back to just wading straight in. But when somebody skilled pulls it on me I'm always like "Oh crap where'd he go?... And I'm dead."

I'll probably be on tonight. I'm interested in Team Objective, Big Team Battle, and Team Hardcore mostly and maybe Rocket Race or Team Doubles.

I won't be on tonight, but I am trying to get back into Halo 3. I'll probably be playing BTB most of the time. I'll keep an eye out for you, Dastly.

Ya sounds good, haven't played with you in awhile Coke. I'm not sure if I'm going to be taking my 360 home this Friday since I have Spring Break March7-16 and SSBB is coming out.

-----------
New Playlist Update: Team Swat and Grifball Tournament Hopper - read more

Article up on IGN today about Halo 3. Nothing too juicy but good for a read.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/857/857186p1.html

"The most popular armour colour amongst all online players is Steel. The least popular is... Mauve. The most popular service tag is "O07", least popular is "Q43." And the most popular emblem is the Phoenix (not toggled) while the number 6 (toggled) is the least popular."

Steel has to be the darket shade of gray right? Seems like 1 out of every 2 players use that color probably because they figure the darker your armor the harder you are to spot. I used that color until a couple days ago when I switched to all yellow for the hell of it.

My service tag is V08.

[quote name='wubb']Article up on IGN today about Halo 3. Nothing too juicy but good for a read.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/857/857186p1.html

"The most popular armour colour amongst all online players is Steel. The least popular is... Mauve. The most popular service tag is "O07", least popular is "Q43." And the most popular emblem is the Phoenix (not toggled) while the number 6 (toggled) is the least popular."

Steel has to be the darket shade of gray right? Seems like 1 out of every 2 players use that color probably because they figure the darker your armor the harder you are to spot. I used that color until a couple days ago when I switched to all yellow for the hell of it.

My service tag is V08.[/quote]

Interesting.

Is it bad that I am playing Halo 3 when I have SSBB?

Anyone up for some campaign achievements (still...)? I will be playing tonight at 10:05 EST. Just send me a friend request and we will get a game going on there. If I am not there by then, DON'T leave, as I will probably be booting up my game. I will notify you when I am on. Peace.

EDIT: forget it. Not going to be on tonight.

Don't know how long Grifball is supposed to be up, but it still is. My friends just got killionaires in their social stats thanks to Grifball. Pretty easy EXP to boot.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Is it me or are they using Griffball and its double EXP to sell DLC? I mean some people are obessed with obtaining EXP...[/quote]

I thought it was just this weekend?

BTW...its weird seeing you post without your usual Sonic avatar.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I thought it was just this weekend?

BTW...its weird seeing you post without your usual Sonic avatar.[/QUOTE]
? Are you at other boards I've posted at? I don't ever remember getting one on CAG, because I'm so lazy. Speaking of which, I think I'll go add my standard avatar right now.
I know it's only this weekend, but still, some might take the plunge knowing if they could take a huge EXP boost... oh, I dunno. Maybe I'm paranoid.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']? Are you at other boards I've posted at? I don't ever remember getting one on CAG, because I'm so lazy. Speaking of which, I think I'll go add my standard avatar right now.
I know it's only this weekend, but still, some might take the plunge knowing if they could take a huge EXP boost... oh, I dunno. Maybe I'm paranoid.[/quote]

Unless I'm confusing you with another CAG that has Sonic in their name I could have sworn you had a Sonic avatar...my bad.

Well, I finally started playing this last night. It's my first Halo game and I have no idea what the hell I'm doing. The controls seem floaty as hell but I suppose I'll get used to them in time. I got 3 Achievements from the first level - I got the "needler" one (5), the "I" one (20) and the "skull" one (10). I started Level II but got frustrated and went to bed. So far so good though...

I read somewhere that you can only get the level achievements if you play them in one sitting. How does this work? I stopped playing last night on level II in a hallway where all these guys (brutes?) were on the opposite side. I'd eventually kill them but then one guy would run at me and hit me with his staff and I'd die instantly. If I pick up where I left off I won't get the level II achievement? Is there a way to start at the beginning of the level?

Nothing like getting to the party 4812 posts in! Thanks!

[quote name='javeryh']

I read somewhere that you can only get the level achievements if you play them in one sitting. How does this work? I stopped playing last night on level II in a hallway where all these guys (brutes?) were on the opposite side. I'd eventually kill them but then one guy would run at me and hit me with his staff and I'd die instantly. If I pick up where I left off I won't get the level II achievement? Is there a way to start at the beginning of the level?

[/QUOTE]

Once you complete a level you can play that level again and start from either the very beginning or from 2 or 3 later checkpoints in that level. If you replay a level from other than the beginning then you won't get the level achievement and you won't be able to get the skull, plus probably some other stuff. But saving at checkpoints to take a break, assuming you started from the level beginning, shouldn't be a problem.

Please somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I got all the level achievements and was able to find the skulls and I didn't play many levels in one sitting. Some of the later ones are very long.

The achievements can be quite glitchy...I finished the whole game in normal, and I didn't get the completed game achievement...I went to level select to see WTF happened and I realized that one level wasn't finished so I replayed it and got the achievement. My guess is that I did quit within a check point.

Oh and BTW I finished the last level on Legendary this past weekend and saw the "true ending"

So it seems that Master Chief and Cortana were about to crash on that planet...wonder what kind of creatures where there...it sorta looked like a Death Star from far away...can't wait till the next installment

[quote name='LinkinPrime']The achievements can be quite glitchy...I finished the whole game in normal, and I didn't get the completed game achievement...I went to level select to see WTF happened and I realized that one level wasn't finished so I replayed it and got the achievement. My guess is that I did quit within a check point.

Oh and BTW I finished the last level on Legendary this past weekend and saw the "true ending"

So it seems that Master Chief and Cortana were about to crash on that planet...wonder what kind of creatures where there...it sorta looked like a Death Star from far away...can't wait till the next installment
[/quote]

Yeah, the achievements were glitchy. I had to play the final level 3 times to finally get the achievement to unlock. If you look at my gamertag, it shows that I beat the game on legendary before I beat the ninth level.

I should be on my 360 a good bit this afternoon/evening. If you see me and want to play send me an invite. I'm down for pretty much any mode I guess. However if I'm playing Phantasy Star Universe I might not be able to jump in for a while. That game has a shitty save system.

Hands on with the halo figures.
So my mcfarlane halo 3 figures showed up at my office today, and boy are they cool. Heres some pics of the chief and the brute chief fighting on my sign making table. Please ignore all office related stuff in background, lol.
Picture10.jpg
Picture8.jpg
Picture9.jpg

bread's done
Back