Halo 3 - General Discussion & Info

[quote name='KingBroly']Maybe I'm interpreting this wrong but my understanding was that the Legendary Map pack was only going to be 600 points for a day, then it'd bump back to 800 the next day. All I know is if you want to play Cold Storage in matchmaking you need the Legendary Map pack.[/quote]

I think the Bungie Day temporary Double Exp hopper at the release of Cold Storage is going to be a FFA (12 players I think?) on Cold Storage (+ some other maps as well I assume). Then yeah, after that it will pretty much require the Legendary Map Pack it seems, but if we're lucky it'll be integrated into all the hoppers.

[quote name='Draekon']I think the Bungie Day temporary Double Exp hopper at the release of Cold Storage is going to be a FFA (12 players I think?) on Cold Storage (+ some other maps as well I assume). Then yeah, after that it will pretty much require the Legendary Map Pack it seems, but if we're lucky it'll be integrated into all the hoppers.[/QUOTE]

Chill Out was a rather small map. I wonder how much bigger Cold Storage is. I couldn't see them doing 12 players if it is the same size as Chill Out.

[quote name='Corvin']Chill Out was a rather small map. I wonder how much bigger Cold Storage is. I couldn't see them doing 12 players if it is the same size as Chill Out.[/quote]

Dastly was correct saying 7 I believe. It was in the vidoc that was released recently but I just couldn't recall the correct number.

So the new map is out, so I thought I'd do a few impressions/thoughts.

- The map is not made for Assault/CTF. Why? One location is up high, one is up low. The lower one is extremely easy to get to while the upper one is extremely hard to get to.
- The map is small, so it will be great for Team Doubles, and Rumble Pit but not for Team Slayer (4+ person teams), or else it will be extremely hectic.
- Default teleporters have weird placements, and there isn't really any point of them being there.
- I haven't seen Territory locations yet, but I'm not expecting it to be any good
- King of the Hill should be great, as well as Oddball variants

Even 7 people for FFA seemed like too much.

Team Slayer with 4 people worked well in the one game I played. Two reasonably organized teams playing each other made it a lot less of a mess than FFA.

Cold Storage is always going to be free. I played it this morning and it was awesome. I didn't play Halo 1 multiplayer a lot, so I like being able to play maps from them since they're pretty much new to me.

I'm starting to get into Halo 3 more than before. I have all of the maps and it's great with friends.

[quote name='sj41']Cold Storage is always going to be free. I played it this morning and it was awesome. I didn't play Halo 1 multiplayer a lot, so I like being able to play maps from them since they're pretty much new to me.

I'm starting to get into Halo 3 more than before. I have all of the maps and it's great with friends.[/QUOTE]

thanks!

I like the map, but even with 7 people it is hectic.

I managed to kill two people with one sniper bullet which blew me away. Double head shot, went through the first guys head kept going and hit a guy in the head coming around the corner. fucking awesome. I had never seen that before. Saved that clip. :)

the double-headshot actually just happened to me in team doubles about two weeks ago while I was playing splitscreen with my friend. we were on guardian the guys crossed paths in the elevator room as i fired from the sniper perch.

[quote name='hootie']Make sure all of you download the Free gamerpics and theme today; they are availible today and today only.[/QUOTE]

Of course I just turned my 360 on today and found out about this, I hate these 1 day only things, I have a life outside of just downloading stuff for ONE particular day (thanks for nothing bungie), If they can keep the map available 4 download for the whole time they should do the same with ALL the content, doesn't seem very logical 2 me 2 screw people out of pics and themes in that way just my 2 cents.

[quote name='cruzincontrol']Of course I just turned my 360 on today and found out about this, I hate these 1 day only things, I have a life outside of just downloading stuff for ONE particular day (thanks for nothing bungie), If they can keep the map available 4 download for the whole time they should do the same with ALL the content, doesn't seem very logical 2 me 2 screw people out of pics and themes in that way just my 2 cents.[/quote]

Well the theme/gamerpics are really for bungie enthusiasts who would likely remember 7/7 anyways. You can't compare the theme/gamerpics to a map as the relative amount of value, effort, and necessity differences between them are there.

[quote name='cruzincontrol']Of course I just turned my 360 on today and found out about this, I hate these 1 day only things, I have a life outside of just downloading stuff for ONE particular day (thanks for nothing bungie), If they can keep the map available 4 download for the whole time they should do the same with ALL the content, doesn't seem very logical 2 me 2 screw people out of pics and themes in that way just my 2 cents.[/quote]

Who cares? The theme and the gamerpics suck.

I haven't checked the theme, but I can confirm the gamerpics suck. You didn't miss anything, and it's certainly not worth getting worked up about.

Yes they were but that's probably because this year they haven't unveiled their new game yet...

If anyone wants to get a solid party going, send me a Friend Request or Message on XBL.

How do I listen to people talking during the game? I can here them in the lobby before and after the game but during the game I can't hear anything.

[quote name='Blackout542']How do I listen to people talking during the game? I can here them in the lobby before and after the game but during the game I can't hear anything.[/QUOTE]

probably just a matter of people not talking during the match, namely cuz you probably have to press on the D-pad to talk in the game type your playing in.

My friend and I are trying to be in the same party. When he sends me an invite, I get the message "Unable to Join. Your settings are Open NAT, which are more flexible. Bla bla bla person sending you request may have different settings." When I send him an invite, he gets a "connection timed out" message. When we send each other chat invitations, we end up in the same private chat but then we are quickly dropped. What's the deal? We were having no problems before.

So more hinting in the last weekly update, they make it seem like they have 3 projects going on(1 of which could be an expansion and/or map pack) and that one them will be released in the winter while the last is at least two years away.

[quote name='dastly75']So more hinting in the last weekly update, they make it seem like they have 3 projects going on(1 of which could be an expansion and/or map pack) and that one them will be released in the winter while the last is at least two years away.[/quote]

Yup:

"
Future Tents
Despite whatever eased into the ether regarding what we’re working on at Bungie, speculative hunches and guesswork certainly don’t tell the full tale. I’d go so far as to say these ramblings are barely even a Prologue, not even a Foreword to the storybook we’re putting together. Rest assured, there are multiple machinations afoot at Bungie, one is so close you can feel its familiar warmth on your cheek while you sleep; another so far off and foreign that like a faint star in deep space, you can only look to the heavens as its light speeds ever closer.
Lo, there is still another."

http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=14814

An expansion for Halo 3 could be awesome, assuming they do more than just give us more maps on a disc. Maybe an updated engine? Better graphics?

[quote name='Corvin']I like the map, but even with 7 people it is hectic.

I managed to kill two people with one sniper bullet which blew me away. Double head shot, went through the first guys head kept going and hit a guy in the head coming around the corner. fucking awesome. I had never seen that before. Saved that clip. :)[/quote]

I saw a clip not too long ago that showed a guy sniping literally 4-5 people in one shot. THAT was amazing. I think it's on one of those MLG top ten videos.

[quote name='JJSP']I'm so far behind. I just started playing this.[/quote]

I would say you are ahead. Your fun is waxing, ours is waning.

[quote name='help1']
An expansion for Halo 3 could be awesome, assuming they do more than just give us more maps on a disc. Maybe an updated engine? Better graphics?[/QUOTE]

I was wondering that the other day. Wondering if we would get a big map pack disc expansion ala Halo 2 with 10 or so maps on it.

I may have mentioned it before but the coolest thing would be to see every map from Halo 1/2 in Halo 3. Halo 3 is sorely lacking Foundation action.

[quote name='Corvin']
I may have mentioned it before but the coolest thing would be to see every map from Halo 1/2 in Halo 3. Halo 3 is sorely lacking Foundation action.[/quote]
Oh my. If that happened. Just wow.

If they released all the old maps on another DVD, or something, I would cream my pants. I wonder when the "expansion" would come out? IIRC, In a recent MTV gaming news article, some reporter said he heard the words "expansion" looming about Bungie and their future projects.

Problem is that it would have to be a new disc, since it is so many maps, but then what would happen to the existing Halo maps? I suppose there could be a save on the HDD option but with so many maps... They would have to just pick and choose what maps they want in.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's worth noting the peculiarity of releasing Cold Storage for free while going hush hush on the status of the other maps in the making. We used to get regular updates on Purple Reign and the other code named maps. There was also specific mention of a significant change or addition to Halo 3's online scene in one of the weekly updates.

New maps, a custom game playlist somehow? Who knows but it's up for speculation.

There has also been rumors that Bungie would announce something at Comic Con but I have my doubts about that. When is the next possible event for Bungie to announce something this year? I remember a timer somewhere that was set to August 7th. Also I heard rumblings of a new Bungie announcement around the time Gears 2 hits which would be Nov. 7th, two days before Halo 2 came out 4 years ago actually.

[quote name='dastly75']It's worth noting the peculiarity of releasing Cold Storage for free while going hush hush on the status of the other maps in the making. We used to get regular updates on Purple Reign and the other code named maps. There was also specific mention of a significant change or addition to Halo 3's online scene in one of the weekly updates.

New maps, a custom game playlist somehow? Who knows but it's up for speculation.

There has also been rumors that Bungie would announce something at Comic Con but I have my doubts about that. When is the next possible event for Bungie to announce something this year? I remember a timer somewhere that was set to August 7th. Also I heard rumblings of a new Bungie announcement around the time Gears 2 hits which would be Nov. 7th, two days before Halo 2 came out 4 years ago actually.[/quote]

The big change to the Halo 3 online system has been kept under wraps, not many people even know about it coming. Personally, I think it might be a rank reset, or maybe reset them in a way to let everyone keep their ranks, but allow those who cannot level up anymore actually be able to do so.

I think the next big event is TGS, but that is held in Tokyo, so Bungie making one of their biggest announcements to an audience who doesn't buy their games seems silly.

[quote name='dastly75']It's worth noting the peculiarity of releasing Cold Storage for free while going hush hush on the status of the other maps in the making. We used to get regular updates on Purple Reign and the other code named maps. There was also specific mention of a significant change or addition to Halo 3's online scene in one of the weekly updates.

There has also been rumors that Bungie would announce something at Comic Con but I have my doubts about that. When is the next possible event for Bungie to announce something this year? I remember a timer somewhere that was set to August 7th. Also I heard rumblings of a new Bungie announcement around the time Gears 2 hits which would be Nov. 7th, two days before Halo 2 came out 4 years ago actually.[/QUOTE]

leipzig (sp?) is usually a good venue for game announcements. i think that's around the same time in august, too.

[quote name='jakehoss']Luke smith also said Bungie will have a big presence at PAX. maybe we will get our announcement then.[/quote]

*splooge*

whens PAX?

[quote name='YodaEXE']I would like my 3.5 minutes back please :p Good concept, bad music :D[/quote]

I thought it was pretty damn good. Reminded me of GladDos's song while parodying The Little Mermaid's song.

[quote name='Bungie']
Bungie @ PAX

Visitors to our patch of real estate can expect to find some brand new Halo 3 multiplayer conent...

For the record, we have no plans to make any big announcements or huge reveals at PAX this year. While we will have some Halo 3 multiplayer stuff for you to check out, this is not going to be the "big announcement" many of our fans are clamoring for. Rest assured that when the time is right, we will be making announcements and talking about the stuff we're currently working on. At the moment we do have three distinct projects underway within Bungie - some familiar, some not. Some on a closer horizon, some quite far off. [/quote]

Well it looks we have to wait quite a bit longer till we get an official announcement.

bread's done
Back