Halo 4 out November 6th!!

[quote name='Ugamer_X']So, uh, Halo 4 got leaked. Make sure to keep your eye out for spoilers because the ending has already been posted to Youtube.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for letting us know, I'll have to be wary of them too as I dont want to know much about the story at all.

On an unrelated note, started replaying the whole series on Legendary to get ready for the release. Currently going through Anniversary (on 343 Guilty Spark), then waiting for my copy of 2 to get here from Amazon, then 3, then Reach. Gonna be fun!

[quote name='GamerDude316']Thanks for letting us know, I'll have to be wary of them too as I dont want to know much about the story at all.

On an unrelated note, started replaying the whole series on Legendary to get ready for the release. Currently going through Anniversary (on 343 Guilty Spark), then waiting for my copy of 2 to get here from Amazon, then 3, then Reach. Gonna be fun![/QUOTE]

Gotta make sure to swap out H2 for ODST after (spoiler?) New Mombassa gets blasted, now that's the real way to do it, haha. I'd probably recommend most people trying Halo Wars if they haven't already. I have a feeling some of the forerunner ties may help out a bit when H4 hits. If not alone for the reason it's got a great story in the Halo universe.

[quote name='tgk2044']Gotta make sure to swap out H2 for ODST after (spoiler?) New Mombassa gets blasted, now that's the real way to do it, haha. I'd probably recommend most people trying Halo Wars if they haven't already. I have a feeling some of the forerunner ties may help out a bit when H4 hits. If not alone for the reason it's got a great story in the Halo universe.[/QUOTE]

I really do need to pick up ODST as well, probably wont have time before November but definitely sometime after that.

[quote name='GamerDude316']I really do need to pick up ODST as well, probably wont have time before November but definitely sometime after that.[/QUOTE]

It's fairly short if you're not planning on going through it on Legendary. The story really just adds to the Halo 2 to 3 transition though, so i'd say it's not critical to play through, just for fun.

[quote name='tgk2044']It's fairly short if you're not planning on going through it on Legendary. The story really just adds to the Halo 2 to 3 transition though, so i'd say it's not critical to play through, just for fun.[/QUOTE]

yeah, I will snag it at somepoint for sure, been meaning to anyway

So... The 8gb install for multiplayer:

Does it have to be installed to the 360 HDD like the bf3 texture upgrade or can I install it to the attached thumb drive? My 20gb Pro is really starting to show its age.

Really impressive, I had a 20 GB till summer 11' when I finally upgraded to a 250 GB Slim. I think GS is doing double trade-in credit on consoles right now so you might be able to upgrade at a decent price

[quote name='A Happy Panda']I noticed this on Amazon when I tried to pre-order last night, I also went to Gamestop.com and Bestbuy.com and no dice there either.[/QUOTE]

It's available on Walmart.com again.

[quote name='Immortal fWd']It's available on Walmart.com again.[/QUOTE]

I ordered a copy on Amazon when they re-upped also.

Just watched the new MP video. Gotta say, the MANTIS looks ridiculously overpowered. I'm willing to come back to the franchise after they completely botched Halo 3 and Reach since I think enough time has passed where I accept that they've stupified Halo for the masses. With each game afteR H2, they've gone away from the finesse and precision based gameplay H1 and H2 had and instead have dumbed down the mechanics, made easy to use guns hilariously easy to kill with, etc.

BUT, I'm willing to give Halo 4 more of a chance than H3 or Reach.

EDIT: First time I've seen Promethean vision for an extended amount of time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMvtBXWlqX4

Looks overpowered as fuck. Granted, this is from July, they may have HOPEFULLY made some tweaks here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do we have any groups going for Spartan Ops? I can't wait to play that every week. I'll probably have people on my friends list that are going to play it, but just in case...

Hey guys I have a pre order for Halo 4 L.E. from best buy and the standard pre order from the microsoft store. I no longer need the Halo 4 L.E. because my nephews grades are slipping and his mom said nope you don't get it any more. I want the points for my self from best buy and do you think i could at least get what i paid for the L.E. on ebay or craigslist?

[quote name='AzGoat']Hey guys I have a pre order for Halo 4 L.E. from best buy and the standard pre order from the microsoft store. I no longer need the Halo 4 L.E. because my nephews grades are slipping and his mom said nope you don't get it any more. I want the points for my self from best buy and do you think i could at least get what i paid for the L.E. on ebay or craigslist?[/QUOTE]

Looking at ebay, LE copies are going for $120 - $140 right now .

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Looking at ebay, LE copies are going for $120 - $140 right now .[/QUOTE]

And may rise a bit as we get closer to release too.

Soundtrack came today. Pretty good, a little broader in scope than most of the previous stuff (ODST nonwithstanding). Hard to fully judge it until I hear how it's used it in-game though.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Soundtrack came today. Pretty good, a little broader in scope than most of the previous stuff (ODST nonwithstanding). Hard to fully judge it until I hear how it's used it in-game though.[/QUOTE]
They had 3 samples of the soundtrack, which I think were only about 20-30 seconds, on the new Xbox Music section. I really couldn't tell much from that brief of a period.

Do they retain any Halo themes or cues from the previous selection, like the piano usage or Gregorian chants?

[quote name='The Ebbtide']They had 3 samples of the soundtrack, which I think were only about 20-30 seconds, on the new Xbox Music section. I really couldn't tell much from that brief of a period.

Do they retain any Halo themes or cues from the previous selection, like the piano usage or Gregorian chants?[/QUOTE]

Was going to put something about that above...I'll spoiler it just in case, people get weird about this kind of stuff.

Minor music spoilers...

Much to my surprise - no sign of the original theme anywhere on the soundtrack, and no callbacks to any previous stuff that I have noticed. I'll have to listen to it a few times to be sure, but so far the closest it got was a slight variation on it on one track ("117"), and that may just be me hearing something that isn't there. There is some choral-voice stuff - mostly women though. There are a few tracks (especially "Arrival") that sound like they are straight out of a later Bungie entry in the series, so they didn't totally go off the path or anything.

I suppose this doesn't mean the usual main theme won't appear somewhere like the title screen, but at least in all past soundtracks they included pretty much everything. Kind of disappointed that the heavier sounding version of the original theme that was heard at the end of the original teaser isn't present in some form.

Edit - read elsewhere that there's a redone version of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyDZscyf8lU

...in Halo 4, but it's definitely not on the soundtrack. Here's a Youtube vid of the Halo 4 version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXsQOVE5H1Q

Pretty fucking annoying it's not on the soundtrack.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm surprised by the above info. I guess they really are trying to distinguish it as a new trilogy, even though it's a sequel to an old trilogy.

The soundtrack is only $7.99 shipped at Best Buy for those interested. And, the LE version of the soundtrack doesn't come out until 11/6 due to some revealing info, I guess. I'd like to get that LE set, but can't justify an additional $62 for the remix cd and some swell looking I'll probably end up putting in storage.

Yeah it's also $7.99 on Amazon right now, noticed it because they refunded me 2 bucks.

Was tempted by the fancy soundtrack edition, but not for the price they're asking.

So the limited edition of the soundtrack has actual exclusives? As opposed to the limited edition of the game? What the hell...

Jesus Christ. CTF has auto-pick up on the flag, and you can't drop it? WTF is 343i thinking. I eagerly await the patch when people flip out because they're trying to clear the enemy flag area out but accidentally walk over the flag and the game fucks them over. I'm also just learning that the pistol you get has a 40% damage boost when carrying the flag and you have a waypoint on you constantly.

I'm starting to turn more and more on this game. I wanted to give it a new shot, but goddamn...

Edit: You can cap without the flag being home now? WHAT IS HAPPENING..

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Jesus Christ. CTF has auto-pick up on the flag, and you can't drop it?
[/QUOTE]

I'm not in the "MP has gotten worse with every game" camp, but auto flag pick-up and not being able to drop it sounds terrible.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Edit: You can cap without the flag being home now? WHAT IS HAPPENING..[/QUOTE]
You could capture the flag without your flag being home in Halo 3. I thought all the games were like that?

[quote name='The Ebbtide']You could capture the flag without your flag being home in Halo 3. I thought all the games were like that?[/QUOTE]

Negative. Depended on the gametype, but by default you needed the flag home to cap it.

In my eyes, this takes half the game away. Why would any team waste time playing defense now? Any competent team would just play midfield/offense the whole time. Also, since there's a goddamn waypoint on you at all times when carrying, if your flag IS taken, you can always flock to the waypoint.

About a month ago, finally completed Reach. Looking to complet Halo 2 on computer now, and will have 2,3,ODST,Reach,CE Anniversary all completed. Then its on to stressville, population 1, for Halo Wars! AK!

Has anybody tried the Doritos or Mountain Dew Game Fuel for the Halo 4 extra goodies? I'm supposing the main thing is double XP, but I haven't read anywhere else if there are other goodies to be had. Regardless, will be picking up some Dew from local K-mart for the weekend!

So long as you actually earn those achievements, that's all that matters. I still think I'm the only person who actually earned the Save This [Video] achievement. It's the achieving them that makes them fun, especially in the Halo series.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Negative. Depended on the gametype, but by default you needed the flag home to cap it.

In my eyes, this takes half the game away. Why would any team waste time playing defense now? Any competent team would just play midfield/offense the whole time. Also, since there's a goddamn waypoint on you at all times when carrying, if your flag IS taken, you can always flock to the waypoint.[/QUOTE]

I always hated CTF because of the flag bouncing crap and 90% of the games ended with maybe one flag getting scored. 343i has been testing this stuff out and we haven't even gotten a chance to play it. Judge it once you play it.

[quote name='The Ebbtide']So the limited edition of the soundtrack has actual exclusives? As opposed to the limited edition of the game? What the hell...[/QUOTE]

It comes with some remixes not on the standard version (although there is a download code in the standard version that lets you get 3 of the remixes, along with 3 tracks left off the soundtrack).

So disregarding all the bonus crap that is unrelated to the music (picture disc, bonus DVD, numbered copy, etc) you get a few extra remixes.

[quote name='slickkill77']I always hated CTF because of the flag bouncing crap[/QUOTE]
It was nice how they addressed that with the flag reset in Reach. I never understand why people can only play with exploits rather than just playing the game as it was designed to be played.

[quote name='KaneRobot']It comes with some remixes not on the standard version (although there is a download code in the standard version that lets you get 3 of the remixes, along with 3 tracks left off the soundtrack).[/QUOTE]
Are the downloads only through Xbox Music, or can you get them as MP3s?

I wish you could get the special edition from stores, as I have so much store credit to Amazon and GameStop.

[quote name='The Ebbtide']It was nice how they addressed that with the flag reset in Reach. I never understand why people can only play with exploits rather than just playing the game as it was designed to be played.

Are the downloads only through Xbox Music, or can you get them as MP3s?

I wish you could get the special edition from stores, as I have so much store credit to Amazon and GameStop.[/QUOTE]

They got rid of flag bouncing back with the original Halo 2 patch. Flag bouncing is not the same as flag throwing.

[quote name='The Ebbtide']Are the downloads only through Xbox Music, or can you get them as MP3s?
[/QUOTE]

You just go to a website, enter your code, and download the MP3s.

[quote name='The Ebbtide']It was nice how they addressed that with the flag reset in Reach. I never understand why people can only play with exploits rather than just playing the game as it was designed to be played.

[/QUOTE]

Because I don't care how a designer wants me to play their game, if I find a way that works and the majority have a hard time dealing with it, guess what I'm going to do?

I've been iffy about the MP from the start, especially since the one in Reach sucked, but Gears 3 is a joke online now and I need to get my shootin' fix.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']WHAT IS HAPPENING..[/QUOTE]

This is why, in my mind, only Bungie could do Halo right. Microsoft, they just do whatever they know is mainstream and will sell better.

[quote name='Strider Turbulence']Because I don't care how a designer wants me to play their game, if I find a way that works and the majority have a hard time dealing with it, guess what I'm going to do?[/QUOTE]
So modders, hackers, idle glitchers, and lag switchers are all legitimate players in your own words? Why play the game if you can't play it?

This is why online gaming sucks. Losers justify their actions because it makes them feel good.

[quote name='The Ebbtide']So modders, hackers, idle glitchers, and lag switchers are all legitimate players in your own words? Why play the game if you can't play it?

This is why online gaming sucks. Losers justify their actions because it makes them feel good.[/QUOTE]
I don't think throwing a flag to move faster is the same as lag switching. Maybe its just me

[quote name='dotCody']This is why, in my mind, only Bungie could do Halo right. Microsoft, they just do whatever they know is mainstream and will sell better.[/QUOTE]

Disagree. Even Bungie couldn't do Halo right with 3 and Reach, (the MP portions at least, I found the SP experiences in both games to be very, very good) . A Halo game is not even on the MLG circuit currently.

This is speaking from a competitive standpoint of course and I understand they made Halo more noob-friendly to attract more players, but there's enough players like me who are saddened with each release seeing the MP portion turn into some bastard mix of all the other popular FPSes.

ALL that said, I'm still willing to give it a shot. I just have to constantly tell myself this is not Halo 2 nor will it ever be Halo 2.

While I never played much Halo 3 MP, I actually didnt mind Reach aside from the armor abilities. Still, I welcome a Halo 4 MP that would be more similar to 1 or 2...

[quote name='GUNNM']I don't think throwing a flag to move faster is the same as lag switching. Maybe its just me[/QUOTE]
It helps if you pay attention to the statements in the quotes. Maybe it's just me who comprehends, though.

He concedes it's not how the game is meant to be played. The game makers even establish a system against it the recent game. It literally fits the definition of a cheat.

Why do people try to make exceptions for cheats, rather than just play the game? Or they could just go play another game?

[quote name='The Ebbtide']So modders, hackers, idle glitchers, and lag switchers are all legitimate players in your own words? Why play the game if you can't play it?

This is why online gaming sucks. Losers justify their actions because it makes them feel good.[/QUOTE]

Really, dude? Are you seriously trying to throw words in my mouth? You were talking about exploits and not playing the game designers intended and you just go full on with things that are blatant cheating.
I'll make it clear, if it is in the game, it is fair game. I don't care how cheap, broken, or disliked it is. I play to win and will use whatever tools the game allows me to use. Everyone who plays the game has access to the same tools, whether they use it or not is up to them. Lots of games at higher levels of play usually revolve around stuff that were developer oversights anyway (like say, oh....combos in Street Fighter II).

That said, modding, hacking, lagging is cheating, no different than punching your opponent or unplugging his controller if you played locally. I don't approve of this junk at all. I play games like Halo to constantly improve myself, so boosting, hacking and all that stuff has no appeal to me since I would just be lying to myself.

Also, big LMAO at your last sentence. I compete in fighting game tournaments and well aware of my own skill level. Sorry, try again.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Disagree. Even Bungie couldn't do Halo right with 3 and Reach, (the MP portions at least, I found the SP experiences in both games to be very, very good) . A Halo game is not even on the MLG circuit currently.

This is speaking from a competitive standpoint of course and I understand they made Halo more noob-friendly to attract more players, but there's enough players like me who are saddened with each release seeing the MP portion turn into some bastard mix of all the other popular FPSes.

ALL that said, I'm still willing to give it a shot. I just have to constantly tell myself this is not Halo 2 nor will it ever be Halo 2.[/QUOTE]

Why is it that the MLG crowd always wants the game to stay the same. Or that's the feeling I get. Whenever I see a "competitive player" complain its always about the changes. If they didn't change anything in the multiplayer the game would get boring. That's why they give people options. Gamers always bitch about COD being the same game every year and they still buy it because it's solid and adds new things. Obviously its not for everyone. I got sick of playing the add cod series but I can see why people enjoy it.

I'd rather have a game try to push the boundaries and fix things rather than stay stagnant. As long as they give players the option to change things how they'd like then I don't see the issue. I really find it hard to see any major flaws with Halo 4. Obviously I haven't played it, but with the number of modes, and options it has, I find it hard to believe people are still dissatisfied.

I loved Halo 2. I played it more than any of the other ones combined (multiplayer wise), but having to learn things like BXR and double shot just to stay competitive made the game a pain in the ass at the same time. I grew out of Halo multiplayer during 3 and Reach, but not because of the changes they made. I was just seeking out a different kind of game.

[quote name='slickkill77']Why is it that the MLG crowd always wants the game to stay the same. Or that's the feeling I get. Whenever I see a "competitive player" complain its always about the changes. If they didn't change anything in the multiplayer the game would get boring. That's why they give people options. Gamers always bitch about COD being the same game every year and they still buy it because it's solid and adds new things. Obviously its not for everyone. I got sick of playing the add cod series but I can see why people enjoy it.

I'd rather have a game try to push the boundaries and fix things rather than stay stagnant. As long as they give players the option to change things how they'd like then I don't see the issue. I really find it hard to see any major flaws with Halo 4. Obviously I haven't played it, but with the number of modes, and options it has, I find it hard to believe people are still dissatisfied.

I loved Halo 2. I played it more than any of the other ones combined (multiplayer wise), but having to learn things like BXR and double shot just to stay competitive made the game a pain in the ass at the same time. I grew out of Halo multiplayer during 3 and Reach, but not because of the changes they made. I was just seeking out a different kind of game.[/QUOTE]

They've lessened the skill gap game by game. That doesn't sit well with competitive players. Halo 2 was largely a finesse game and had the perfect combo of what Bungie called the holy trinity, guns, nades, melee.

Halo 3 ruined that by adding equipment. Halo Reach further ruined it by having AAs and their absolutely atrocious melee system.

Sure, take the button glitches out, perfectly fine, but don't fix what ain't broke.

bread's done
Back