HD DVD thread - Toshiba: HD DVD DISCONTINUED, REPAIR/SUPPORT CONTINUES, NO BLU PLANS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Engadget:

IT'S OVER! The release just hit the wires even before Toshiba started talking. "Toshiba Announces Discontinuation of HD DVD Businesses." More in a sec.

Edit - full release

http://www.toshiba.co.jp/about/press/2008_02/pr1903.htm

Toshiba Announces Discontinuation of HD DVD Businesses

19 February, 2008

Company Remains Focused on Championing Consumer Access to High Definition Content

TOKYO--Toshiba Corporation today announced that it has undertaken a thorough review of its overall strategy for HD DVD and has decided it will no longer develop, manufacture and market HD DVD players and recorders. This decision has been made following recent major changes in the market. Toshiba will continue, however, to provide full product support and after-sales service for all owners of Toshiba HD DVD products.

HD DVD was developed to offer consumers access at an affordable price to high-quality, high definition content and prepare them for the digital convergence of tomorrow where the fusion of consumer electronics and IT will continue to progress.

"We carefully assessed the long-term impact of continuing the so-called 'next-generation format war' and concluded that a swift decision will best help the market develop," said Atsutoshi Nishida, President and CEO of Toshiba Corporation. "While we are disappointed for the company and more importantly, for the consumer, the real mass market opportunity for high definition content remains untapped and Toshiba is both able and determined to use our talent, technology and intellectual property to make digital convergence a reality."

Toshiba will continue to lead innovation, in a wide range of technologies that will drive mass market access to high definition content. These include high capacity NAND flash memory, small form factor hard disk drives, next generation CPUs, visual processing, and wireless and encryption technologies. The company expects to make forthcoming announcements around strategic progress in these convergence technologies.

Toshiba will begin to reduce shipments of HD DVD players and recorders to retail channels, aiming for cessation of these businesses by the end of March 2008. Toshiba also plans to end volume production of HD DVD disk drives for such applications as PCs and games in the same timeframe, yet will continue to make efforts to meet customer requirements. The company will continue to assess the position of notebook PCs with integrated HD DVD drives within the overall PC business relative to future market demand.

This decision will not impact on Toshiba's commitment to standard DVD, and the company will continue to market conventional DVD players and recorders. Toshiba intends to continue to contribute to the development of the DVD industry, as a member of the DVD Forum, an international organization with some 200 member companies, committed to the discussion and defining of optimum optical disc formats for the consumer and the related industries.

Toshiba also intends to maintain collaborative relations with the companies who joined with Toshiba in working to build up the HD DVD market, including Universal Studios, Paramount Pictures, and DreamWorks Animation and major Japanese and European content providers on the entertainment side, as well as leaders in the IT industry, including Microsoft, Intel, and HP. Toshiba will study possible collaboration with these companies for future business opportunities, utilizing the many assets generated through the development of HD DVD.

Would be nice if "support" means they'll continue firmware, but who knows if that's what they are talking about.

Just waiting to see if everything gets cancelled now or if there are still a few weeks of releases left.

[quote name='getmyrunon']Oh come on, what sore loser deleted my post containing the youtube vid? It was hilarious.[/QUOTE]
Now is not the time for trolling...

[quote name='nonggame']Finally!!!!! ^__^[/QUOTE]
Finally what?

Well, to "celebrate" all this, I'm ordering a refurbed XA2 when I get my check this week. :)

It's been a swell run...don't know if I'll buy any more discs, we'll see. Maybe Beowulf or Bee Movie if they come out. Shitty movies but nice showpiece discs.

New thread coming Wednesday.

Why would we need more firmware? If im not mistaken firmware is for new films that are incompatible with the current player. No new film then why would they need new firmware?

A sad day indeed. I will hold onto my player and pick up as many films as I can in the madness that is shortly to follow.

[quote name='MSUHitman']So what will be the last new HD-DVD's released in retail? Anything after American Gangster tomorrow and Beowulf next week?[/quote]

I Am Legend is slated for HD-DVD

let's hope at least some of the closer to release titles stay on schedule (like freedom..... hopefully bandai will release the rest of the series, since they are half way there)

[quote name='dallow']I'm glad I'm not most people.

I only know of a couple BDs with average bitrates in the range you're talking about, coincidently, they have visual problems that aren't source related.[/QUOTE]

So which tools are you using to measure bitrate? Because it's widely known the PS3's bitrate indicator is woefully inacurate...

[quote name='anomynous']I would assume all future releases are cancelled, or going to blu.

And blu ray add on am confirmed pretty much.[/QUOTE]

I think it depends on whether or not they're printed or mastered. Obviously, the new releases for today are coming out still.

If a studio has a warehouse with a few thousand copies of an HD DVD , why not send it to retail?

You could also deal with future releases, which genuinely isn't out of the question. Why not ask the "Naked in the Water" dudes what they think? Indy studios might differ from WB, who might differ from Universal and Paramount - and let's keep in mind that, just because HD DVD is no more, that they're still a (small) possibility that they won't jump to BD immediately.

[quote name='thrustbucket']So which tools are you using to measure bitrate? Because it's widely known the PS3's bitrate indicator is woefully inacurate...[/quote]I'm going by info from users like Xylon.

Just changed my home page to Amazon's HD DVD front page.

P.S. I have to believe some Blu-Ray players in the future will offer some sort of HD DVD playback. I'm talking about well after the last HD DVD title has been released and after the firesales are all over. The format was around long enough to justify giving people the ability to continue to use the media, I think. Or...is it more important for them to force us to 'double-dip'? If so, fuck THAT.

[quote name='jollydwarf']Just changed my home page to Amazon's HD DVD front page.

P.S. I have to believe some Blu-Ray players in the future will offer some sort of HD DVD playback. I'm talking about well after the last HD DVD title has been released and after the firesales are all over. The format was around long enough to justify giving people the ability to continue to use the media, I think. Or...is it more important for them to force us to 'double-dip'? If so, fuck THAT.[/QUOTE]

Studios have shown more and more that they do expect us to double dip. I guess they can't pump out enough new good original content to make enough money. This is another reason I am opting out (for now) from the HDM fiasco.

[quote name='Lice']Why would we need more firmware? If im not mistaken firmware is for new films that are incompatible with the current player. No new film then why would they need new firmware?[/QUOTE]

Firmware does do stuff besides improve compatiblity with discs. In the past there have been some issues that new firmware has fixed or at least improved.

Weird...I saw something on Monday that said Universal was releasing Blu-Ray titles, now this. Surprised there hasn't been a press release yet.

Also, highdefdigest has been raped into oblivion. Wonder how long it'll be down.

I was about to post a sarcastic response about GS's $15 for the add-on, but I suppose they're not likely to make much on them if no-one wants them.

I've only got about 10 HD-DVDs so hopefully there's plenty of scope for me to take advantage of any fire sales (here's hoping).

Well, it's a shame Toshiba threw in the towel but hopefully Microsoft will release a Blu-Ray attachment fairly quickly, Blu-Ray companies will continue releasing region free titles (I love imports), HDi will eventually be able to be used on Blu-Ray (I fucking hate BD-J) and the current (plus some new) releases slated for HD-DVD will still be released.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Now is not the time for trolling...[/QUOTE]

A) You can look at my post history and see that I rarely participate in this thread and B) never as a troll and C) Regardless, it was hardly a troll post. I've seen far worse graphics/videos posted making fun of BR after events like the Paramount switch, etc, and I laughed at those too. If you can't learn to laugh at this whole situation it's just going to be a long and bitter time for everyone.

Why do you hate BD-J?
Have you programmed for it? Have you used it?

You won't see HDi on BD titles. Though it can be used on BD, no players support it, and they won't in the future.

[quote name='getmyrunon']A) You can look at my post history and see that I rarely participate in this thread and B) never as a troll and C) Regardless, it was hardly a troll post. I've seen far worse graphics/videos posted making fun of BR after events like the Paramount switch, etc, and I laughed at those too. If you can't learn to laugh at this whole situation it's just going to be a long and bitter time for everyone.[/QUOTE]

A) It wasn't funny B) yes it was a troll C) this is not the place for them you retard

[quote name='dallow']Why do you hate BD-J?

You won't see HDi on BD titles. Though it can be used on BD, no players support it, and they won't in the future.[/QUOTE]

It's shit compared to HDi, even a Blu-Ray development board agreed with that.

It was shady politics that kept HDi from being selected as the official interactive platform for Blu-Ray.

[quote name='dallow']Why do you hate BD-J?

You won't see HDi on BD titles. Though it can be used on BD, no players support it, and they won't in the future.[/QUOTE]

It's complete shit compared to HDi, even a Blu-Ray development board agreed with that.

It's was shady politics that kept HDi from being selected as the official interactive platform for Blu-Ray.

[quote name='dallow']Oh, so you have no experience with it.[/QUOTE]

And you do?

I think the fact that Blu-Ray's extras are way behind HD-DVDs and the fact that a technical commission that the BDA put together said that HDi was the better solution backs me up.

-------------------------

It's nice to see good news on a pretty bad day.

In spite of today's announcement by Toshiba declaring the death of HD DVD, Paramount Home Entertainment has announced the 2007 epic There Will Be Blood, starring Daniel Day Lewis, will be released April 8 on HD DVD. The release is day-and-date with the standard DVD version.

There Will Be Blood will be presented on HD DVD in a two-disc set with widescreen 1080p video and Dolby TrueHD 5.1 lossless audio.

No special features will be exclusive to the HD DVD version. The partial list we've received thus far includes the following.

Additional Scenes (15 minutes)
The Story of Petroleum featurette
There Will Be Blood - Pics, Research, Etc featurette
Teaser and theatrical trailers

http://www.themanroom.com/news/There_Will_Be_Blood_Coming_to_HD_DVD/2170

http://www.amazon.com/There-Will-Be-Blood-DVD/dp/B0013FSKZS

I can't wait.

[quote name='benjamouth']I was about to post a sarcastic response about GS's $15 for the add-on, but I suppose they're not likely to make much on them if no-one wants them.

I've only got about 10 HD-DVDs so hopefully there's plenty of scope for me to take advantage of any fire sales (here's hoping).[/QUOTE]

If they resell the Add-on for $40, I'd buy one (esp since it qualifies for Edge discount since it's classified as "accessory" and not "hardware").

I still have my one HD DVD, and nothing to view it on.

[quote name='Sporadic']And you do?

I think the fact that Blu-Ray's extras are way behind HD-DVDs and the fact that a technical commission that the BDA put together said that HDi was the better solution backs me up.[/quote]

My question was why YOU hated BD-J.
I know all about how it was snuck in there in the first place.

Yes, I have experience with it.
I own dozens of BD movies. They play without a hitch.
As I'm sure HDi films do too on HD DVD.

So basically, you hate it, because certain execs hate it.

Great news about TWBB...I wasn't honestly expecting that.

[quote name='getmyrunon']A) You can look at my post history and see that I rarely participate in this thread and B) never as a troll and C) Regardless, it was hardly a troll post. I've seen far worse graphics/videos posted making fun of BR after events like the Paramount switch, etc, and I laughed at those too. If you can't learn to laugh at this whole situation it's just going to be a long and bitter time for everyone.[/QUOTE]

I didn't even see what you put, and I couldn't care less what it was. You asked who deleted it, I offered the best answer I could. Regardless, you should know better...responses in video form generally aren't funny anyway.

[quote name='mykevermin']I still have my one HD DVD, and nothing to view it on.[/QUOTE]
What is it?

[quote name='dallow']My question was why YOU hated BD-J.[/quote]
I'm not Sporadic, but the fact that BD can't duplicate all of HD DVD's features right now is enough for me not to be a big fan of it.

Not sure why you're intent on fighting this to the death - disregarding a "format war," shouldn't people want to have the most advanced features?

[quote name='dallow']Yes, I have experience with it.
I own dozens of BD movies. They play without a hitch.
As I'm sure HDi films do too on HD DVD.[/quote]
I'm not Sporadic, but the fact that BD can't duplicate all of HD DVD's features right now is enough for me not to be a big fan of it.

Not sure why you're intent on fighting this to the death - disregarding a "format war," shouldn't people want to have the most advanced features?

There Will Be Blood will make a great "last one out, hit the lights" title and I'll definitely be picking it up on HD DVD.

How long till Paramount announces blu ray support?

[quote name='krobot']I'm not Sporadic, but the fact that BD can't duplicate all of HD DVD's features right now is enough for me not to be a big fan of it.

Not sure why you're intent on fighting this to the death - disregarding a "format war," shouldn't people want to have the most advanced features?[/quote]

It can, it's just up to the players.

I don't care about BD-J, or HDi.
I just laugh when I see him so fervent about hating something he's never used, or only because of what the execs state.

[quote name='mykevermin']If they resell the Add-on for $40, I'd buy one (esp since it qualifies for Edge discount since it's classified as "accessory" and not "hardware").

I still have my one HD DVD, and nothing to view it on.[/quote]

Really? You'd spend $40 just to view one HD-DVD.

Damn Myke, you and your wife must have a Lobster dinner while sitting in your champagne jacuzzi lighting cuban cigars with $100 bills every night ;)

Studios have shown more and more that they do expect us to double dip.

Or triple-dip. Or quadruple-dip. Or, uh, Lucasuple-dip....

[quote name='Sporadic']C) this is not the place for them you retard[/QUOTE]

You're entitled to your opinion but the retard part is completely unnecessary. For some reason people think that pointing out HD-DVD's flaws is akin to making fun of them personally. Don't understand that.

To move this thread back on track: what happens to the HD-DVD production lines? Can they be converted into BR lines relatively easily or what? I don't understand the tech involved in the pressing of discs.

[quote name='getmyrunon']You're entitled to your opinion but the retard part is completely unnecessary. For some reason people think that pointing out HD-DVD's flaws is akin to making fun of them personally. Don't understand that.[/QUOTE]

Completely unnecessary like posting photoshops of the mighty Blu-Ray reaching out for fallen HD-DVD's hand or videos of Toshiba depicted as Hitler?

- edit [quote name='KaneRobot']I'm not Sporadic, but the fact that BD can't duplicate all of HD DVD's features right now is enough for me not to be a big fan of it.

Not sure why you're intent on fighting this to the death - disregarding a "format war," shouldn't people want to have the most advanced features?[/QUOTE]

KaneRobot summed it up perfectly.

BD-J doesn't work as well as HDi and it was very shadily selected. That's the reason I don't like it, not because of what some exec said.

It's always funny how I back my positions up with facts and past history while you do nothing. Tell me, why shouldn't I hate BD-J?

[quote name='benjamouth']Really? You'd spend $40 just to view one HD-DVD.

Damn Myke, you and your wife must have a Lobster dinner while sitting in your champagne jacuzzi lighting cuban cigars with $100 bills every night ;)[/QUOTE]

If only the US embargo on Cuban goods would change as we're long out of that archaic age, I could have that cuban cigar. Booyah.

Kane, I bought a copy of Big Lebowski a few months back, just for the hell of it. I think I spent $11 total.

Because you've never used a BD-J enabled disc Sporadic. That's why.

I see it doing pretty much the same shit for menus.
It may be harder to program for, but it achieves the same results.

It's up to the players to hang with it.

[quote name='dallow']Because you've never used a BD-J enabled disc Sporadic. That's why.
[/QUOTE]

That's not it.

I bet I could go use a BD-J enabled disc and it wouldn't magically validate my opinion in your mind.

Just because I don't own a Blu-Ray player, that suddenly change the facts that Blu-Ray is lagging behind HD-DVD when it comes to extras and that a BDA technical committee said HDi was a better choice over BD-J?

FYI:
February 19, 2008 - GameStop this morning confirmed that the major gaming retailer will no longer accept HD DVD items for trade-in. That includes used HD discs or Xbox 360 HD DVD add-on drives. The policy – which virtually ensures that your additional HD drive will become a dinosaur in your own living room – takes effect today.
http://dvd.ign.com/articles/853/853070p1.html?RSSwhen2008-02-19_104800&RSSid=853070

Not like they were giving anything worthwile for them anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back