Halo 3 - General Discussion & Info

[quote name='Danil ACE']I'm getting tired of Bungie just remaking old maps. Make some NEW maps for once![/QUOTE]

Huh?
Mythic map: 2 out of 3 are new
Legendary Map Pack: 2 out of 3 were new
Heroic Map Pack: All 3 were new
Cold Storage: remake but free

So in the year and a half that we have gotten maps they have given us 3 remakes out of 10 maps.

I'm fine with remakes, I just wish they were a little cheaper.

Can't wait for Mythic to come out on Live. I hope Legendary then becomes free because I never bought it. Either way I'm going to get both and get back into Halo 3 again.

Both Legendary & Heroic were a rip off since Avalance and Rat's Nest are never in the regular team slayer matches. So it's more like $5 per map which is asinine. The three in Mythic sound similar in size so hopefully this pack won't suffer the same fate.

[quote name='Danil ACE']I'm getting tired of Bungie just remaking old maps. Make some NEW maps for once![/quote]

Actually, the warlock remake was remade using Sandbox and is user created.

[quote name='dastly75']and to those of us who play playlists besides Team Slayer may not find it to be a ripoff.[/QUOTE]

My point being, they should be in the regular rotation not just specific modes. They should be available in all modes. I paid my money for them, Bungie shouldn't get to dictate whether I play them or not. That's what the veto is for.

[quote name='Corvin']My point being, they should be in the regular rotation not just specific modes. They should be available in all modes. I paid my money for them, Bungie shouldn't get to dictate whether I play them or not. That's what the veto is for.[/quote]
Agreed. And i know i'll get flamed for this, but i'm getting tired of seeing BRs coming up so often. I don't care what people say, it's unbalanced when i take 3-4 shots from a BR yet i can unload a full clip AND a melee into someone yet i die and they live...seems like ever other game is BRs.

[quote name='SynGamer']Agreed. And i know i'll get flamed for this, but i'm getting tired of seeing BRs coming up so often. I don't care what people say, it's unbalanced when i take 3-4 shots from a BR yet i can unload a full clip AND a melee into someone yet i die and they live...seems like ever other game is BRs.[/quote]

Sounds to me like you aren't shooting them in the head. The BR doesn't work very well if you shoot them in the body, and the melee is not nearly as effective as the other weapons in the game. 3-4 shots is all it takes to kill somebody if you hit them in the head.

[quote name='captmurphy']Sounds to me like you aren't shooting them in the head. The BR doesn't work very well if you shoot them in the body, and the melee is not nearly as effective as the other weapons in the game. 3-4 shots is all it takes to kill somebody if you hit them in the head.[/quote]
I'm shooting them in the neck/head area, and the melee takes a good chunk of health off so the combination of the two should be able to take someone down. My problem is when BRs shows up on maps that are fairly open, it's almost impossible to not get shot when you spawn and then get away before they finish you off.

But my biggest problem is Bungie's decision to make grenades thrown right before you die disappear after about 2 seconds. Same goes with rockets, missiles, any weapon really that can be fired and go somewhere. I just don't get it...

[quote name='SynGamer']Agreed. And i know i'll get flamed for this, but i'm getting tired of seeing BRs coming up so often. I don't care what people say, it's unbalanced when i take 3-4 shots from a BR yet i can unload a full clip AND a melee into someone yet i die and they live...seems like ever other game is BRs.[/quote]

You're preaching to the choir buddy...I get pissed of when this happens to me all the time. I just figured I'm not that good at this game.

I just looked both of your guy's stats on Bungie.net and neither of you have many kills with the BR. It really is the most versatile weapon in the game if you use it correctly.

[quote name='captmurphy']I just looked both of your guy's stats on Bungie.net and neither of you have many kills with the BR. It really is the most versatile weapon in the game if you use it correctly.[/quote]

Well, here are two tips that might make the BR a little easier to own with, because as CaptMurphy said, it really is one of the best weapons in the game.

1. Grenades + headshot = happy time
2. You should aim at the body NOT the head for the first couple of shots. Then you should move your aimer to the head. The reasoning behind this is simple: First, it is easier to aim at the body, and second, the spread on the BR will actually make some of your bullets miss if you aim solely at the head, since the head is the smaller target. Once the shields are down, then you just need to land a shot to the ehad and he will be out.

It really depends on the map, but on open maps I prefer Team BR's because it allows for a more balanced map. For instance, woudl you want to have a regular team slayer match on Valhalla? No! Simply because the team that gets its BR's and organizes at the high ground will automatically win, since your grenades and AR will be no match for their team BRing. However, if it is Team BR's, then you and your teamamtes can span together and try to cooperate to out team BR the other team.

Conversely, I don't like team BR's on small maps, because team BR's makes the game one dimensional, and makes firefights less interesting.

Sorrry for so much text, but I have obviously invested a lot of time (and thought!) into halo and I really just like helping players get better, especially since this is the type of game that is much more fun when you are winning, haha.

[quote name='HotShotX']http://www.360sync.com/2009/03/04/halo-3-mythic-map-caption-contest

They're having a photo caption contest. Just register and post your entry in the comments. 3 codes for the Mythic Map Pack being given away.

If anyone would like to help my entry, find the comment left by "HotShotX" and give it a "thumbs up" make sure you're signed in when you do, or it won't register. :)

~HotShotX[/quote]
Ditto on the helping a fellow CAG member, please. HotShotX was +5 and i was +3 at one point...now he's 0 and i'm -1...yay trolls :D

Boy, am i late to this party. Ive had Halo 3 since launch, and just today played it for the first time. Epic backlog indeed. Well, i started playing it 2 days ago, but started off on Legendary difficulty for the achievements, but after 2 hours of trying to get passed level 1 (i made it to nearly the end but got tired of it), i came back to it today and beat it in one sitting on normal.

Some background, ive never played a Halo game before, i know nothing about the story, characters, etc. I enjoy FPS/TPS games when they're done well.

With all that said, when i was going through the game, up till level 7, i thought this was one great game. It has a lot of cinematic moments, good characters, great voice acting, fun gameplay (love the plasma knife and that huge knife you hit into the ground, in fact a lot of the weapons were really great), and good level design. That was until i got through level 7, which i found a lot of cheap deaths in, way too long of a level, and not as good level design. I thought, maybe its like mirrors edge with the single bad level thrown in for length? I kept on trucking and man, level 8 makes level 7 look like SMB 1-1. Level 8 is putrid in design, with a crappy maze like level and cheap deaths galore, all in the name of extending playtime. HORRIBLE. I honestly couldnt think it could get worse, but the level 9 warthog escape had me dyeing about 50 times due to panels hitting me randomly from the sky, pointer pointing me to my death, and other BS deaths designed to extend playtime. The last 3 levels killed any goodwill i had to the Halo franchise. Loved the first 6 levels, liked the story, but the last 3 levels made sure to let me know Bungie takes the cheap way out to extend playtime.

Overall i give levels 1-6 a A-, Levels 7-9 a F, and overall a C+.

Anybody who messes around in forge with the Mythic Map Pack downloaded begin having issues where items don't stay in the same exact spot they should after you end the game and then load it back up? Example:

Before (Didn't quit out of forge yet after placing everything):
http://www.bungie.net/Online/Halo3UserContentDetails.aspx?h3fileid=69132397http://www.bungie.net/Online/Halo3UserContentDetails.aspx?h3fileid=69132397
http://www.bungie.net/Online/Halo3UserContentDetails.aspx?h3fileid=69132396

After (I saved, ended the game and loaded it back up):
http://www.bungie.net/Online/Halo3UserContentDetails.aspx?h3fileid=69132432http://www.bungie.net/Online/Halo3UserContentDetails.aspx?h3fileid=69132432
http://www.bungie.net/Online/Halo3UserContentDetails.aspx?h3fileid=69132457

It's not as bad as some other times I had this happen to me, but it's very annoying and I have trouble fixing it. However skybubble on Sandbox is a completely flat ground and this shouldn't be happening what so ever.

Don't forget to mention the lag when someone else is in the game (in Forge). Host can place objects correctly but everyone else will likely not see them placed properly...only started happening after i downloaded the MMP.

i think i died on level 9 twice.

however level 7 (the ark) is tough as hell but not so much i didn't have fun.

level friggin 8 (cortana) is a crime against humanity. it is the worst level EVAR.
i wanted to punch babies for a week after that one.

i did figure out how to totally cheat it, though.

play 2 players.
park the elite somewhere safe.
run forward with the chief and die and you'll spawn next to the elite.

when area is clear advance the elite to another safe spot.

repeat until level 8 is clear.

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']i think i died on level 9 twice.

however level 7 (the ark) is tough as hell but not so much i didn't have fun.

level friggin 8 (cortana) is a crime against humanity. it is the worst level EVAR.
i wanted to punch babies for a week after that one.

i did figure out how to totally cheat it, though.

play 2 players.
park the elite somewhere safe.
run forward with the chief and die and you'll spawn next to the elite.

when area is clear advance the elite to another safe spot.

repeat until level 8 is clear.[/QUOTE]

Neat trick!

Best trick I learned to make Level 8 (cortana) easier if your solo is just skip half the stage. If you know the way your supposed to go (if your not sure you could always play the stage a few times in easy mode to get your barrings) you can run past most of the flood through about half the stage about up to the point where you get to the generators just before you find cortana. From there it's not nearly as hard to fight off the remaining flood and finish the stage. I picked up that trick (and many others) from watching videos on the high speed halo site.

The biggest annoyance in the stage (other that the stage itself) is the morphing flood. Easiest way to deal with them is melee them instead of shooting them. A solid melee hit head on should in most cases kill their crawling or turrent form. If you have an energy sword , that'll make easy work out of their tank form. This is pretty much a sure-fire way to deal with them in normal or heroic mode. Don't know how effective it'll be in legendary though since I haven't played through legendary yet.

I can't wait to see some more of these halo 1 and 2 map re-makes. If only there was a train object in Forge, so that I could re-make Terminal.

[quote name='blitz6speed']Boy, am i late to this party. Ive had Halo 3 since launch, and just today played it for the first time. Epic backlog indeed. Well, i started playing it 2 days ago, but started off on Legendary difficulty for the achievements, but after 2 hours of trying to get passed level 1 (i made it to nearly the end but got tired of it), i came back to it today and beat it in one sitting on normal.

Some background, ive never played a Halo game before, i know nothing about the story, characters, etc. I enjoy FPS/TPS games when they're done well.

With all that said, when i was going through the game, up till level 7, i thought this was one great game. It has a lot of cinematic moments, good characters, great voice acting, fun gameplay (love the plasma knife and that huge knife you hit into the ground, in fact a lot of the weapons were really great), and good level design. That was until i got through level 7, which i found a lot of cheap deaths in, way too long of a level, and not as good level design. I thought, maybe its like mirrors edge with the single bad level thrown in for length? I kept on trucking and man, level 8 makes level 7 look like SMB 1-1. Level 8 is putrid in design, with a crappy maze like level and cheap deaths galore, all in the name of extending playtime. HORRIBLE. I honestly couldnt think it could get worse, but the level 9 warthog escape had me dyeing about 50 times due to panels hitting me randomly from the sky, pointer pointing me to my death, and other BS deaths designed to extend playtime. The last 3 levels killed any goodwill i had to the Halo franchise. Loved the first 6 levels, liked the story, but the last 3 levels made sure to let me know Bungie takes the cheap way out to extend playtime.

Overall i give levels 1-6 a A-, Levels 7-9 a F, and overall a C+.[/QUOTE]

The Ark is a blast (7), big open areas, it's just long. Cortanna (8) was a bitch on Legendary (solo). The 'hog stage at the end was also fun. I didn't have any issues with it. It was very reminiscent of the Warthog stage in Halo 2(?).

[quote name='Corvin']The Ark is a blast (7), big open areas, it's just long. Cortanna (8) was a bitch on Legendary (solo). The 'hog stage at the end was also fun. I didn't have any issues with it. It was very reminiscent of the Warthog stage in Halo 2(?).[/QUOTE]

Ive never played halo 2.

I forgot to mention anything about the graphics. Since it runs at like 580p or whatever, i was not expecting much. However, most of the game time, the game looks good and sometimes looks spectacular. A few times (like level 1 near the end) looked almost embarrassing. Overall it looked good, especially for a 2007 title running in sub-HD res.

fuckin' sweet! I [begrudgingly]bought the $80 Halo Wars but haven't even gotten around to opening it. That suckers going back this week. $10 map pack, here I come.

[quote name='Corvin']fuckin' sweet! I [begrudgingly]bought the $80 Halo Wars but haven't even gotten around to opening it. That suckers going back this week. $10 map pack, here I come.[/quote]

You do know you could still sell that map pack for $30-$50 right now, right?

[quote name='MSUHitman']You do know you could still sell that map pack for $30-$50 right now, right?[/QUOTE]

Looks like $30 is more likely which brings the cost of Halo Wars down to $50 and I'd still have to drop $10 on the maps.

I'd rather just nab Halo Wars when it's $20 and pay $10 for the maps.

So I finished the Halo 3 campaign (Normal) a few days ago . . . and I can't even remember the levels (except for the Flood ships were it looks like you're inside someone's rectum) or story.

The Halo story and levels are still fresh in my mind, despite playing it over two years ago. I remember the Halo 2 story, but not really the levels.

Was Halo 3 just not as memorable or am I dumb?

[quote name='Gentlegamer']
Was Halo 3 just not as memorable or am I dumb?[/quote]

I also found it not to be very memorable compared to 1 and 2. Ah well.

[quote name='Corvin']
I'd rather just nab Halo Wars when it's $20 and pay $10 for the maps.[/quote]

Exactly. Halo Wars was, without a doubt, a rental for me. Having the map pack early would've been nice, but not $80 nice.

[quote name='Gentlegamer']So I finished the Halo 3 campaign (Normal) a few days ago . . . and I can't even remember the levels (except for the Flood ships were it looks like you're inside someone's rectum) or story.

The Halo story and levels are still fresh in my mind, despite playing it over two years ago. I remember the Halo 2 story, but not really the levels.

Was Halo 3 just not as memorable or am I dumb?[/quote]

I agree...and sadly the flood level is the one that sticks in my mind too. I hate that fucking level. I have yet to beat the game in Legendary because I stopped on that level.

Combat Evolved was awesome in every way...I remember the first time you run into the flood...the end sequence...it was just brilliant.

3 wasn't bad, I just don't think it's memorable because it didn't really have any epic "oh shit!" moments.

You guys are whack. I love the Halo 3 campaign; in fact, it is the only game I have EVER played through multiple times. I still go back and replay certain levels if matchmaking isn't going my way on occasion.

Halo : CE I've beaten at least 3 times (once for each difficulty) , Halo 3 at least 4 times (once for each difficulty and once more for the meta game achievements). Halo 2 I only beat once. I don't know why but at the time Halo 2 just didn't vibe with me very much and it was the only one that I beat on Normal only. Outta go back and replay it again though , since I know I didn't really give it much effort.

Right now I'm working on Halo 3 again , with a special challenge in mind. Restricted weapons/equipment/vehicles. Even want to write an FAQ about it (on GameFAQs) for anyone else interested in taking on the challenge.

I think you guys need to play through the original Halo again. There were some cool set pieces but you have obviously blocked out how redundant and numerous the interiors were in that game.

[quote name='Corvin']I think you guys need to play through the original Halo again. There were some cool set pieces but you have obviously blocked out how redundant and numerous the interiors were in that game.[/quote]I do remember back tracking a lot in certain levels. And the Library sucked . . . but I at least remember it. For whatever reason, the Halo 3 campaign just didn't seem to leave an impression on me enough to remember.

Over the past month, I played through Halo and Halo 2, after not playing through the campaigns for 3 years, and they were both better than I remember them. I enjoyed them both more than my Halo 3 playthrough (3rd or 4th one) that I'm currently going through (halfway through the level Cotana, one of the last ones). The difficulty of all of them have been on normal, and I've had a lot of fun with them. I've always loved Halo and played Halo 2 multiplayer a lot, but never got too attached to Halo 3. The recent Newegg deal on the Legendary Edition made me pick up a second copy of Halo 3 and get the bonus disks, which drove me to play through all of the games again.

I think the all 3 campaigns were great, but I don't think that there is much doubt that Halo: CE was the best one. I would probably rank Halo 2 as 2 and 3 as 3. It's weird saying that though, since that means that I think that the campaigns have gotten worse as each game has come out, but I don't really feel that way. The first Halo just had a special feeling about it as I was playing it, and Halo 2 looked great (especially since this was the first time I played through it in HD and with surround sound) and had a lot of cool levels, with an interesting story. Halo 3 felt much more plain than the first two.

Halo 3 had that awesome fight that involved those two Covenant AT-AT things. Swooping down on them with the Hornet was a blast.

[quote name='Halo05']Halo 3 had that awesome fight that involved those two Covenant AT-AT things. Swooping down on them with the Hornet was a blast.[/quote]

Yes! I loved destroying the scarabs, the blue-ish(?) colored explosions put me in awe.

So I ruined my Halo 3 disc by moving the console while it was spinning today. FML. Where can I get a disc-only Halo 3? Preferably cheap.

The difficulty of all of them have been on normal, and I've had a lot of fun with them.
Bungie has stated that the Halo series can be best appreciated when played on Hard. This has not stopped me from then replaying through on Legendary.

bread's done
Back