Halo 4 out November 6th!!

The reviews are indeed beyond good. They're glowing! I expected this to be good, but not "OMG BBQ Great!!" Can't wait for next week.

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']The reviews are indeed beyond good. They're glowing! I expected this to be good, but not "OMG BBQ Great!!" Can't wait for next week.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, I'd say I was cautiously excited, but with the reviews...Tuesday can not come soon enough.

Eurogamer: "Rising up through the rankings unlocks new weapons, perks and armour options, many of which have tangible competitive benefits (such as the ability to run indefinitely or to deploy a sentry turret). It's undeniable that multiplayer Halo has lost some of its purity in this fashionable move - although the playing field will even out after a few weeks when dedicated players have unlocked all of the perks"

I'm not sure I like that change. I don't play games nearly as often as most, so it will take me FAR longer than a few weeks to get even in terms of weapons and such, with everybody else. That's going to be frustrating for me.

[quote name='GUNNM']I might be the only one who could care less about MP and only care about the story. D=[/QUOTE]

I'd say I'm 90% story and 10% MP, so you're not alone there.

[quote name='crunchewy']Eurogamer: "Rising up through the rankings unlocks new weapons, perks and armour options, many of which have tangible competitive benefits (such as the ability to run indefinitely or to deploy a sentry turret). It's undeniable that multiplayer Halo has lost some of its purity in this fashionable move - although the playing field will even out after a few weeks when dedicated players have unlocked all of the perks"

I'm not sure I like that change. I don't play games nearly as often as most, so it will take me FAR longer than a few weeks to get even in terms of weapons and such, with everybody else. That's going to be frustrating for me.[/QUOTE]

There's a classic mode. I think you could just rank up in that mode and then switch over when you unlock everything if you really wanted to.

Ooh. I like that it will have classic mode. I didn't realize that was there. Problem is that I bet my friends will want to play the "Call of Duty mode". Oh well.

[quote name='GUNNM']I might be the only one who could care less about MP and only care about the story. D=[/QUOTE]

Oh no, I've never been into Halo mp. Maybe this time, though.

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']Oh no, I've never been into Halo mp. Maybe this time, though.[/QUOTE]

I'm normally not super into multiplayer but I loved the objective-based modes in Reach because you didn't need to be a superstar player to feel like you were still making a worthwhile contribution to the team.

[quote name='crunchewy']Ooh. I like that it will have classic mode. I didn't realize that was there. Problem is that I bet my friends will want to play the "Call of Duty mode". Oh well.[/QUOTE]
They've said every playlist will have "default" loadouts you can select that are tailored to that particular map/gametype. So using Infinity Slayer for example, they may have an AR Loadout, a BR Loadout, with a basic set of armor abilities to give you an idea of what to expect at higher levels (kind of like the early levels in COD). Once you unlock additional items, you can also use your own custom loadouts.

Slayer Pro will only allow you to use the preset loadouts for the playlist. I think you'll be able to choose AR, DMR, or BR with no armor abilities or radar. I'm sure other playlists are going to do the same thing (SWAT & Flood Mode come to mind).

does anyone do the mt. dew double xp codes? I enetered some and noticed i can gift them through facebook. But not sure how that works, i would rather try to get the code using the facebook way and give it away on my twitter. Has anyone done this with facebook and could tell me how it works, if this is possible?

The green positive reviews are getting me PUMPED! Too bad I'm going to be visiting my folks away from my Xbox come release though lol. I will be online later next week though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been all over the Mountain Dew Game Fuel and related promotions. I have a mini-fridge in my game-area, literally, stocked full of it. I'm pretty sure it's some kind of toxic elixir akin to 22nd century rat poison, but it has Master Chief on the can. Sold.

[quote name='tgk2044']I'd say I'm 90% story and 10% MP, so you're not alone there.[/QUOTE]
+1.
Esp. w/ no firefight. Not that I really played it much in Reach...
Was a lot of fun in ODST though, sadly lack of matchmaking made it a pain to find people to play with.

[quote name='IceBlueShoes']+1.
Was a lot of fun in ODST though, sadly lack of matchmaking made it a pain to find people to play with.[/QUOTE]
That slightly made it better, though. The matchmaking experiences I've had in Reach with Firefight have almost always been disappointing. At least in ODST it actually gave you the challenge to survive without infinite ammo and lives to earn that achievement with 3 other players who seemed to want Endure as well. Matchmaking in ODST would have just presented the disappointing experience of Firefight that Reach had one game earlier. What I'm saying is that as lame as it was that it didn't have a matchmaking setup, I enjoyed my experience in ODST much more than I did in Reach because of how many assholes you had to play with in that game. The nostalgia I have for firefight in ODST is much greater than it is for Reach.

I realize you could play Firefight limited within the voting settings, but at least one person always quits out when that happened, with them naturally broadcasting insults for voting for it before quitting.

It's disappointing that Spartan Ops replaced Firefight, but I enjoy the idea of a cooperative goal much more than just the random shooting of enemies that it became it Reach.

[quote name='Trakan']There's a classic mode. I think you could just rank up in that mode and then switch over when you unlock everything if you really wanted to.[/QUOTE]
That's great. I'm glad it won't take a title update and demands from the audience to get that.

Hopefully it won't be like Gears of War 3 or even Halo: Reach where they constantly drop and replace playlists. I just want a playlist without abilities and where everyone starts the same.

And I don't even think I can touch the multiplayer until I get that Mark VI armor.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Only One Haze']Is this game fuel the same as the Game Fuel that came out with Halo 3? That stuff was great![/QUOTE]

Yes it is, with a shiny new paint job on the can.

[quote name='The Ebbtide']It's disappointing that Spartan Ops replaced Firefight, but I enjoy the idea of a cooperative goal much more than just the random shooting of enemies that it became it Reach.[/QUOTE]

Some of the hands-on previews I've read had stated Spartan-Ops is almost like that though. They didn't mean it's literally firefight, but it seemed like it was round after round of shooting waves of enemies. Keep in mind, they said it wasn't setup like firefight, but it was wave-wave-wave-move on, and they still seemed to enjoy it.

[quote name='dirtyvu']i thought spartan ops was like spec ops. in that it's co-op missions, not a horde-like firefight mode.[/QUOTE]
I think what tgk2044's saying is that while it is a cooperative mode, they've seen write-ups about it from people who have played it that mention at certain points there will be times where you have to battle unofficial "waves" of enemies to progress forward, not all that different from Firefight.

I assume it's like how Mass Effect 3's multiplayer mode makes you 'clear' the area of enemies during certin waves (though in that situation you're in one confined area the whole game), but it seems like in Halo 4's Spartan Ops the game will make you clear an area for some objectives where enemies will respawn to a point, and then you'll move onto the next area for you next objective.

At least that's what I interpretted their post to mean. I guess we'll find out on the 6th.

by the way, the actor (Jordan Warkol) who played Froggy in Little Rascals allegedly prank called the phone # on the Craigslist posting I just listed a few posts up. Hopefully we will see an mp3 or something soon.

only a few more days....time to decide between my Newegg $44.99 preorder or the MS Store's $25 credit. Anybody have experience with these two retailers and how close to release you get video games from them?

[quote name='The Ebbtide']I think what tgk2044's saying is that while it is a cooperative mode, they've seen write-ups about it from people who have played it that mention at certain points there will be times where you have to battle unofficial "waves" of enemies to progress forward, not all that different from Firefight.

I assume it's like how Mass Effect 3's multiplayer mode makes you 'clear' the area of enemies during certin waves (though in that situation you're in one confined area the whole game), but it seems like in Halo 4's Spartan Ops the game will make you clear an area for some objectives where enemies will respawn to a point, and then you'll move onto the next area for you next objective.

At least that's what I interpretted their post to mean. I guess we'll find out on the 6th.[/QUOTE]

That's exactly what I meant.

[quote name='GamerDude316']only a few more days....time to decide between my Newegg $44.99 preorder or the MS Store's $25 credit. Anybody have experience with these two retailers and how close to release you get video games from them?[/QUOTE]

I don't have a long history of newegg pre-orders, but my copy of Dance Central 3 arrived on release day, even though it was 3 day shipping. They shipped it the day before and it arrived on day of release. I am on the east coast.

[quote name='GamerDude316']only a few more days....time to decide between my Newegg $44.99 preorder or the MS Store's $25 credit. Anybody have experience with these two retailers and how close to release you get video games from them?[/QUOTE]

The 3 orders from the Microsoft Store have arrived on release day.

Newegg sometimes on release day but usually the next day.

Anyone know if you can play the multiplayer mode on the second disc or is it just for installation and you have to play it on the first?

[quote name='tgk2044']I'd say I'm 90% story and 10% MP, so you're not alone there.[/QUOTE]
I'm probably about the same although I've liked what I've seen so far of the MP videos so I may give it some more time this go around.

[quote name='The 7th Number']does anyone do the mt. dew double xp codes? I enetered some and noticed i can gift them through facebook. But not sure how that works, i would rather try to get the code using the facebook way and give it away on my twitter. Has anyone done this with facebook and could tell me how it works, if this is possible?[/QUOTE]
I hope they didn't do the same stupid crap as with COD:MW3 and put the Dorito XP codes clearly on the outside of the bags. I think I got like 2 valid codes from about a dozen different bags I bought over the course at different stores.

[quote name='IceBlueShoes']+1.
Was a lot of fun in ODST though, sadly lack of matchmaking made it a pain to find people to play with.[/QUOTE]
I guess I haven't been paying close attention. I'm gonna miss Firefight :cry:

[quote name='The Ebbtide']That slightly made it better, though. The matchmaking experiences I've had in Reach with Firefight have almost always been disappointing. At least in ODST it actually gave you the challenge to survive without infinite ammo and lives to earn that achievement with 3 other players who seemed to want Endure as well. Matchmaking in ODST would have just presented the disappointing experience of Firefight that Reach had one game earlier. What I'm saying is that as lame as it was that it didn't have a matchmaking setup, I enjoyed my experience in ODST much more than I did in Reach because of how many assholes you had to play with in that game. The nostalgia I have for firefight in ODST is much greater than it is for Reach.

I realize you could play Firefight limited within the voting settings, but at least one person always quits out when that happened, with them naturally broadcasting insults for voting for it before quitting.

It's disappointing that Spartan Ops replaced Firefight, but I enjoy the idea of a cooperative goal much more than just the random shooting of enemies that it became it Reach.

That's great. I'm glad it won't take a title update and demands from the audience to get that.

Hopefully it won't be like Gears of War 3 or even Halo: Reach where they constantly drop and replace playlists. I just want a playlist without abilities and where everyone starts the same.

And I don't even think I can touch the multiplayer until I get that Mark VI armor.[/QUOTE]
While I agree with what you're saying about firefight in Reach, I guess you could just find a group of people that want to play together. Can't say I ever did find anyone though!

I'm planning on picking up a 360 console again for halo 4. I do have a question regarding online passes on the 360. In order to play online I know I need xbox live gold but do I need gold if I have an online pass? Thanks.

[quote name='htz']I'm planning on picking up a 360 console again for halo 4. I do have a question regarding online passes on the 360. In order to play online I know I need xbox live gold but do I need gold if I have an online pass? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

You need Gold to play anything online regardless of if the game has or requires an online pass. The online passes are game specific, but separate from Live.

I thought I read somewhere that the war games pass comes with the LE console, as well as the LE game. Anyone else hear that?

Also, I confirmed that the Best Buy and Gamestop by me are doing midnight launches. I have the console preordered at BB and the LE game at Gamestop. I'm trying to consider which will have the potential for freebies or promo items. Sometimes my gamestop does and I scored some nice Batman Arkham City swag at the midnight launch, but I've never been to a Best Buy midnight event.

So...if you miss a week of Spartan Ops, are you screwed? Or will they repeat? Or are they permanent things you can always access?

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']I thought I read somewhere that the war games pass comes with the LE console, as well as the LE game. Anyone else hear that?
[/QUOTE]

As far as I know from watching the unboxing video, It does not come with the limited edition or the war games pass, which is stupid.

[quote name='KingBroly']So...if you miss a week of Spartan Ops, are you screwed? Or will they repeat? Or are they permanent things you can always access?[/QUOTE]

No, you can play them whenever you like. The first season is on the disc I believe

Well, ebay took down my first action I let it go for 5 days and it only lasted 2. I posted a 24 hour one and it sold for 137 bucks. That is just fucking insane people pay that kind of cash for digital content. I only expected like maybe 80, but with the fotus armor package that comes only with the console and Ithe preorder goodies from gamestop and amazon, it was nice. I suggest selling the armor asap before the market is flooded.

Oh nice sig hustletron, that show is so funny.

[quote name='fatmanforlife99']
Oh nice sig hustletron, that show is so funny.[/QUOTE]

Thanks I love the show and Rafi haha.

The Halo 4 wargames pass is just for the maps right? I wasn't aware there's any online pass like EA games.

Question for you guys: I haven't been following this game at all but recent reviews have gotten my interest piqued. The last halo I played was Halo 3 and I didnt even beat it. I played a little of ODST and none of Reach. Should I play Reach before I play Halo 4? Is there major plot points that will carry to 4?

[quote name='bill123']Question for you guys: I haven't been following this game at all but recent reviews have gotten my interest piqued. The last halo I played was Halo 3 and I didnt even beat it. I played a little of ODST and none of Reach. Should I play Reach before I play Halo 4? Is there major plot points that will carry to 4?[/QUOTE]

Reach is actually a prequel to Halo 1. So you should not miss anything by not playing except for the fact that you did not play the best Halo on 360.

[quote name='DT778']Anyone know if you can play the multiplayer mode on the second disc or is it just for installation and you have to play it on the first?[/QUOTE]

Looks like disc 2 is just for installation. When booting up disc 2, the only option is to Install Disc 2. After its done installing, it says to place disc 1 back in.

[quote name='bill123']Question for you guys: I haven't been following this game at all but recent reviews have gotten my interest piqued. The last halo I played was Halo 3 and I didnt even beat it. I played a little of ODST and none of Reach. Should I play Reach before I play Halo 4? Is there major plot points that will carry to 4?[/QUOTE]
There's a prologue before the game starts, and there's also a terminal in the first level that's supposed to be unmissable; these essentially explain to you much of the key information from the previous games, and should help fill you in on the story. You'll probably miss details, but this is to be expected. It's the start of a new trilogy, so that both helps and hurts, since it follows the story of a previous trilogy, but is also forming it's own new storyline as well.

I hope the quick-time events, or I guess 'controllable' cinematic situations, aren't too abundant in this game. I just want to play a shooter game.

[quote name='The Ebbtide']There's a prologue before the game starts, and there's also a terminal in the first level that's supposed to be unmissable; these essentially explain to you much of the key information from the previous games, and should help fill you in on the story. You'll probably miss details, but this is to be expected. It's the start of a new trilogy, so that both helps and hurts, since it follows the story of a previous trilogy, but is also forming it's own new storyline as well.

I hope the quick-time events, or I guess 'controllable' cinematic situations, aren't too abundant in this game. I just want to play a shooter game.[/QUOTE]

Good to know about the prologue, I know plenty about the universe, but I just love recaps like that in games/movies, it makes it seem a bit more... epic... if you will.

As far as the QTEs, from what I've read, it's pretty much only at the beginning. But then again, I've avoided reading too much as far as reviews go, since I'm trying to avoid spoilers like the plague.

[quote name='hustletron']Thanks I love the show and Rafi haha.

The Halo 4 wargames pass is just for the maps right? I wasn't aware there's any online pass like EA games.[/QUOTE]

Correct. The war games map pass is for 3 separate dlc packs and some other dlc ( I think an emblem and maybe armor). There is no online pass

So is EGM the "we'll give a lower score because we like attention" site this time around? Or have other (noteworthy) sites joined in?

Man, I used to love that magazine back in the early-mid 90's. I figured Steve Harris resurrecting it a while back would be the best thing to happen to it in forever, but that has not been the case.

Someone already mentioned it, but Reach is a prequel to the first Halo, so you're not missing anything major for Halo 4. Halo 3 leads into Halo 4, and the terminals in Halo: Anniversary provide more background.

You can always read the plot summaries for the games over at http://halo.wikia.com. I went back and re-read the plot for Halo 2 and 3 in preparation.

bread's done
Back